rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Well...

Wine Shopper has Iron Horse Unoaked Chardonnay 2009 Price: $26.00 $17.99 Save $8.01 (31%)

Don't have my notes/receipts for what I paid on the tour. Anyone have notes what we paid?

CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
rjquillin wrote:Well...

Wine Shopper has Iron Horse Unoaked Chardonnay 2009 Price: $26.00 $17.99 Save $8.01 (31%)

Don't have my notes/receipts for what I paid on the tour. Anyone have notes what we paid?

We paid full retail of $26 per bottle. Exact same year. It was tasty.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
cmaldoon wrote:We paid full retail of $26 per bottle. Exact same year. It was tasty.

Yes, great Chardonnay. I've got a bottle coming as well.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:We paid full retail of $26 per bottle. Exact same year. It was tasty.

Coffee finally kicking in. I think I recall the 5% half-case discount.
/vent
Kinda frustrating when we see these sales after a visit. IH was a great visit, but clearly could have done us well with this pricing, and gained some cred and not pay a middle man as well.
/vent off

CT

redwinefan

In another case of Wine.com/WineShopper.com state-by-state weirdness, WineShopper won't ship the IH Unoaked Chard to Texas even though Wine.com will ship it to Texas yet Wine.com charges above the retail price to Texas customers (28.99)

Here's to hoping WCC sources some of this at the discount price for sale here on Woot.

I also just noticed the on Wine.com, some states can get the IH 2010 Estate Chardonnay (we didn't taste this one at the RPM tour) for $19.99.

redwinefan

Also, for those with Steward-Ship, it looks like you can get the IH Unoaked Chard on Wine.com for the same price as WineShopper in some states. I'm shipping some to my mom's place in Ohio.

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:Coffee finally kicking in. I think I recall the 5% half-case discount.
/vent
Kinda frustrating when we see these sales after a visit. IH was a great visit, but clearly could have done us well with this pricing, and gained some cred and not pay a middle man as well.
/vent off

I don't find it that frustrating. The nice thing here is you've already tasted it and can make a good informed decision on whether or not to get more :-) tons better than taking a chance on a complete unknown!

My Cellar

rjquillin

cmaldoon wrote:I don't find it that frustrating. The nice thing here is you've already tasted it and can make a good informed decision on whether or not to get more :-) tons better than taking a chance on a complete unknown!

It appears we'll just have to disagree on this one then. Your positive spin is fine and commendable, and tasting before purchasing, a plus. But that may well have been a paid tasting. Purchasing at full list, not a plus, when clearly, as is here demonstrated, it can and is sold for substantially less, as other stops we made also proved.

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:It appears we'll just have to disagree on this one then. Your positive spin is fine and commendable, and tasting before purchasing, a plus. But that may well have been a paid tasting. Purchasing at full list, not a plus, when clearly, as is here demonstrated, it can and is sold for substantially less, as other stops we made also proved.

It's important to keep in mind that when a wine is sold by InVino or TSO or whatnot, it almost always comes from the distributor and not the winery directly (this is where woot is different).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cmaldoon

kylemittskus wrote:It's important to keep in mind that when a wine is sold by InVino or TSO or whatnot, it almost always comes from the distributor and not the winery directly (this is where woot is different).

Also of note: a 3 year old unoaked chardonnay has a LOT more value to the winery that made it to sell directly, pour it in a tasting room, and prove that it is drinking well than it does to some distributor who has had it for a year or two and to whose customers it is yet another long in tooth russian river chardonnay

My Cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 73 Private Messages trifecta

Anyone interested in the aged syrah from mt veeder up on lastbottle right now? Sub $20. Sounds like it would be my style, but I just can't commit to 6 bottles for the FS.

Has anybody tried this?
Anyone in the bay want to split?

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

wineshopper is busy today, now they have:

DeLoach Heritage Reserve Pinot Noir $99/case delivered.

rjquillin

bsevern wrote:wineshopper is busy today, now they have:

DeLoach Heritage Reserve Pinot Noir $99/case delivered.

Pretty spotty ratings for different vintages, and nothing for the '11.
Reporting sold out, but it added a case to the cart.

Anybody actually tried this?

CT

bsevern

rjquillin wrote:Pretty spotty ratings for different vintages, and nothing for the '11.
Reporting sold out, but it added a case to the cart.

Anybody actually tried this?

I checked the reviews after posting, and yeah they're meh. I have a bottle of 2009 De Loach Pinot Noir Private Collection Sonoma Coast, but it's a baby, needs to rest for a few more years.

bdlsmoran

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bdlsmoran

Cheapskate Wednesday today on WTSO

cortot20

quality posts: 153 Private Messages cortot20
bdlsmoran wrote:Cheapskate Wednesday today on WTSO

Which shipper do they use?

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:Which shipper do they use?

Not sure if you have your choice, but I receive my shipments in CA via FedEx from them.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
cortot20 wrote:Which shipper do they use?

don't know, but they will hold the wine til it gets cooler!

bsevern

Iron Horse chard, Buena Vista Ramal Vineyard Estate Syrah, Chateau Ste. Michelle Eroica Riesling, a couple others that look interesting.

Anyone tried the Ravenswood Old Vine zin?

wineshopper's making it difficult to stay the course on my wine buying moratorium....sigh.

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
bsevern wrote:Iron Horse chard, Buena Vista Ramal Vineyard Estate Syrah, Chateau Ste. Michelle Eroica Riesling, a couple others that look interesting.

wineshopper's making it difficult to stay the course on my wine buying moratorium....sigh.

I'm pretending really hard I don't know about it to preserve my budget.

I'm just hanging out, really.

redwinefan

bsevern wrote:

I think that is one of their mass-market, supermarket wines. The only Ravenswood I seem to like these days are the single vineyard designates (which can be quite good) or the Icon.

bsevern

redwinefan wrote:I think that is one of their mass-market, supermarket wines. The only Ravenswood I seem to like these days are the single vineyard designates (which can be quite good) or the Icon.

Thanks, I figured for the price it was too inexpensive to be good.

I've never tried Ravenswood, although I see them everywhere. We had some 2007 Grenache here from their wine maker, but it was under his own label - "Mathis Grenache". Haven't opened a bottle yet though.

It's a shame Iron Horse didn't give some kind of discount (5% on a case is trivial). I'm positive that we pre-paid tasting fees at almost all of the wineries we visited (would be kind of nice to know what we did pay for). I loved that $85/bottle pinot, but didn't love it $85's worth as I've had better at almost half the price

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

Anyone want to chime in on the recent offerings on tso. Nothing really appealed to me except for the 2008 clone 7 paso robles cab for $10. A review of the offerings can be found here.

http://winehoarder.com/

Glad I came away w/o a purchase this time of year.

rjquillin

bud8jr wrote:Anyone want to chime in on the recent offerings on tso. Nothing really appealed to me except for the 2008 clone 7 paso robles cab for $10. A review of the offerings can be found here.

http://winehoarder.com/

Glad I came away w/o a purchase this time of year.

That cab was my only purchase...

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
rjquillin wrote:That cab was my only purchase...

I picked up the 4 x Quixote Panza Syrah Stags' Leap Ranch 2008 Napa Valley = $63.96. They had offered this before with a bottle of 2005 and 2006, as well. I found the 2008 to be a good value and was glad to see it offered again.

bsevern

Went to BevMo to look for some Govino cups for a Nevada road trip coming up on a 5-day Labor Day weekend trip with friends, that was all I was supposed to get, being on a buying moratorium and all.

I caved....darn 5c sale!

Ended up with:

2 2007 Torii Mor Deux Verres Reserve Pinot Noir

2 2010 Vigilance Cimarron (I just tasted at the winery a couple of weeks ago, very nice claret style blend, mountain fruit grown in high elevation red volcanic earth)

2 2010 Vigilance Petite Sirah (also mountain fruit grown in high elevation red volcanic earth)

I gotta work on this buying moratorium thing

cmaldoon

Wtso has a 42!!! Year old Brunello up for (only) $430. A bit rich for my taste

My Cellar

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr
jmdavidson wrote:I picked up the 4 x Quixote Panza Syrah Stags' Leap Ranch 2008 Napa Valley = $63.96. They had offered this before with a bottle of 2005 and 2006, as well. I found the 2008 to be a good value and was glad to see it offered again.

Thats a good find. What was the "other" price they claimed? Let us know how you liked it.

bsevern

Wow...WTSO 1970 Brunello!

Biondi Santi Reserva 1970 Brunello Di Montalcino Tenuta Il Greppo

Can be yours for only $429.99!

angryprez

quality posts: 0 Private Messages angryprez
jmdavidson wrote:I picked up the 4 x Quixote Panza Syrah Stags' Leap Ranch 2008 Napa Valley = $63.96. They had offered this before with a bottle of 2005 and 2006, as well. I found the 2008 to be a good value and was glad to see it offered again.

Most of what they offered was not too interesting - my only buy was 4 x Tenuta dei Sette Cieli Indaco Super Tuscan 2006 = $71.96 -- bought it before from WTSO at $21.99 and liked it, so bit again at $17.99

redwinefan

angryprez wrote:Most of what they offered was not too interesting - my only buy was 4 x Tenuta dei Sette Cieli Indaco Super Tuscan 2006 = $71.96 -- bought it before from WTSO at $21.99 and liked it, so bit again at $17.99

I feel good having escaped without a single purchase, and I agree that nothing seemed that compelling. Based on their Facebook posts, they sold quite a load of wine on Wednesday so the offers must've appealed to somebody.

redwinefan

Last Bottle Marathon Mania #2 on Friday.

Unlike WTSO Cheapskate Wed, I am guessing this one will be dangerous to my wallet. Free shipping on all orders.

bsevern

redwinefan wrote:Last Bottle Marathon Mania #2 on Friday.

Unlike WTSO Cheapskate Wed, I am guessing this one will be dangerous to my wallet. Free shipping on all orders.

The last one had some great wines and deals...BUT they royally screwed my orders up. Half the stuff that I got, they later emailed me and apologized that they over sold...and it was all the really good stuff that I thought I landed.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bsevern wrote:The last one had some great wines and deals...BUT they royally screwed my orders up. Half the stuff that I got, they later emailed me and apologized that they over sold...and it was all the really good stuff that I thought I landed.

Looking forward to this, but my wallet is not. I did what any respectable cheap-ass would do and and got some nice referral credits for myself using a couple accounts that last time around. I need to check my accounts cause I might have some credits lined up that this could make tomorrow less expense to me.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:Looking forward to this, but my wallet is not. I did what any respectable cheap-ass would do and and got some nice referral credits for myself using a couple accounts that last time around. I need to check my accounts cause I might have some credits lined up that this could make tomorrow less expense to me.

I have me eye on a single wine. I hope it shows up and I hope I don't miss it. And it's going to hurt my wallet.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
kylemittskus wrote:I have me eye on a single wine. I hope it shows up and I hope I don't miss it. And it's going to hurt my wallet.

What are you looking for?

And you changed your avatar....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus

North316 wrote:What are you looking for?

And you changed your avatar....

I finally figured out how to do it.

And the SQN dessert Chardonnay. It's a 375ml and it was like $79 the last time, IIRC.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
kylemittskus wrote:I finally figured out how to do it.

And that would be how?

kylemittskus

jmdavidson wrote:And that would be how?

Create a gravatar acct. And then on your account page, click on the G and it will put whatever your gravatar photo is.

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:I finally figured out how to do it.

And the SQN dessert Chardonnay. It's a 375ml and it was like $79 the last time, IIRC.

You better be fast on that one!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson