1 2004 Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon
1 2004 Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon
CT links above

Winery website

Atlas Peak on Facebook

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kgw7208

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kgw7208

I thought I was paying attention - I understand what ph is and what that scale means, but can someone enlighten me as to the scale / information the "Acid 6.1/ 6.2" brings?

karenhynes

quality posts: 11 Private Messages karenhynes

Can't resist. In for one!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

chemtyra

quality posts: 2 Private Messages chemtyra

It appears that both of these wines are $85 each on the winery's website. Which means this deal is far better than 50% off.
There also seem to be lots of info from the winemaker on each wine. I might have to jump on this one.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis

Winery claims good reviews for Spring Mountain:

92 Points, Wine Enthusiast February 2009
**** 4 Stars in Decanter
***** 5 Stars in Restaurant Wine
91 points in Connoisseur's Guide to CA Wine

IIRC, Wine Enthusiast is supposed to know what they're talking about?

lassow

quality posts: 133 Private Messages lassow

One of the CT notes on the Mt Veeder, "A napa cab this well crafted for less than $70 is a steal." Not that CT users are always right.

I like to talk about wine, but I'd rather drink it.

hogfatt

quality posts: 16 Private Messages hogfatt

Those poor ribeyes! Looks like some of them made it out decently, but it looks like the middle ones came out WELL... *mourn*

CT Updating, please wait....

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis
kgw7208 wrote:I thought I was paying attention - I understand what ph is and what that scale means, but can someone enlighten me as to the scale / information the "Acid 6.1/ 6.2" brings?

I think I have seen it referred to as "titratable acid" in mass/volume term. If so, that would mean the higher the value, the lower the pH, all else being equal. Because it's a linear scale, where pH is logarithmic, titratable acid will show a bigger range in values vs. the corresponding range in pH.

Here's some more detail.

http://www.wineperspective.com/the_acidity_of_wine.htm

mtrizzzz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtrizzzz

in for 2!

viajerouniversal

quality posts: 21 Private Messages viajerouniversal
kgw7208 wrote:I thought I was paying attention - I understand what ph is and what that scale means, but can someone enlighten me as to the scale / information the "Acid 6.1/ 6.2" brings?

The Acidity of Wine

Total acidity is reported as grams of tartaric acid per 100 mL of wine.

In the U.S., the total acidity (TA) of a wine is measured assuming all the acid is tartaric. This allows one to determine a value for total acidity that is consistent. A high TA is 1.0%. Most people would find this level of acidity too tart and too sour for consumption. A low TA, say 0.4%, results in flat tasting wine that is more susceptible to infection and spoilage by microorganisms. Most red table wines are about 0.6% total acid. White wines are usually a little higher.

A typical premium California Chardonnay has a total acidity of 0.58 grams per 100 mL (0.58%) and a pH of 3.4. It is interesting to compare these values with a total acidity of 1.10 grams per 100 mL (1.10%) and a pH of 2.91 found in a late harvest Johannisberg Riesling with 21% residual sugar. Generally speaking, sweet wines require a higher acidity than table wines to balance the high sugar.

If you drink no Pinot Noir, you Pinot Noir

hogfatt

2004 I assume is drinking well now, how will this develop in the next 5 or so years?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I love mountain cabs, but SIWBM stands, especially for black tie buys.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jdick17

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jdick17

Ooooooooooh Mount Veeder AND Spring Mountain!!!

I so wish I wasn't underemployed at the moment. I would jump so so high.

viajerouniversal

quality posts: 21 Private Messages viajerouniversal
TooOldForThis wrote:I think I have seen it referred to as "titratable acid" in mass/volume term. If so, that would mean the higher the value, the lower the pH, all else being equal. Because it's a linear scale, where pH is logarithmic, titratable acid will show a bigger range in values vs. the corresponding range in pH.

Here's some more detail.

"TooOldButNotTooSlowForThis" beat me to the punch. It's a great paper on wine acidity both on balance and development.

If you drink no Pinot Noir, you Pinot Noir

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

We tasted the Mt. Veeder on this summer's rpm tour during our visit to Buena Vista. It was, to me, very well made, with good dark fruit, nice balance and a tasty finish. I recall others being impressed as well. The price here is a LOT less than we were offered at the time.

One thing we didn't ask was, are these now in the optimal drinking window, and how long can these be held? I hope the winemaker chimes in.

Seriously considering.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

nosnevets

quality posts: 10 Private Messages nosnevets

$35 for good Napa cab. The hole in the pocket is telling me to sleep on it but I think by the light of day I'll be pushing a large button. Atlas Peak mmm.....

Nos

Life is too short and my liver is too fragile to drink bad wine.

mrprickles79

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrprickles79
nosnevets wrote:$35 for good Napa cab. The hole in the pocket is telling me to sleep on it but I think by the light of day I'll be pushing a large button. Atlas Peak mmm.....

i couldnt wait. im mostly waiting for black tie monkey sipper offers now

hogfatt

Well, I'm hovering over the yellow button, I need some more convincing I think.

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
merbill wrote:We tasted the Mt. Veeder on this summer's rpm tour during our visit to Buena Vista. It was, to me, very well made, with good dark fruit, nice balance and a tasty finish. I recall others being impressed as well. The price here is a LOT less than we were offered at the time.

One thing we didn't ask was, are these now in the optimal drinking window, and how long can these be held? I hope the winemaker chimes in.

Seriously considering.

They are indeed in the Buena Vista fold. and merbill knows his wines, folks! Great to hear you on this and I just got my tour notes out.. I'll try to do the rest of the writeups!

I went back to Buena Vista a fortnight ago to choose my club case, and tried the Atlas Cab, thogh it was the Howell. Amazing. As was their claret blend. Huge new world fruit, but quite restrained, balanced in style nonetheless, and (hoggyfat) has the complexity and structure to age nicely well over a decade. I'm not sure what I was drinking.. whatever the winery's selling at the moment, probably 05. But we had 04 on Tour (see below): 04 was a pretty decent vintage if not better, though from what i remember.

Edit: will add more tasting notes when I land in NY in the morning. Re-EDIT: Yay, free wifi on virgin America! And a netbook with great battery.

Right then, my rpm tour Notes for the 2004 Mt Veeder:
- Good strong characterful cab but not huge body.
- Rounded redness, not blackcurrant!
- Good acid, some mineral.
- Dries he mouth (so strong tannins)
- Red, dusty fruit.
- Dry.

3gcellular

quality posts: 0 Private Messages 3gcellular
chemtyra wrote:It appears that both of these wines are $85 each on the winery's website. Which means this deal is far better than 50% off.
There also seem to be lots of info from the winemaker on each wine. I might have to jump on this one.

http://www.carlorussowine.com/r/products/atlas-peak-napa-valley-cabernet-sauvignon-2004?utm_source=Google;utm_medium=Feed

richardhod

mrprickles79 wrote:i couldnt wait. im mostly waiting for black tie monkey sipper offers now

This is very fine, and not an overly-syrupy Napa bomb. Fine fruit, carefully handled. You will not be disappointed! Bet it beats most of the other Napa cabs you ever spent a hundred on. I tried the Howell mountain recently at the winery and liked it a lot more than I remembered, when I tried the Mt Veeder on tour. But my palate has evolved a lot since then. And I know the Mt Veeder was good.

hogfatt

3gcellular wrote:http://www.carlorussowine.com/r/products/atlas-peak-napa-valley-cabernet-sauvignon-2004?utm_source=Google;utm_medium=Feed

$20 shipping for 1 bottle puts it at $51.99. Still a better price than the winery website, but woot is clearly >.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
3gcellular wrote:http://www.carlorussowine.com/r/products/atlas-peak-napa-valley-cabernet-sauvignon-2004?utm_source=Google;utm_medium=Feed

Not the same wine that's being offered here. That one is more of a blend, and goes for $38 on the Atlas Peak website. Probably pretty good tho.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

richardhod

TooOldForThis wrote:I think I have seen it referred to as "titratable acid" in mass/volume term. If so, that would mean the higher the value, the lower the pH, all else being equal. Because it's a linear scale, where pH is logarithmic, titratable acid will show a bigger range in values vs. the corresponding range in pH.

Here's some more detail.

Do some wootgoogling. Some of the clever people like SonomaBouliste and ScottHarveyWines have explained this in ther places. pH and TA are not exactly reverse-correlated. Because some of the Hydrogen power in the pH is not titratable! Quite under what conditions this happens more or less you'll have to go to the xperts for!

I suspect wikipedia on titratable acid and acids in wine will help.

richardhod

chemtyra wrote:It appears that both of these wines are $85 each on the winery's website. Which means this deal is far better than 50% off.

Ha! they're all at $60 o the tasting room menu list, but I overheard the slightly batty but still delightful server lady saying it was a msprint, but they'd honour that price there. Now I did mostly believe that they'd have given me my 30% club discount on the $60 though, but this price is still significantly lower.

I reckoned in was too much at 30% off its $60 winery retail. But 40-45% off as this is, it's great value. Question is, two or three?

Best price you'll find.

Voxtrion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Voxtrion

I searched and found nothing ... what does black tie buy mean?

richardhod

So, in for 3. On the rpm tour, where we were drinking the 04, the winery manager told us about the Atlas wines: that Veeder are the softest, lighter-weight wines but still intense; Spring Mountain makes for tiny berries, so high concentrations and very intense wines. (Howell Mountain wines are big and burly: they make that too, but none in this offer).
Here's some mountain sub-AVA info anyway.

He also said the 90 and 92 wines were still doing very well, according to my tour notes. So, expect to be able to cellar these for 20 years or more. Assuming 04 is as good a year as they originally said!

He also said that 02 and 04 were better for their cabs than 03 and 05. But it does depend on your palate. As we know, 05 was a cooler, more classically styled year with lower ph more acd and 13.9% alc. This is the 04, which was warmer than that, so this was "luscious". So these will be luscious!
these 04s will probably not age as much as the 05 will, and CT says will age to 2014, with the 05 ageing to 2020. that's just CT opinions though

I'd say the 04 might have 15 years in it from vintage. but I've only drunk French wines that old, Corison and Wellington excepted, so I can't guarantee that!

Puzzle-man

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Puzzle-man

Does Woot ever offer dessert wines? Every time I take a look it is always some dry boring red wine.

Puzzle Man

richardhod

Puzzle-man wrote:Does Woot ever offer dessert wines? Every time I take a look it is always some dry boring red wine.

lol we're hoping. they do, and I bet in the run up to Christmas we get at least one, probably more sweet wine woots. Last year it was Kent's amazing Viognier late harvest dessert wine.

We're hoping maybe Wellington white port. Or a Ty Caton Dessert wine, which is meant to be good. Or all sorts of lovely goodness.

tjs525

quality posts: 0 Private Messages tjs525

I've been waiting for another great black tie buy... In for one.

rpm

quality posts: 175 Private Messages rpm
richardhod wrote:So, in for 3. On the rpm tour, where we were drinking the 04, the winery manager told us about the Atlas wines: that Veeder are the softest, lighter-weight wines but still intense; Spring Mountain makes for tiny berries, so high concentrations and very intense wines. (Howell Mountain wines are big and burly: they make that too, but none in this offer).
Here's some mountain suv-AVA info anyway.

He also said the 90 and 92 wines were still doing vdery well, according to my tour notes. So, expect to be able to cellar these for 20 years or more. Assuming 04 is as good a year as they originally said!

He also said that 02 and 04 were better for their cabs than 03 and 05. But it does depend on your palate. As we know, 05 was a cooler, more classically styled year with lower ph more acd and 13.9% alc. This is the 04, which was warmer than that, so this was "luscious". So these will be luscious!
these 04s will probably not age as much as the 05 will, and CT says will age to 2014, with the 05 ageing to 2020. that's just CT opinions though

I'd say the 04 has 15 years in it.

In addition to tasting one of these on the 2010 Tour, my daughter, WD, and I tasted 4 or 5 Atlas Peak 2004's in the Spring of 2009 with Jim Connell - the senior Ascentia guy who did such a fabulous job for the Tourists on the 2010 Tour. None were ready, but all of them were worthy. Wines to put beside your Corison Cabs to pull out for special occasions, special meals and/or special friends.

This is serious Cabernet, folks. Time to dust off the credit card or the PayPal link and break the SIWBM. These wines were fair value at their retail prices and a screaming value at this price point.

Now, I think these wines are still pretty much in their dumb period, being 6 years old, and so I'd recommend buying the maximum half-case, as I just did, and forgetting about it in a cool dark place for at least a couple of years.

I'm very glad WD has been able to obtain these wines. Why can he get them? I'd be willing to bet it's a pure 'time to pare the inventory down to what we want in the library' play. Speaking of WD, what's with me not getting bottles for current tasting to give everyone a report?

To give you an idea how highly I think of these wines, I would probably include Atlas Peak on an 'advanced' version of the RPM 2011 or 2012 Magical History Tour which concentrated on the development, care and feeding of serious Cabernet from Napa and Sonoma.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

hogfatt wrote:2004 I assume is drinking well now, how will this develop in the next 5 or so years?

Both of these wines will age very well in the bottle over the next 5 years. I think the Mt. Veeder will be ready to drink sooner than the Spring Mountain. Mt. Veeder might begin to really show it's mature style in 3-4 years, while the Spring Mountain might need 5 to really start to open up.

I would expect both of these wines to be fully mature at 15, and to live well into their 20s.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

rpm

Puzzle-man wrote:Does Woot ever offer dessert wines? Every time I take a look it is always some dry boring red wine.

Woot has done Wellington ports, and a few other dessert wines. Not many, though. Good sweet white dessert wines in California are rare to begin with, and expensive to boot.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

Yordkns

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Yordkns

Check the price at the winery website and put me down for 2X2!

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
Yordkns wrote:Check the price at the winery website and put me down for 2X2!

When I saw the name at the top of the page and saw the price I assumed it was going to be the blend, Atlas Peak's "second" level - not bad, close to the club price with Woot shipping. As I read on and realized it was the Mt. Veeder and Spring Mountain, I thought wow. This is a screaming deal.

This is your opportunity to get a great high end Napa Cab at a somewhat reasonable price. The only downside is that, according to those who know, you will need to let them sit for 3-5 years to get the full effect.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

jared465

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jared465

We just drank a bottle of Atlas Napa Valley Cab, and it was quite good! I need to check the budget, but i think i'm in for one!

rpm

UBlink wrote:When I saw the name at the top of the page and saw the price I assumed it was going to be the blend, Atlas Peak's "second" level - not bad, close to the club price with Woot shipping. As I read on and realized it was the Mt. Veeder and Spring Mountain, I thought wow. This is a screaming deal.

This is your opportunity to get a great high end Napa Cab at a somewhat reasonable price. The only downside is that, according to those who know, you will need to let them sit for 3-5 years to get the full effect.

Patience is a virtue. Serious Cabernet (like serious Burgundy, Hermitage, Barolo, Sauturnes and Riesling)) requires time, but there is nothing in the world that so repays patience as great wine.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

msruru

quality posts: 15 Private Messages msruru

Darn, finally have the money to pick a high quality wine...and Woot puts up a Cab...