CT link above

Winery website

Previous offers:
3/3/08 (2004)
9/24/09 (2005)

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Hmmm... still haven't touched my 2005 Victorys. I guess adding a few 2006s wouldn't hurt.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Would not miss this black tie for the world.

Cheers

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Tried for first sucker and missed. I'd much rather have this than a woot-off right now anyway

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1616 Private Messages Cesare
redwinefan wrote:Hmmm... still haven't touched my 2005 Victorys. I guess adding a few 2006s wouldn't hurt.

I just had an 04 last week, it was great. The 05 isn't ready yet.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
Cesare wrote:I just had an 04 last week, it was great. The 05 isn't ready yet.

I want a crack at the 09's we were blending back in July.

Very happy to see Peter back. Sorry I missed the opportunities to help with crush this year.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7
klezman wrote:Tried for first sucker and missed. I'd much rather have this than a woot-off right now anyway

I just hope it sticks Given how many times I've purchased from here I had to get first sucker at least once...

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
klezman wrote:I want a crack at the 09's we were blending back in July.

Very happy to see Peter back. Sorry I missed the opportunities to help with crush this year.

It was a late start (Sept. 24th, and we just brought in our last grapes Thursday (Nov. 4th). A crush report blog will be forthcoming as soon as I catch up on paperwork that was neglected during crush.

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

This is probably going to drink a little earlier than the '05, though, right? Since '06 wasn't quite such a "classic vintage" or whatever?

And, after having missed the Victory in a Woot-Off a while back and hearing from lots of folks about what a mistake that was, I consider going in but limiting it to just one to be fully within the bounds of my HTEIWBM (holiday travel expense imposed...) Now, hopefully it doesn't show up while I'm out of town...

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

As I posted in the Pub... is this a wine.woot exclusive release? The Wellington website still shows the 2005 Victory with the New Release tag.

kgw7208

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kgw7208

I just updated my Cellar Tracker tonight, and hung a litte tag with a drink between "2013-2021" on my 10 bottles of 2005 Victory.

What tag should I hang on six bottles of the 2006?

SonomaBouliste

joelsisk wrote:As I posted in the Pub... is this a wine.woot exclusive release? The Wellington website still shows the 2005 Victory with the New Release tag.

Yes it is. I tried to say so in my vintner voicemail, but I was too long winded and got cut short.

SonomaBouliste

kgw7208 wrote:I just updated my Cellar Tracker tonight, and hung a litte tag with a drink between "2013-2021" on my 10 bottles of 2005 Victory.

What tag should I hang on six bottles of the 2006?

Tonight through 2021

joannevicious

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joannevicious

just wanted to point out that this is basically 50% off. A bottle of the current Victory goes for $50/bottle. Last offering I opened woefully young. Wellington always provides and delivers. I RECOMMEND.

xo

tytiger58

SonomaBouliste wrote:Tonight through 2021

Well if I had one tonight dang it (wish I did), how long should I decant it.

kgw7208

quality posts: 4 Private Messages kgw7208
SonomaBouliste wrote:Yes it is. I tried to say so in my vintner voicemail, but I was too long winded and got cut short.

Make 'em give you more time! I want to hear the rest!

Cesare

quality posts: 1616 Private Messages Cesare
kgw7208 wrote:Make 'em give you more time! I want to hear the rest!

Yeah it sounded like the cutoff was at the word "oak".

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

SonomaBouliste

tytiger58 wrote:Well if I had one tonight dang it (wish I did), how long should I decant it.

That's a matter of personal taste, just as aging is. I like to see how a wine evolves after opening, and almost always have dinner with my wine. For sipping / drinking without food I would definitely decant. Another good reason for decanting is that this ape throws dirt. The'06 Victory already has a healthy amount of crystals growing on the cork / in the neck.

tytiger58

joelsisk wrote:As I posted in the Pub... is this a wine.woot exclusive release? The Wellington website still shows the 2005 Victory with the New Release tag.

Wow a black tie and a pope hat

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
SonomaBouliste wrote:That's a matter of personal taste, just as aging is. I like to see how a wine evolves after opening, and almost always have dinner with my wine. For sipping / drinking without food I would definitely decant.

Good with food right now then? So... What do you prefer to eat with this Peter? Any good recipes?

This is $5 less than the'05 woot btw. And his '95 is still going strong as the Tourists will attest.

And the $8 Duke is amazing for its price while we're at it. I got some when I went up on Thursday to witness the last crush of the year, the '10 Mohrhardt vineyard Cab.

SonomaBouliste

richardhod wrote:Good with food right now then? So... What do you prefer to eat with this Peter? Any good recipes?

This is $5 less than the'05 woot btw. And his '95 is still going strong as the Tourists will attest.

And the $8 Duke is amazing for its price while we're at it. I got some when I went up on Thursday to witness the last crush of the year, the '10 Mohrhardt vineyard Cab.

Well, I'll have to admit to taking home the last of the bottle we opened yesterday for tasting notes and thoroughly enjoying it with a gourmet pesto pizza. Right now it's a great match with mild cheeses. A grilled portobella should work nicely. As a 40 year vegetarian, I can't speak to recent personal experience, but I bet it would do wonders for a medium rare steak.

TooOldForThis

quality posts: 18 Private Messages TooOldForThis

Yay! Wine I wouldn't appreciate at a price I can't afford. My wallet thanks you.

I do, however, anticipate reading the comments as a source of cheap edutainment

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
SonomaBouliste wrote:Well, I'll have to admit to taking home the last of the bottle we opened yesterday for tasting notes and thoroughly enjoying it with a gourmet pesto pizza. Right now it's a great match with mild cheeses. A grilled portobella should work nicely. As a 40 year vegetarian, I can't speak to recent personal experience, but I bet it would do wonders for a medium rare steak.

Got it. All sounds good. The Syrah with the Ham or pork.

You play Boules better after a Victory? ;-)

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

In general, only buying Cali '06s as a "drink sooner rather than later" play so I'm in for 2.

Looking forward to the crush report blog Peter! Hearing great things about the '10 potential.

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

NightGhost

quality posts: 1905 Private Messages NightGhost
TooOldForThis wrote:Yay! Wine I wouldn't appreciate at a price I can't afford. My wallet thanks you.

I do, however, anticipate reading the comments as a source of cheap edutainment

There are a select few winemakers who are ever in demand at Woot, because they never disappoint. Peter Wellington is one of them.

amythewino wrote:You had me at "Wellington"

jpkrause wrote:You had me at Wellington.

Codez64

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Codez64

I couldn't pass up this opportunity, even though I'm pretty sure it's not kosher. In for 3!

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

I quite dislike Cabernet Franc - it's rare that I find the single varietal drinkable, and in significant percentages in blends it's also often unpalatable to me. It just doesn't offer much that I seek in a red wine, and what's the most noteworthy for me is the 'bell pepper' flavour that all CFs have. In the few CFs I can drink and somewhat enjoy, the bell pepper note is light to faint and other aspects (like lots of dark fruit, bold tannins and high acidity) make up for its presence.

So, that said - how likely am I to enjoy this wine? The 17% CF terrifies me (10% is scary enough), but I HAVE had blends with a fair bit of CF in them that I liked. I'm not sure if those blends had quite this much CF, but it's possible. I'd love some feedback on how much of a 'bell pepper' note (and/or any other similar notes, basically anything in the 'green' or 'vegetal' family of flavours) is present. And if there are any strongly present dark fruit notes that are juicy and brightly acidic ?

Thanks in advance! I am so bummed to have missed the prior vintage, as Petit Verdot is my favourite varietal and I see that blend had 20% PV and no CF at all. I'm really surprised by how dramatically different the 2005 and 2006 vintages are blend-wise, and why you chose to blend them so differently. Whenever winemakers do this with a reoccurring blend I'm always fascinated.

I'm going to have to buy some 2005 online.... there wouldn't be any way I could get you to combine them with the 2006 so I can save on shipping? :P

Thanks in advance for any answers to the above!

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

etherealotaku

quality posts: 3 Private Messages etherealotaku

Ahhh... I new I was done as soon as I saw the name on the bottle. 4 bottles to join my 4 2005's in the cellar. And I just got my woot birthday coupon yesterday... bonus

CT

laxdad

quality posts: 2 Private Messages laxdad
fairnymph wrote:... the prior vintage, as Petit Verdot is my favourite varietal and I see that blend had 20% PV and no CF at all. I'm really surprised by how dramatically different the 2005 and 2006 vintages are blend-wise, and why you chose to blend them so differently.

Fairnymph, while I do not share your aversion to CF, I am not even to the point of getting on the fence on this one for the blend reasons you state.

I have 11 of the 2005 left and I thought it was superb. Absolutely drinkable now, although the rest won't see the light of day for quite some time.

Seems like a substantial blend shift for this one. Curious how it compares.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

On May 29, 1933, Mohandas Gandhi ended the 21 fast he had taken on in support of the Harijan movement.

On November 10, 2010, jhkey ended his SWMBO&SIWBM in support of Peter Wellington's Victory Reserve.

EDIT: And available to rat on Thurs/Friday!

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

In for two, and used my birthday code.

Woot, woot, woot!

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

Every vintage of Peter's Victory I have tasted has been excellent. Peter has an excellent sense of his preferred style, but I think that even more than his stylistic preferences, with the Victory he is trying to transform the best fruit available to him into the best wine it can become. As our discussions during this Tour showed, our preferred styles are largely congruent, though not identical: I tend to want to rig more for the ages. But, then, I'm simply trying to please myself, and, while Peter makes the wine he wants to make, he naturally must factor in that most people are no longer looking at Cabernet blends as wines to be tasted in callow youth, but primarily enjoyed in their teens.

2006 is sandwiched between excellent 2005s and perhaps even better 2007s to come, and so it may be a somewhat overlooked vintage. It's not a vintage to be avoided (like some 2008s).

Good winemakers, such as Peter, can do very interesting things in years that are not widely acclaimed. It would be interesting to hear what Peter things is the particular appeal of this almost St.Estephe-like blend (save for the Malbec).

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

caufield

quality posts: 5 Private Messages caufield

I <3 Wellington wines. So much so that I tried to join their wine club. Alas, Nebraska isn't on the available states when I try to join on the Wellington Vineyards website. However, every woot! has NE as an available state.

Peter, what's up with that?

Don't get me wrong, I'll take the woot! wines, but I would think that if you can ship woots to NE that the wine club would be open as well.

sciara

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sciara

What is time frame on the '05? I bought some last year, got excited and opened one. Wasn't ready at all. Hate to waste another bottle before its ready.

wootified

quality posts: 5 Private Messages wootified
sciara wrote:What is time frame on the '05? I bought some last year, got excited and opened one. Wasn't ready at all. Hate to waste another bottle before its ready.

FWIW CellarTracker currently suggests 2013-2021

P.S. I've stopped keeping this up to date
Woot:75 Sell:15 Kids:12 Shirts:0 Wine:44

mxracer98

quality posts: 14 Private Messages mxracer98

You cannot go wrong with Wellington, I will be in for 2 later. I missed the Victory twice during previous woot offs.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

In for three because it's a Wellington!!! I just went into my CT and saw that I have 6 - 2005s. Can't let them sit there alone. They need some siblings. This order will put me over the 30 btl ct of Wellington wines. never thought I'd need one cooler, now maybe two for Peter's wine. Just shot my short lived SIWBM to H...!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Peter, it was so awesome of you to bring those bottles of the 1995 Victory to our final dinner on the tour. They were amazing!
And to that end, I just made the rounds to a couple coworkers and an order for 3 sets has now been placed to be shipped here.

PS. WD, it's been quite awhile since I've been ratted or even been eligible to rat. This weekend would be perfect cuz I'll be home, and the order shipping here to the office makes accepting a little something extra nice an easy. Just thought I'd put it out there.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings