10%
0%
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg

And now, a wine containing EVERY GRAPE KNOWN TO MAN!

Well in with a Ty weekend, though. I broke my (short but effective) SIWBM earlier, so maybe the Rats can drag me into a pack of this stuff as well. Hopefully we'll have enough to go around until then.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

jkdaaa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jkdaaa

damn you WD....

SIWBM must hold!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus

This = Field Blend?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

laineyhigg

quality posts: 21 Private Messages laineyhigg

When I received the email from wine.woot last night at 6:45pm that I was selected to be a Lab Rat, I was the happiest girl in town. I was going to receive my wine a day before the offer even goes up!

Today came around and I anxiously waited for Richard, our Fed Ex guy at work. Sitting at lunch, eating my sushi, a coworker stuck their head in and told me that I had a package. It was here!! Now just to make it through the rest of the afternoon to get home and crack it open…

Of course I immediately opened the box to see what I got. It was like Christmas. Racchus. I had never heard of it. Then I read the back. Ty Caton. I had read so many comments about Ty Caton. I’m fairly new to the wine.woot community, so I wasn’t around for that offering. But I do know how much people rave about Ty. I also have a coworker who’s been waiting for a Ty Caton wine on woot for months. I was very excited.

So yes, I’m a wine.woot newbie. It’s only been very recently that I’ve started to pay attention to wines. I’ve always known what I like and don’t like, but haven’t really paid attention to the flavors. I still don’t think I’m very good at it, but here it goes. Please don’t judge.

I did some research of what I should eat. The interwebs said to eat anything grilled. I have two kids and my husband and I both work full time jobs, so grilling was pretty much out of the question for a weekday. So being from Texas, I decided that some good Texan barbecue take out might fit the bill.

I rushed home, opened the bottle, and poured a small glass to try immediately. The wine had a lovely dark, plum color. I smelled it like I see them do in movies. It smelled like berries. Then I drank it up. I tasted the plum, but also some raspberries. It had a somewhat smooth finish, and I definitely tasted the chocolate at the end.

I know that some wines need to breathe, so I poured a glass and let it sit out for an hour. I have yet to invest in a decanter, so this was my best option. When I drank it, the oakiness had really come out at the beginning, with the berries coming out a little after. Then super hubby came home with the brisket. I ate some. The Racchus took on a completely different character. It paired perfectly with the brisket. It took on a kind of sweetness. It did not, however, pair very well with the barbecue sauce. Then I ate some chocolate (dark with almonds, if you’re curious). It paired amazingly with the chocolate too, becoming velvety.

Then I had to take a break and put the kids to bed. It’s been about another hour and I’m sitting with my last glass now probably writing too much. It’s holding up well drinking it on its own. It seems to be getting smoother the longer it has to breathe.

Now for the summary. I’ve had a great night with this Racchus, and I’m definitely gonna buy some when it’s posted tomorrow. I see they have a Racchus White too; maybe it will be a combo offering?? Regardless, I’m in for one.

So there it is. My first ever lab rat report. Hope you enjoyed it.

kylemittskus

jkdaaa wrote:damn you WD....

SIWBM must hold!

My exact thoughts. I don't know if I'll be able to resist. A Ty wine for under $15/bottle shipped? I don't think I can say no...

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

2008? Down the the cellar you go!

laineyhigg

quality posts: 21 Private Messages laineyhigg
kylemittskus wrote:This = Field Blend?

Yes, their website says "Field Blend Red returns as...2008 Racchus Red Wine."

silent7seven

quality posts: 12 Private Messages silent7seven

I'm buying this with the intent of pouring some for a distributor friend of mine. The wine shop I frequent needs to carry Ty Caton.

+1

---------------------------
And so we go, on with our lives
We know the truth, but prefer lies
Lies are simple, simple is bliss
Why go against tradition when we can
Admit defeat, live in decline

atpifer

quality posts: 3 Private Messages atpifer
laineyhigg wrote:

Very good! And nice of you to type it up and have it ready to post as soon as the sale went live. Thanks!

hcnate

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hcnate

I was laying on the sofa watching "The Apprentice" and saw the words "Ty Caton." I jumped up and immediately said this is the perfect use for my coupon. Ty Caton should not be missed.

SIWBM is over!

NightGhost

quality posts: 1906 Private Messages NightGhost

kylemittskus

laineyhigg wrote:Yes, their website says "Field Blend Red returns as...2008 Racchus Red Wine."

I REALLY shouldn't buy this, but I don't think I can resist. I loved the Field Blend and I only have one bottle left. And I have my $5 coupon... AH! Decisions, decisions.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
hcnate wrote:I was laying on the sofa watching "The Apprentice" and saw the words "Ty Caton." I jumped up and immediately said this is the perfect use for my coupon. Ty Caton should not be missed.

SIWBM is over!

I forgot to use my coupon! Wonder if I email if they'll deduct it.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
kylemittskus wrote:This = Field Blend?

IIRC ..... YES!!!!

And it says it on his web site.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap

Ty Canton, Just have to have some,

Thanks WD

ekeavney

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ekeavney
laineyhigg wrote:[img]

Thanks. I think you described it well. I appreciate the quick posting, too!

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Ty Caton 2008 Racchus Reserve Red - Four Pack
$49.99 + $7.00 shipping
Condition: Red
Product:
4 Ty Caton 2008 Racchus Reserve Red

CT link above.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

k1avg

Looks like Ty is starting a whole new label for this stuff: http://www.racchus.com/.

List price of $26.00, too, making this deal a little over 50% off.

Hopefully it's not cursed:

While digging a well on his family’s soon-to-be-vineyard in Sonoma, Ty Caton came across some artifacts that didn’t quite appear Native Indian in nature. The items were dertermined to be Roman, dating back to 60’s B.C. A major archeological dig was soon underway and the ruins of a small Roman temple were unearthed.

After exhaustive research, we’ve determined the temple belonged to a long lost and little-known Roman god named Racchus, Bacchus’ twin brother by another mother.
--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

darn it... did they just come up with a everyday type of ty?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

kylemittskus

sukeiasa wrote:darn it... did they just come up with a everyday type of ty?

No. It used to be called Field Blend. And it is AMAZING QPR.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
laineyhigg wrote:Yes, their website says "Field Blend Red returns as...2008 Racchus Red Wine."

The Field Blend returns? Yikes...That stuff had amazing QPR.

Ty/Winegirl...Can you compare/contrast to the legend?

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

atpifer

Wow, so, I have no money, at all.

Yet.

I DID just get a new job today as a wine sales rep...I may just end up trying to get my company to pick up Ty.

This may just be how to celebrate...if it's here in the morning can be my deciding factor.

jrod703

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrod703

I bought the 2005 about a year and a half ago direct from the winery. Very well worth the $14 or so a bottle they were charging during that sale. Definitely a better deal on the shipping here, as always.

The 05 was very smooth right out of the bottle, but a little decanting made it even smoother. Its very easy drinking and pairs well with pizza, pasta, grilled chicken, burgers... -well, I guess it paired well with everything I have tried it with thus far! It even held its own fairly well with a mild after dinner cigar if I remember correctly.

I'm in for one, close to going for two but I already have some other Ty wine on order so I'm exhibiting some self control.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

MarkDaSpark wrote:IIRC ..... YES!!!!

And it says it on his web site.

Interesting. They made a 2005 of this as well (which was also the year of the "Field Blend").

airjesse123

quality posts: 12 Private Messages airjesse123

Got the Ty Caton Petite SIRAH offering months ago and LOVED it. In for this offering without question. Can I please lab rat sometime? I've been a loyal wooter and wootposter! I even have my sacred Woot glow in the dark shirt.

kylemittskus

Ty: First of all, thanks for gracing us, once again, with your magic. Is this wine young since it's 1/3 PS and only an '08? Should we drink or hold? Or drink and hold? Or hold or drink?

I'm in for a set if it's still around tomorrow.

atpifer

airjesse123 wrote:Got the Ty Caton Petite SIRAH offering months ago and LOVED it. In for this offering without question. Can I please lab rat sometime? I've been a loyal wooter and wootposter! I even have my sacred Woot glow in the dark shirt.

I got first sucker on that offering :-p

prairiehabanero

quality posts: 2 Private Messages prairiehabanero

Ty = Buy. I did. I doubt I will regret.

Street Cred: too many wine woots to count...

I've missed some good ones, but Wine Woot is a good thing; thanks JD!

k1avg

kylemittskus wrote:Should we drink or hold? Or drink and hold? Or hold or drink?

Hold with one hand, drink with the other.

--
The current holdings.

crabbyman22

quality posts: 6 Private Messages crabbyman22

Racchus Red-Rollus White

I got a clue yesterday what would be up today.When I left Ty's tasting room,he handed me a bottle and said "This will be on woot friday"

Bad rat-I can't really do tasting notes.

Good rat-I have tasted about 100 wines in the last two days,a lot were more than just a sip.I still opened this up to give a report as best as I can.I tasted this at the tasting room between the TyTanium and all four Cab Collection wines and it was great.I asked if it had any PS in it,he said yes,and too many other things to list.(It's on the website)

I opened the bottle before dinner and tasted it,thought it needed a little bottle time or air.After dinner,it softened up some.Imagine taking a bunch of Ty's wine and mixing it up together.This is it,at a cheaper price.Good fruit,good tannic bite,this is good.

Wonder where the PS went that was missing from the red blend?Here it is.

"Alcohol-the cause of,and solution to,all of life's problems"
Homer(Simpson)

airjesse123

quality posts: 12 Private Messages airjesse123
prairiehabanero wrote:Ty = Buy. I did. I doubt I will regret.

It was a serious no-brainer to pull the trigger. I think it goes without saying that TC has a loyal W.W following.

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
vaaccess wrote:The Field Blend returns? Yikes...That stuff had amazing QPR.

Ty/Winegirl...Can you compare/contrast to the legend?

This new release has all the varietals in the previous Racchus Red/Field Blend wine with a couple added varietals: petite verdot. It's very similar in style to the previous vintage. I think the Peite and the Syrah shine through on this one.

/tycaton/

deltaiv

quality posts: 6 Private Messages deltaiv

I've never dabbled in Ty, but I've had too much Caymus Conundrum tonight and you fine folks seem to be loving this woot, so... I am in for one!

Wine and wenches empty men's purses

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

The 2005 Racchus Red had the same varietals and %ages as the 2005 Caton Field Blend, and IIRC the combined production of the two was exactly 3000 cases.

I am in on this x2 -- would have been x3 but I have 4 bottles of the 2008 Ty's Red I haven't opened yet.

brybry

quality posts: 5 Private Messages brybry

Now I know what they do with all the leftover wine. If anyone can take 7 wines and transform them into a masterpiece Ty CAtoN.

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton
prairiehabanero wrote:Ty = Buy. I did. I doubt I will regret.

You won't!

/tycaton/

mipo777

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mipo777

Ty is autobuy for me. Throw in $5 coupon and it's even better.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Two woots of Ty Caton Racchus: $99.98
Summer Shipping Charge: $7.00
Windows calc.exe program: Free
Doing the math and finding out that I just paid $13.37 per bottle? PRICELESS

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
kylemittskus wrote:Ty: First of all, thanks for gracing us, once again, with your magic. Is this wine young since it's 1/3 PS and only an '08? Should we drink or hold? Or drink and hold? Or hold or drink?

I'm in for a set if it's still around tomorrow.

Drink some now and some later.

In for all 3 since I love Field Blend (7 bottles still in the cellar) and don't think this will be around long.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson