richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod

Already a little toasted, but I'm taking notes...

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84

contrary to Richard's assumption that Temeculan's are alll hicks, they seem to be very nice & quite smart. At least at Stuart. Bella Vista's hosts are quite Hungarian & pushy. No offense, of course, to anyone. Richard's taking tasting notes, so we'll follow up, but for now, it's my Birthday & I'm trying to enjoy myself! Bella Vista still quite hospitable

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
alexa84 wrote:contrary to Richard's assumption that Temeculan's are alll hicks, they seem to be very nice & quite smart. At least at Stuart. Bella Vista's hosts are quite Hungarian & pushy. No offense, of course, to anyone. Richard's taking tasting notes, so we'll follow up, but for now, it's my Birthday & I'm trying to enjoy myself! Bella Vista still quite hospitable

If it's not too late, try their PS Rosé and their Late Harvest PS.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Here is a link to my notes from my last trip down there, if any of you were interested.
Its more of a trip review though. I didn't take many tasting notes http://wine.woot.com/forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=4033022&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=5#post4047313

CT

richardhod

Thank you for the help... we were using your threads as guidance. Writeuo(s) tomorrow. Drunken (05 wellington zin) promise!

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
richardhod wrote:Thank you for the help... we were using your threads as guidance. Writeuo(s) tomorrow. Drunken (05 wellington zin) promise!

Tomorrow is now yesterday.

"Ad hic" was clearly not a typo.

Wine Wooters Part Deaux FFL Champion and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tour #2 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

alexa84

quality posts: 7 Private Messages alexa84
merbill wrote:Tomorrow is now yesterday.

"Ad hic" was clearly not a typo.

yeah, Ricardo, where are the notes?!

<--- is ALWAYS available to rat *** my cellar in progress (don't judge!) ***

currently in training for the CSW exam & very excited about it!

richardhod

alexa84 wrote:yeah, Ricardo, where are the notes?!

er.. mmislaid them for a mo but they'll turn up in the next place I look. In the meanwhile... to the rpm tour notes...

richardhod

alexa84 wrote:yeah, Ricardo, where are the notes?!

here they are! Made them in November :smile:

Bella Vista Winery

Champagne 13.95
Sweet crap

Viognier 07 20.95
Say it's a sophisticated sofr wine, but it' sweet and rubbishy!

White Cabernet S $16.95
This winery has the most original wines in the California. Run by a delightfully indiosyncratic Hungarian couple, who have a similar outlook to the original family who sold the winery to them in about 2004, they do not follow the standard Californian regimes. They release the wines already mature (the '02 Syrah is only just released!) , and make wines like this White Cabernet. It's not actually anything special, but just to try one is fun in itself: it tastes ok! An easy drinker.

Petite Sirah Rosé '07 17.95
A little sweeter than the White Cabernet, it's a fun summer drinker if you like medium sweeter wines which are not Rieslings. (I don't)

Syrah '02 22.95
Not a uge nose, but a nice full body with tobacco notes and round tannins. Some ageing on this already gives it plenty of charater. Don't keep it long, as some VA hints are present, but at this point they add to the interest and complexity of the wine! Very good indeed., and with the Zin the best of the non-dessert wines from winery. 36 months in french oak. Blackberries and soft tannins.

Cabernet Sauvignon '01 32.95
13.4% Brick colour. A little acid-thinnish to me. Run by a delightfully indiosyncratic Hungarian couple, who have a similar outlook to the original family who sold the winery to them in about 2004, they do not follow the standard Californian regimes. They release the wines already mature , and I think this one is past its best. OR at least that winery tasting sample bottle was!

Petite Sirah Reserve '03 32.95
Good one, with structure and tannins to age. Rich dark fruit and spice, but it's in its dumb period so keep it a few more years and it should be wonderful. $32.95

Bella Vista Blend '02 26.95
Though a Bordeaux blend, this tastes a little like an old Italian wine: in rather acid but not much body. Has acid, but not much fruit to complement it. Medium-light body, it's sort of on the acid-light ed. A Bordeaux blend, apparently, but there is much better for the price.

Sonata '02 39.95
They love this flagship blend at the winery, but to me it's not very complex, even at 8 years old.

Zinfandel '04 21.95
Delightful fruity and complex wine. Black pepper and old cherry nose, with spice. Zip on the palate, with lots of acid A bit thin in body, but interesting old character. Pepper and old cherry.

Tempranillo 06 31.95
Meaty, Round. Not a huge nose, and ot long and not a big wine. Disappointing.

Orange Muscat '07 16.95
Wow, Amazingly original. Muscat sweet wine, with an orange flavour. Sweet and complex, but with a harsh undertone which for me spoils it a little, though some palates will like that. A v v v v v v long acid finish, which gives it excellent balance. Well worth a try!

Rozmaring '09 28.95
This is an original creation from the new Hungarian owners: the only of its kind in N America, they are prous to say. And even so, it is an extremely good dessert wine. Lighter than their Muscat Canelli. Excellent. It's very sweet, as sweet as a muscat, but very good indeed. Fine, complex and delivers what you want out of a top-quality dessert wine.

Muscat Canelli '09 17.95
Evvn better than the Rozmaring IMHO, but sweeter too. One of the best Muscats you will try. Not overly cloying either, it has plenty of citrus notes!

Black Magic '08 22.95
Weird, very strange, nice though! It's a kind of sweet wine, deep dark brown-black in colour with deep dry tannin undertones! a Late Harvest Cabernet Sauvignon! Unique, perhaps, like their White Cabernet Sauvignon, you can't accuse the Hungarian owners of not being adventurous and original. Like a strange fortified wine. After-dinner kind of thing. Good to try instead of that American “port”. Won't keep past a day once the bottle's opened though.

Late Harvest Petite Sirah '05 18.95
Sweet: slight tartness. Cloying. Nice experiment, but no. Not great or overly complex on its own, but they add Fizz to it to make “jacuzzi wine”. For parties.

Stuart Cellars

our first stop. Nice place, but wine was Disappointing. And overpriced.

Viognier 08 $21 (20% off for club)
Nose of tree. Tropical notes
Palate a little malic but notbad. Nutty, apricotty, peachy, pineapply. Tropical palate. Decent acid on finish.

Malbec 07 limited reserve 35
Dull Merlot-y. Empty and short . Some fruit.

Cab 06 Special Estate Reserve 13.5% 45
Nose: Spice, tobacco, smoke
Light body. Good red fruit but light. Open cranberry fruit. Decent round tannins later on, medium-fry and drying. Good acid. Balanced.

Sauvigon Blanc 09 16
Horrendous. Hay flavour, with manure. Long Hay finish. Also featuring old Mr Whippy synthetic ice-cream flavours. Avoid.

Cabernet Franc Estate Reserve 07 30
Light nose of subte round berries, mid-red to soft dark fruits. Soft boysenerry. V soft oak.
Palate: closed fruit, soft raspberry, vegetal. Some acid, though a bit light weight.
Finish long, subtle cedar / light spice. Caramel sweetness too.
Later the tannins soften out and die off and become rounder late.
Decent drink but not amazing.

Tatria Meritage 06 13.9% 36 CS Merlot and CF 24 months' French oak.
much better than the 07 CF and CS 06
Palate: Sharp red fruit, with acid. Some smoke,
Light-medooium body, with loganberry or lingonberry tartish fruit.
Medum finish, some late rounded tannins.

Long Valley Red 06 Bordeaux Blend 14% CS Merlot CF PV and Malbec. 50
Light body, some zippy rasperry, though not a huge amount of fruit. Mid-late palate the tannins come trhough, rounded, and dying off gradually in the decent-length finish. Decent, but a little light.

Petite Sirah 06 15.4% Vintner's Special Limited Reserve
Cedar nose.
Palate: Huge upfront with dark fruit and tannin. Hot with alcohol. Integrated cedar tobacco flavours, but not really blackcurranty. Huge nice round and super long tannins and no bitter tannins, fortunately. Grows on you in the glass, perhaps as the heat blows off.
Style is Tannin and dark flavours rather than fruit: not much blackcurrant at all!

Zinfandel Port 03 48
Tastes of dates. Honeyed Ham says George. Like a dessert wine. OK if you like that sort of thing.

Zinfandel 06
Tart red – mid red fruits. Round cooked cherry opener on the palate. But like a Pinot Noir, but with nice rounded tannins. A bit too short and simple.

White Port NV 35
Grape flavour. Nutty. Acids, but a little malic tart. It's ok. Sourness on the end. Buy M&S non-vintage white port instead for cheaper. Even better, Wellington Winery's white port.

Mount Palomar Winery

Lovely place and nice servers. Last before dinner.

06 Castelletto Sangiovese 24
Lively when new. Don't really care for it but OK.
Cherry, vanilla

06 Castellato Trovato 28
Light and harmless like a fun Grenache. Red fruit, and some aromatic flowers. Shortish, some acid.

Shorty's Bistro Red NV 17
Sangiovese / Cabernet Sauvignon blend! Everyday drinker. A decent light dirnker, with cabernet-claretlike fruit.

05 Cabernet Sauvignon 24 (good value?)
Dusty dark red nose
Palate light, but good acid. Cranberries and loganberries zip on the tongue. Tart red fruit. DUST! Long cherrylike finish.

06 Merlot 24
Nose of cedar and spice.
Sippy dusty tanniny palate with soft red fruit. Boysenbberries. Medium length with cedar notes and a ot of round tannins.

06 Meritage 24
Nose of cola and plum and .. er, cigarette filters.
Palate very light. Tannins are round and there's a zip of cranberries. Decent acid, but light wine.

05 Syrah 24 (value?)
Meaty Syrah palate, with bacon. Loganberries, leather and dust! Good medium middle, strongg red fruits. Tannins kick in later on.
Good wine, recommended.

04 Cloudbreak 50
Nose of red cherries.
Dusty nose, light body. Spicy red fruits, with cranberry. Good wine, but way overpriced for $50

05 Charbono , Best of Vintage. 44
Leather nose.
Acid and light body. Not enough body for the price.

07 Riesling 3.25% RS. 17
So-so. 16.5% which is ridiculous.

08 Zilah – Late Harvest Red Dessert wine 4% RS 14
GOOD. Most original. Tasty. Not the usual cloying sweet “ports” from CA.
CF and Sangiovese

06 Solanus – Lat Harvest Semillon 8.5% RS 14
Watery, flowery, sugary summer wine. No acid underneath. Low-complexity.

Limited Reserve Port 10% RS. Zin PS and a little CS 38
Actually quite nice. Sweeet red but raspberries, blackberries and tobacco on the palate.

Solera Cream Sherry 12% RS 29
Roasted Caramel, apparently. (!) v v sweeeet. A little zip on the back. Not really good.