factotum

quality posts: 10 Private Messages factotum
Eleni927 wrote:the thing no one's really mentioned and my main reason for going with non-pitted is that the pitted olives, to me anyways, have too much of the brine taste when you eat them. the hole where the pit was gets filled in after all, and though convenient it's too much for me.

You could soak them in some water and let osmosis draw the salt out.

justagigilo85

quality posts: 9 Private Messages justagigilo85
greenmonkey125 wrote:Translation: as olives are... olives, and not a wheat/rye/barley product, it's kind of impossible for there to be gluten.

Unless of course there is an ingredient in the flavor or seasoning of the olives that has gluten. I wouldn't be so quick to write off the celiac's question.

kwdragon

quality posts: 5 Private Messages kwdragon

Hey Woot,

"Ingredients"

Just sayin'.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

barkley69

quality posts: 0 Private Messages barkley69
factotum wrote:You could soak them in some water and let osmosis draw the salt out.

Typically, this works the other way. Sodium attracts water toward it. Of course there are membrane transport issue that affect this process. But for the most part soaking a salt load olive in water would pull water into the olive, not the other way around. However, you may still accomplish the end-point of reducing overall saltiness.

MadamAtom

quality posts: 7 Private Messages MadamAtom
hjdttt wrote:Anybody have the dimensions of the barrel? I want to make sure this will fit in my fridge.

I can't say for sure, but I turned up a site on how to cure olives that says "Clean, 5-gallon plastic buckets with lids can effectively store about 20 pounds of olives." About 5 gallons for about 20 pounds --> about 1 gallon for about 4 pounds; it's a sizable fridge commitment, but it should fit anywhere you'd keep a gallon jug of milk, I think.

If my husband liked olives, I'd be all over this. I'm still tempted.

slowpoke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slowpoke
kwdragon wrote:Hey Woot, "Ingredients" Just sayin'.

You can read 'em off the big pics if you squint.

Ingredients: Greek olives, Peppers, Lemon, Oregano, Savoury, Brine, Extra virgin olive oil

zarvok

quality posts: 0 Private Messages zarvok

I like to eat olives but rarely buy them at the store myself. Can someone comment on the price? Is this a good deal?

greenmonkey125

quality posts: 10 Private Messages greenmonkey125
justagigilo85 wrote:Unless of course there is an ingredient in the flavor or seasoning of the olives that has gluten. I wouldn't be so quick to write off the celiac's question.

None of the ingredients they provide have gluten, either (savory, by the way, is a mint flavor, I believe).

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
zarvok wrote:I like to eat olives but rarely buy them at the store myself. Can someone comment on the price? Is this a good deal?

Most local grocers have olive bars that run $6.99 a lb.

1.8 kg = 1800g = 63.4 oz = 3lb-15.4oz = 3.96 lb

So each container from the "bar" would be ~$28.

tbase

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tbase

And when you finish them, you can build your own tiny rain barrel for your kids' green doll house.

THIS PLACE HAS BIG BUILDINGS.
I LIKE FOOD.

giantcrazy

quality posts: 1 Private Messages giantcrazy
greenmonkey125 wrote:Along with my commitment issues, (and kind of in the same vein) does anybody know how long these would last if/after being opened? And should they be stored in the refrigerator? My guesses would be... quite a while, and yes. But I'd like to know if anyone's an... expert?

I've spent several years visiting this region in Greece and have brought back olives with me every time I go. I can answer a few of these questions.

How long do they last? A very, very long time. As in, almost indefinitely. Just keep them covered in brine, and they'll be fine. The only thing that will change is the texture, but that could easily take a year or two to make a noticeable difference.

Is there a difference between pitted and non-pitted? Slight, but the pitting process does split the fruit and will cause that texture changing process while in the brine to accelerate. They'll still last a long time, just that they'll get softer faster.

Kosher? No idea, but the factories that process these usually only process olives and oil from those olives, so I can't imagine that it'd be a problem (although not sure if the Kosher process involves much more than that).

This is a good buy; it costs me almost this much when I'm there, and I have to arrange for return shipping back. If I didn't already have a solid supply, I'd add to it.

billkaris

quality posts: 0 Private Messages billkaris

I've been to Kalamata Greece, and have seen the olive trees, and the packing of the fresh olives. This is the real deal, and the taste should be amazing......

epatl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages epatl
k1avg wrote:No, but I've seen plastic jars of olives exactly like these (i.e., same shape and color, though I don't know from memory if they're the same importer and all that) in the Greek deli I frequent at least once a week, and they're legit Greek. The owner's name is Kostas, for goodness sake.

Are you by any chance referring to the greek deli on 19th street in Washington, DC?

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
epatl wrote:Are you by any chance referring to the greek deli on 19th street in Washington, DC?

I am. I could eat a gyro platter from there every day for the rest of my life and die a very, very happy fat man. In fact, I think I know what I'm having for lunch today.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

mkrauss123

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mkrauss123
greenmonkey125 wrote:Translation: as olives are... olives, and not a wheat/rye/barley product, it's kind of impossible for there to be gluten.

Unless they were in a vinegar brine. Vinegar can be made from apples (gluten free), grapes (gluten free), or barley malt (contains gluten).

They may also have been processed in a plant where wheat or other gluten containing products are processed and have a risk of cross contamination.

I'm just saying...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
41susan14 wrote:Oh for heavens sake. Olive Recipes:

Unpitted olives: Eat Olive. Spit out pit. Repeat.

Pitted olives: Impale an olive on each of your fingers and thumbs. Eat olives off. Repeat.

Why adulterate yummy olives with other stuff?

Because then divorce lawyers would be hurting for business, THAT'S WHY. Do your part to stimulate the economy, adulterate your olives!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

mdnorman wrote:I can't believe I'm tempted. This is nuts.

it's all the adultery talk

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

tbase wrote:And when you finish them, you can build your own tiny rain barrel for your kids' green doll house.

That'd be a heck of a dollhouse if it was to scale, but I love the idea. Now get to work on solar panels!

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms

Yay! Olives! In for two... Thank you, woot! gods for returning Food Fridays to us...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

rockdawg9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rockdawg9
lurcher wrote:Most local grocers have olive bars that run $6.99 a lb.

1.8 kg = 1800g = 63.4 oz = 3lb-15.4oz = 3.96 lb

So each container from the "bar" would be ~$28, thus this is a heck-of-a-deal on 2x containers of olives.

If only. You get ONE container for your 25 bucks. Not both. I can't possibly see the need for so many olives in one go when I can get just how many I need at the local olive bar.

mrbruno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrbruno

Hello my name is Bruno and I represent Mani Imports. I sell their Olive all over the West Coast and of course beeing so impartial they are the best...
I can tell you this is the best deal you gonna get on Olive. They were still hanging in the trees in Greece a few months ago. They are fresh from 2010 harvest and be on your tables next week. Awesome!

mrbruno

quality posts: 2 Private Messages mrbruno

I will be on for a little bit and back again later on today I will try to answer all your comments and questions. I agree we need to know everything we can about Kalamata olives
end by the end of Sunday MY (GREEK) GOD WE WILL...

greenmonkey125

giantcrazy wrote:I've spent several years visiting this region in Greece and have brought back olives with me every time I go. I can answer a few of these questions.

How long do they last? A very, very long time. As in, almost indefinitely. Just keep them covered in brine, and they'll be fine. The only thing that will change is the texture, but that could easily take a year or two to make a noticeable difference.

Is there a difference between pitted and non-pitted? Slight, but the pitting process does split the fruit and will cause that texture changing process while in the brine to accelerate. They'll still last a long time, just that they'll get softer faster.

Kosher? No idea, but the factories that process these usually only process olives and oil from those olives, so I can't imagine that it'd be a problem (although not sure if the Kosher process involves much more than that).

This is a good buy; it costs me almost this much when I'm there, and I have to arrange for return shipping back. If I didn't already have a solid supply, I'd add to it.

well said. Thanks for the info. I agree they're a great buy... I think the olive bar at Whole Foods (where I usually get my olives) is $10/lb.

greenmonkey125

mkrauss123 wrote:Unless they were in a vinegar brine. Vinegar can be made from apples (gluten free), grapes (gluten free), or barley malt (contains gluten).

They may also have been processed in a plant where wheat or other gluten containing products are processed and have a risk of cross contamination.

I'm just saying...

I get what you're saying. I'm not a company representative, so I can't say 100% that they're entirely 'Locard's principle' untouched by gluten or were not made in a malt vinegar... I would just be surprised. I should have phrased what I said more precisely.

pflugster

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pflugster
kwdragon wrote:Hey Woot,

"Ingredients"

Just sayin'.

slowpoke wrote:You can read 'em off the big pics if you squint.

Ingredients: Greek olives, Peppers, Lemon, Oregano, Savoury, Brine, Extra virgin olive oil

I think kwdragon's poke was directed to the copy editor about the lack of spell check within the write-up, not that they couldn't tell what the contents were...

rak508

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rak508
k1avg wrote:"Extra virgin," "virgin," and other such designations only refer to olive oil and depend on the process used to press the oil. There are not, to my knowledge, any such quality designations for whole olives.

I'm not sure. Either you're a virgin or you're not, and what the hell do olives have to do with anything?

AsherJ532

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AsherJ532
Anorion wrote:Gluten free?

Gluten in found in grains, not fruits (which, technically, is what olives are).

AsherJ532

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AsherJ532
mkrauss123 wrote:Unless they were in a vinegar brine. Vinegar can be made from apples (gluten free), grapes (gluten free), or barley malt (contains gluten).

I'm just saying...

Vinegar is not an ingredient in brine. Brine is made of two things: salt and water. If there were vinegar in the marinade, it would have to be listed separately.

elangomatt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages elangomatt
AsherJ532 wrote:Gluten in found in grains, not fruits (which, technically, is what olives are).

And if you want to be really specific, you could say that olives are actually drupes, which of course is a fruit that has a fleshy part surrounding a hard pit/stone.

I am just trying to decide now whether I want to buy this or not. I will probably spend $20 more on olives from our local farmers market in the next few months for less than this, but I'm not sure I want to commit this much fridge space to a barrel of olives!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 157 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

I'm in. We do so many tastings here. Olives always come in handy.

bhodilee

ScottHarveyWines wrote:I'm in. We do so many tastings here. Olives always come in handy.

Scott,

Why is that? I guess I don't think wine and olives together much, but then I've never been a huge fan of straight up olives either.

maniimports

quality posts: 4 Private Messages maniimports

Hello, this is Mani Imports, thank you for trying our olives! Here is all the information:
-The nutritional info for a 0.5oz (14g)serving size is: Calories 40, Fat Cal: 35, Total Fat: 2.5g, Sat Fat 0g, Cholest 0mg, Sodium 280mg, Total Carb 2g, Sugars 0mg, Trans Fat 0mg, Protein 0g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 0mg. Not a significant source of fiber, vitamin A & C.
-They are not Kosher
-The olives do not need refrigeration after opening as long as they stay submerged in the brine with some olive oil and kept in a cool, dry place. We do recommend refrigeration for best results and a long lasting, superior tasting olive. They last approx a year.
-Gluten-free
If you have any other questions please let us know-Mani Imports

kylemittskus

quality posts: 232 Private Messages kylemittskus
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I'm in. We do so many tastings here. Olives always come in handy.

Love it!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

greenmonkey125

maniimports wrote:Hello, this is Mani Imports, thank you for trying our olives! Here is all the information:
-The nutritional info for a 0.5oz (14g)serving size is: Calories 40, Fat Cal: 35, Total Fat: 2.5g, Sat Fat 0g, Cholest 0mg, Sodium 280mg, Total Carb 2g, Sugars 0mg, Trans Fat 0mg, Protein 0g, Calcium 0mg, Iron 0mg. Not a significant source of fiber, vitamin A & C.
-They are not Kosher
-The olives do not need refrigeration after opening as long as they stay submerged in the brine with some olive oil and kept in a cool, dry place. We do recommend refrigeration for best results and a long lasting, superior tasting olive.
-Gluten-free
If you have any other questions please let us know-Mani Imports

I would think refrigeration would possibly solidify the olive oil which would be a bit of a hassle. Glad to hear they can be kept un-refrigerated for a modest period of time (as long as it will take me to eat them!).

k1avg

quality posts: 82 Private Messages k1avg
k1avg wrote:I am. I could eat a gyro platter from there every day for the rest of my life and die a very, very happy fat man. In fact, I think I know what I'm having for lunch today.

I'm currently in gyro heaven, and in between bites of pure, tzatziki-laden magic, can report that I checked the olive barrels at the deli, and they are from a different importer and 100% Kalamata, but are the same size - 2kg unpitted, and check in at $30.99. So counting shipping, this isn't exactly a stupendous deal, but 17% off is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

--
Lawyer (of sorts) by day. Drinker of fine wines, homebrewer of fine beers, connoisseur of fine Scotches by night.
The current holdings.

SunflowerPrincess

quality posts: 18 Private Messages SunflowerPrincess

Ok olive purists, I agree with you, but thought I would post this yummy recipe I recently found on a food blog. (http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/feta-salsa/) I see no reason why you couldn’t use an olive mix instead of just Kalamata’s.

Feta Salsa
Definitely consider this recipe as more of a guideline. It works as is but is infinitely flexible should you want to use different herbs or add capers or skip something or other. Also, if your store has more than one type of feta, I love trying all of them — some of our favorites are the Bulgarian and the French ones, but the everyday sturdy stuff works just fine, too.
1/2 pound feta (cow’s milk)
2/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil
1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
2 tablespoons fresh dill
3 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley
2 scallions
1/4 cup olive oil
Crumble the feta into a bowl. Chop the tomatoes and olives, dill and parsley and thinly slice the scallions. Gently mix the ingredients together and drizzle with a few tablespoons of olive oil, or to taste.

Oops, my Tiara slipped!

slowpoke

quality posts: 3 Private Messages slowpoke
pflugster wrote:I think kwdragon's poke was directed to the copy editor about the lack of spell check ...

Gotcha. Damn. Squited for nothin'.

maniimports

quality posts: 4 Private Messages maniimports

Ingredients for Mani Olives: Greek Olives, Roasted Red Peppers, Water, Lemon, White Wine Vinegar, Sea Salt, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Oregano

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Does anyone know if the heat from shipping could damage the olives in any way? It's close to 100 here in Atlanta and I'd hate to end up with burnt olives...

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

aspen128 wrote:So the wine can only be shipped to the states listed, but what about the foods? Specifically, can this particular woot go overseas to a military apo?

Food and other non-wine items can be shipped to an APO address, as long as the APO option is listed under the drop down menu.