CT links above

Winery website

Facebook
Twitter
Yelp

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

The Viogner bottles are very attractive. Methinks they'd made excellent gifts based on the elegance of the "label" alone.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

CaptainWes

quality posts: 102 Private Messages CaptainWes

What does the "J" stand for?

blairms

quality posts: 6 Private Messages blairms

Found this short review of the Chard:

http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/164/

"14.3% alc., $28. · Light straw colored in the glass. Toasty oak and sawdust dominate the green apple aromas. Very tasty glazed apple and pear flavors with underlying notes of light caramel, brioche and oak. California-styled with plenty of oakderived aromas and flavors that will find favor with many Chardonnay lovers. Good. Reviewed May 24, 2010"

ccrida

quality posts: 6 Private Messages ccrida

I don't have a great understanding of why some whites can age well but most are better young. These are a few years old, are they made for aging a bit, and if so why? I notice they were released in '08 though so maybe not...

blairms

Found another review of the Chard that is getting me interested:

http://www.tayloreason.com/corkscrew/archives/smart-transition-j-vineyards-and-winery-story/

" Vineyards 2007 Chardonnay Russian River My first tasting note for this wine was “salivacious,” a descriptor I picked up from Melissa Stackhouse, winemaker for La Crema Winery. Her chardonnays and the J have equally balanced acidity and oaky-buttery creaminess, rare in California. Almost like the best of both chardonnay worlds. The J is elegant and plush with peaches, toasted almonds and a honeyed finish. Not too rich though and its lemony tartness kisses you goodbye. Sw=2. $28. 4.5 stars."

I've been looking for a decent California Chardonnay with a bit of butter, so I'm going to have to hit the button on this one.

Cesare

quality posts: 1564 Private Messages Cesare
CaptainWes wrote:What does the "J" stand for?

Jordan

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Kao1138

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Kao1138

Is it just me or is 14.3% alcohol content a bit high for Chardonnay? Alchohol content aside if it were just Chardonnay I'd buy it in an instant but I'm not up for paying $21.25/bottle for the Viognier.

kylemittskus

Kao1138 wrote:Is it just me or is 14.3% alcohol content a bit high for Chardonnay? Alchohol content aside if it were just Chardonnay I'd buy it in an instant but I'm not up for paying $21.25/bottle for the Viognier.

It comes out to a little less than $17/bottle with shipping. Or you think the Chards are worth $12 a piece...

chardonay

quality posts: 29 Private Messages chardonay

I absolutely love J wines.. i used to belong to their wine club before the shipping was as much as the wines. this is a super deal. You can't beat a Russian River Chardonnay.

What Contemptible Scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch??

Kao1138

kylemittskus wrote:It comes out to a little less than $17/bottle with shipping. Or you think the Chards are worth $12 a piece...

This is why I shouldn't drink and post on Woot,
alchol > math

Still wondering about the alcohol though.

kylemittskus

Kao1138 wrote:This is why I shouldn't drink and post on Woot, alchol > math

Still wondering about the alcohol though.

High? Eh. Certainly higher than its French counterparts, but certainly not insanely high. To give a well-known comparison, the '08 KJ chard is 13.5% but tasted like 14.5%. A friend ordered it at CPK a while ago. My guess is that KJ undershot it and this J is right on target.

blairms

kylemittskus wrote:It comes out to a little less than $17/bottle with shipping. Or you think the Chards are worth $12 a piece...

The winery website lists the Chard at $28 (but other sites list it at $23) and the Viognier is on special at $21 before shipping. This seems like a pretty decent deal.

Oh, in for two. Need some whites since it's getting flippin hot here in Texas.

Kao1138

Incidentally on the subject of $12 chards, a cheap chardonnay is fine for using when cooking salmon. I recommend Bogle for that purpose (about $12 a bottle).

blairms

Kao1138 wrote:Incidentally on the subject of $12 chards, a cheap chardonnay is fine for using when cooking salmon. I recommend Bogle for that purpose (about $12 a bottle).

Do you have a recipe?

vixro

quality posts: 8 Private Messages vixro

That bottle label is really cool.

Epicuria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Epicuria

J=Jordan

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

J / Jordan is bomb stuff!

If you have never had their Pinot, head down to Costco, and if you are lucky like we are here in SD, they have their Russian River Pinot always on hand. I have 4 in the wine cooler at all times.

IN for this for sure ... was just up in Sonoma / RRV and loved the Pinots and Chards we had ...

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

swootchie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages swootchie

ok... color me a neophyte but here goes. how long does it normally take woot to send out wines once they are ordered. i have ordered 2 of the previous wootings, but nothing has shipped... so how long normally does it take for the orders to be processed (sorry but i am really wanting to order more but am hesitant since i dont know what the e.t.a. is)

- deb

Swootchie

blairms

swootchie wrote:ok... color me a neophyte but here goes. how long does it normally take woot to send out wines once they are ordered. i have ordered 2 of the previous wootings, but nothing has shipped... so how long normally does it take for the orders to be processed (sorry but i am really wanting to order more but am hesitant since i dont know what the e.t.a. is)

It takes a while, and it depends on the winery. I'd say give it between two weeks and a month before you see it ship.

davide63

quality posts: 4 Private Messages davide63
swootchie wrote:ok... color me a neophyte but here goes. how long does it normally take woot to send out wines once they are ordered. i have ordered 2 of the previous wootings, but nothing has shipped... so how long normally does it take for the orders to be processed (sorry but i am really wanting to order more but am hesitant since i dont know what the e.t.a. is)

- deb

I ordered the Clif Climber Red on June 9th - it arrived on June 25th in KS

swootchie

quality posts: 11 Private Messages swootchie
blairms wrote:It takes a while, and it depends on the winery. I'd say give it between two weeks and a month before you see it ship.

whoa - oh my... well i suppose i best tell my friend for whom i had ordered the wine to not be expecting it anytime soon then.

thanks!

Swootchie

robbio

quality posts: 1 Private Messages robbio

J stands for Jordan only in as much as the vineyard was founded by the daughter of Tom Jordan, Judy, in 1986 who built it as its own independent winery.
They make excellent wines however and are a much more well known/regarded winery than is normally found on W00t.
I love their chards, but have not tried the viognier.

blairms

swootchie wrote:whoa - oh my... well i suppose i best tell my friend for whom i had ordered the wine to not be expecting it anytime soon then.

I looked back through my orders and found that most of them shipped out around 10 days after I ordered them.

choey2k5

quality posts: 6 Private Messages choey2k5

Is the elongated S-looking symbol on the Chardonnay label supposed to be the integral symbol? If so, I might have to reconsider my bias against Chardonnays!

emfield

quality posts: 0 Private Messages emfield
choey2k5 wrote:Is the elongated S-looking symbol on the Chardonnay label supposed to be the integral symbol? If so, I might have to reconsider my bias against Chardonnays!

I'm guessing it's a J, though I can't really explain my reasoning.

alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan
swootchie wrote:whoa - oh my... well i suppose i best tell my friend for whom i had ordered the wine to not be expecting it anytime soon then.

thanks!

Since the shipping is done at the individual wineries, it can vary a lot on when it leaves. Plus during the summer (for southern destinations especially), they try to time the shipping so the bottles won't be stuck in a hot warehouse somewhere over a weekend.

A similar delay can happen in the winter for northern climates during real cold snaps too.

All in all, I've learned to not panic until 3 weeks or so from ordering during the summer since I live in Houston.

bbarlame

quality posts: 17 Private Messages bbarlame

The previous Kunde Viognier offering has gotten viognier to the top of my fav white varietals. If not for the 6 White Zeppelin on the way I would buy this just for the Viognier.

rpm

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rpm

This is an interesting offering. I've had a few J wines over the years and they've been generally good, if a little pricey. Russian River Chardonnay is almost always worth trying, and the Alexander Valley (warmer climate) seems like a good place for Viognier, though I haven't tried it. Nice combination. Unless you're cash-strapped or hate Chardonnay, worth a shot on the numbers and descriptions.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

organicrunr

quality posts: 2 Private Messages organicrunr

In for sure--first sucker! I am new to woot but not to J. We lived in Santa Rosa for a year and J was on our "farewell tour." Definitely worth a visit for their unique tasting with small bites of food paired with the wines, and definitely worth reliving it! Here is where Judy Jordan came from:

jordanwinery.com

and their wines are incredible too.

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold
ccrida wrote:I don't have a great understanding of why some whites can age well but most are better young. These are a few years old, are they made for aging a bit, and if so why? I notice they were released in '08 though so maybe not...

As far as I know, it is believed that the acidity and the sugar in a white wine are what allow them to age. Rieslings and sweet whites age well because of the sugar content. Dry whites will age well if they have good acidity. 2007 isn't too old. 2009 whites from the northern hemisphere are coming out now for the most part. I'm not sure I would hold onto these for more than a year or two, but they shouldn't be over the hill yet.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

How good is this deal?

Lookin' at a pretty solid deal here. Fun thing to note: The winery provides a 10% discount on the Chardonnay when the order includes a full case (a wooting of 3). This discount is NOT applied to the Viognier, which is labeled as a "specialty" wine.

Click the link above for full discount details, CT links, etc.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
rpm wrote:This is an interesting offering. I've had a few J wines over the years and they've been generally good, if a little pricey. Russian River Chardonnay is almost always worth trying, and the Alexander Valley (warmer climate) seems like a good place for Viognier, though I haven't tried it. Nice combination. Unless you're cash-strapped or hate Chardonnay, worth a shot on the numbers and descriptions.

So much for the SIWBM, which was already teetering on this offer.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
blairms wrote:Do you have a recipe?

I do. I make this one at least a couple of times every summer. Great for a picnic supper at the park before enjoying the free Shakespeare play.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

10centpower

quality posts: 3 Private Messages 10centpower
choey2k5 wrote:Is the elongated S-looking symbol on the Chardonnay label supposed to be the integral symbol? If so, I might have to reconsider my bias against Chardonnays!

This guy is the winemaker

snkp360

quality posts: 4 Private Messages snkp360

Wow this is reaaaalllly tempting....

My CellarTracker

LAST PURCHASE: (2)Kent Rasmussen 2009 Petite Sirah 3-Pack

2013: 1 Woot (6 Bottles)
2011: 2 Woots (6 Bottles)
2010: 12 Woots (37 Bottles)
2008: 1 Woot (6 Bottles)

I blame the bouncing button and flashing lights

jvineyardswinery

quality posts: 15 Private Messages jvineyardswinery
CaptainWes wrote:What does the "J" stand for?

Hello, Elisa here from J Vineyards & Winery, very excited to be part of the Woot group today and thought I would chime in to answers your questions.

J stands for Judy Jordan, Founder and President of J Vineyards & Winery and second generation vintner, chose to honor her family's heritage with a courageous and different path. Respecting her family and the Jordan Winery, Judy decided as a young woman to build her own brand and winery.

Learn more: http://www.jwine.com/AboutUs/StoryOfJ/

jvineyardswinery

blairms wrote:Do you have a recipe?

Here are some recipes for the J Chardonnay, created by our Executive Chef, Mark E. Caldwell: http://www.jwine.com/Entertain/Recipes/Chardonnay/

Hope this help.

jvineyardswinery

blairms wrote:Found this short review of the Chard:

http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/164/

"14.3% alc., $28. · Light straw colored in the glass. Toasty oak and sawdust dominate the green apple aromas. Very tasty glazed apple and pear flavors with underlying notes of light caramel, brioche and oak. California-styled with plenty of oakderived aromas and flavors that will find favor with many Chardonnay lovers. Good. Reviewed May 24, 2010"

Here are a few more brief reviews on the 2007 J Vineyards RRV Chardonnay:

California Grapevine, 90 Points
Restaurant Wine, 4 stars
KSRO Radio, Best Whites: J Chardonnay
Robb Report, Featured in the story “100 Perfect Pours”
San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition 2010: God Medal
The Tasting Panel, 91 Points
Wine Enthusiast, 90 Points
Wine Review Online, 90 Points
Sun Sentinel, “J Vineyards Excels with White and Red Wines”