ViperEagle

quality posts: 20 Private Messages ViperEagle
gabbins wrote:...I've tasted a lot and this was one of the best I've had...It got soft in my mouth faster...I also liked the thickness...

*giggle*

dangerhaus

quality posts: 12 Private Messages dangerhaus
ausfest wrote:Never question my snobbery. A snob samples, let's the flavor attach itself to the soft palate and melt its way to the taste buds in order to assess that the product is worthy of purchase price. We snobs don't merely order the object of our snobbification on some website just because some forum bully offers up a harangue climaxing in all caps.

That said, in for one.

let's be snobs together. a snob lets another snob shoot himself in the foot and then put said foot in mouth. We snobs don't merely order etc. just because we have asked some other snob for hearsay about leaning on a scale from Lindt to Theo, we admit to sampling, also known as following my advice and EATING THE CHOCOLATE.

oops. shouting again. so i'm a loud snob.

the ha is silent - i'm laughing on the inside

dangerhaus

vinithehat wrote:You're here a couple hours and you're already self-serving, sarcastic and snarky. Welcome to woot!

back atcha, mister trippin'balls

ausfest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ausfest
dangerhaus wrote:let's be snobs together. a snob lets another snob shoot himself in the foot and then put said foot in mouth. We snobs don't merely order etc. just because we have asked some other snob for hearsay about leaning on a scale from Lindt to Theo, we admit to sampling, also known as following my advice and EATING THE CHOCOLATE.

oops. shouting again. so i'm a loud snob.

wellifically putted.

dangerhaus

ausfest wrote:wellifically putted.

enjoy your chocolate. happy Jesus-returns-from the-grave-and-is-transubstantiated-into-a-chocolate-bunny-Holyday weekend.

that reminds me:

which came first, the chocolate rabbit or the chocolate egg?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

This may be the strangest thread for an item on wine.woot (outside of woot-offs) I have ever seen.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

richardhod

quality posts: 261 Private Messages richardhod
dangerhaus wrote:enjoy your chocolate. happy Jesus-returns-from the-grave-and-is-transubstantiated-into-a-choclate-bunny-Holyday weekend.

that reminds me:

which came first, the chocolate rabbit or the chocolate egg?

Well it was the rabbit, or how else would the egg get fertilised? since all this fluffiness comes from old pagan spring rituals and fertility symbols...

ausfest

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ausfest
dangerhaus wrote:which came first, the chocolate rabbit or the chocolate egg?

Peeps predate both.

vinithehat

quality posts: 23 Private Messages vinithehat

wings2004

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wings2004

I know this is probably a given but I don't know much about the concept. Question is : Is this gluten free? I have a friend that I'm planning on sharing this with and they are allergic to gluten so it would be good to know if this was or not. I want to get it but I would feel bad sharing with everyone but them.

Thanks!

gabbins

quality posts: 2 Private Messages gabbins
ViperEagle wrote:*giggle*

Yes, good chocolate does compare to, um, that.

powerpiglet

quality posts: 6 Private Messages powerpiglet
Zr555 wrote:Aren't [kilo]Pascals a measure of pressure?

Therefore you would need at least one other piece of information to gleam its weight (or mass if you wanna play it that way).

The original question was asking how big "one bar" is. Ha ha?

rainrepublic

quality posts: 20 Private Messages rainrepublic
wings2004 wrote:I know this is probably a given but I don't know much about the concept. Question is : Is this gluten free? I have a friend that I'm planning on sharing this with and they are allergic to gluten so it would be good to know if this was or not. I want to get it but I would feel bad sharing with everyone but them.

Thanks!

Gluten free!

Jungle Josh

pi3832

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pi3832
ausfest wrote:Peeps predate both.

Peeps are the work of the devil.

pi3832

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pi3832
powerpiglet wrote:The original question was asking how big "one bar" is. Ha ha?

Many, (in the U.S. call it "most") people are unaware that "bar" is a unit of measure of pressure.

brucedoesbms

quality posts: 158 Private Messages brucedoesbms
pi3832 wrote:Many, (in the U.S. call it "most") people are unaware that "bar" is a unit of measure of pressure.

...as in isobar...

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

rockdawg9

quality posts: 2 Private Messages rockdawg9

Wow, I'm impressed and mildly amazed that nobody has started bitching about having chocolate on WINE.woot. I mean, why don't we just tun this place into snobbychocolate.woot? Where is the kvetching, people?

SJCwineaux

quality posts: 3 Private Messages SJCwineaux
rockdawg9 wrote:Wow, I'm impressed and mildly amazed that nobody has started bitching about having chocolate on WINE.woot. I mean, why don't we just tun this place into snobbychocolate.woot? Where is the kvetching, people?

Trouble maker! :-)

Got to remember: Buy less, drink more!

cal000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cal000

It would be awesome if they had dark chocolate with chile as well. I've had a few different versions of chocolate bars with red chile powder, and after the initial weirdness, it's wonderful stuff.

vinithehat

cal000 wrote:It would be awesome if they had dark chocolate with chile as well. I've had a few different versions of chocolate bars with red chile powder, and after the initial weirdness, it's wonderful stuff.

Chile is a nation. You mean chili.

brucedoesbms

cal000 wrote:It would be awesome if they had dark chocolate with chile as well. I've had a few different versions of chocolate bars with red chile powder, and after the initial weirdness, it's wonderful stuff.

One of my favorites is Chuao Spicy Maya

“Giving a camera to Diane Arbus is like putting a live grenade in the hands of a child.” --Norman Mailer
woot!ism of Assurance: "There is [WAS] no finer market than the one you create for something nobody wants, yet everyone buys... "

shmelissa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shmelissa
ChefRAZ wrote:they process chocolate there. they get thier cocoa beans from several different places.really good choclate is a blend of different cocoa beans.

Hmm...In my tasting experience beans from different cacao growing regions definitely taste different. I live in Seattle and was just at the Theo chocolate shop. They have an interesting process for making the chocolate, the milk and dark are separate and then they add in any additional things afterwards (nuts/fruit etc.) by hand.

The bars from single origins (specifically I'm referencing the Madagascar 74%) had a distinct flavor, best enjoyed after it slowly melts in the mouth YUM! They answered all of our questions and I really felt like I learned a lot...even when the answer wasn't always in their favor

Edit: logged into the wrong account >< This one appears to have been a newbie one that I just re-discovered HA!

rainrepublic

brucedoesbms wrote:One of my favorites is Chuao Spicy Maya

We grow chile cobanero here in Northern Guate. It is very spicy and woodsy.

We made this bar in the past for our local market and it was very well received. We will try to make it available for the US market in the near future. Thank for your comments and keep them coming.

Jungle Josh

brucedoesbms

vinithehat wrote:Chile is a nation. You mean chili.

Please reference Dictionary.com to see that both spellings are synonymous for the pepper...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rainrepublic wrote:I can attest no frogs nor any other animals were hurt in the production of this chocolate. It is VEGAN, dairy free and not tested on animals.

Dairy free chocolate? is it still smooth?

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

brucedoesbms

rainrepublic wrote:We grow chile cobanero here in Northern Guate. It is very spicy and woodsy.

We have made this bar for our local market in the past and it was very well received. Thanks for your comments and we will make it available in the US ASAP. Thanks.

I would love to order some right now! How can you get it to me?

rainrepublic

tytiger58 wrote:Dairy free chocolate? is it still smooth?

Rain Republic is a very smooth chocolate. Enjoy a premium chocolate with a deliciously complex and unique flavor.

Jungle Josh

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
rainrepublic wrote:The price represents the quality of our product, the dedication of our workers and our commitment to doing things right. This is the best of the best, you will not be disappointed.

Alright rain I guess i'm in even tho I really don't like vegan food and chocolate without dairy makes me wonder and all natural really scares me.....in for one!

Cheers!

I sure hope this is good!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rainrepublic

brucedoesbms wrote:I would love to order some right now! How can you get it to me?

Bruce, email me at info@rainrepublic.com and I will send you one off from Guate late next week, no prob., no charge. I hope you can try our signature bar too, its really something special. Thanks.

Jungle Josh

vinithehat

rainrepublic wrote:Bruce, email me at info@rainrepublic.com and I will send you one off from Guate late next week, no prob., no charge. I hope you can try our signature bar too, its really something special. Thanks.

well what the heck! why'd i even buy this! haha

Zr555

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zr555

RainRepublic,

Would you care to comment a bit more on the actually processing of your chocolate. I understand if you don't' wish to elaborate on your processes - but the inner food scientist in me is curios (I work as a fruit and nat. flavor chemist)

When your grinding the coco - is this done to a certain specific size (ie via Comatrol) or is this more of a hand method that will give a large variation in the compounds fragment size?

Also, do you control the temperature during production (ie slow down grinding or the entire process) to keep from overheating the chocolate? This is more of my trying to verify if keeping the chocolate EXTREMELY woot during processing does preserve some of the more nuanced flavors.

I guess my base question is: Other then the single (3X) source ingredients, use of a higher quality mix of coco beans what makes your (and other) chocolates super premium?

Sorry for the redundancy in my question...I realize a lot of this has been answered throughout the discussion - please feel free to ignore anything that's previously been stated.

rfsmit

quality posts: 7 Private Messages rfsmit

Even individually, $3 a bar isn't cheap.

At that price, give me better than 90%. Your 70% is a waste of good cocoa.

dangerhaus

rockdawg9 wrote:Wow, I'm impressed and mildly amazed that nobody has started bitching about having chocolate on WINE.woot. I mean, why don't we just tun this place into snobbychocolate.woot? Where is the kvetching, people?

whut? you missed the nuts?
the many, many, many nuts?

jgilstrap3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jgilstrap3

Dark rich chocolate pairs best with full body, deep wines such as many Cab-sav, pinot Noir, merlot, & red Zin! However, the "bitter" in the dark chocolate can take a "too sweet" wine back a notch & make it more enjoyable~

Coming to you from a Wine Professional

jgilstrap3

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jgilstrap3
rfsmit wrote:Even individually, $3 a bar isn't cheap.

At that price, give me better than 90%. Your 70% is a waste of good cocoa.

Are you kidding me?? I'm not sure where you live but you will pay upwards of $6.00 a bar for 60% at the regular grocery store in WA state!!!

lesj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages lesj
jgilstrap3 wrote:Dark rich chocolate pairs best with full body, deep wines such as many Cab-sav, pinot Noir, merlot, & red Zin! However, the "bitter" in the dark chocolate can take a "too sweet" wine back a notch & make it more enjoyable~

Coming to you from a Wine Professional

Thanks for the advice! Here in Guate we get a lot of Chilean and Argentinean wine, so what would you think of a Carmenere?

rainrepublic

Zr555 wrote:RainRepublic,

Would you care to comment a bit more on the actually processing of your chocolate. I understand if you don't' wish to elaborate on your processes - but the inner food scientist in me is curios (I work as a fruit and nat. flavor chemist)

When your grinding the coco - is this done to a certain specific size (ie via Comatrol) or is this more of a hand method that will give a large variation in the compounds fragment size?

Also, do you control the temperature during production (ie slow down grinding or the entire process) to keep from overheating the chocolate? This is more of my trying to verify if keeping the chocolate EXTREMELY woot during processing does preserve some of the more nuanced flavors.

I guess my base question is: Other then the single (3X) source ingredients, use of a higher quality mix of coco beans what makes your (and other) chocolates super premium?

Sorry for the redundancy in my question...I realize a lot of this has been answered throughout the discussion - please feel free to ignore anything that's previously been stated.

You wooters are serious! Thanks for another great question. Chocolate has long been described as a dark art and very little good information is available out there so here it is an overview.

First, you select a great bean and make sure its well fermented. Fermentation develops the sugar in the bean. Then you roast the bean properly to create a maillard reaction-the complex chocolate flavor.

Chocolate has some crazy viscosity properties so heat, humidity, timing and formulation are key. After selecting and pre-refinging the cane juice and whole bean vanilla you refine the whole mixture to the correct particle size while driving off volatile chemicals (conching).

In the end, you hope to achieve a mixture around 25-20 microns for perfect mouthfeel. We do low heat processing because we feel as many others that low heat best preserves the real flavor of chocolate (<100C).

What makes this super premium is the quality of the bean, the sugar and the whole bean vanilla along with the processing. You can use chemicals to erase and then add back the taste. You can produce industrially this way much cheaper but then, there is no character or terrior to the chocolate. Finally, no one else can offer a triple single origin product because it costs too much. We grow, produce and lovingly raise chocolate here in Guate-please enjoy.

Jungle Josh

md1088

quality posts: 6 Private Messages md1088

I've been on woot for over a year and a half and finally I see a woot launch product! This looks like a pretty good deal, and seeing as though I've been in a drought of good chocolate due to a college budget, this is deal is full of win.

in41.

md1088

quality posts: 6 Private Messages md1088

I think it's the whole "wine.woot + stuff good with wine.woot" ideal. I like it. Gives someone from NJ such as myself a reason to actually check this site other then to moan about shipping =P

vinithehat

This sure beats the artisANAL jerky fiasco.