2. Cheron
3. stagelion

- anyone who misses this one!!

Food:

Appetizers - Karen's Conch Chili

Entree - ddeuddeg's Celestial Pork

Dessert - ddeuddeg Cheesecake.

Wine -
Cabernet Sauvignon ( justin +2 - Nickel & Nickel)
Carignan(justin - 2004 Piece de Roche)
Merlot (tiger - Madison)
Barbera (Justin - Vino Aroma)
Red Zin (tiger - Boss Monster (d-dog wanted an abbreviation. bahwm said NO!)
Nebbiolo (ddeuddeg - Giordano)
Barolo (Justin - Vino Aroma)
Charbono (Justin - Premier - Robert Foley 2004)
Petit Verdot (bahwm - Wellington)
Malbec - (justin - 2005 Altitude 1050 Malbec )
Nero d'Avola (Justin - Vino Aroma)
Tannat - (Justin, 45% blend- 2007 Arroyo JJ's Blend)
Port
Alicante Bouschet
Ribera Duero (was told redundant while serving a Tempranillo)
Petite Sirah (justin + 1 - Arroyo)
Pinot Noir (justin + 1 - Mumm Napa Sparkling Pinot) Could probably use a flat Pinot Noir too.
Tempranillo (justin - Gran Elias Moro (ST says 95, we'll see).
Shiraz/Syrah (tiger - Madison)
Sangiovese - (Justin - Aroma, Chianti).

Training by Gary V on WLTV, here: WLTV #148

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Depends on the weekend We did a similar thing last year (or the year before?) out here. I'll see if I can dig up that thread so you can see what we did.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

Le fil de formation de palais est ici

(link to the Detroit palate training thread )

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm

Can we start discussing availabilty of dates for people? At the end of 3.5, justin suggested April/May. May already has three weekends booked for us: Vegas, May 14 - 16; the following weekend is graduation; Detroit, May 29 - 31st. For ddeuddeg and me, April is better! What about Sat. April 10th? We could host, unless someone else would like to. . .

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

April 10th would be best for me, but again I will be a maybe, since I do not know I will be doing after my defense

justinrsanderson

quality posts: 1 Private Messages justinrsanderson

April 10th works for me. Before we set the date, let's make sure we can get a good number of attendees. Otherwise, we could just have a celebration for Tiger completing her degree, and postpone the training.

Maybe by summer I'll have somewhere to host the party...

"If it smells done, it's done. If it smells burnt, it's burnt. If it don't smell, it ain't done yet."

bahwm

tiger7610 wrote:April 10th would be best for me, but again I will be a maybe, since I do not know I will be doing after my defense

Hey,tiger, when is your defense?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

I'm still working on the date, I need to finish my thesis first, I'm hoping to defend around april 10th-during that week

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
tiger7610 wrote:I'm still working on the date, I need to finish my thesis first, I'm hoping to defend around april 10th-during that week

If you get it done by the 10th, we can have a good excuse to pop a bottle or 2 of bubbly that night.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

cheron98

As of now, April 10th looks like the kind of day I'll be able to make So I shall pencil it in and hope that I'm not double booking myself for the umpteenth time this year...

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:As of now, April 10th looks like the kind of day I'll be able to make So I shall pencil it in and hope that I'm not double booking myself for the umpteenth time this year...

It would be great to see you again!

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter

I took a look at my April, May and June. Had a good laugh.

cheron98

bahwm wrote:It would be great to see you again!

You say this like we won't be seeing each other for two whole weekends the following month you sure you can take that much of me?

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:You say this like we won't be seeing each other for two whole weekends the following month you sure you can take that much of me?

Only one way to find out. Think you can put up with the two of us?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:You say this like we won't be seeing each other for two whole weekends the following month you sure you can take that much of me?

Hey, but I haven't seen you since the middle of January! So, this way, I wouldn't have to wait until the middle of May to see you!

cheron98

SO.

*knock knock*

April 10? Oui? Non?

tiger7610

I like April 10th, how about the rest of the gang? Lighter are you going to be able to make it this time?

Lighter

tiger7610 wrote:I like April 10th, how about the rest of the gang? Lighter are you going to be able to make it this time?

April is about as rough as it gets - nearing end of the semester. Performance on the tenth. Mrs Lighter has similar complications and will be in London on the tenth.

It'll be mid June before I start to have schedule holes.

For the future - I retire Sept 1!!! Except for that fixed income thing I should have some control over my personal schedule.

Long answer to no, we can't come on the tenth. And things will continue to be tricky. I wish some of the other Western new yorkers could get active.

ddeuddeg

tiger7610 wrote:I like April 10th, how about the rest of the gang? Lighter are you going to be able to make it this time?

As long as you're good for April 10th, let's do it. We'll host again, and I'll see to it that we have the stuff we need for the palate training program that Justin found. Bahwm and I are up to our ears in arrangements for the Shakespeare Fabulous Feast and Auction this Saturday (featuring a 3 L bottle of InZinerator as one of the auction items), but we'll get back on here Sunday with some additional ideas for theme and menu. Meanwhile, we're open to suggestions.
We'd really like to hear from some other Buffalo/WNY peeps. We know you're out there. Perhaps you:
(A) are not interested in this type of event
(B) are afraid of meeting strangers from the internet
(C) don't want to show your ignorance
(D) don't like wine.
If it's A, what's not to like? We provide the venue, make the arrangements, make sure there's a nice meal, don't ask for $, just a bottle of wine and maybe an appetizer or something simple.
B: We used to think that, but we've found that there aren't any strangers in this crazy community, just a bunch of friends we've enjoyed meeting.
C: We all started out ignorant, and we all still are to one degree or another. These tasting events are a terrific way to develop more knowledge and more confidence, while having a good time with friends.
D: Why the HELL are you reading this?
Come out and join us, or at least let us know why not. I mean, we understand schedules make it difficult sometimes, but let us know you're out there, and that it's worth the effort on our part.

Meanwhile, Justin, please post the date on the lead post, so Sparky and/or CJ will get it on the weekly calendar, and people can start making plans.
Cheron, the guest suite at our place hasn't been spoken for.
Tiger, are we going to be popping bubbly to celebrate your success?

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Cheron, the guest suite at our place hasn't been spoken for.

A friend of mine who has family or something in the area may be coming out, but I doubt he'll be joining us for the event. He'll probably just be hitching a ride to and from Buffalo, and he'll probably stay with his people, but I just thought I'd warn you that I *might* have an extra person along.

However, I think I will take you up on that guest suite offer

tiger7610

As for my sucess I'm not sure yet. I will hopefulyl have finished my thesis by that point but its still up in the air if I have defended by that point. I'm still hoping and will know closer to the date.

justinrsanderson

Top thread updated. Hopefully we can get some lurkers to post...

Looking forward to tonight's Shakespeare Feast.

Oh, almost forgot; today is my birthday.

Attendee's:
1. justinrsanderson + 7

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:Top thread updated. Hopefully we can get some lurkers to post...

Looking forward to tonight's Shakespeare Feast.

Oh, almost forgot; today is my birthday.

Attendee's:
1. justinrsanderson + 7

Hope you had a great b-day and enjoyed the Feast.

bahwm

Check out the pics from our Shakespeare in Delaware Park Fabulous Feast Fundraiser Sat. night. If you look closely you will find ddeuddeg and me. Enjoy!

Hey, Justin: You and Katie look great!

justinrsanderson

Everyone at our table had a great time (even those that the Lord reminded were not Sandersons).

Our food was great too. Much better than many similar types of events. We all loved the relaxed, light atmosphere. Normally when we go to these types of things, it feels like work, this was fun.

It also helps that I was able to pick up a double mag of Scott Harvey's '06 Inzin at the silent auction.

Now back to palate training....I will be in Florida from Mar 27-April 4. Not sure about access to the WWW down there.

I think everyone bringing a different type/style/variety/age of wine would be a good idea, to practice our new skillz.

Oh, and whose socks are we smelling?

Lighter

justinrsanderson wrote:

You are all fortunate that I've got a show that night. Dancers dribble socks all over the theater and I have a large basket full of choices . . .

bahwm

justinrsanderson wrote:

I'm sure that I could find some in our lost and found in the gym. Eeeeuuuuwww!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
justinrsanderson wrote:
It also helps that I was able to pick up a double mag of Scott Harvey's '06 Inzin at the silent auction.

If you are willing to share, how much were you able to get it for?

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cheron98

Just because it is so interesting and telling, I'm going to find a Chateauneuf-du-Pape to bring, so we can compare it with the description found in Gary's book of "pigs-in-a-blanket wrapped in a strawberry fruit rollup and sprinkled with black pepper".

Because it's so true.

justinrsanderson

cheron98 wrote:Just because it is so interesting and telling, I'm going to find a Chateauneuf-du-Pape to bring, so we can compare it with the description found in Gary's book of "pigs-in-a-blanket wrapped in a strawberry fruit rollup and sprinkled with black pepper".

Because it's so true.

MMMMM...sounds tasty.

Also proposes a menu idea.

stagelion

quality posts: 0 Private Messages stagelion

So I just saw this post (since life has been so darn hectic for me and I'm sure everyone else). That happens to be the weekend AFTER Evil Dead the Musical closes, so I may be able to make it. Let me check with the significant other and let you know!

stagelion

Lighter wrote:You are all fortunate that I've got a show that night. Dancers dribble socks all over the theater and I have a large basket full of choices . . .

What show?

bahwm

stagelion wrote:So I just saw this post (since life has been so darn hectic for me and I'm sure everyone else). That happens to be the weekend AFTER Evil Dead the Musical closes, so I may be able to make it. Let me check with the significant other and let you know!

That would be excellent if you and your SO could make it!

cheron98

stagelion wrote:So I just saw this post (since life has been so darn hectic for me and I'm sure everyone else). That happens to be the weekend AFTER Evil Dead the Musical closes, so I may be able to make it. Let me check with the significant other and let you know!

I have to ask...

Evil Dead the MUSICAL? How does THAT even work? I'm trying to picture it, and it just does not compute

ddeuddeg

cheron98 wrote:I have to ask...

Evil Dead the MUSICAL? How does THAT even work? I'm trying to picture it, and it just does not compute

You can read about it here.

Lighter

stagelion wrote:What show?

Production manager for dance at SUNY Brockport. Large program - there's always a show, it seems.

stagelion

Lighter wrote:Production manager for dance at SUNY Brockport. Large program - there's always a show, it seems.

Lighter: sounds like it would be a busy job.

Cheron: It's wrong, it's very wrong...and that's why I love doing it!

tiger7610

So I might be interested in going to see it. It sounds hilarious, is it a good production?

justinrsanderson

....edit, reply, what-ev.

First post updated.

Stagelion, hope you can make it!

cheron98

justinrsanderson wrote:...accidental reply...

methinks you meant edit and not reply