Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
clayfu wrote:off vintage yquem (which 2006 is..) can be found regularly for $99-140 (375ml). You might as well invest in ones with age.

I bought a 6 pack of 1998 just 2 months ago from WineExchange for $600.. straight from the chateau and still in the OWC (original wooden case). Also got 3 02's mid last year for $99.

Just did a quick search on wine-searcher pro and turned up quite a bit of dyquem for sub $140 in splits.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/prof/wine-select.lml?Xwinenameid=&Xfromsearch=Y&Xwinename=dyquem&Xvintage=&Xkeyword_mode=A&Xlocation=USA&Xstate=ANY&Xcurrencycode=USD&Xlist_format=N&Xbottle_size=H%2Fbottle+%28375ml%29&Xprice_set=CUR&Xprice_min=&Xprice_max=&searchbutton=++++++Search++++++

Just curious...Where have you found the '06 for $99-$149? I would love to get that source. I have found they have been running much higher than that from primary sources.

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
Krugsters wrote:Just curious...Where have you found the '06 for $99-$149? I would love to get that source. I have found they have been running much higher than that from primary sources.

I should have phrased it better, I don't think it's necessary to buy 06 at the price when you can get older off vintages with 10+ years of age on them for 99-149 dollars.

While the Union Square price is a good price for the wine, the 06 vintage was drastically over-inflated in price due to it being preceded by the epic 05 vintage in Bordeaux.

Krugsters

clayfu wrote:I should have phrased it better, I don't think it's necessary to buy 06 at the price when you can get older off vintages with 10+ years of age on them for 99-149 dollars.

While the Union Square price is a good price for the wine, the 06 vintage was drastically over-inflated in price due to it being preceded by the epic 05 vintage in Bordeaux.

I agree. But it's always sort of like the stock market in playing the blue chip wine game. I got the 2001 early and it turns out lucky I did since the price is sky high now and most likely will not go down since it was such a stellar vintage.

And then there's the '99 which was for a while thought to be the weakest vintage in a long while. Now the price on that is on the rise again. That had dropped so low I was able to get a 750ml for a raffle prize for one of our tastings. iByron won that bottle. Lucky dog.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice

From a WL email today:

We are now taking preorders for some additional 1998 Chateau d'Yquem half bottles that will be arriving to our store sometime in late May/Early June.

Not only did this wine rate 95 Points with Stephen Tanzer, it also has generated 32 tasting notes to date on Cellar Tracker with an average score of 93.8 and a median score of 94 points in 32 notes.

Robert Parker also rated this 95 Points back in 2003, with the following note "Medium to full-bodied, it is not as sweet as the biggest/richest Yquem vintages, but it is gorgeously pure, precise, and strikingly complex. Already approachable, it should evolve for 30-50 years ... without a doubt.". He went back and rerated it 91 Points in 2005 however, did not list any tasting notes.

Price: $129

Z

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Krugsters wrote:I agree. But it's always sort of like the stock market in playing the blue chip wine game. I got the 2001 early and it turns out lucky I did since the price is sky high now and most likely will not go down since it was such a stellar vintage.

And then there's the '99 which was for a while thought to be the weakest vintage in a long while. Now the price on that is on the rise again. That had dropped so low I was able to get a 750ml for a raffle prize for one of our tastings. iByron won that bottle. Lucky dog.

[what's the key combo for the smug smile icon?]

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

BTW, if anyone can find a good price on a 1962 Sauternes (preferably Premier Cru), please let me know.

Yes, I missed out on the Gillettes that were on WineBid this past week.

Thanks,
iByron

Your Private WIneaux

Krugsters

iByron wrote:BTW, if anyone can find a good price on a 1962 Sauternes (preferably Premier Cru), please let me know.

Yes, I missed out on the Gillettes that were on WineBid this past week.

Thanks,
iByron

I assume that's birth year? Pricey year! The last I saw a bottle I think it was Hart or Spectrum auction. Around $250??

How much do you want to go up to in case I see one when I'm at the auctions?

My birth year is affordable and they did not bottle shamer's birth year so we lucked out.

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
Krugsters wrote:I assume that's birth year? Pricey year! The last I saw a bottle I think it was Hart or Spectrum auction. Around $250??

My birth year is affordable and they did not bottle shamer's birth year so we lucked out.

I'm looking for 1974 and 1978 D'Yquem as well for my husband and I. Does winebid charge for shipping? It doesn't mention the charge on it's site, only the auction and insurance fee.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

Krugsters

darlenee1 wrote:I'm looking for 1974 and 1978 D'Yquem as well for my husband and I. Does winebid charge for shipping? It doesn't mention the charge on it's site, only the auction and insurance fee.

Oh, sorry. Sad years. No bottling for '74 and the '78 botrytis was really low for that year but not a terrible bottling.
The '78 you can usually find for a decent price.

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1
Krugsters wrote:Oh, sorry. Sad years. No bottling for '74 and the '78 botrytis was really low for that year but not a terrible bottling.

1974 is my husband, so no great loss. He wouldn't appreciate the gift as much. It's nice having an expert here on the board

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
Krugsters wrote:Oh, sorry. Sad years. No bottling for '74 and the '78 botrytis was really low for that year but not a terrible bottling.

Hmm, looks like my birth year might have been a good one since wine-searcher has them pretty pricey...and only finds full bottles (no half bottles). Cheapest 1975's are $600.

EDIT: Yup...just found a tasting note:
"The 1975 may turn out to be the greatest of the modern-day Yquems. When fully mature in another 25-30 years, it may rival the extraordinary 1937 and 1921. This wine continues to evolve at a stubbornly slow pace. It is far more backward than recent vintages such as 1983 and 1986. Nevertheless, it is awesomely concentrated, has perfect balance, and displays the telltale Yquem aromas of vanillin oak, tropical fruit, pineapples, honeyed peaches, and grilled almonds. There is exceptionally crisp acidity that pulls all of the massive extract into precise focus. This is a wine of astonishing power and finesse, with a finish that must be tasted to be believed. It is a monumental effort that may well justify a perfect score in another decade. Anticipated maturity: 2005-2060." Robert M. Parker, Jr., Bordeaux, 3rd Edition (1998)
(WA, 01/01/1998)

Rating: 99
Drink from: 2005-2060

Dayum! I WANT a bottle of that!!!

(if the whole of wine.woot ever wants to combine funds to buy me a bottle of that, I would be eternally grateful )

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
darlenee1 wrote:I'm looking for 1974 and 1978 D'Yquem as well for my husband and I. Does winebid charge for shipping? It doesn't mention the charge on it's site, only the auction and insurance fee.

They do charge for shipping, and in my experience, it's a high enough charge to begin with, and not so much on additional bottles, that it has been to my advantage to find a couple of other things to bid on, so as to average down the shipping cost per bottle.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Krugsters

HitAnyKey42 wrote:

EDIT: Yup...just found a tasting note:
"The 1975 may turn out to be the greatest of the modern-day Yquems. When fully mature in another 25-30 years, it may rival the extraordinary 1937 and 1921.

The 1937 is my dream wine. By all accounts, best. ever. vintage. Oh, to dream...

Anyone speaking of crazy, wacky ideas and dreams I have another hair brained scheme for a gathering. Pricey but one in a lifetime for most of us.

I love to share. I love to share good wine with good wooters.

So...

12 750 ml bottle vertical of Chateau d'Yquem, one each of: 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999

Perhaps for a Holiday 2010 tasting in NYC.
$130 pp 16 people
$150 pp 14 people
$175 pp 12 people.

Is anyone game (or flush enough!) for this?

I would have to have an idea by 4/22 (before the auction ends).

12 vintages! One afternoon!

nuts.

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
Krugsters wrote:12 vintages! One afternoon!

nuts.

That brings tastings into a whole pricey new level!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

Krugsters

kttest wrote:That brings tastings into a whole pricey new level!

Yeah I know. Sorry. For two people it's a ridiculous price I know.
And I felt guilty about the Mondavi tasting and that was like 50 bucks!

There is a 12 bottle lot up for 2K. If I can win it at that...$166 a bottle. Not including shipping.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
Krugsters wrote:The 1937 is my dream wine. By all accounts, best. ever. vintage. Oh, to dream...

Anyone speaking of crazy, wacky ideas and dreams I have another hair brained scheme for a gathering. Pricey but one in a lifetime for most of us.

So...

12 750 ml bottle vertical of Chateau d'Yquem, one each of: 1983, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999

$130 pp 16 people
$150 pp 14 people
$175 pp 12 people.

nuts.

I would LOVE to do this!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

Krugsters

otolith wrote:I would LOVE to do this!

OK so we have 4 so far.

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
Krugsters wrote:The 1937 is my dream wine. By all accounts, best. ever. vintage. Oh, to dream...

So...

$130 pp 16 people
$150 pp 14 people
$175 pp 12 people.

nuts.

I would be interested if we could attend. Not sure about my wife, but I have a friend that would likely be up to attending.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

Krugsters

polarbear22 wrote:I would be interested if we could attend. Not sure about my wife, but I have a friend that would likely be up to attending.

Mmmmm, now 6.

otolith

Krugsters wrote:OK so we have 4 so far.

Keep in mind the likelihood of me making it to such event while it's in NYC and it's not a short drive for me, are probably highly unlikely.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

Krugsters

otolith wrote:Keep in mind the likelihood of me making it to such event while it's in NYC and it's not a short drive for me, are probably highly unlikely.

oh....

Back down to 5, or is it 4...

It's still nice to fantasize.

otolith

Krugsters wrote:oh....

Back down to 5, or is it 4...

It's still nice to fantasize.

Sorry to be the voice of reason and practicality. Usually leave that up to my wife.

It is nice to dream.

--John Muir

iByron

Krugsters wrote:I assume that's birth year? Pricey year! The last I saw a bottle I think it was Hart or Spectrum auction. Around $250??

Yes, it is. It would not have to be D'Yquem of course, and I'll even forego Premier Cru if the PQR is worth it. The Gilettes sold for less than $150 each on WineBid and most were in very good condition.

If I can stay under $150 definitely. Higher than that, contact me first.

If course if I can score some Moulin Touchais (Coteaux du Layon) that would be equally great, if not better (I really like Chenin Blanc, better in fact than the white Bordeaux blends).

iByron

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

So...

$130 pp 16 people
$150 pp 14 people
$175 pp 12 people.

nuts.

Man... doing big tastings of dessert wine is hard. MASSIVE palate fatigue.. and if you do the ordering of the vintages wrong some of them won't taste like anything due to the heaviness of some of the vintages.

While a great idea in theory, even the most experienced of tasters would have trouble appreciating that much D'yquem in one sitting.

Krugsters

clayfu wrote:Man... doing big tastings of dessert wine is hard. MASSIVE palate fatigue.. and if you do the ordering of the vintages wrong some of them won't taste like anything due to the heaviness of some of the vintages.

While a great idea in theory, even the most experienced of tasters would have trouble appreciating that much D'yquem in one sitting.

I've wanted to do this for a while ever since seeing this: (promise dd-will work on doing the links shortly!

http://www.academiedesvinsanciens.org/archives/1344-a-vertical-tasting-of-28-years-of-Yquem-2003-to-1899.html

I have pictures of the tasting somewhere...will look...

We had a dessert tasting for New York one December. The fatigue wasn't too terrible... but not Yquem of course.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Hart Davis Hart has an auction going on until 12/10 with quite a quantity of d'Yquems. Silent auction, don't get to see other bids... basically you tell them your max, they will proxy-bid for you up to your max on the day of the auction.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

So I was at my local Costco today and found the 750 mL Chateau d'Yquem Bordeaux 2005 Sauternes for $199.97. Don't know much about this wine. Is this a good price? And is this something that needs to be cellared or drink now kind of thing? Took a photo with my cell phone but don't know how to post it.

Edited: When I look at the picture, it looks like a 375 bottle. Now I gotta go back and take a look and maybe have to buy some. Darn it.

cheron98

From the same local wine store that brought us $10 Magnums of 2005 Concannon PS, the new advertisement is:

1990 Chateau d'Yquem
Reg. price: $250
Sale price: $199
Note: 99 pts.

I am asking if these are 375ml or 750ml - would anyone be interested in buying any? I can have them set some aside until I get back in state to pick them up.

CAGrl

cheron98 wrote:From the same local wine store that brought us $10 Magnums of 2005 Concannon PS, the new advertisement is:

1990 Chateau d'Yquem
Reg. price: $250
Sale price: $199
Note: 99 pts.

I am asking if these are 375ml or 750ml - would anyone be interested in buying any? I can have them set some aside until I get back in state to pick them up.

I might be interested. Kinda want to try the 2005 bottle, but I know it's way too early to open it up. So I'd be tempted to try the 1990 bottle to see what it's supposed to taste like.

cheron98

CAGrl wrote:I might be interested. Kinda want to try the 2005 bottle, but I know it's way too early to open it up. So I'd be tempted to try the 1990 bottle to see what it's supposed to taste like.

Eh, it's moot anyway Got a response back from them - it's the 375ml, they only had one in stock, and someone already bought it.

Sadness.

CAGrl

cheron98 wrote:Eh, it's moot anyway Got a response back from them - it's the 375ml, they only had one in stock, and someone already bought it.

Sadness.

Total sadness. Oh well. Maybe next time we'll be so lucky.

tenuki

quality posts: 7 Private Messages tenuki
cheron98 wrote:Eh, it's moot anyway Got a response back from them - it's the 375ml, they only had one in stock, and someone already bought it.

Sadness.

Do they still tell stories about the crazy lady who came out of nowhere and loaded up on magnums of PS?

CT

sukeiasa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages sukeiasa

hmm... bringing back up an older thread...
so pretty much any vintage of d'yquem for about $150 for the 375 is a good deal? would that hold true for finding the 750ml for under $300?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5 NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

iByron

sukeiasa wrote:hmm... bringing back up an older thread...
so pretty much any vintage of d'yquem for about $150 for the 375 is a good deal? would that hold true for finding the 750ml for under $300?

No. Value will vary by vintage. Greatly.

1990 can be about $400/750ml
1991 just over $200/750ml

However, there is no bad vintage of D'Yquem. They only make it when the result will maintain their reputation.

iBYron

Your Private WIneaux

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

This thread has been hibernating for a while. . . . here is an article mentioning the decision not to have a 2012 vintage.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2012/12/no-yquem-in-2012

I hope I get to sample one of these great wines sometime.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus

I was going to buy for my daughtr's birth year. And this year sucks for BDX also. Vintage Porto FTW? Maybe a Kronos?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen