quality posts: 1652 Private Messages Cesare

G Debbas Chocolate Valentines Truffles
$24.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Romantic
Products:
1 Twelve Piece G Dabbas Signature Truffles
1 Thirteen Piece Heart Shaped Truffles

Product website

This ships to all states and you don't have to be 21 to order.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

duckcake

quality posts: 44 Private Messages duckcake

Will I get these by Valentines Day?

Hi people =þ

quantamm

quality posts: 85 Private Messages quantamm

Vegan? Vegetarian? Lactose-free? Gluten-free?

Catbertthegreat

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Catbertthegreat

duckcake

wootchawant

quality posts: 67 Private Messages wootchawant

the flavors on the non-heart box sound very intriguing...i'm going to woot one and see what happens!

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

Catbertthegreat

quantamm wrote:Vegan? Vegetarian? Lactose-free? Gluten-free?

Only the ones that are lactose free are the dark chocolate bonbons as technically dark chocolate should be be made only from the cocoa bean with only a little bit of vanilla added.

Chocolate is also gluten free and the filling should also be vegetarian, but I do not know about being vegan.

wootchawant

Catbertthegreat wrote:I do not know the quality or taste of these chocolates, but they probably are not as good as these:
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/e9f59a29-912f-4714-94f4-b28b9baad388/a-valentines-treat-16-piece-box-of-assorted-chocolate-bonbons-from-chuao-choco#0

or any thing by http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

there are three or four offerings from vosges that i consider unparalleled, but for the most part, i really don't like the aftertaste of katrina's chocolate--the chocolate toffee products were especially disappointing.

so wootchawootchawootchawant?! you're so funny with that money that you flaunt...

Catbertthegreat

duckcake wrote:Or anything by http://www.fanniemay.com/

No fanny may is too waxy for my tastes.

adjohns6

quality posts: 3 Private Messages adjohns6

Can't speak for the heart shaped box, but the regular says 4 ounces. For perspective, a Lindt Lindor truffle pack is a little over 5 ounces and cost just under $3. So I guess it depends how good these are as to whether this is a good buy...

• Linksys Dual Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter
  • Woot-Off Lights & USB Missile Launcher
  • HP 640×480 Webcam
  • BACtrack Select S50 Breathalyzer
  • PowerSquid - 2 Pack x3
  • Pinnacle PCTV HD Mini Stick

mrgms

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mrgms
duckcake wrote:Will I get these by Valentines Day?

Yes! Delivery will be by Valentines Day.

BTSB George

draigun

quality posts: 23 Private Messages draigun

Do you actually have to be 21 to buy/receive these like the Buy page says or am I missing something? Also, is APO/FPO shipping allowed?

NV

quality posts: 8 Private Messages NV

mmmm chocolatey goodness
I must test a box for me
then one for thee
then one more for me, just to be safe!

Therefore in for 3! Yeah for me and thee!

duckcake

Catbertthegreat wrote:No fanny may is too waxy for my tastes.

Really? So you live in the Chicago land area too because thats the only place they sell them, and i doubt you've been to their website to order them.

Hi people =þ

Thiney49

quality posts: 3 Private Messages Thiney49

I can't comment exactly on these truffles, but I did buy the wine filled truffles woot offered before Christmas and I can attest that they were rather delicious and I'd suggest picking these up if you have a truffle lover to buy for.

Catbertthegreat

Catbertthegreat wrote:I do not know the quality or taste of these chocolates, but they probably are not as good as these:
http://deals.woot.com/deals/details/e9f59a29-912f-4714-94f4-b28b9baad388/a-valentines-treat-16-piece-box-of-assorted-chocolate-bonbons-from-chuao-choco#0

or any thing by http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/

Vosges is great everybody, that is why I recommended them, however I have found that all those wonderful and expensive sounding flavors they have are mainly lost in the flavor of the chocolate and the chocolate ganache filling.

SailorButterfly

quality posts: 14 Private Messages SailorButterfly

Oh yeah, Wooting these for Valentine's Day. Heart-shaped ones for the hubby and the interestingly flavored ones for me. Can't wait! :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The "Most Awesome Butterfly-Sailor Hybrid on Woot"

SilverStar830

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SilverStar830

I've had Guy Debbas' chocolates several times over the years. My mother used to buy the wine-filled chocolates and some of his other chocolates every holiday season.

His various chocolates and chocolate truffles are... awesome.

On a side note, here's a brief summary of his story from his website. Mr. Debbas has been through much, and I wish him much success in his endeavors.

http://gdebbas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82:for-fresno-chocolate-maker-a-sweet-comeback&catid=3:newsflash&Itemid=98

Catbertthegreat

duckcake wrote:Really? So you live in the Chicago land area too because thats the only place they sell them, and i doubt you've been to their website to order them.

No I live in Southern California, and yes I've had fanny may people have given them to me and I equate them to See's candies.

Gatzby

quality posts: 43 Private Messages Gatzby
duckcake wrote:Really? So you live in the Chicago land area too because thats the only place they sell them, and i doubt you've been to their website to order them.

The are locations outside of Chicago. Ohio has a number, for example.

Did you know shirt.woot ships internationally? Get you some!
Why do my posts always get deleted? -- Noise Reduction -- Try it in podcast format.
No, you can't have our iPod, keys, or Lego. Sorry.

Catbertthegreat

SilverStar830 wrote:I've had Guy Debbas' chocolates several times over the years. My mother used to buy the wine-filled chocolates and some of his other chocolates every holiday season.

His various chocolates and chocolate truffles are... awesome.

On a side note, here's a brief summary of his story from his website. Mr. Debbas has been through much, and I wish him much success in his endeavors.

http://gdebbas.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=82:for-fresno-chocolate-maker-a-sweet-comeback&catid=3:newsflash&Itemid=98

After seeing the site, I'm in for one.

fairnymph

quality posts: 55 Private Messages fairnymph

Are these hydrogenated? Can we see an ingredient list?

I'm always really wary of buying any food products that don't list the ingredients up front. It makes me think there's something to hide. I couldn't find anything on the website, either.

I was so bummed, btw, to receive my bacon salt and find out it contains hydrogenated oils. Woot should avoid selling trans-fat containing products considering the stuff's immense toxicity.

That said, I probably wouldn't jump on these even if they were trans-fat-free, because I dislike milk chocolate the flavours sound pedestrian at best, cheap at worst.

I'm spoiled by Vosges and my latest favourite chocolatier - Socola.

My Cellar * Read my ramblings on LiveJournal.

79 wine.woots, 42 shirt.woots, 18 woots, 3 sellout.woots, 1 kids.woot

"I like my Sirah like I like my women: young, Petite and inky." - Thralow on CT

fairnymph

wootchawant wrote:there are three or four offerings from vosges that i consider unparalleled, but for the most part, i really don't like the aftertaste of katrina's chocolate--the chocolate toffee products were especially disappointing.

I have to agree. I love the fillings and the variety and general creativity, and the caramels and toffees are to die for, but the actual chocolate itself is not my fave.

Although....I had a sugar-free Barcelona Bar (sea salt and smoked almonds) in milk chocolate (gasp! yes, I know I said I don't like it, but Vosges is dark enough that I will) and it was outstanding. I'm guessing it's the salt. Salt and chocolate is such a fantastic combination.

Since I'm now obsessed with special salts (ever since that artisan salt offering which led me to a site that sells a set of 24 different little salts), I've considered make a ton of truffles or caramels flavoured with 20 different types of salt, to compare how they do in sweets.

Catbertthegreat

fairnymph wrote:Are these hydrogenated? Can we see an ingredient list?

I'm always really wary of buying any food products that don't list the ingredients up front. It makes me think there's something to hide. I couldn't find anything on the website, either.

I was so bummed, btw, to receive my bacon salt and find out it contains hydrogenated oils. Woot should avoid selling trans-fat containing products considering the stuff's immense toxicity.

That said, I probably wouldn't jump on these even if they were trans-fat-free, because I dislike milk chocolate the flavours sound pedestrian at best, cheap at worst.

I'm spoiled by Vosges and my latest favourite chocalatier - Socola.

This should be on par with quality of Socola's even though I haven't tried them.

No hydrogenated oils, but wasn't it kind of obvious bacon salt was made with chemicals if it is vegan and kosher and contains no real bacon. The flavor has to come from something.

Actually the flavors are above standard, available in the top tier Godiva Chocolates

The heart shaped box is where the cheap stuff is.

duckcake

Gatzby wrote:The are locations outside of Chicago. Ohio has a number, for example.

Yes there are some in Ohio too, and some other surrounding states like Wisconsin. Sorry my mistake.

Hi people =þ

wootchawant

fairnymph wrote:I have to agree. I love the fillings and the variety and general creativity, and the caramels and toffees are to die for, but the actual chocolate itself is not my fave.

Although....I had a sugar-free Barcelona Bar (sea salt and smoked almonds) in milk chocolate (gasp! yes, I know I said I don't like it, but Vosges is dark enough that I will) and it was outstanding. I'm guessing it's the salt. Salt and chocolate is such a fantastic combination.

Since I'm now obsessed with special salts (ever since that artisan salt offering which led me to a site that sells a set of 24 different little salts), I've considered make a ton of truffles or caramels flavoured with 20 different types of salt, to compare how they do in sweets.

the barcelona bar is one of the better ones. and i do have to say that vosges' white chocolate truffles are delicious--the christmas truffle offering this year was also great.

wootchawant

i found a link to the ingredient list for a different g debbas chocolate product that may be an indication of the types of ingredients one could expect. the g debbas website does note that the creator proactively uses only natural ingredients, so hopefully, the truffles in the woot sets are similar in simplicity...

SilverStar830

quality posts: 10 Private Messages SilverStar830

Oh yeah. I forgot to add in my earlier post that I gifted one to Mom for Valentines Day... blast from the past!

I know she'll love em and she'll get a kick out of having them again after all these years even though it's not necessarily the holidays anymore.

fairnymph

Catbertthegreat wrote:This should be on par with quality of Socola's even though I haven't tried them.

No hydrogenated oils, but wasn't it kind of obvious bacon salt was made with chemicals if it is vegan and kosher and contains no real bacon. The flavor has to come from something.

Actually the flavors are above standard, available in the top tier Godiva Chocolates

The heart shaped box is where the cheap stuff is.

How do you know they aren't hydrogenated?

Well, I did assume the bacon salt was unlikely to be 'all-natural', but hydrogenated oil doesn't impart flavour os it's not necessary.

Godiva's chocolates (at least many of them) ARE hydrogenated and IMO Godiva makes poor-quality, overpriced, over-hyped products.

I don't love any mass-produced chocolate, though Lindt is the least bad IMO.

Socola makes the best bonbons/truffles I have ever tasted. And they use organic Strauss dairy and really high quality, truly all natural ingredients.

Charles' Chocolates is also really good though I have trouble finding it out here - I had this dark chocolate, cherry, and sea salt roasted pecan bar that was probably the best chocolate bar I've ever eaten.

ETA: I went over to check out your link to the chocolates on deal.woot and I'm wondering if you know how random the assortment is? I posted a comment there.

shortman

quality posts: 58 Private Messages shortman

I had a box of his signature truffles(different flavor selection) a few years ago from a woot side deal before wine.woot existed. After tasting the centers I regretted that I had purchased only one box. I've resisted these for the last 30 minutes while trying to help my wallet. But my resistance has now faded and I will be placing an order for a few this time.

I'm indifferent regarding the outer chocolate.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

"Each box of hand crafted chocolate truffles includes a map to find each of these flavors"

Thank goodness! I hate having to guess what flavor is where. Unless you have only one flavor of chocolate, and magic secret decoder is a requirement!

Catbertthegreat

fairnymph wrote:How do you know they aren't hydrogenated?

Well, I did assume the bacon salt was unlikely to be 'all-natural', but hydrogenated oil doesn't impart flavour os it's not necessary.

Godiva's chocolates (at least many of them) ARE hydrogenated and IMO Godiva makes poor-quality, overpriced, over-hyped products.

I don't love any mass-produced chocolate, though Lindt is the least bad IMO.

Socola makes the best bonbons/truffles I have ever tasted. And they use organic Strauss dairy and really high quality, truly all natural ingredients.

Charles' Chocolates is also really good though I have trouble finding it out here - I had this dark chocolate, cherry, and sea salt roasted pecan bar that was probably the best chocolate bar I've ever eaten.

ETA: I went over to check out your link to the chocolates on deal.woot and I'm wondering if you know how random the assortment is? I posted a comment there.

Godiva makes a line called the G collection. It is really good but not worth what they charge for it. They have a regular and then an American Pie flavor set. That is what I refer to as their top tier and some of the flavors here are similar. It is probably made with hydrogenated oils too, but I never really care about that sort of thing or organic for that matter.

Chuao isn't made with hydrogenated oils, I went to one of their chocolate making classes, so I know how they make their chocolates.

I also answered your question on deals.

aldo014

quality posts: 0 Private Messages aldo014

If I am not mistaken this is only $20 on the G Debbas website, take a look for yourself:

http://gdebbas.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=7&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=84&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=99

alien88

quality posts: 18 Private Messages alien88

Anyone else notice the image for the G Debbas truffles box says '11 pieces'?

wooters.us - scoring more bags of Koi for you than others.

Catbertthegreat

alien88 wrote:Anyone else notice the image for the G Debbas truffles box says '11 pieces'?

It is twelve, the funny font they use and the image size makes the 2 look like a 1.

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650
fairnymph wrote:Are these hydrogenated? Can we see an ingredient list?

I'm spoiled by Vosges and my latest favourite chocolatier - Socola.

I feel the same way, I'd like to see ingredient lists as well.

xnmypinkrealityx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages xnmypinkrealityx

Hey I used to work this chocolate co. when I was like 18. Crazy

Nate650

quality posts: 31 Private Messages Nate650
wootchawant wrote:i found a link to the ingredient list for a different g debbas chocolate product that may be an indication of the types of ingredients one could expect. the g debbas website does note that the creator proactively uses only natural ingredients, so hopefully, the truffles in the woot sets are similar in simplicity...

Thanks, that's a good sign. If we use that as a baseline it's a pretty impressive list in this world of refined industrial junk.

prosperouscheat

quality posts: 41 Private Messages prosperouscheat
SilverStar830 wrote:Oh yeah. I forgot to add in my earlier post that I gifted one to Mom for Valentines Day...

Being from the UK where we only really send valentines cards and gifts to people we're actually romantically interested in - this just seems wrong.