Winery Website

Previous Offers:
7/28/2008: Blog and Forum

Clif Wine on Facebook
Clif Wine on Twitter

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Corrado

quality posts: 133 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Clif Family Winery The Climber Four - Pack
$39.99 * + $7.00 shipping
Condition: White
Product:
4 2007 The Climber

CT link above. 1 review (88 points) summarized with, "Will basically go with everything."

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

lurcher

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lurcher

Aww. - I was hoping for a horizontal....

Corrado

quality posts: 133 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

lurcher wrote:Aww. - I was hoping for a horizontal....

Drink all four bottles in one evening.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

mreed911

quality posts: 1 Private Messages mreed911

Finally, one I can be out on. Fellow wooters, enjoy if you like, but this doesn't interest me in the slightest. My wallet should love it.

Been there, sucked that, got the bad taste in my mouth to prove it. -- Woot
http://www.woot.com/Blog/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryId=4737

kylemittskus

quality posts: 259 Private Messages kylemittskus

Clif Cats:

What's the RS on this? Will we taste it with the very small amount of Muscat?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

spdrcr05

quality posts: 30 Private Messages spdrcr05

Tempting as I really enjoyed the Clif reds... but I'm SO not a Sauv Blanc kind of guy. Anybody from NoVa/DC wanna go half-sies? As I'm on still on my roadtrip, if you do can you "wootleg" my 2? Let me know.

SR

In periods of profound change, the most dangerous thing is to incrementalize yourself into the future -- Thomas Edision

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity

Sauv Blanc is one of my favorite whites, and this blend sounds interesting.

kylemittskus

sanity wrote:Sauv Blanc is one of my favorite whites, and this blend sounds interesting.

And you gots to bees first sucker two!

Edelfaeule

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Edelfaeule

Of course, the real question remains: Are the grapes from a biodynamically-farmed vineyard?

You know what they say... everybody's a comedian.

sosptuba

quality posts: 13 Private Messages sosptuba

I'm in for one, looking forward to it!

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

To go for the obvious bad pun: "I need help to be pushed off the cliff", to go in for one.

There isn't any mention of possible oak treatment in the description. Sarah, as the winemaker can you confirm lack of oak in aging/fermentation?

It seems like a fruit forward wine, I just don't want to feel like I'm chewing on a stick while sucking on a grapefruit.

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

sanity

jwink wrote:To go for the obvious bad pun: "I need help to be pushed off the cliff", to go in for one.

There isn't any mention of possible oak treatment in the description. Sarah, as the winemaker can you confirm lack of oak in aging/fermentation?

It seems like a fruit forward wine, I just don't want to feel like I'm chewing on a stick while sucking on a grapefruit.

I'm looking forward to the winemaker chiming in. From their site:
"100% stainless steel fermentation and lack of malolactic fermentation..."

kylemittskus

sanity wrote:I'm looking forward to the winemaker chiming in. From their site:
"100% stainless steel fermentation and lack of malolactic fermentation..."

You have to love that!

sanity

kylemittskus wrote:You have to love that!

My hope is that this wine will have the classic taste of the varietal from which it's made, with a fun little twist from the added Pinot Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Muscat.

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

This could make a lovely wine for picnicing - esp. with SauvBlanc's normal acidity.

And on that note - why not picnic with your fellow wine.wooters?

~~~ We interrupt this thread for a Public Service Announcement: ~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…The Early Edition for the week of August 16
Visit our Wine.Woot Event Calendar on Google Calendar!

August
8/22:SoCal Get Together: joannevicious is visiting
8/ 29: NorCal/Bay Area #2: End of Summer BBQ
TBD: Chicago #12: Pairing with Indian Food

September
TBD: NoVA/DC #15: TBD Theme
TBD: NYC #13: Catskills Pig Roast & Toast

October
10/3: Buffalo/WNY #2: Before the Snow Flies
10/3: SoCal #12: Otolith Visits San Diego
10/16-19: SoCal #14: Vegas Satellite Edition: Making our first CyberPub Cellars Wine!

Looking for some helping hands:

~~~We now return you to your regularly scheduled wine thread.~~~

DiveDog1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DiveDog1

Good morning! Just joined this weekend after talking to another Wooter and am excited to try this wine. May be a bit sweet for me, but I'm always willing to try something new. =)

dianefreda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages dianefreda
sanity wrote:Sauv Blanc is one of my favorite whites, and this blend sounds interesting.

I'm with you SB is my favorite white and this does sound interesting. Good price point too. Sounds crisp and refreshing.

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

Chalk me up for a single set. Opened a bottle of my Etude Semillon last night and the whole cork was wet! I hope the last bottle I have does not have the same problem. Think I will cut the foil back and check.

ps-having MacCallum flashbacks in Austin! eekk!!

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Sounds like a very tasty mix - totally intrigued by the Pinot Blanc and how that will affect things. It's hot as hell out today, and I'd love to labrat and find out sooner rather than later!

Woot wrote: Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: sanity
Speed to first woot: 0m 22.920s
Last wooter to woot: rmm989
CT

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
DiveDog1 wrote:Good morning! Just joined this weekend after talking to another Wooter and am excited to try this wine. May be a bit sweet for me, but I'm always willing to try something new. =)

Welcome, that's the great thing about this place, twice a week you can get something new!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
rmm989 wrote:Sounds like a very tasty mix - totally intrigued by the Pinot Blanc and how that will affect things. It's hot as hell out today, and I'd love to labrat and find out sooner rather than later!

This is what I like, labrat with a reason to rat. If you promise to drink this on your porch/deck tomorrow if ratted I will throw my vote in for you to rat since we think of white's as hot weather wines. Keep in mind my vote means nada, it's a camaraderie thing

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

yellowroe

quality posts: 6 Private Messages yellowroe

Was looking for a red today but decided on ordering this. I like Clif and sometimes even a Souv. Blanc. Sounds interesting. Could be a rat too.

fulkerb

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fulkerb

Mrs. Fulkerb is very excited about this week's offering and would like to experience the wonder that is 'ratting.

I'm holding out for some more tasty cabs....

waffle

quality posts: 5 Private Messages waffle

A positive ratting could swing me on this one.

sanity

DiveDog1 wrote:Good morning! Just joined this weekend after talking to another Wooter and am excited to try this wine. May be a bit sweet for me, but I'm always willing to try something new. =)

Welcome! With the muscat at only 3%, I doubt this wine will taste too sweet. It will be interesting to find out how fruity it does taste, from the write up. I'm looking forward to hearing from the winemaker what foods she suggests to pair with this wine, though it sounds like it will be a pleasant sipper on its own. An artichoke is one of my all-time favorite pairings with a Sauvignon Blanc.

darlenee1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darlenee1

This wine was in Food and Wine magazine this month.
California Top Wines for $15 or Less.
I'm probably going to be in on this one, almost out of Triacipedis.

Be the change you want to see in the world

darlenee1

quality posts: 8 Private Messages darlenee1

Welcome to woot! Besides the wine forum, there's a very active cyberpub under world of woot wine, and, depending on where you live, many woot gatherings!

Be the change you want to see in the world

clifwinelinzi

quality posts: 6 Private Messages clifwinelinzi

Good morning wooters! I'm Linzi the general manager at Clif Family Winery. Gary and I will be checking in over the next few days to answer questions and join the conversation. Our winemaker, Sarah Gott, is on vacation but she's standing by to answer any questions you have about the wines...I'll be channeling her this week so if you have a question for her, look for the response from me.

We're really excited to offer you our 2007 Climber White this week. It's a blend of Sarah's favorite varietals - predominately Sauv Blanc (a varietal that Sarah certainly masters) with a little Pinot Blanc to add some flesh to the wine. Some Chenin Blanc contributes to the acidity. The touch of Muscat adds some tropical fruit sweetness (but definitely not overpowering) and some richness in the mouth. This wine sees no oak - 100% stainless steel fermentation.

The Sauv Blanc predominately comes from a CCOF certified vineyard in Mendocino County called Hillside Vineyards while the Pinot Blanc comes from an organically farmed Napa Valley vineyard.

Looking forward to a fun few days!

clifwinelinzi

kylemittskus wrote:Clif Cats:

What's the RS on this? Will we taste it with the very small amount of Muscat?

The RS is .38 - it's definitely not a sweet wine. The Muscat just adds some great tropical fruit flavor and terpene aromas to the wine.

clifwinelinzi

sanity wrote:Welcome! With the muscat at only 3%, I doubt this wine will taste too sweet. It will be interesting to find out how fruity it does taste, from the write up. I'm looking forward to hearing from the winemaker what foods she suggests to pair with this wine, though it sounds like it will be a pleasant sipper on its own. An artichoke is one of my all-time favorite pairings with a Sauvignon Blanc.

This wine is such a great food wine. Choose something that highlights the acidity in the wine. Some suggestions...
any white fish with citrus marinade
shrimp
spicy thai food (this one is Sarah's favorite)
sushi
light pastas

gcdyersb

quality posts: 142 Private Messages gcdyersb
Edelfaeule wrote:Of course, the real question remains: Are the grapes from a biodynamically-farmed vineyard?

You know what they say... everybody's a comedian.

Booooo!!!! Rotten tomatoes for you!!!

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 142 Private Messages gcdyersb
clifwinelinzi wrote:The RS is .38 - it's definitely not a sweet wine. The Muscat just adds some great tropical fruit flavor and terpene aromas to the wine.

What's not to like? Moderate alcohol, low RS, and $12 per bottle with shipping. Looks like a winner.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

lurcher

quality posts: 9 Private Messages lurcher
Corrado wrote:Drink all four bottles in one evening.

Then I would be horizontal :-)

wildaboutmn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wildaboutmn

Lurker decloaking to comment not on the wine, but the literary reference. Has it changed to "Gatzby" because the original is spelled too British for Woot tastes? ;)

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
gcdyersb wrote:What's not to like? Moderate alcohol, low RS, and $12 per bottle with shipping. Looks like a winner.

Under $11, if you're in for 2.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg
sanity wrote:Welcome! With the muscat at only 3%, I doubt this wine will taste too sweet. It will be interesting to find out how fruity it does taste, from the write up. I'm looking forward to hearing from the winemaker what foods she suggests to pair with this wine, though it sounds like it will be a pleasant sipper on its own. An artichoke is one of my all-time favorite pairings with a Sauvignon Blanc.

Unless I'm mistaken, the mere presence of muscat at any % level wouldn't necessarily mean sweetness. Although muscat wines are generally made with some significant residual sugar, couldn't they be fermented to totally dry, even though that might not be not be desirable?

By now, the winemaker has responded with food pairings, and they're all things I like, testing my SIWBM.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

paryb

quality posts: 19 Private Messages paryb
ddeuddeg wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the mere presence of muscat at any % level wouldn't necessarily mean sweetness. Although muscat wines are generally made with some significant residual sugar, couldn't they be fermented to totally dry, even though that might not be not be desirable?

This.

One of the best white wines I've ever had ever was a dry Gewurztraminer. This looks pretty interesting, I'm thinking about it.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

clifwinelinzi

Here's some 3rd party write-ups and mentions of our 2007 Climber White I thought you may want to take a look at:

Sunset Mag - Favorite crips spring whites by Sarah Schneider
http://www.sunset.com/food-wine/wine-pairings/12-crisp-spring-whites-00400000043141/

Southern Living-"I can sip this all day" http://eatingmywords.southernliving.com/eating_my_words/2008/08/scotts-pick-the.html

Good Wine Under $20
http://goodwineunder20.blogspot.com/2008/10/wine-blogging-wednesday-50-wine-and.html

It was also a Best of Class, Gold Medal winner at the 2008 Los Angeles International Wine Competition.