Quality Posts

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

2005 NAPA Valley Front Porch Merlot
$33.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Red
Product: 1 C & T Cellars 2005 Front Porch Merlot 3 Pack

Link to CT above (CT price per bottle: $15+, no reviews).

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Cesare

quality posts: 1652 Private Messages Cesare

Winery Website

Previous Offers:
8/19/2007: Blog and Forum
5/25/2009: Blog and Forum

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

Corrosive

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Corrosive

Price seems good... Lets see some reviews.

Honestly not a Merlot fan though...

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

How good is this deal?

From the back yard to the front porch ... what an easy drinking (and sweet dealin') week.

Click the link above for all of the normal details.

CT | | | | | |

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

You said yesterday that your merlot (I assume this one) drinks like a cab. Can you explain that comment a bit more for me?

Also, is this a bordeaux style or a fruit-forward style merlot?

I'm loving the price point.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

So does the Merlot source from different appellations, or is the Merlot from one and the Cabernet Sauvignon from the other?

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

Trent, congrats on the chard sellout. Can you share the "story behind the story" for what appears to be two or three wines blended for this final product. Maybe a good story about the "deal" you made to make it happen as well?

PS-Geography (distance) will make it difficult to be on the same golf course...how did round two go?

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

yumitori

jwhite6114 wrote:
How good is this deal?

Someone's on the ball tonight...

jwhite6114

yumitori wrote:Someone's on the ball tonight...

Trent kinda gave us a good lead, and most of the extra details did not have to change.

CT | | | | | |

yumitori

Corrosive wrote:
Honestly not a Merlot fan though...

Uh huh...

... if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any baking Merlot!

Setting aside one's prejudices is one of the great things about Wine.Woot! It's entirely possible to find Merlots that drink like shining examples of the varietal, and ones that drink like .... Cab Sauvs, wasn't it?

I'm glad you're keeping an open mind; I suspect this is some serious Quality vs. Price...

vwap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vwap
kylemittskus wrote:You said yesterday that your merlot (I assume this one) drinks like a cab. Can you explain that comment a bit more for me?

Also, is this a bordeaux style or a fruit-forward style merlot?

I'm loving the price point.

Based on the tasting notes on the C&T site, sounds like it's fruit-forward:

"The 2005 Front Porch Merlot is very dark in color and has a fabulous merlot aroma of chocolate, coffee, blackberry and hints of vanilla. On the palate the wine is big and rich with nicely balanced tannins. The wine is fruit driven with lots of blackberry and black cheery flavors, on the mid palate and finish, the wine show nice spice, mocha and mouth watering acidity. - Trent Moffett"

highaltitudehigh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages highaltitudehigh

Sounds yummy.
I'm in!

edwinguz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages edwinguz
vwap wrote:Based on the tasting notes on the C&T site, sounds like it's fruit-forward:

"The 2005 Front Porch Merlot is very dark in color and has a fabulous merlot aroma of chocolate, coffee, blackberry and hints of vanilla. On the palate the wine is big and rich with nicely balanced tannins. The wine is fruit driven with lots of blackberry and black cheery flavors, on the mid palate and finish, the wine show nice spice, mocha and mouth watering acidity. - Trent Moffett"

This sounds very good and I'm very tempted based on these notes, but this is the owner of the winery speaking. I want to hear from some more objective critic.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
vwap wrote: blahblahblah I'm drooling now

I don't usually like merlot although I haven't paid enough attention to articulate why. However, at the price point and based on the tasting notes, I may be in. Napa grapes, $13 a bottle shipped, really cool owner, pressure from fellow enabl... I mean wooters...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb

Trent-

Could you comment on the oak regimen for the components in this wine? Age of barrels, time in barrels, cooperage, etc. roughly estimating where needed. I'd like to know if the aromatics and flavors are more heavily oak influenced or if it's more about the fruit expression.

Are there any chemistry numbers you can provide (pH, ABV, TA)?

How do Oak Knoll and St. Helena differ? Are they cool, hot, or somewhere in-between?

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

vwap

edwinguz wrote:This sounds very good and I'm very tempted based on these notes, but this is the owner of the winery speaking. I want to hear from some more objective critic.

Hopefully the rats'll have a chance to report back this time!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

yumitori wrote:Setting aside one's prejudices is one of the great things about Wine.Woot! It's entirely possible to find Merlots that drink like shining examples of the varietal, and ones that drink like .... Cab Sauvs, wasn't it?

I'm glad you're keeping an open mind; I suspect this is some serious Quality vs. Price...

very confident in this one that we doubled up on the Chard rats and included a Merlot in their package AND will have 3 more rats. Want this one to be widely tasted. I will let Trent go into more detail, but i have heard about this deal from very early on.

It almost became a woot cellars til i got cold feet about a pure Merlot play and Trent sold like 2,000 cases after winning a blind taste contest with Stanford Alumni association (oops, was i not suppose to divulge?).

If you look at the timing, the wine was secured during the hey day of the "Sideway's witch trials". Some very good Merlot floating around for rediculous per gallon pricing.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

In for 1! I hope to be lab rat for the first time! Im Ready!

Edit: I see WD's post above and looks like he included 3 bottles in the six labbie's on Tues. Maybe next time unless you got more WD?

auditor55

quality posts: 4 Private Messages auditor55

Well I read the description to SWMBO, as well as provided the background info on negociants, and she gave me the green light! We are in for 1, wine is good medicine after all.

This is the first time (~5 wine woots in) that I have been able to commit early enough to be considered for rat duty. So please consider my request, WD. I'll go to the local farmer's market Friday morning and hope for the best!

vwap

kylemittskus wrote:I don't usually like merlot although I haven't paid enough attention to articulate why. However, at the price point and based on the tasting notes, I may be in. Napa grapes, $12.50 a bottle shipped, really cool owner, pressure from fellow enabl... I mean wooters...

That's pretty much my rationale. I think a couple posters nailed it in the Chard forums regarding the sellout, that the price point played a huge amount, and I think it certainly did.

Being such a wine n00b, I can pick up what's likely (though obviously not guaranteed) going to be a great $13 Merlot off Wine.Woot, or just as easily head down to the grocery store and pick up a random bottle of Merlot for that same $13, and have a terrible bottle of juice (though it could just as easily be a great bottle). At least here, with the forum, I can read about what others' experiences are with that particular wine, and compare with what I taste, and maybe learn something along the way!

vwap

Winedavid39 wrote:very confident in this one that we doubled up on the Chard rats and included a Merlot in their package AND will have 3 more rats.

Very cool! Love the preparation on the last couple Woots, with the Merlot being sent early, decanters being sent with the Cabs and those gadgets.. It's like you're trying to get us to click that ridiculously large button or something...

Riesling18

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Riesling18

Ok, I've bought the cab from the Woot Off, the Russian River Chard, and now one of this merlot. Ok, CT, you'd better be great, as I've tasted none of your wines yet and am going off your sight and comments. Sigh.... Love the fruit forward reds, and drinks like a cab implies full, rich, possibly oaky flavor, instead of watered down red that merlots can seem to be after drinking reds over time. Shame on you, Woot, for enabling my addiction! ;}

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
Winedavid39 wrote:(oops, was i not suppose to divulge?).

If you are going to be channeling Hagrid from the Harry Potter films as a vacation from Princess Bride, I think the phrase is closer to "I shouldn't of said that - should not have said that." (But that would be a stretch, because Hagrid is tall and you're... WineDavid.)

If you look at the timing, the wine was secured during the hey day of the "Sideway's witch trials". Some very good Merlot floating around for rediculous per gallon pricing.

Okay, Merlot is a favorite varietal of mine. But I still need to be sold. As a blast from the past, how would this wine compare to the St. Supery that was on woot way back when? I still have fond memories of that.

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

...de de didee didee didee... we interupt this important thread to bring you a public service announcement....

Last chance to get in on Colorado Wine.Woot #3 Come join the fun!

.... we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

/shameless plug

curkendall

quality posts: 1 Private Messages curkendall

Would I be a bad person if I were to cook with this wine? I would be curious to hear from any vintners what they think about people cooking with their wines.

jnc

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jnc

You had me at Merlot. In for 3.

denise4080

quality posts: 1 Private Messages denise4080

First sucker: vwap
Speed to first woot: 0m -20.-803s
Last wooter to woot: denise4080

bowmandk

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bowmandk
Winedavid39 wrote:
If you look at the timing, the wine was secured during the hey day of the "Sideway's witch trials".

... if anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am NOT drinking any baking Merlot!

The trends in wine snobbery are absolutely ridiculous sometimes. I bet you wouldn't see any of these people turn down a glass of Chateau Petrus if you offered to share. In for 1.

sandtrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages sandtrap

Ready to labrat. My wife is a serious merlot fan. Please bless her with this fruit. She will be home with a sick child and will be able to give a detailed day long commentary.

gwpriester

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gwpriester

Er, the Napa Valley on the label should answer your question about different appellations, no?

rmm989

quality posts: 26 Private Messages rmm989

Dear woot:

Please stop with the good offerings. My cc can't handle it anymore. I have too much on the way already.

Had to break the WBM for it - in for 1. I used to be "oh I'm not a merlot fan" but have had some amazing ones lately that have made the scales fall from my eyes. Don't blame the grapes, blame the winemakers (side note - syrah is the new merlot)

Would love to labrat

CT

artulo

quality posts: 13 Private Messages artulo

Checking in from staycation to purchase this one as well! Looks promising!

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez

Last wooter to woot: deaconbluez

Missouri is not on the list? Missouri is always on the list! I'm hoping that is a mistake, since woot took my order without a glitch and I wanted to get in on this in time to have a chance to be a lab ROUS.

I don't care what Miles thinks, Merlot done well is a beautiful thing!

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

chefjess

quality posts: 0 Private Messages chefjess
deaconbluez wrote:Last wooter to woot: deaconbluez

Missouri is not on the list? Missouri is always on the list! I'm hoping that is a mistake, since woot took my order without a glitch and I wanted to get in on this in time to have a chance to be a lab ROUS.

I don't care what Miles thinks, Merlot done well is a beautiful thing!

deaconbluez-I tried to order as well and the state (in my address) popped up as California. Check your order.

I checked the winery website and they ship to Missouri. Was that mistakenly left off this list?

nopple

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nopple
chefjess wrote:deaconbluez-I tried to order as well and the state (in my address) popped up as California. Check your order.

I checked the winery website and they ship to Missouri. Was that mistakenly left off this list?

Sounds like you're out of luck.
From the previous wine.woot:

CTmasterblender wrote:
I'm sorry about that, but I believe our Missouri license wasn't renewed this year for direct shipping.

jwhite6114

zTimothyBz wrote:Okay, Merlot is a favorite varietal of mine. But I still need to be sold. As a blast from the past, how would this wine compare to the St. Supery that was on woot way back when? I still have fond memories of that.

-- T

Or how does it compare to some other Sonoma wine.woot "favorite" vintners, such as Wellington or Ty Caton (both of whom have Merlot's that I love)?

CT | | | | | |

bgburdman9

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bgburdman9

http://www.dandm.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_43_54&products_id=10818&cat=wine&osCsid=a2e21db263425000bbf6e4f31277a564

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
nopple wrote:

Yep, I might be SOL. Missouri still isn't lit up on the map.

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

yumitori

gwpriester wrote:
Er, the Napa Valley on the label should answer your question about different appellations, no?

Well, yes, and Trent could just put 'California Wine' on the label instead.

But my question is regarding the Oak Knoll District and the St. Helena appellations, and what percentages came from each.