zorandra

quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Seems like Spring has us slacking! Indian food would be great for lighter wines. Date, time and location to be determined. Please go gentle on me, this is my first time attempting this.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78
zorandra wrote:Seems like Spring has us slacking! Indian food would be great for lighter wines. Date, time and location to be determined. Please go gentle on me, this is my first time attempting this.

I picked up a couple of bottles of Vidal in Canadia that I think would do quite well with Indian food. Let's start tossing out some dates. I am pretty much available all of June and the first half of May.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

joekerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekerjr

Summer is horrible for me. Buuuuuuut, I love wine, I love Indian food. I'll try to make whatever date is arranged.

I think the only theme should be wine that compliments the food. Thoughts?

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
zorandra wrote:Please go gentle on me, this is my first time attempting this.

based on my broad experience organizing more than half of the CWWT's, my words of wisdom for starters is simply this: the only way this event (and this thread) is going to take is if you take the date bull by the horns. since you would be hosting, propose 3 or 4 specific dates that work for YOU, and let everybody else comment on which work for them. so, propose away, my padawan! ;)

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
themostrighteous wrote:based on my broad experience organizing more than half of the CWWT's, my words of wisdom for starters is simply this: the only way this event (and this thread) is going to take is if you take the date bull by the horns. since you would be hosting, propose 3 or 4 specific dates that work for YOU, and let everybody else comment on which work for them. so, propose away, my padawan! ;)

Even then you'll get a lot of people going "oh any of those dates is fine"... so just pick a date and be done with it

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

themostrighteous

joekerjr wrote:I think the only theme should be wine that compliments the food. Thoughts?

i think that that is fine, but i would strongly encourage folks to bring wines that they have either had with Indian food or that someone (whose palate they trust) has recommended with Indian food. i'd be happy to do some research into this.

themostrighteous

cheron98 wrote:Even then you'll get a lot of people going "oh any of those dates is fine"... so just pick a date and be done with it

hey, unless you are planning on coming, you don't get a say! :P

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:hey, unless you are planning on coming, you don't get a say! :P

And who says I ain't coming? As long as it's a Friday or Saturday, I might just be able to swing it. Provided I don't have anything else going on.

I might even be convinced to bring a bottle of Indian Cab.

themostrighteous

cheron98 wrote:I might even be convinced to bring a bottle of Indian Cab.

i'm not sure that pairs well with ANY food! :P ^ :P

zorandra

themostrighteous wrote:based on my broad experience organizing more than half of the CWWT's, my words of wisdom for starters is simply this: the only way this event (and this thread) is going to take is if you take the date bull by the horns. since you would be hosting, propose 3 or 4 specific dates that work for YOU, and let everybody else comment on which work for them. so, propose away, my padawan! ;)

With those words of wisdom, here go some dates:

Friday, June 5th
Sunday, June 7th
Friday, June 19th
Saturday, June 20th

Since May seems to be shot already figured just dive right into June. What with DTW#6, Mother's Day and Memorial Day I figure most interested parties already have a rather full dance card for the upcoming month. Also, going into June would give ample time to figure out if we want to:

1. find a BYOB
2. see if everyone wants to take their hand at cooking! or
3. order from a restaurant

For the last two Layne and I are happy to host; we live in Andersonville (not too far from where imagine used to live) and we have cat.

Thoughts?

CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

zorandra wrote:With those words of wisdom, here go some dates:

Friday, June 5th
Sunday, June 7th
Friday, June 19th
Saturday, June 20th

Since May seems to be shot already figured just dive right into June. What with DTW#6, Mother's Day and Memorial Day I figure most interested parties already have a rather full dance card for the upcoming month. Also, going into June would give ample time to figure out if we want to:

1. find a BYOB

For the last two Layne and I are happy to host; we live in Andersonville (not too far from where imagine used to live) and we have cat.

Thoughts?

My votes are for 1 or 3. Mostly because I don't want to be responsible for what would happen if I tried to cook Indian food.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

zorandra

tommythecat78 wrote:My votes are for 1 or 3. Mostly because I don't want to be responsible for what would happen if I tried to cook Indian food.

Oh, but who does not love a little culinary excitement. And do not forget to give your thoughts on a date as well! :D

CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

zorandra wrote:Oh, but who does not love a little culinary excitement. And do not forget to give your thoughts on a date as well! :D

As of right now all the dates look alright. That can and probably will change as the dates get closer.

zorandra

tommythecat78 wrote:As of right now all the dates look alright. That can and probably will change as the dates get closer.

Well then, we will have to work to get something solidified so you can crayola it in.

CT (working on it)

themostrighteous

zorandra wrote:With those words of wisdom, here go some dates:

Friday, June 5th
Sunday, June 7th
Friday, June 19th
Saturday, June 20th

1. find a BYOB

Thoughts?

Fridays work best for me. indifferent on #1 or #3. would love to see somebody take a shot at #2! :P

baniak

quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak
themostrighteous wrote:Fridays work best for me. indifferent on #1 or #3. would love to see somebody take a shot at #2! :P

I make a mean Basmati rice. :P

cheron98

baniak wrote:I make a mean Basmati rice. :P

I see your Basmati and raise you an aromatic basmati!

Pin down a date, peeps.

zorandra

cheron98 wrote:I see your Basmati and raise you an aromatic basmati!

Pin down a date, peeps.

What cheron said - date?!

And I make a pretty good chana masala. I would try my hand at aloo palak, or maybe chicken tikka masala.

CT (working on it)

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

We're out on this one. Long story, but have fun.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

zorandra

lauratchi wrote:We're out on this one. Long story, but have fun.

Aw, bummer X a whole lot.

CT (working on it)

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit
zorandra wrote:

Friday, June 5th
Sunday, June 7th
Friday, June 19th
Saturday, June 20th

*snip*

1. find a BYOB

Zorandra: I just checked the sailing schedule (one must have priorities) and I don't have problems with any of the dates.
Now, I would love to try my hand at creating an Indian dish. I have never tried that, how adventurous do you feel? :-) I will just follow the leader when these details get worked out. (sorry I can't help you decide these issues by having something else to do)

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

zorandra

Ok, here is a compiled list of some BYOB Indian restaurants in Chicago. Some I have been to, some I have not; if anyone has any opinions on them, please chime in. I have linked to their main pages, if they exist, as well as their Yelp and the Reader Restaurant Reviews. I thought maybe seeing some ideas would get people going for dates.

Hema's Kitchen veg/meat
Home Page
Yelp
Reader
No exp with this place.

Luzzat veg/meat; South Indian/Pakistani
Home Page - n/a (I can scan the menu if there is interest)
Yelp
Reader
One of my faves; used to be our go to place when Layne lived down the block. Def a no frills joint, but the food is good and they are wonderfully nice. Great wine shop across the street, too - Taste Food and Wine.

Mysore Woodland veg/meat; North Indian
Menu Pages
Yelp
Reader
No exp with this place.

Udupi Palace veg; South Indian
Home Page
Yelp
Reader
Had dosai as take out once years ago and enjoyed it.

Uru-Swati veg; North and South Indian
Timeout Menu Translation (.pdf)
Yelp
Reader
Have had this as take out a couple of times and enjoy it, it is quite nice.

Other than that - when do we eat and drink?!

CT (working on it)

zorandra

Woot-off bump!

CT (working on it)

zorandra

I am bumping this one, too. CHICAGO, where are you??!

Only thing that has changed is we would have to take this show on the road. No longer living at previous location.

CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

zorandra wrote:I am bumping this one, too. CHICAGO, where are you??!

Only thing that has changed is we would have to take this show on the road. No longer living at previous location.

I may be able to get us a location. It would have to be limited to about 8-10 people though. It would be on the south side about 3 blocks from The Cell.

zorandra

tommythecat78 wrote:I may be able to get us a location. It would have to be limited to about 8-10 people though. It would be on the south side about 3 blocks from The Cell.

I am down with that. And depending how soon I get moved into my new place we might be able to do it there, too. Not as big as the old place though. There are always all those BYOBs I listed, too.

Speaking of BYOBs anyone interested in hitting some up around Chicago?? Maybe I will start a thread...

CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

Talked to my buddy today. No firm answer yet. He has to talk to his SO and figure it out from there. 10 people would definitely be the max. They just moved into a new place so it will also depend on when they will be ready to have people over.

zorandra

tommythecat78 wrote:Talked to my buddy today. No firm answer yet. He has to talk to his SO and figure it out from there. 10 people would definitely be the max. They just moved into a new place so it will also depend on when they will be ready to have people over.

Tommy - kewl. Keep posted. If not, would hate to impose!, let's be sure to keep this alive with the BYOB idea. Sound good?

CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

zorandra wrote:Tommy - kewl. Keep posted. If not, would hate to impose!, let's be sure to keep this alive with the BYOB idea. Sound good?

Definitely sounds good to me. Been waaaay too long since the last Chi-town gathering.

jkdaaa

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jkdaaa

Oh man this is an excellent idea. And I'm definitely down to cook if you decide to go that route.

jkdaaa

Hum, woot quadrupled my post.

jkdaaa

jkdaaa

ashecorvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashecorvin

Holy Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), people.... I've been away for some time, but last post in July for a Chicago outing?

Let's do this soon. Chicago is very much a BYOB town so there are tons of places to enjoy our vast collections of woot.wines.

123 bottles and counting...

tommythecat78

ashecorvin wrote:Holy Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966), people.... I've been away for some time, but last post in July for a Chicago outing?

Let's do this soon. Chicago is very much a BYOB town so there are tons of places to enjoy our vast collections of woot.wines.

Glad to see your name 'round these parts. Yes, we are waaaaaaaaay overdue for another Chicago gathering. I will have to check in with my buddy to see if his place is ready for entertaining if people want to go the carry-out or cooking route.

zorandra

Its alive, alive!

Imagine my surprise to see this thread up top. Yes, yes, lets do this people! If there is interest I am happy to check on the original places to make sure they are still around and see if there are any newcomers.

CT (working on it)

tommythecat78

zorandra wrote:Its alive, alive!

Imagine my surprise to see this thread up top. Yes, yes, lets do this people! If there is interest I am happy to check on the original places to make sure they are still around and see if there are any newcomers.

Awesome...maybe some more of us will come out of the woodwork! Walstib? RichC7? Jihadistbunny? TMR?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zorandra wrote:Seems like Spring has us slacking! Indian food would be great for lighter wines. Date, time and location to be determined. Please go gentle on me, this is my first time attempting this.

Wow. Read this and didn't look at the date.

Seems like a year ago us delicate flowers from SoCal braved the Chicago Winter for TMR's splendid Wine Spectacular. Oh, wait, it was a year ago!

Have fun peeples!!! Fond memories of that wonderful gathering.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Weava10

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Weava10

I am very interested in attending a chicago event. Let's get organizing.

cheron98

It's about time you people woke up. Sheesh.