MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Okay, here is a summary of all the recipes and alternates from the two merged Sangria threads. The first (Sangria?) was created by myherobobhope in May of 2007, and then bumped by TheMostRighteous (TMR) in 2008 when we started talking about it again due to the Rock Hollow wine offers.

jwhite6114 had created a new Sangria thread (Balmy Days Sweet Sangria) just before TMR had found and bumped the old thread.

Unfortunately, we had them merge the two threads, and as a result, any new posts went to the middle of page one. Also, instead of only one thread, both still show up side by side when you post to either.

So to avoid any more confusion than normally goes on here in the World of Woot Wine
, I've merged the two into a new thread, and we can let the other two fade away.

Edit: And I will try to add the specific recipes as a single post, but the others may be combined.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

May 15, 2007 – Original Start Post of Sangria? Thread by myherobobhope

myherobobhope wrote:I'm not sure if Sangria is sacrilige to the fine people of wine.woot, but I'm willing to risk blasphemy.

I've had some good Sangria in my time, and I'm interested in making some of my own, but I'm not really sure where to start. What is the best wine base to start with, and does anyone have any good recipes?

The best Sangria I ever has was at "La Oveja Negra" in Barcelona.

May 15, 2007 9:18 AM - Cathyk39 response to myherobobhope

cathyk39 wrote:I make Sangria on a regular basis for large gatherings. I start with an inexpensive dry red, usually in a magnum (1.5 liter) size. Any decent cheap red will do--Concha Y Toro makes some nice inexpensive reds, or a magnum of Banrock station. To that I add several shots of brandy, a shot or two of Cointreau (or Grand Marnier, depending on what I have on hand) and about a cup of orange juice. Then I slice up a lime, a lemon and an orange or two into the wine. I let this sit several hours or over night (letting the ingredients marinate is important), then I serve over crushed ice with a fruit garnish (usually an orange slice). Its always a huge hit and I usually make two batches. You can adjust the brandy and Cointreau to your taste--the orange juice, too.

I've thought several times about adding some Lemoncello to the mix, but have not actually tried that yet.

May 15, 2007 10:38 AM - JenMonkey

jenmonkey wrote:I had a Mediterranean theme to my last Super Bowl party and made both red and white sangrias. I got some recipes from epicurious.com, which I highly recommend.

Honestly, the white sangria was absolutely freaking amazing. I used two bottles of Sauvignon Blanc, some Triple Sec or Grand Marnier (about half a cup, I believe) and a little peach or apricot brandy, and then topped off the mix with club soda. All of this steeped in a ton of sliced fruits like nectarines, peaches, oranges, lemons, limes, and strawberries for about 4 hours to overnight.

Un-freaking-believable.

The red sangria was good too, but I used a Valpolicella and a dry merlot, and I think I might have used regular brandy instead of the apricot. Anyway, both were from recipes I modified slightly off of epicurious.com.

Just experiment, you basically can't go wrong with fruit, booze and wine.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

May 15, 2007 11:21 AM - response to cathyk39

myherobobhope wrote:

cathyk39 wrote:

I make Sangria on a regular basis for large gatherings. I start with an inexpensive dry red, usually in a magnum (1.5 liter) size. Any decent cheap red will do--Concha Y Toro makes some nice inexpensive reds, or a magnum of Banrock station. To that I add several shots of brandy, a shot or two of Cointreau (or Grand Marnier, depending on what I have on hand) and about a cup of orange juice. Then I slice up a lime, a lemon and an orange or two into the wine. I let this sit several hours or over night (letting the ingredients marinate is important), then I serve over crushed ice with a fruit garnish (usually an orange slice). Its always a huge hit and I usually make two batches. You can adjust the brandy and Cointreau to your taste--the orange juice, too.

I've thought several times about adding some Lemoncello to the mix, but have not actually tried that yet.

While I understand the rationale behind using inexpensive wines, what do you think about using more expensive wines? While it would be a waste of a $100 bottle of wine, do you think a slighty more expensive wine would make better sangria, or do you think all the subtlety of the wine is lost in translation.

In other words, what's the cut off point, both on the top end and the low end for wines becoming sangria.

The same question holds for the brandy.

Also, when you say Lemoncello, do you mean homemade or store bought? I have never heard of it, and google gave me recipes, but I assume you can also buy it?

May 15, 2007 12:37 PM - cathyk39 response to myherobobhope

cathyk39 wrote:I would not use a very expensive wine because you are adding additional alcohol, which will kill the nuances of expensive wine. I would not use the absolutely cheapest wine you can find because its unpleasant characteristics can show through the additives and "taint" your sangria. I usually go in the range of $10 to $15 (for the 1.5 liter). As for the brandy, again, if you go too expensive its just wasting good brandy, but you don’t want rot-gut either. Truthfully, the E&J Brandy works just fine--its smooth and pleasant and adds to the overall feel of the sangria.

Lemoncello is something I've only toyed around with and I haven’t yet tried making it myself. I think you could use either, altho' the store bought is definitely easier. I just think the tart/sweet flavor profile of the Lemoncello would work well with the other sangria ingredients.

MarkDaSpark

May 16, 2007 6:31 AM

pagreen wrote:There's a decent, if simple, recipe for Sangria on the America's Test Kitchen website. For now, I believe the link is free. They say use a Merlot, I actually used Banrock (box) Shiraz. In any case, this is it:

The Best Sangria
from the Episode: Party Foods, Paella Party
from the Companion Book: Here In America's Test Kitchen from the Companion Book: Cooking at Home

The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that’s impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you’ll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. An inexpensive Merlot is the best choice for this recipe.

Serves 4 2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced
1 large lemon , washed and sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Triple Sec
1 bottle inexpensive, fruity, medium-bodied red wine (750 milliliters), chilled

1. Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.

2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.

Here's another I haven't tried, although it looks good:

The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that's impossible, give it an absolute minimum of 2 hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you'll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. A Pinot Grigio or an un-oaked Chardonnay are the best choices for this recipe.

INGREDIENTS
2 large juice oranges , 1 cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, 1 juiced
1 large lemon , cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Triple Sec
1 (750-ml.) bottle fruity white wine (medium-bodied), chilled (see above note)
6 - 8 ice cubes

1. Add orange and lemon slices and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until sugar dissolves and fruit releases some juice but is not completely crushed, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2 and up to 8 hours.
2. Before serving, add ice cubes and stir briskly to redistribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately.

I like the simplicity of these recipes. Here, by the way, is their take on why you should use cheaper wines (along with a few other comments):

Start with cheap red wine, which actually makes a better sangria than the expensive stuff. (Experts told us that the sugar and fruit called for in sangria throw off the balance of any wine used, so why spend a lot on something that was carefully crafted?)We experimented with untold varieties of fruit to put in our sangria and finally concluded that simpler is better. We preferred the straightforward tang of citrus in the form of oranges and lemons. And we discovered that the zest and pith as well as the fruit itself make an important contribution to flavor. Orange liqueur is standard in recipes for sangria, and after experimenting we found that here, as with the wine, cheaper was just fine, this time in the form of Triple Sec. Fortification with any other alcoholic beverage, from gin to port to brandy, simply gave the punch too much punch. What we wanted, and what we now had, was a light, refreshing, very drinkable drink.

MarkDaSpark

May 27, 2007 7:24 PM - iByron

iByron wrote:Wine Enthusiast magazine online offers this article hawking wine slushes as "an appealing alternative to sangria or a wine spritzer." Naturally, recipes are included.

I imagine one could come up with a sangria slush. Inexpensive tempranillo or carmenere; frozen citrus juices; lime, lemon, and orange slices...

May 29, 2007 6:15 AM

myherobobhope wrote:I made 3 pitchers of sangria this weekend...

1 Tropical with Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon, Mangos, Papaya, Pineapple, Lime, Lemon, Orage and Passion Fruit juice... I added some sugar and a healthy dose of triple sec (about .5L)

1 "regular" with Barefoot Cabernet Sauvignon, Limes, Lemons, apples, oranges (about 1 of each), suger, triple sec (.5L)

1. White with 3 blind moose chardonnay, limes, lemons, strawberrys, oranges, pineapple, apples, sugar and triple sec (.5L)

I put 2 bottles into each (so 6 bottles total... and 1.5L of Triple Sec).

They all were pretty good, I didn't put ice directly into the container, and instead would fill a glass with ice, put in a splash of club soda and then pour the sangria over it.

The only mistake I made was bringing them out one night, and not refridgerating them as we used them, as they spoiled overnight and were undrinkable the next day.

I am making more this weekend, and hopefully we will drink the whole thing the first time around this time. I might also premix in the club soda and ice.

MarkDaSpark

Apr 28, 2008 11:25 PM - MarkDaSpark (into original Sangria? Thread)

Here are some receipes that were posted this week in the main thread.

The first is by TMR, from a previous thread. The others, sorry, but I forgot to copy in their names. They all sound great!

SANGRIA - TMR
“The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that's impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you'll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. An inexpensive Merlot is the best choice for this recipe.

Serves 4
2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Triple Sec

1. Add sliced orange, lemon, and sugar to large pitcher; mash gently with wooden spoon until fruit releases some juice, but is not totally crushed, and sugar dissolves, about 1 minute. Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and wine; refrigerate for at least 2, and up to 8, hours.

2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately."

substitute fine sugar in place of granulated sugar (trust me when i tell you that it makes all the difference in the world) as well as the Poesía in place of the Merlot & voilá, you’ve got one kick-ass Sangría. of course, if you’ve ever made Sangría, then you know that you can’t actually pass judgment on it until it has “fermented” (so-to-speak) for at least a couple of hours. and so i waited.

Spanish Sangria

1 bottle Spanish Grenache wine
2 oz Spanish brandy
2 oz Cointreau
2 oz peach liqueur
1 peach, 1 green apple, and 1 orange, all peeled and diced
1 pinch ground cinnamon
6 oz orange juice
4 oz Sprite or 7UP
Soak the fruit in the liquors for up to a day. When ready to serve, add wine, cinnamon, orange juice and soda. Pour over ice into tumblers.

SANGRIA RECIPE

1 each orange, lime, and lemon – sliced “starwise” with rind
1 small apple cubed,
1 small pear cubed
½ sugar dissolved in touch of warm water
2 cups orange juice
2 cups lemonade (I used raspberry lemonade)
1/2 cup tequila, rum, or brandy, etc.
One 1.5 litre of Torres “Sangrie de Toro”, or any red wine (not too rough)
1 can of 7-up, Sprite, soda water, seltzer water, etc. (Something to give it a little fizz. Added just before serving.)

(Note: The fruit selection can vary. The star fruits work well because they blend nicely with the wine. The apple and pear also adds a nice touch. But use whichever fruits you like. I've used berries and strawberries too.)

Mix everything but the sparkling water, and let sit for several hours in refrigerator. Add sparkling water or 7up just before serving. Serve with lots of ice.

MarkDaSpark

Apr 28, 2008 9:35 AM - jwhite6114 (New Thread created)

jwhite6114 wrote:So whether or not you're interested in using Rock Hollow to make sangria, just want to see some different recipes, or have questions about making sangria, it seems the right time of year to have a dedicated discussion on this drink.

I, for one, have had some excellent sangrias in the past, and would love to learn more about it for making killer summer drinks.

Apr 28, 2008 9:14 AM – MarkDaSpark into Rock Hollow Wine & quoted by jwhite6114 into Sangria Thread

smlauren wrote:Spanish Sangria
1 bottle Spanish Grenache wine
2 oz Spanish brandy
2 oz Cointreau
2 oz peach liqueur
1 peach, 1 green apple, and 1 orange, all peeled and diced
1 pinch ground cinnamon
6 oz orange juice
4 oz Sprite or 7UP
Soak the fruit in the liquors for up to a day. When ready to serve, add wine, cinnamon, orange juice and soda. Pour over ice into tumblers.

Mexican Sangria
Half a bottle of good Spanish red wine
Juice of 3 limes
The peel of one lime, grated
2 tbsp sugar
Combine in a pitcher with a dozen ice cubes, and let sit until all the ice is melted.

I believe this is the receipe that TMR gave us before. I saved it to try, but haven't yet.

SANGRIA

“The longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste. A full day is best, but if that's impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit. Use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for the best flavor. Doubling or tripling the recipe is fine, but you'll have to switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher. An inexpensive Merlot is the best choice for this recipe.

Serves 4
2 large juice oranges , washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Triple Sec

2. Before serving, add 6 to 8 ice cubes and stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp; serve immediately."

Substitute fine sugar in place of granulated sugar (trust me when i tell you that it makes all the difference in the world) as well as the Poesía in place of the Merlot & voilá, you’ve got one kick-ass Sangría. of course, if you’ve ever made Sangría, then you know that you can’t actually pass judgment on it until it has “fermented” (so-to-speak) for at least a couple of hours. And so i waited.

Note: PolarBear22 posted this in response to TMR’s recipe …

Our recipe is similar. No sugar, and add 2-4 ounces of brandy. Goes fine with either red or white wine.

MarkDaSpark

Apr 28, 2008 9:37 AM - jwhite

jwhite6114 wrote:My BIG question (of the moment) is how do different types of wine affect the sangria? Is it best to use a very dry wine, to balance the sugar and the fruit added in the "punch"? Does a fruity wine make for a more punchy drink, or just go too far? Sangria blanco? Anyone?

Apr 28, 2008 9:48 AM – TMR’s response to JW

themostrighteous wrote:my responses based on my personal tastes:

1. dry & tannic is best.
2. never tried Sangria Blanca (kindly notice the proper gender form)

will expound on these later, but must run now for a lunch date w/ SWMBO, so laterz!!!

Apr 28, 2008 1:43 PM - TMR responded to his recipe quoted previously:

themostrighteous wrote:just a reminder that i had outstanding results w/ this recipe in early April by substituting the (recommended) Merlot w/ the 2005 Poesia Pasodoble (Argentina, Mendoza, Lujan de Cuyo) (34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Malbec, 33% Syrah).

MarkDaSpark

Apr 28, 2008 1:51 PM - TMR covering the bases.

themostrighteous wrote:
i'm not Spanish, but i am at least 1/4 of Spanish descent, and that was good enough of an excuse for my papa to prepare this on a regular basis. a couple of "tricks" of the trade that i learned at his proverbial knee for your consideration:

1. you can readily substitute Cointreau in place of Triple Sec. it is actually my liqueur-of-choice for Sangría, but i didn't have any in stock yesterday. btw, most Sangría recipes call for Brandy as the fortifying agent, but IMO citrus-flavored liqueurs like Cointreau & Triple Sec are the better choice. YMMV.

2. i cannot overemphasize the importance of using SUPERFINE SUGAR. one of the most common reasons for the bitter taste that you described is insufficiently dissolved sugar that settles at the bottom of the mix where it does nobody any good. this almost always happens w/ regular sugar. add to that the nifty little step of pre-dissolving the sugar in fruit juice per step #1 of the recipe that i posted & voilá! you should be able to bypass bitterness altogether.

3. if you are feeling uberlazy, or if you are in a rush, you can always throw together a Tinto de Verano (aka Poor Man's Sangría) instead. this is a lighter version, but it takes 10 secs to prepare, tops. pour equal parts of red wine & a sweet non-alcoholic beverage (like Coke (my preference), ginger ale (very popular) or lemonade) into a glass / pitcher, add ice, swirl & drink!

ENJOY!!!

JOATMON wrote:
Triple sec is both a brand and a type of liqueur. As a generic label, it stands for any orange type liqueur; Contreau and Grand Marnier are types of triple secs.

themostrighteous wrote:
well, danggit, you learn something new every day. (or at least i do.) thank you for your correction.

Mr. White:

allow me therefore to restate WRT my Sangría recipe that my preference is for branded Cointreau over unbranded triple sec. which unbranded triple sec is what i used in the 6-bottle mammoth batch that i just prepared for tomorrow's event. which batch it is going to be terribly difficult to resist between now & then!

your most humble(d) servant,

Mr. Pink

Apr 11, 2008 5:59 PM - Ublink’s response to TMR’s #3 above (in Rock Hollow thread) as quoted by TMR into Sangria thread.

UBlink wrote:Don't argue with my advice before you try it. I learned it from a restaurant that everyone thought had the best Sangria. Fresca is the secret ingredient. It's crazy but true. In the Blink household, when the red wine goes blinky (a technical gourmet term) UBlink finishes it off mixed with Fresca (and OJ if available, maybe some brandy, etc).

Apr 28, 2008 3:34 PM

MR_Yeoman wrote:The super fine sugar is easy to make, just put normal sugar in a food processor for 30 seconds. If you really want to guaranty it fully dissolves you can use simple syrup (add equal or slightly more parts sugar to boiling water until fully dissolved, let cool). Remember however if you use simple syrup the water in it will slightly dilute the final drink. Although probably in something like sangria you wouldn't notice.

Mr. Yeoman’s first and ONLY post so far …. Noted by TMR in the post after it.

MarkDaSpark

Apr 28, 2008 4:29 PM – in Rock Hollow CS thread, quoted by TMR into the Sangria thread.

klswoot wrote:Okay. My husband's from Spain, so his opinion of a true Spanish Sangria might be a little different, but he doesn't complain too much when I make this one. It actually came from a Spanish bartender. I think the Rock Hollow could work really well.

SANGRIA RECIPE

1 each orange, lime, and lemon – sliced “starwise” with rind
1 small apple cubed,
1 small pear cubed
½ sugar dissolved in touch of warm water
2 cups orange juice
2 cups lemonade (I used raspberry lemonade)
1/2 cup tequila, rum, or brandy, etc.
One 1.5 litre of Torres “Sangrie de Toro”, or any red wine (not too rough)
1 can of 7-up, Sprite, soda water, seltzer water, etc. (Something to give it a little fizz. Added just before serving.)

(Note: The fruit selection can vary. The star fruits work well because they blend nicely with the wine. The apple and pear also adds a nice touch. But use whichever fruits you like. I've used berries and strawberries too.)

Mix everything but the sparkling water, and let sit for several hours in refrigerator. Add sparkling water or 7up just before serving. Serve with lots of ice.

I've served at a BBQ with roasted rosemary garlic potatoes and this lime coconut chicken recipe. Always a huge hit. ENJOY!

LIME -COCONUT – CILANTRO CHICKEN

Serves 4
2 lemon grass stalks
3 fresh green chiles, seeded, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 scallions, chopped
1 handful cilantro leaves
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp. White pepper
½ tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. Ground coriander
grated zest of lime
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp grated fresh ginger root
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
½ cup coconut milk
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, butterflied
1 recipe for fresh mango sambal (below)

Remove and discard the tough outer skin from the lemon grass and chop roughly. Mix all ingredients, excluding chicken and mango sambal, together in food process or blender. Pulse until smooth. In a bowl, toss chicken with the lemon grass mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours. Grill or broil chicken, approximately 3 minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve hot with fresh mango sambal, optional.
Note: Marinade may be made up to 3 days in advance.

FRESH MANGO SAMBAL (you can use papaya in place of the mango)

1 mango (or papaya) seeded and finely chopped
½ red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
salt and black peper

Combine all ingredients. Add salt and pepper according to taste. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes at room temperature to allow flavors to blend. Serve chilled or at room temperature. (Note: the sambal may be made up to 4 hours in advance.)

MarkDaSpark

Apr 29, 2008 6:25 AM - TMR

themostrighteous wrote:i most recently prepared the recipe that Sparky reposted on my behalf w/ a Cab Sauv-Malbec-Syrah blend that had maybe 2% residual sugar (my guesstimate) & medium tannins to begin w/ (instead of the recommended Merlot). w/ this wine as its base, this recipe yielded a Sangria that tasted somewhat more sweet than the 1994 Dow Porto Vintage that we had at CWWT#2 (note that i actually took a bit of this Sangria to CWWT#2 & was able to taste them (sort of) side by side). i found this end product delightful. if i had to describe it in the terms that you posed, i would call it sweet (but not super) & fruity (but not punchy), w/ enough tannins to give it backbone. i had not previously had Sangria w/ a backbone before (probably indicative of the drink-now quality of the wines w/ which i have prepared it in the past) but i doubt i will ever again have it any other way. it just made the end result, well, COMPLETE & a hell of a whole more INTERESTING. not to mention, btw, that it didn't stop the 20 people or so for whom i had prepared it (none of whom were winos) from lappin' almost 6 bottles worth of the stuff. but, as always, YMMV.

Apr 29, 2008 11:48 AM – KLSWOOT

klswoot wrote:In Spain the Sangria is very sweet...you can see the sugar in the bottom of the pitcher. My husband is from Alicante, Spain and he loves the Sangria sweet. I prefer it less sweet. I like to taste the wine....rather than taste like a punch. For outdoor summer gatherings, I usually make it a tad on the sweet side.

But, you end up drinking far more of it!

Another trick is to add frozen fruit in place of the ice cubes. Still makes for a cold drink, but you don't end up watering it down as much as with ice cubes.

MarkDaSpark

May 12, 2008 5:12 PM – MarkDaSpark (after thread merger)

Okay, really bizarre thread. Shows Cesare as last poster for both Sangria threads. Yet when I clicked on the Sangria thread, it shows Balmy Days Sweet Sangria, and mine is the last post. I think they merged the threads, but "you got some 'splaining to do!"

Anyway the reason is one of the Cycles guys just posted a link to a Peach Sangria recipe regarding their Pinot Grigio offering.

From Epicurious.com:

Peach White-Wine Sangria

Active time: 15 min Start to finish: 1 1/2 hr

Servings: Makes 8 to 10 drinks.

Ingredients:

1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves plus 8 to 10 sprigs
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 cans peach nectar (23 fl oz total)
1 (750-ml) bottle chilled dry white wine
1 large peach (peeled if desired), diced

Preparation:

Put basil leaves, sugar, and lemon juice into a small saucepan and bruise leaves by mashing with a wooden spoon. Add 1 can nectar and bring just to a simmer, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, then pour through a medium-mesh sieve into a heatproof pitcher, discarding basil leaves. Stir in wine, peach, remaining can nectar, and basil sprigs. Chill, covered, at least 1 hour and up to 24. Serve over ice.

Link Here

Jul 27, 2008 7:45 PM - afranke reporting on White Wine Sangria above

afranke wrote:I realize I'm bumping a very old thread, but I just have to give the proper thanks for this recipe. I made a triple batch for a party today, figuring there'd be plenty left over for sipping throughout the week. Boy, was I wrong. There was nothing left but fruit chunks.

Thanks for the great recipe!

MarkDaSpark

Jun 21, 2008 10:40 AM

Cross-posting from the pub:

yathink2 wrote:I cant believe it. I have the house to myself (no kids) on a Saturday! I havent had this in years. So, it has become a day of spoilage, to me from me. Thinking of making the Sangria. I ve never had it before but it sounds very good. Any idea of what to cook with it? Hopefully it involves grilled red meat

Well, this article on Sangria says: "Sangria is the perfect complement to spicy food or Mediterranean dishes. It also goes great with everything that comes off the grill."

It also talks about adjusting the wine you use depending on the meat.

It also mentions using white wine to make Sangria.

Adding to see if making a second page will help clear up the thread on Sangria.

Good article with tips: this article on Sangria says: "Sangria is the perfect complement to spicy food or Mediterranean dishes. It also goes great with everything that comes off the grill."

Jul 5, 2008 10:32 AM - jwhite reported on using Zin in his Sangria

jwhite6114 wrote:The zin worked wonderfully. I can't compare it to other wines as this is the first sangria I have made, but I can attest that it was very very tasty and (as sangria should be) way to easy to drink .

Jul 5, 2008 6:56 PM - polarbear22 reporting on his varietals used in Sangria

polarbear22 wrote:We did two batches of Sangria. First was with a Spanish red called Borsao, a grenache/tempranillo blend. It was the better of the two. The second was an Italian Merlot (cheapie). Our recipe is a bottle of wine, 4 oz. of brandy and 4 oz. of Triple Sec. Then sliced a lemon, lime and orange. This is real good Sangria, with a lot of the wine flavor.

MarkDaSpark

Apr 14, 2009 8:22 AM & again at 8:39 - MDS & EricTx both cross posted his White Sangria recipe from Pub.

Cross-Posting new White Sangria recipe from EricTX (plus wanted to bump this back up to page one of the World of Woot Wine forum):

eric9tx wrote:Yesterday, I experimented with a new version of my highly-acclaimed (at least amongst my own friends) white sangria recipe. Actually, I stole the original from someone here but have tweaked it over the last year to near-perfection.

Slice 1 orange, 1 lemon, and 1 lime. (pick out the seeds if you are really OCD). Put fruit in large pitcher and gently smoosh without destroying it.

Nuke 1 1/2 cups water (pyrex measuring cup works best) til really hot, stir in 1 cup sugar til dissolved, add ice to cool until you have 2 to 2 1/2 cups total.

Add 1.5L bottle of cheap white wine* to fruit in pitcher.

Add sugar water to fruit/wine.

Add 1 cup of rum to fruit/wine/water. Stir. Refrigerate overnight.

Serve over ice, adding some of the fruit as garnish.

* I used Woodbridge Sauv Blanc ($10.99) this time, and it's the best I've tried so far. Better than chard.

Notes: Original recipe called for apricot brandy, which works but the rum is pretty kick-ass! Use white (clear) rum if possible, as opposed to gold (brown). Brandy makes it look a bit murky-brown, and less aesthetically pleasing. Same instructions can be used for red sangria, but I have not tried that with rum (yet). Shiraz turned out best among cab, shiraz, and merlot tests.

Sounds really, really good! Although PolarBear22 mentioned they use Triple Sec in place of the sugar IIRC.

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege

All of these recipes look great, and mine are close to these. My only suggestions are:

1. If you are using sugar, make sure you completely dissolve it in the simple syrup &/or liquor before adding other ingredients.

2. Use a really big pitcher and lots of fruit. Because one of the best (!) parts of sangria is the drunken bobbing for fruit when all of the wine is gone. Delicious!!!

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sounds really, really good! Although PolarBear22 mentioned they use Triple Sec in place of the sugar IIRC.

is this the frat house recipe?!? :P

do you know... what biodynamics is?

MarkDaSpark

themostrighteous wrote:is this the frat house recipe?!? :P

It's from PolarBear, so no.

MarkDaSpark

Bumping this back up to page one, especially since summer is getting close, and Memorial Day is almost upon us, and well, because it's Sangria!

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

Bumping this as I'm using these recipe suggestions with my JanKris wines this weekend for a cookout

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

prepared this modified recipe for this afternoon's barbie...

tmr's modified sangria!

serves 4 (1)
2 large juice oranges, washed and sliced (2)
1 large lemon, washed and sliced (2)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 cup triple sec
1 750 ml bottle fruity and medium-bodied red wine

1. add sliced oranges, lemon, and sugar to large bowl
2. gently mash individual orange & lemon slices with a wooden reamer until fruit releases some juice (but is not totally crushed) and sugar dissolves
3. transfer mashed fruit and sugar to large pitcher
4. add Triple Sec and enough wine to large bowl to fully "rinse" it
5. transfer Triple Sec and wine to large pitcher
6. add remainder of wine to large pitcher and stir for several minutes
7. refrigerate for at least 2 hours (3)
8. add 6 to 8 ice cubes, stir briskly to distribute settled fruit and pulp, and serve

NOTES:

(1) switch to a large punch bowl in place of the pitcher when doubling or tripling the recipe

(2) use large, heavy, juicy oranges and lemons for best results.

(3) the longer sangria sits before drinking, the more smooth and mellow it will taste - a full day is best, but if that's impossible, give it an absolute minimum of two hours to sit.

my secret ingredient this year! i'll let y'all know how well it plays in sangria. i suspect divinely.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
themostrighteous wrote:prepared this modified recipe for this afternoon's barbie...

my secret ingredient this year! i'll let y'all know how well it plays in sangria. i suspect divinely.

I think that will be mighty fine sangria. I tend to use cheap wine for sangria.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

cjsiege

themostrighteous wrote:my secret ingredient this year! i'll let y'all know how well it plays in sangria. i suspect divinely.

Wow! You must have a lot more of that juice in your cellar than I have. I wouldn't dream of adulterating it with the other flavors.

Let us know how it comes out!

cjsiege

NoVA/DC Picnic Sangria
(Makes 2 1/2 Gallons!)

1 1/2 c Brandy
1 c superfine sugar
Mix together until sugar dissolves.
Add:
1 c sweetened lime juice (e.g. Rose's)
1 1/2 c orange juice
1 c lemon juice
2 - 1.5l bottles E&J Gallo Cafe Zin. (Yes, that stuff. It's about $7.50/bottle and it's FF&F. Which is really good for a sangria!)

Open and reserve juice from:
3 - 20oz cans pineapple chunks
2 - 20oz cans pineapple tidbits
2 - 15oz cans sweet, dark cherries in syrup (NOT marischino cherries)

You should have about 4c pineapple juice and 3/4c cherry syrup. Add the juices to the sangria mix and put the fruit into the pitchers.

Open, drain, and add to pitchers:
3 - 15oz cans mandarin oranges

Ladle in the sangria. Refreigerate until well chilled. Serve straight, or add some seltzer water for fizzies. Add some sliced citrus fruit to make individual glasses look pretty. Don't forget to go bobbing for the wine soaked fruit when the pitcher is empty!

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx
themostrighteous wrote:prepared this modified recipe for this afternoon's barbie...

Dood... stop. Just stop. Using that to make sangria? cj's right... you have too much wine. Ty's stuff is among my favorite and I sure as hell wouldn't obliterate the taste of it by mixing. I suppose you use Belvedere in your screwdrivers? Patron in your margaritas?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

MarkDaSpark

Some new receipes I found, but haven't tried yet ...

White Sangria

2 bottles dry white wine
1 bottle St. James Peach wine
1 3/4 cups White Rum (Ron Barcelo was recommended)
1/2 cup Curacao (Gabriel Boudier was recommended)
1/4 cup Sugar, or to taste

Combine the wine, rum, and curacao in a large pitcher. Pour in the sugar and mix thouroughly until the sugar is dissolved. Add whatever fruit you're using and place in the fridge, allowing the fruit to masserate for at least one hour.

Red Sangria

2 bottles Fruit Forward Red Wine
1 bottle St. James Fruit Wine (Strawberry, Blackberry, or Cherry)
1 3/4 cups Rum (Westerhall recommended)
1/2 cup G.E. Massenez Creme de Framboise
1/4 cup sugar, or to taste

In a large pitcher, combine the wine, rum and framboise. Pour in sugar and dissolve. Add fruit, and place in fridge for at least an hour.

As noted in other posts, you might not want to use regular sugar, but the more finely ground ones.

Sangria Alternatives

Add a cup or two of Seltzer water to spritz it up, or for sweeter use a cup or two of ginger ale or lemon-lime soda.

Place small berries and mint leaves in ice cube trays, fill with St. James Fruit Wine and freeze. Won't dilute the Sangria.

Add a little spice by adding a cinnamon stick to red Sangria or fresh mint leaves to white Sangria.

Fruites

Apples (Granny Smith recommended)
Apricots
Berries (Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries)
Lemons
Limes
Cherries
Melons (Cantelope, honedew, watermelon) without rind
Pineapple (cut rind off)
Plums
Oranges
Grapes
Peaches (white is best in white Sangria and yellow in red Sangria)
Nectarines (same as above)
Pears (Bartlett works best.)

MarkDaSpark

Bump for Summer months.

MarkDaSpark

Bump for Summer 2010

MarkDaSpark

Imagine4vr wrote:I think this is the clip Summertime Drinks About 3:30 is the drink you're talking about? They all look yummy though!

edit: Now it works

Cross-Posting from the Pub. Rosé Sangria

MarkDaSpark

Some more Sangria recipes.

White Sangria

2 bottles dry white wine
1 bottle Peach Wine (St. James)
1 3/4 cup White Rum
1/2 cup Curacao (or Triple Sec, Gran Marnier, or Cointreau)
1/4 Sugar (fine Baking Sugar is recommended)

In a large pitcher, combine the wine, rum, and curacao. Pour in the sugar and mix thoroughly, until all the sugar is dissolved.

Add whatever fruit and place in the fridge, allowing the fruit to masserate for at least one hour.

Pour into ice cube filled glasses and serve (8 to 10 servings).

Red Sangria

2 bottles Fruit Forward Red Wine
1 bottle Fruit Wine (St. James Strawberry, Blackberry, or Cherry)
1 3/4 cups Rum
1/2 cup Creme de Framboise
1/4 cup Sugar

In a large pitcher, combine the wine, rum, and framboise. Pour in the sugar and mix thoroughly, until all the sugar is dissolved.

Add whatever fruit and place in the fridge, allowing the fruit to masserate for at least one hour.

Pour into ice cube filled glasses and serve (8 to 10 servings).

Alternatives:

To either, you can add a cup or two of Seltzer water, or of Ginger Ale or Lemon-Lime soda (7-Up/Sprite/etc.) or Fresca.

Fill an ice cube tray with the St. James Fruit wine and freeze. Use in place of regular ice cubes. Add small berries and mint leaves before freezing.

Fruits you can use:

• Apples (Granny Smith)
  • Apricots
  • Berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries)
  • Lemons
  • Limes
  • Cherries
  • Melons (cantelope, honeydew, watermelon)
  • Pineapple
  • Plums
  • Oranges
  • Grapes
  • Peaches (white in white sangria)
  • Nectarines (white in white sangria)
  • Pears (Bartlett)

MarkDaSpark

Had success with the White Sangria recipe above during the summer.

Also did a red with was liked even better:

• 2 large juice oranges, washed; one orange sliced; remaining orange juiced
  • 1 large lime, washed and sliced
  • 2 large peaches, washed and sliced
  • 2 large nectarines, washed and sliced
  • 1 basket raspberries, washed
  • 1/2 cup baking sugar (superfine)
  • 1/2 cup Triple Sec
  • 1/2 cup Cointreau
  • 2 bottles inexpensive, fruity, medium-bodied red wine (750 milliliters), chilled (Used Tin Roof Merlot)

• Add sugar to large pitcher;
  • Stir in orange juice, Triple Sec, and Cointreau; stir gently until sugar dissolves, about 2 to 3 minutes.
  • Add wine and then fruit
  • Stir gently
  • Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but better left overnight.

darlenee1

and bumping this one to prevent bad feelings.

MarkDaSpark

darlenee1 wrote:and bumping this one to prevent bad feelings.

Maybe I should go and bump the original joined Sangria threads (new posts end up in the middle of the joined thread) so they don't feel left out?

MarkDaSpark

blairms had good results with Bobby Flay's recipe.

blairms wrote:I dumped two bottles into a sangria using Bobby Flay's recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/red-wine-sangria-recipe/index.html

Went over well at the world cup party I brought it to, but I still have some bottles of this left to deal with

darlenee1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe I should go and bump the original joined Sangria threads (new posts end up in the middle of the joined thread) so they don't feel left out?

Nah I just couldn't find yours first, but found the link to it in the other thread.

MarkDaSpark

darlenee1 wrote:Nah I just couldn't find yours first, but found the link to it in the other thread.

Ed Zachery!

MarkDaSpark

Has anyone tried the pre-bottled Sangria at Cost Plus (locally on sale for $6)?

MarkDaSpark

Bump ... in case anyone wants to try Sangria for Thanksgiving ....

MarkDaSpark

Scott Harvey Sangria (One Last Kiss White)

Sangria

Ingredients:
2 firm, ripe peaches cut into thin wedges
1 sliced lime
1 sliced orange
1/2 sliced green apple
1/2 cup peach Schnapps
1 bottle (750ml) One Last Kiss White
2 cups sparkling water

Directions:
Mix Schnapps, One Last Kiss White, and peaches in large pitcher. Mix in apple, citrus, sparkling water, and serve over ice. Makes 4-6 glasses

MarkDaSpark

Bump for the 2011 Summer Months .....

Sangria Ingredients

1/2 cup brandy
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup frozen lemonade concentrate
1/3 cup orange juice
1 (750 ml) bottle dry red wine
1/2 cup triple sec
1 lemon, sliced into rounds
1 orange, sliced into rounds
1 lime, sliced into rounds
1/4 cup white sugar (optional)
8 maraschino cherries
2 cups carbonated water (optional)

In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the brandy, lemon juice, lemonade concentrate, orange juice, red wine, triple sec, and sugar. Float slices of lemon, orange and lime, and maraschino cherries in the mixture.

Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. For a fizzy sangria, add club soda just before serving.

Sangria is ready to serve.

Prep Time:10 Min
Cook Time:20 Min
Ready In:30 Min
Servings: 8

What I had to laugh at is they used the picture above with the recipe ... since it's white wine sangria in the pitcher. Along with different fruits!

And it's not just that one, they also have a Perfect Sangria that also uses red wine, but this picture ... from a Sparkling Sangria recipe.

Sparkling Sangria

Cava is a Spanish sparkling wine with less acidity than Champagne; you may substitute another sparkling wine, such as prosecco, if you prefer. Top each beverage with a mint sprig for a fragrant garnish.

YIELD: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

Ingredients

1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
1 cup blueberries
1 cup raspberries
1 cup quartered small strawberries
1/2 cup chopped nectarine (about 1)
1/3 cup brandy
1 cup apricot nectar, chilled
1 (750-ml) bottle cava, chilled

Preparation

1. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a large pitcher, and chill for at least 2 hours. Stir in 1 cup nectar and wine. Serve immediately.

MarkDaSpark

Bumping for 2012 Summer Months