otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
KRWINE wrote:Our property in Carneros was originally planted in 1973. We bought it in 1979, which was the first year that it actually produced a commercial crop of grapes. I have made wine out of those grapes every year since (30 years in 2008!—life does speed by!). As to the question about vine life: vines, if taken care of will live a hundred-plus years. That said, over time the fruitfulness does decline. Commercially vineyard life is rated at 30 years, but there are many productive and viable vineyards in their 50s. I take meticulous care of our Estate vineyard and the result has been that the grapes just keep getting better and the fruitfulness has not gone down. I did replant about one third of it three years ago, figuring that I would do 1/3 each ten years and that way I can maintain the quality and production

otolith wrote:I am quite interested in these vines and their management.

I'm going to speak in generalities here, as I'm sure that there are plenty of examples where this isn't the case. OK?

I think it's interesting how you plan on replanting some of the vines every 10 years or so. I believe some of the 2nd labels from some of the French wineries are from their younger vines, in some cases, vines less than 30 years old.

I'm curious, given how happy you are with the fruit, if you think the vines have more to give as they age, or if you think they've reached their peak, and that now's a good time to start replanting so you can keep getting good, consistent fruit?

Kent, I asked this in the main thread, and am afraid it will get lost in all the further discussion. Would be interested in your thoughts on this.
Thanks

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

The Beard is Back, Baby!

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

paryb

quality posts: 17 Private Messages paryb

Now that is a beard.

189 Bottles of wine from Woot so far!
$3319.36or a mere $17.56 per bottle.

wine.woot Keeping Paryb in the red(and sometimes white) since 5/9/2007

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
AbrahamKRasmussen wrote:Four score and seven vintages ago our fathers brought forth from UC Davis, a new terroir, conceived in Oenology, and dedicated to the proposition that all men can create good wine.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that style, or any style so Parkerized and so extracted, can long endure.

&c.
Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Tevye Rasmussen wrote:Who, day and night, must scramble for a living,
Feed a wife and children, say his daily prayers?
And who has the right, as master of the house,
To have the final word at home?

The winemaker! Tradition!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Winedavid39

quality posts: 204 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

gcdyersb wrote:Wow, that article on PS diversity is really interesting. Perhaps most interesting in this:

"Who knows the sources of aromatic diversity? One aspect seems obvious: the transfer of aromatic substances from native vegetation to the wax cuticle which surrounds every berry."

I have actually picked up sage and a dry vegetation aroma in wines produced from grapes grown in the mountains near Santa Barbara. I though it was probably me projecting my image of the vineyard on the wine. But there is actually a good scientific explanation.

I also like that Clark Smith writes, "In grape monocultures, this factor plays less of a role." So it appears you get the most distinctive expression of terroir from vineyards out in the boondocks.

Carneros still has a couple of operating dairies remaining (really..).

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

Kent, I drank your 1991 CS last night. It probably cost about the same as what you sold it for on release (thank you winebid guides). Still had some life, along with a lot of elegance.

Thanks for all the info and the proof is in the pour.

signed.

winemuso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winemuso

Indeed, it is true that without the wax cuticle that forms around the grape does not allow grape monocultures to form properly. As a result of the cool Carneros climate though, grape subcultures and countercultures thrive. The latest sighting of a cluster from one of these post-monocultures was spotted sporting the lost beard (which disappeared sometime in the general time-vicinity of last Spring)in Portugal, of the famed winemaker, Kent Rasmussen himself. It is suggested that Mr. Rasmussen stage a cue and take back what is truly his from these upstarts in the wine industry. Kent, we look forward to seeing you harvest this stolen artifact and rejoice in the new growth this season.