+ Add a Comment

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk

Ok, so it took me like a minute to figure out how to even start this thread (since the switch)... yes, I'm that slow.

Sparky is talking about coming May 30th (the weekend AFTER Memorial Day)

Sparky also wants us to be conformists, so here's the official template:

Denver #3. Last Update: 05/29/09

THE Date: May 30th. The weekend AFTER Memorial Day

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: Spanish Varietals
DATE: 5/30/2009
TIME: TBD Wine tasting at 6:00 pm?

Attendees: (so far)

1. MarkDaSpark - 2007 Bodegas Olivares Altos de la Hoya, a Monastrell.
+ Also a 2006 Vinícola del Priorat Priorat Ònix Clássic, a 50/50 blend of Grenache and Cariñena (Carignan).
2. NonnaWY (maybe +1, 2, or 3) - Real de Aragon Garnacha 2007
3. JudyL1118
4. Joelsisk - 2006 Dominio de Eguren Vino de la Tierra de Castilla Protocolo
5. MichelleShari - 2005 Castoro Cellars Tempranillo Reserve from wine.woot.
6. Moondragon - N.V. Pedro Romero Amontillado Medium Dry Jerez-Xérès-Sherry
7. 8. Lauratchi (+Joel)
9. 10. Mr. & Mrs. WineWootaholic - Rinfrescante, a Ruby Port, and a White Port that's made from Pinot Gris
11. 12. laurmom (+ NDH)
13. 14.Iceeblue7 (+SWMBO)
15. 16. GeorgeDLR (+Misti)

MAYBES:

1. Nostrom0

MIA:
3. DinkumThinkum
6. sk8ybike
7. llewdis

REGRETS:
Our Token Latino - JavaDrinker
LurkerDan
nmsoonergirl
Tenuki
Our Token Woot Employee - Gatzby
* everyone who misses this one

JudyL1118

quality posts: 2 Private Messages JudyL1118
joelsisk wrote:Ok, so it took me like a minute to figure out how to even start this thread (since the switch)... yes, I'm that slow.

Who is in?

Well, first -- you robbed me of the statement I made about starting the thread.

Secondly -- For me, the get-together needs to be towards the earlier part of the suggested time-frame. I have to travel to Texas for graduations (nephews=no getting out of); and still not have been cleared to fly yet by May.

Thirdly -- If we can get the right weekend, I'll be more than happy to take over for a change. If not Denver, perhaps lovely Fort Collins for a different venue? I can still get a great party established here.

I have a huge projector screen and karaoke in my basement! Also wii - complete with rock band!

Fourth -- I know for a fact some of our neighboring states want to come to a CO party, but I expect they're going to run into the same difficulty with dates that I'm going to have.

Fifth -- If we change the "official date" of the get-together, those not otherwise obligated can still meet up with Sparky and Laura - I'd be willing to delay my plans, and add stress to my travel just to meet them!

Chatter and feedback required soon, so that we can set the wheels in motion!

Who hides behind that wine.woot user name?
Please post a quick bio on Getting to Know You
Join us on Facebook, too!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joelsisk wrote:Ok, so it took me like a minute to figure out how to even start this thread (since the switch)... yes, I'm that slow.

Who is in?

I think we've all started to use the following format for the beginning post on a wine.woot gathering thread, so people can find the info quickly (which also means you have to update it as well):

Denver #x. Last Update: 0x/xx/09 x:xx am

The floor is open to suggestions on themes.

THE Date: May 30th.

OK, here is the updated "Living, Breathing Document". Remember it can change; it is not set in stone. Just post your correction and it will be updated.

THEME: TBD for wine
DATE: 5/30/2009
TIME: TBD Wine tasting at 6:00 pm?

Attendees: (so far)

MAYBES:
REGRETS:

• everyone who misses this one

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

JudyL1118 wrote:Well, first -- you robbed me of the statement I made about starting the thread.

Secondly -- For me, the get-together needs to be towards the earlier part of the suggested time-frame. I have to travel to Texas for graduations (nephews=no getting out of); and still not have been cleared to fly yet by May.

Thirdly -- If we can get the right weekend, I'll be more than happy to take over for a change. If not Denver, perhaps lovely Fort Collins for a different venue? I can still get a great party established here.

I have a huge projector screen and karaoke in my basement! Also wii - complete with rock band!

Fourth -- I know for a fact some of our neighboring states want to come to a CO party, but I expect they're going to run into the same difficulty with dates that I'm going to have.

Fifth -- If we change the "official date" of the get-together, those not otherwise obligated can still meet up with Sparky and Laura - I'd be willing to delay my plans, and add stress to my travel just to meet them!

Okay, what dates are good for you? Early May is not for me, since I will be going to Buffalo the end of April. Middle of May is a Dallas summit.

I could also make it in June, in the early part.

And we could probably get Java to come as well with the Wii ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk

JudyL1118 wrote:Well, first -- you robbed me of the statement I made about starting the thread.

sorry, created this before your post in the pub... see what I get for trying to cave in to the pressure?

no problem for us... though we won't be able to attend if it's a Friday night... especially the weekend of 30 May as that's Shavuot (well the end of it anyway), but in general we don't go out on Friday evenings.

I'm all for it. Michelle goes up to FtC on occasion as she's an adviser for her sorority, kappa kappa gamma (actually at both CSU and CU).

yup. and some are much closer to you (NonnaWY)

okie dokey.

JudyL1118

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, what dates are good for you? Early May is not for me, since I will be going to Buffalo the end of April. Middle of May is a Dallas summit.

I could also make it in June, in the early part.

And we could probably get Java to come as well with the Wii ....

First TX graduation is June 5th, so I'm hoping May 30th. In addition, that's also when a lot of visitors start to visit Colorado...

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think we've all started to use the following format for the beginning post on a wine.woot gathering thread, so people can find the info quickly (which also means you have to update it as well):
blah blah blah conformity blah

fine. more caving from Joel.

joelsisk

and to be sure, we could have one BEFORE end of May if folks want... though with the Colorado (and neighboring states) crowd, it's a slow process... so maybe 2-3 months pre-planning is good.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:fine. more caving from Joel.

But ... but .... but .... you didn't use the pretty bold .... or the special images ..... and .... and .... oh nevermind .....

:sparky sobbing:

NonnaWY

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NonnaWY

May 30th is good for us. Put me down for 2, maybe more as the DD loves to drag friends along. Our red-headed friend from Utah may be able to come, he's currently in Iraq but might be back by then.

Judy, check your PMs. I left you a message a few weeks back....

I will drink no wine before it's time. What time is it, anyway?

Here's to the corkscrew - a useful key to unlock the storehouse of wit, the treasury of laughter, the front door of fellowship, and the gate of pleasant folly.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

As I said before, the DH and I are in CO for a wedding on Sunday 5/31 in Woodland Park. We could most like make a 5/30 tasting, but of course at this point nothing is 100%.

We'd be happy to attend something were it to coincide with us being out that way. That being said please plan your event around what works best for you Coloradans. (is that word correct?)

Somewhere en route we are going to find some breweries for the DH to do a little tasting.

It will be fun to see how this develops.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

JudyL1118

Woodland Park? Have you ever been back in "them thar hills?"

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
JudyL1118 wrote:Woodland Park? Have you ever been back in "them thar hills?"

Ayup. I had a 10 plus year run when I was out 2 or 3 times a year visiting my friends. I watched the kids (aka groom of 5/31) play football thru Jr High and HS. Actually first met the groom when he was a tender and precious kindergarten student.

And it's more like up in them thar hills at 8600 ft of altitude.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
lauratchi wrote:Ayup. I had a 10 plus year run when I was out 2 or 3 times a year visiting my friends. I watched the kids (aka groom of 5/31) play football thru Jr High and HS. Actually first met the groom when he was a tender and precious kindergarten student.

And it's more like up in them thar hills at 8600 ft of altitude.

Hmmm. Anyone want to split gas with me to fly out there? Java?

Stash at CT

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
Nostrom0 wrote:Hmmm. Anyone want to split gas with me to fly out there? Java?

Dagnabit...just when I was about to complain about always getting lumped into the "maybe" category for every gathering that Sparky shows up to.

So...how much we guestimating for that?

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Dagnabit...just when I was about to complain about always getting lumped into the "maybe" category for every gathering that Sparky shows up to.

You were a "maybe", because didn't know if you could make it .... hon

And you are usually an automatic YES for SoCal events.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:fine. more caving from Joel.

And did I mention how pleased I am with the title ??

I really do like the title Joel gave it !!!!

Can you tell?

Thank you Joel for making my month!

(now to bring something nice for him .... hmmmm)

Nostrom0

quality posts: 13 Private Messages Nostrom0
javadrinker wrote:Dagnabit...just when I was about to complain about always getting lumped into the "maybe" category for every gathering that Sparky shows up to.

I looked at a map, and there were all these pointy things along the west side of denver. Almost look like mountains

So not terribly direct, through Las Vegas, NM, 10 hours flight time each way at $40/hour. Room for 2 passengers.

Stash at CT

joelsisk

Nostrom0 wrote:I looked at a map, and there were all these pointy things along the west side of denver. Almost look like mountains

So not terribly direct, through Las Vegas, NM, 10 hours flight time each way at $40/hour. Room for 2 passengers.

not to dampen your enthusiasm for more flight hours (as a private pilot myself, I understand), but LAX-DEN flights were recently running $139 roundtrip on United, and about the same (or a bit less depending) on Southwest. So even with a full 4-seater (C172 or equivalent), you're talking $200 each. However, there are always the benes of your own schedule, not going through security, flying into/out of better airports (Jefferson County for downtown Denver or Loveland for Ft Collins)

javadrinker

Nostrom0 wrote:I looked at a map, and there were all these pointy things along the west side of denver. Almost look like mountains

Yeah, a little out of my price range this go around. Plus Joel makes some good points about the affordability of flights to Denver right now. Hell, I might even have a free RT SWA ticket by the time this shindig rolls around. But I am definitely up for something like this for closer events. Maybe another Vegas event.

JudyL1118

joelsisk wrote:not to dampen your enthusiasm for more flight hours (as a private pilot myself, I understand), but LAX-DEN flights were recently running $139 roundtrip on United, and about the same (or a bit less depending) on Southwest. So even with a full 4-seater (C172 or equivalent), you're talking $200 each. However, there are always the benes of your own schedule, not going through security, flying into/out of better airports (Jefferson County for downtown Denver or Loveland for Ft Collins)

My Father-in-Law usually flies in to the Loveland/Fort Collins airport. It's pretty nice. And, I'm close enough to pick you up!

javadrinker

joelsisk wrote:not to dampen your enthusiasm for more flight hours (as a private pilot myself, I understand), but LAX-DEN flights were recently running $139 roundtrip on United, and about the same (or a bit less depending) on Southwest. So even with a full 4-seater (C172 or equivalent), you're talking $200 each. However, there are always the benes of your own schedule, not going through security, flying into/out of better airports (Jefferson County for downtown Denver or Loveland for Ft Collins)

Yup, seems like an all-out fare war for flights to Denver:

http://www.smartertravel.com/airfare/denver-sale-from-southwest.html?id=2849113

Of course there are restrictions (aren't there always) but it seems like it's gonna be fairly cheap for out of staters to come visit youse guys.

JudyL1118

The only problem I'm having with this is the date!

I'm not 100% sure I can commit...

I know we need to pick a date and plan, but the end of May? Ick! Sparky - what does the rest of your schedule look like, from now until say.....July?

joelsisk

javadrinker wrote:Yup, seems like an all-out fare war for flights to Denver:

http://www.smartertravel.com/airfare/denver-sale-from-southwest.html?id=2849113

Of course there are restrictions (aren't there always) but it seems like it's gonna be fairly cheap for out of staters to come visit youse guys.

awesome. Talk to Sparky, he's got the hookup for free hotel rooms.

javadrinker

joelsisk wrote:awesome. Talk to Sparky, he's got the hookup for free hotel rooms.

Easy...let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And...um...so is Michelle a no show at her own party? She's not even listed as a maybe...doh.

joelsisk

javadrinker wrote:Easy...let's not get ahead of ourselves.

And...um...so is Michelle a no show at her own party? She's not even listed as a maybe...doh.

well, since we don't actually have a date yet... she may be at a bachelorette party in Chicago... it's hard to say... and while we're happy to have it at our place again, I'm not so sure everyone else wants to drive out here, though we're really close to the airport.

MarkDaSpark

JudyL1118 wrote:The only problem I'm having with this is the date!

I'm not 100% sure I can commit...

I know we need to pick a date and plan, but the end of May? Ick! Sparky - what does the rest of your schedule look like, from now until say.....July?

June will be bad. July bad as well.

April has a summit in Dallas, plus Buffalo.

The nice thing about the 30th was that Laura & Joel would also be in town from Chi-town, and might be able to make it as well.

MarkDaSpark

joelsisk wrote:awesome. Talk to Sparky, he's got the hookup for free hotel rooms.

Just for me, since my cousin runs the hotel. Never been there.

joelsisk

MarkDaSpark wrote:Just for me, since my cousin runs the hotel. Never been there.

wait, so all of a sudden you are NOT willing to share a room? Even with your man-buddy Java?

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari
joelsisk wrote:well, since we don't actually have a date yet... she may be at a bachelorette party in Chicago... it's hard to say... and while we're happy to have it at our place again, I'm not so sure everyone else wants to drive out here, though we're really close to the airport.

1) NOT my party. I did the other 2... remember? This is Joel's baby. And others. But not mine. SOMEONE in our household has to work.

2) I SHOULD be listed as a maybe. No matter that we don't have a date and I may be at the bachelorette (aka, Tequilathon 2009) in Chicago. Until I know for certain, I'm a maybe. Joel - fix it!

That's all for now - Thanks for looking out for me Sparky! Back to work with me.

Check out our cellar

javadrinker

michelleshari wrote:1) NOT my party. I did the other 2... remember? This is Joel's baby. And others. But not mine. SOMEONE in our household has to work.

2) I SHOULD be listed as a maybe. No matter that we don't have a date and I may be at the bachelorette (aka, Tequilathon 2009) in Chicago. Until I know for certain, I'm a maybe. Joel - fix it!

That's all for now - Thanks for looking out for me Sparky! Back to work with me.

Thanks Sparky? Thanks Sparky ?!?!?!?!?

Joel...keep her off the list.

JudyL1118

michelleshari wrote:1) NOT my party. I did the other 2... remember? This is Joel's baby. And others. But not mine. SOMEONE in our household has to work.

I have a question...Joel said you guys had a conflict the weekend of May 30th. Was it a religious holiday or something? I need to know if you two will be free that weekend at all.

Yeah, I was hoping to help/host this one - but time is going to be an issue. But! Something cool just happened in Fort Collins...they opened a Rodizio Grill! Normally, when I have a party at my house, I just get a caterer...I HATE to cook.

joelsisk

JudyL1118 wrote:I have a question...Joel said you guys had a conflict the weekend of May 30th. Was it a religious holiday or something? I need to know if you two will be free that weekend at all.

Yeah, I was hoping to help/host this one - but time is going to be an issue. But! Something cool just happened in Fort Collins...they opened a Rodizio Grill! Normally, when I have a party at my house, I just get a caterer...I HATE to cook.

religious stuff is Friday nights in general and there's another holiday on 28/29th which requires me to stay up all night. Sat nights are ok. May 30th weekend, Michelle may or may not be at a bachelorette in Chicago. Whether she is or is not shouldn't affect the tasting or whether it needs to be at our place... though obviously we'd prefer her there. (that good enough Sweetie?) Bottom line, nothing absolute against any of the dates.

JudyL1118

If Saturday is May 31st....maybe we should just set that date and go with it. Laura and Joel have to be at the wedding on the 31st, but maybe some of us can meet them for lunch or something the next day. Laura's not too sure of their schedule right now, and may not even have time to visit with us.

If we decide to go with the 31st, we can work out time and place by the end of this month. I've got quite a bit going on right now. Marine daughter is in hospital in San Diego, and we're going out there ASAP. Don't know for sure how long, but as hubby needs to keep job, it won't be for more than a couple of weeks at the longest.

That sound ok?

joelsisk

JudyL1118 wrote:If Saturday is May 31st....maybe we should just set that date and go with it. Laura and Joel have to be at the wedding on the 31st, but maybe some of us can meet them for lunch or something the next day. Laura's not too sure of their schedule right now, and may not even have time to visit with us.

If we decide to go with the 31st, we can work out time and place by the end of this month. I've got quite a bit going on right now. Marine daughter is in hospital in San Diego, and we're going out there ASAP. Don't know for sure how long, but as hubby needs to keep job, it won't be for more than a couple of weeks at the longest.

That sound ok?

that Saturday is May 30.

If you're flying United (which may or may not be cheapest) let me know and I'll see if I can score you an upgrade!

JudyL1118

joelsisk wrote:that Saturday is May 30.

If you're flying United (which may or may not be cheapest) let me know and I'll see if I can score you an upgrade!

Too late, we're going SW..

But now that I know someone....you're on my who to call list!

joelsisk

JudyL1118 wrote:Too late, we're going SW..

But now that I know someone....you're on my who to call list!

Please do! It's one of the few ways I get to support the troops and their families. Of course, it doesn't always work out, but there's no harm in trying!

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari
joelsisk wrote:Whether she is or is not shouldn't affect the tasting or whether it needs to be at our place... though obviously we'd prefer her there. (that good enough Sweetie?)

Close enough. You're coming along well. Another few years oughta do it.

Check out our cellar

JudyL1118

OK...this is what I think.....Let's just set the date for Saturday, May 30th. I'd like to host it this time, if that's ok with all?

Once I get back, I'll start looking into time, place, etc...By the end of March for sure.

Will that work out?

MarkDaSpark

JudyL1118 wrote:OK...this is what I think.....Let's just set the date for Saturday, May 30th. I'd like to host it this time, if that's ok with all?

Once I get back, I'll start looking into time, place, etc...By the end of March for sure.

Will that work out?

Works for me. I'll book my flights and talk to my cousin.

Thanks Judy!