zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

As previously mentioned in the thread for #10, Imagine, Layne and I are heading out for some Thai at the end of the week. The place is Opart Thai in Lincoln Square. As Imagine stated, nothing formal, but all are invited. So I figured get an idea of what day works best and I can give them a heads up if we end up with a sizable group. Since this is her 'send off' dinner I asked Imagine what date works and she is flexible for either Thursday the 19th or Friday the 20th. The restaurant is BYOB and just off the Brown Line. Preferences?

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

snk


quality posts: 0 Private Messages snk

Sorry, we won't be able to make it. We will both be working on Friday evening. Have fun though!

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Guess it will just be the 3 of us? Friday sounds good to me!

Walstib


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

We'd like to join, if the invitation still stands.

Also, don't want to ruffle any feathers, but have you folks ever tried TAC Quick? (Link to discussion and food pics)(link to menu) Also BYO thai and we've liked it better than Opart. (It's steps from the Sheridan Red Line Stop.)

Just an idea. Not that there is anything wrong with Opart, and we're still coming if it is somebody's favorite place or something.

What time Friday are you guys thinking, anyway?

cjsiege


quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

Do you all have a time on Friday? I'd like to put it on the w.w events calendar.

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Walstib wrote:We'd like to join, if the invitation still stands.

Also, don't want to ruffle any feathers, but have you folks ever tried TAC Quick? (Link to discussion and food pics)(link to menu) Also BYO thai and we've liked it better than Opart. (It's steps from the Sheridan Red Line Stop.)

Just an idea. Not that there is anything wrong with Opart, and we're still coming if it is somebody's favorite place or something.

What time Friday are you guys thinking, anyway?



I picked Opart Thai, it's my favorite and I haven't been in awhile and would like to go before I leave

You are more than welcome! I still have your cooler (and something extra) and will bring it with me.

I don't think we picked a time, I'm pretty flexible so I'll leave it up to the rest of you.

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

Due to Layne's arrival from work I would guesstimate after 7pm at the earliest. I will send him this thread so he can clarify tomorrow morning as he is sleeping now.

Any suggestions for the final B in the BYOB? I do not think I have paired wine and Thai before, so I will not turn down a little help with that.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

lauratchi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
zorandra wrote:Due to Layne's arrival from work I would guesstimate after 7pm at the earliest. I will send him this thread so he can clarify tomorrow morning as he is sleeping now.

Any suggestions for the final B in the BYOB? I do not think I have paired wine and Thai before, so I will not turn down a little help with that.



Spicy Thai can go really well with some Rieslings (thinking the drier ones). Try posting this in the Drinking and (IM)Pairing thread for other opinions.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra
lauratchi wrote:Spicy Thai can go really well with some Rieslings (thinking the drier ones). Try posting this in the Drinking and (IM)Pairing thread for other opinions.



Thanks for the starting point. Will you and Joel not be able to make it Friday then?

And, in case Joel is not aware, tell him to check out the beer tasting that is going on this Saturday at Delilah's - Vintage Strong Beer Fest 2009.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

lauratchi


quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
zorandra wrote:Thanks for the starting point. Will you and Joel not be able to make it Friday then?

And, in case Joel is not aware, tell him to check out the beer tasting that is going on this Saturday at Delilah's - Vintage Strong Beer Fest 2009.



No, we can't make it. I start work at 7pm on Fridays. Thanks for the beer tip.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

Walstib


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
Imagine4vr wrote:I picked Opart Thai, it's my favorite and I haven't been in awhile and would like to go before I leave



That's an excellent reason to go there then. Opart it is.

We are pretty flexible on time, so will wait to hear from Layne.

Agree that Riesling can work well, as can Gewurztraminer. Though lately I've been liking beer with Thai. Is that allowed at a quasi-c.w.w.t.?

baniak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak
zorandra wrote:Due to Layne's arrival from work I would guesstimate after 7pm at the earliest. I will send him this thread so he can clarify tomorrow morning as he is sleeping now.



Since, I work off of the Brown Line, and Opart is pretty much in the Western stop, I could actually be there by 6:30.

- Layne



zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra
Walstib wrote:That's an excellent reason to go there then. Opart it is.

We are pretty flexible on time, so will wait to hear from Layne.

Agree that Riesling can work well, as can Gewurztraminer. Though lately I've been liking beer with Thai. Is that allowed at a quasi-c.w.w.t.?



We will call the B in BYOB the traditional Bring Your Own Bottle(s). Whether they be wine or beer is up to you. Want to try to 'sort of' coordinate in case anyone wants to share beverages? Layne and I are in the mood for beer, too, but are happy to do the communal thing with whatever we bring.

And for time how does 630pm sound? I will probably end up in the area early as I will be coming directly from work but I will keep Lincoln Square warm for everyone.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

baniak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak
zorandra wrote:
And for time how does 630pm sound? I will probably end up in the area early as I will be coming directly from work but I will keep Lincoln Square warm for everyone.



You could go to the Brauhaus and get a boot of beer!

Walstib


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
zorandra wrote:We will call the B in BYOB the traditional Bring Your Own Bottle(s). Whether they be wine or beer is up to you. Want to try to 'sort of' coordinate in case anyone wants to share beverages? Layne and I are in the mood for beer, too, but are happy to do the communal thing with whatever we bring.

And for time how does 630pm sound? I will probably end up in the area early as I will be coming directly from work but I will keep Lincoln Square warm for everyone.



6:30 sounds good to me. As for the beverage issue, we'll bring some beer and will be happy to share. Let me know if you want to coordinate more than that. Oh, and if Imagine hates beer, I could be persuaded to bring and drink wine. (Twist my arm.)

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Walstib wrote:6:30 sounds good to me. As for the beverage issue, we'll bring some beer and will be happy to share. Let me know if you want to coordinate more than that. Oh, and if Imagine hates beer, I could be persuaded to bring and drink wine. (Twist my arm.)



6:30 is good for me too. I don't drink beer, but don't let that stop the rest of you. I'll bring a Riesling or the Gewurtz I have.

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Imagine4vr wrote:6:30 is good for me too. I don't drink beer, but don't let that stop the rest of you. I'll bring a Riesling or the Gewurtz I have.



Just bumping in case anyone else would like to join us tonight, 630pm at Opart Thai Restaurant on Western Ave in the city.

I'll be bringing the V. Sattui Dry Reisling that was on woot awhile back.

See everyone tonight!

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra
Walstib wrote:6:30 sounds good to me. As for the beverage issue, we'll bring some beer and will be happy to share. Let me know if you want to coordinate more than that. Oh, and if Imagine hates beer, I could be persuaded to bring and drink wine. (Twist my arm.)



What kind of beer you going to bring? I do believe Layne is stopping near work for a Pilsner - my backup idea was something 'wheaty' maybe like Bell's. And I am sure we could also be persuaded to drink wine and beer, would not be the first time. ;) Depending on the weather I could wander the area in search of another bottle of wine should we want/need one - probably better than drinking a boot of beer at Brauhaus.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra
Imagine4vr wrote:Just bumping in case anyone else would like to join us tonight, 630pm at Opart Thai Restaurant on Western Ave in the city.

I'll be bringing the V. Sattui Dry Reisling that was on woot awhile back.

See everyone tonight!



I am glad you are talking about wine on this thread - I feel kind of 'bad' with all this beer talk.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
zorandra wrote:What kind of beer you going to bring? I do believe Layne is stopping near work for a Pilsner - my backup idea was something 'wheaty' maybe like Bell's. And I am sure we could also be persuaded to drink wine and beer, would not be the first time. ;) Depending on the weather I could wander the area in search of another bottle of wine should we want/need one - probably better than drinking a boot of beer at Brauhaus.



Drink wine with me and beer with the rest, it's all good! I'd bring another bottle, but those boxes are now packed and sealed.

edit: Isn't there a liquor store right on the same block? Maybe I'll stop on the way and pick another bottle.

Walstib


quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

Pilsner sounds great. That V. Sattui Riesling sounds great too. I have no idea what I'm going to bring. I'm stumped.

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Walstib wrote:Pilsner sounds great. That V. Sattui Riesling sounds great too. I have no idea what I'm going to bring. I'm stumped.



Gelato?!

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra
Imagine4vr wrote:Gelato?!



Luckily I am alone in the office because I ahuhu'd at the idea of us showing up with our bottles of wine and beer - and our own dessert.

Waitstaff: Would you like to see a dessert menu?
Us: Oh, no thank you, we have brought our own. If you could please bring it from the freezer now, thanks!

Guess this is the 'almost last minute' bump. We are at 5 for our current headcount? Let me know if I miscounted...

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

baniak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak
Imagine4vr wrote:
edit: Isn't there a liquor store right on the same block? Maybe I'll stop on the way and pick another bottle.



You don't need to bring any more wine. We'll bring it.

But, yes, there is a liquor store nearby - Cardinal liquor - we could pop up there if we run out!

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra
baniak wrote:
there is a liquor store nearby - Cardinal liquor - we could pop up there if we run out!



There is actually one just on the corner.

Ok, I am officially done here see everyone tonight!

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

As always a good time! Wine, beer, food and great company. I will miss hangin' out with all of you.

After dinner, we went into the liquor store on the corner; what an interesting selection of wines and older wines too. I picked up a 2000 Kunde Zinfandel that we brought back to my place to drink, and it was just yummy.

Thanks again for the fun time

zorandra


quality posts: 5 Private Messages zorandra

-- oops, I posted as the wrong person -- baniak.

I don't want the world, I just want your half. - TMBG, "Ana Ng"
CT (working on it)

baniak


quality posts: 0 Private Messages baniak
Imagine4vr wrote:As always a good time! Wine, beer, food and great company. I will miss hangin' out with all of you.

After dinner, we went into the liquor store on the corner; what an interesting selection of wines and older wines too. I picked up a 2000 Kunde Zinfandel that we brought back to my place to drink, and it was just yummy.

Thanks again for the fun time



I had a great time, too! We will miss you! Hope you have a safe and easy move to AZ, and maybe we'll see you this summer.

Imagine4vr


quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
baniak wrote:I had a great time, too! We will miss you! Hope you have a safe and easy move to AZ, and maybe we'll see you this summer.



Glad to see you're typing, I guess that means your finger is okay