Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Crank open your see-holes, 'cause the time draws near for the Wine.Woot video chat with Eric Titus of Titus Vineyards. He'll spend a solid hour answering all your Titus-related questions, except for those that may compromise national security. Click on the video below at 12:30 PM Central time (1:30 Eastern, 11:30 Mountain, 10:30 Pacific) to start talkin' Titus!

Free TV : Ustream

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Oh, if only I could ustream from work...

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
Loweeel wrote:Oh, if only I could ustream from work...

Seriously. *sighs* oh well.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Loweeel

Jason, will this be recorded so we can watch it after work? Thanks!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

this is wayyy tooo cool!!!!

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
Loweeel wrote:Jason, will this be recorded so we can watch it after work? Thanks!

ustream, home of the puppies!

I wonder if there's a way for me to record it from the livestream?

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

coming through loud and clear in san diego..

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

boaz38

quality posts: 2 Private Messages boaz38

emily, your mic is on..........fyi

tkastorff

boaz38 wrote:emily, your mic is on..........fyi

yeah pretty funny to listen to the last 10 mins or so ...

Loweeel

Cross-posted from main thread:

EmilyTitusVineyards wrote:We'll be taking questions from both Wine Woot and U-Stream - we like options

Alright, here we go.

Tell me everything you can about your PS!

1. Your website says that you used to source from others, but now grow your own. Or which sub-appellation(s) in Napa Valley? -- the website says it's 40 acres just north of St. Helena. (I personally like the Silverado Trail side much better than the Rt. 29 side, less traffic and it's prettier, and much less touristy) Do you use everything you grow, or do you source to others? And if so, whom?

2. Your website also says that you decided to plant your own PS after sourcing from others for many years. How old are your PS vines? Which clone(s) did you choose and how did you make this choice?

3. What sort of toast do you use on the new (33%) and 2-yr old (67%) (at least for the 2006), which the 2006 PS aged in? How did you determine that 19 months was an appropriate aging time?

4. I was one of the woot labrats for the 2004 Lot 1 and loved it. As a PS aficionado, and having previously tried the Michael-David Petite Petit, it was a very interesting experience. How would you compare the 2005 to the '04 in terms of the Lot 1?

5. Similarly, I have a (as-yet unopened) 2005 Titus PS. How would you compare the '06?

6. Your website suggests not aging your PS for longer than 10 years. Is that from vintage or from release? Emily has, during the Lot 1 offering, suggested that the Lot 1 will age for up to 12-15 years.

7. We had Kent Rasmussen on here, share his many experiences with very old and aged petite sirah:

KRWINE wrote:Kent here
It seems to me that Petite Sirah is one of the most interesting wines when it comes to the issue of aging and drinking. Young PS is big, rich, usually pretty tannic and above all full of luscious fruit. Funnily enough, unlike a Cab. Sauv., even though they are structurally huge, they are still very drinkable when they are young—mostly because of the charm of all the wonderful fruit. Once a PS is about 10-15 years old it usually starts to go through a “dumb” phase as it loses it’s fruit, but then when they get really old – 20-25 years they come around again like no other wine I have ever had….wonderful rich Bordeaux-like complexity…tons of that cedar-cigar box character that you always associate with really nice old clarets. So my recommend is drink them young or let them sit forever—most PS have the structure to handle the age.
What made me “an expert” on old PS: A few years ago there was a small wine shop in the San Francisco Bay Area that bought people’s cellars. He also bought our wine, but unfortunately, while the fellow who ran the shop was a nice guy, he didn’t pay his bills. One day I was in the shop (collecting a bill) and he had dozens of bottles from the late 1960s to about 1980 of California PS on a table…I said…why? And he told me that when he resold the wine he bought from collections he could never get anyone to take the PS. I made a deal with him that we would trade a bottle of our wine for a bottle of PS…he got something he could sell and I got paid. Over the course of the next year or so (before the IRS caught him) we traded about a hundred bottles and Celia and I had old old PS for dinner several nights each week. These were the great old fathers of PS…Concannon, Burgess, Freemark Abbey, Ridge, and so on. Other than an occasional corky bottle we never had a single one that was “over the hill”. It was a treat and a rare opportunity to learn about old PS.

Do you have any similar experiences with PS that old? What is your take on its aging profile and "dumb period(s)"?

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

jwink

quality posts: 39 Private Messages jwink

WD This is so amazing...cant wait for the next one. To get into the mind of the winemaker and understand exactly what they are all about is amazing...

Follow me on Twitter
Blooging away

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla

I just logged on a few minutes ago. I love this format...it makes this so much more personal. Just wish I had a glass of Titus in front of me to sample at the same time...

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

tkastorff

man i would love to see some Titus ZIN on woot

tkastorff

damn I think I have to buy a set now ... despite having a plethora of Cabs...

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

That was awesome. Thank you so much to WD, the Woot Staff, & the folks at Titus for setting this up!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

I'm not sure if this will be archived at all. WD39, you know the answer to that?

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

So I take it that this was done with Titus TV setup, not a woot thing? It looks like Titus has done this before.

If this is a mobile wine.woot service, though, I look forward to seeing more wineries participate like this in the future. Very very cool!

CT | | | | | |

javadrinker

quality posts: 5 Private Messages javadrinker
jwhite6114 wrote:So I take it that this was done with Titus TV setup, not a woot thing? It looks like Titus has done this before.

If this is a mobile wine.woot service, though, I look forward to seeing more wineries participate like this in the future. Very very cool!

This is something Titus has been doing for awhile I think. You can find their archived stuff here:

http://www.ustream.tv/Titus_TV

I don't know if you'll need an account at Ustream for that. I ran across Titus' stuff after they did some posting during a GV Ustream.

Edit: Doesn't look like they've added the stream from today though.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

Loweeel

Here's something similar tonight, for the 2005 lot 1!

http://www.openwineconsortium.org/events/event/show?id=2000748%3AEvent%3A89813

CT ¬ PSychos' Path