quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare

GRIND Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder - Gift Week
$34.99 + $5 shipping
condition: New
product: 1 GRIND Stainless Salt and Pepper Grinder

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

I can't even think of anyone I might give this too. My mom might be the only person, but even her spending $40 on a salt-n-pepper grinder....don't really see what's all so special about it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG

Looks pretty nice... already have a set of grinders, though... why am I still tempted?

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

Cesare

quality posts: 1617 Private Messages Cesare

Loweeel FTW!

First sucker: Loweeel
Speed to first woot: 0m 43.017s

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

johannafin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages johannafin

How does this work? Is it battery operated?

44 Wine Woots; 17 Woots (6 woot off wines)

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
johannafin wrote:
How does this work? Is it battery operated?

They're retro - You use your thumb(!) to push the plunger on top and it grinds out a portion.

mjc613

quality posts: 48 Private Messages mjc613

Waiters walk around offering fresh ground pepper, and I always think "why not fresh ground salt?". Have to figure out if we would use this. The price is not bad, but only if these won't be collecting dust.

UncleFroG

quality posts: 3 Private Messages UncleFroG
johannafin wrote:How does this work? Is it battery operated?

Just a little "Pump n' Grind"!!!

12 Bags of Crap and counting!

neverclever

quality posts: 0 Private Messages neverclever
UncleFroG wrote:Just a little "Pump n' Grind"!!!

I don't see nothing wrong, with a little.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Eh, I needed grinders. I figured it's a good price for a nice set. Certainly much nicer-looking than the pre-packaged Costco ones.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jrebeccat

quality posts: 1 Private Messages jrebeccat

Costco has the red and black versions for the same price.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11307232

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Anyone know what these things retail for as a comparison? Or any other comparisons for similar products?

Also, WD how big of a bag of the "Tellicherry peppercorns and Australian sea salt" comes with the order? I'm assuming it's just a tiny amount of each to tease us?

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

solarfish42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages solarfish42

I am a chef, I have a pair of these in my home, and...

... I hate them.

I find that my thumb will start to cramp before I can get any meaningful amount of salt and or pepper out of either of them.

Good gift if you want something that looks pretty on the table, horrible gift to give to someone who appreciates functionality. I could only see these being practical for a one handed person, and then there are battery powered options that are more functional

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
jrebeccat wrote:Costco has the red and black versions for the same price.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/ProductSet.aspx?Prodid=11307232

Interesting. The stainless version here is of course much nicer and theoretically much more expensive at retail.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm

A little background info: Our daughter picked out a set of these for WD for Christmas last year and he LOVES them. Whenever we have guests over they like them and end up getting a set for themselves. There's just something cool about them. They don't take up much space, but still give you a good, fresh grind. I always think of Star Trek TNG when Dr. Beverly would give shots. These remind me of those. (TMI?)

Happy Gift Week!
Winefarm

speedoo

quality posts: 41 Private Messages speedoo
solarfish42 wrote:I am a chef, I have a pair of these in my home, and...

... I hate them.

I find that my thumb will start to cramp before I can get any meaningful amount of salt and or pepper out of either of them.

So the obvious question: why not just use two hands when you need more?

(no snark intended, I'd just be interested!)

dave bug

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dave bug
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Anyone know what these things retail for as a comparison? Or any other comparisons for similar products?

Also, WD how big of a bag of the "Tellicherry peppercorns and Australian sea salt" comes with the order? I'm assuming it's just a tiny amount of each to tease us?

Yeah, just a tease. The salt and pepper you see in that pic is pretty much what was contained in the bags we got for the photoshoot. At least it's cheaper to refill these than those printers we sell on the other site.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
HitAnyKey42 wrote:
Anyone know what these things retail for as a comparison? Or any other comparisons for similar products?

I just looked at these a couple of weeks ago and think they were retailing for $50 or $55 at the local Oil & Vinegar. We tried looking on their website but apparently they aren't listed.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm
winefarm wrote:A little background info: Our daughter picked out a set of these for WD for Christmas last year and he LOVES them. Whenever we have guests over they like them and end up getting a set for themselves. There's just something cool about them. They don't take up much space, but still give you a good, fresh grind. I always think of Star Trek TNG when Dr. Beverly would give shots. These remind me of those. (TMI?)

Happy Gift Week!
Winefarm

A couple of restaurants we frequent have these. I like them very much, and would get them if we didn't already have both salt and pepper mills that SWMBO likes better (I know because we discussed getting a set of these when we saw them in a restaurant). I do think these would be better for table use than for use in grinding larger quantities of either salt or pepper in food preparation.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Found these on the Grind Web site for $50.
Add $9.00 to ship to Ohio.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

You can use these to grind other spices too if needed. Like Juniper berries.

See what I did there? Tied in the previous offer to this one. Am I witty or what...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

Jaimz11785

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Jaimz11785

...did you just say fresh ground salt?

jgoodric

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgoodric

Saw these at a farmer's market here in San Diego (Little Italy) and thought they were pretty cool. I was tempted to buy but did not. I think this size was close to $50 (they had smaller ones that cost less). May have to go in on this one since I was thinking of buying a couple for gifts.

jokofoto

quality posts: 4 Private Messages jokofoto

I thought that ceramic grinding mechanisms were better for salt grinders?

dixondb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages dixondb

These are great grinders, I bought a set in the wine country a couple of years ago. They look great on the table, and the thumb operated push-down mechanism works well. However, two things: 1) They are SMALL, these are table grinders not very useful for cooking and 2) This really is not much of a discount over what I paid at a winery in Napa.....

bluefish0124

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bluefish0124

I have this set and paid a lot more for it. This company is great, the girls who run it are
very cool.

get one, or three...

One Fish Two Fish: Redfish----you get the idea!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
cheron98 wrote:You can use these to grind other spices too if needed. Like Juniper berries.

See what I did there? Tied in the previous offer to this one. Am I witty or what...

I expect you to continue this through all 14...

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

I'm confused, I thought the second deal of the day was going to be wine. Is there going to be any wine this week? And before you start yelling at me: no, I wasn't paying attention when we went over this in class.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
uhoerhold wrote:I'm confused, I thought the second deal of the day was going to be wine. Is there going to be any wine this week? And before you start yelling at me: no, I wasn't paying attention when we went over this in class.

There were no guarantees that there would be any wine this week, much less whether or not the second offer of any given day is going to be a wine.

Although if some hints and guesses are to be believed, I think we'll be seeing at least one wine offering this week at some point, sometime.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
winefarm wrote:I always think of Star Trek TNG when Dr. Beverly would give shots. These remind me of those. (TMI?)

Nerd :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

I used to scoff at "salt grinders". I mean, salt is a f-ing rock. It's not like you're going to unleash some essential oils or anything, but my sister lives in a humid area and loves them because even coarse kosher salt becomes a big lump rather quickly.

If they're as small as people are saying, it could be nice to have them on the table. I hate serving people food with fresh ground black pepper on it only to have them reach for the flavorless pepper-dust that has been sitting there since the carter administration. I end up putting a full-on pepper mill on the table, but that's a little overkill, and this is certainly a classier option than putting out a box of kosher salt.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

kttest

quality posts: 2 Private Messages kttest
andyduncan wrote:
If they're as small as people are saying, it could be nice to have them on the table. I hate serving people food with fresh ground black pepper on it only to have them reach for the flavorless pepper-dust that has been sitting there since the carter administration. I end up putting a full-on pepper mill on the table, but that's a little overkill, and this is certainly a classier option than putting out a box of kosher salt.

andyduncan, it's your fault! Your comment pushed me to press the "I Want One" button..in for 1!

- Krista
"Wine is the most civilized thing in the world." -Ernest Hemingway.
NYC Tastings Summary courtesy of HAK

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

I have a nice pepper and salt grinder (several, in fact) here at the house.

While ergonomics lend a certain flair to the table, I tell anyone who asks that salt is salt is salt. You can't change NaCl. It's the additional ingredients in the salt that make it special. My favourite is a Hawaiian Mud Salt that's red. The additional ions and local earth really punch through a salt that's more spicy than salty, imho. Also - try seasoning BEFORE cooking more than after. The saltiness comes through much more effectively, and would require a higher dose of sodium after cooking to get the same effect.

Peppers - now that's a different story. There's nothing better than a dash of fresh-ground white pepper in almost anything. Really gets a dish noticed!

I'm curious how a stainless grinder would hold up against salt corrosion?

I also have a ceramic herb grinder that BANGS in the cooking. Totally worth adding one to your kitchen.

Finally - I'm hoping for some more grapeseed oils. Those have been a total hit in my kitchen. I am "ungifting" the extra sets I got to selfishly enjoy that high and healthy smoke-point.

Feel free to bust out your high-school chemistry book to debunk my NaCl comment.

JanFP

quality posts: 11 Private Messages JanFP

Nice - glad I spotted this. I want to have several mills for grinding different salts and peppers.

Too much wine, too many beer-drinking friends

iceeblue7

quality posts: 3 Private Messages iceeblue7

Spooky brought a pair of these myself only yesterday retail. I paid $20 each no stand. I cannot say I have used them very much but from my limited experience me and the wife love them and they look great on the table.

As for a sore thumb we only use at the table so I doubt I will ever personally need that much seasoning.

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
uhoerhold wrote:I'm confused, I thought the second deal of the day was going to be wine. Is there going to be any wine this week? And before you start yelling at me: no, I wasn't paying attention when we went over this in class.

Oh my...reminds me so much of Sister Mary Elephant

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
JanFP wrote:Nice - glad I spotted this. I want to have several mills for grinding different salts and peppers.

The product specs are real clear that this is for dry salt which leaves out all sorts of currently popular salts that are moist.

redstickman

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redstickman

You know, I have an earlier model of these (the base of mine is not clear). Here's my review:

Pepper grinder - poor performance. the grinding apparatus is not robust enough to do any serious peppering. If you want only a tiny amount of pepper, then this grinder is for you.

Salt grinder - works well, but the base is starting to discolor (looks like rust).

Not worth the price, in my opinion.

KryseeMac

quality posts: 2 Private Messages KryseeMac
kttest wrote:andyduncan, it's your fault! Your comment pushed me to press the "I Want One" button..in for 1!

I do have a small one for the celtic sea salt I always use but I seriously thought about pressing that button after what andyduncan posted. They do look real nice. Just wished the family sat at the table to eat so they could see how nice they look sitting there ready to be used. *sigh*