Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

Okay so now we have an official thread welcoming Doc O to our fair city.

Last night we talked about getting together on Monday night the 22nd, but I see in the CWWT#5 thread mention of Sunday night.

Let's pick the day and where. Who's coming?

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Looking forward to it regardless of the day (except Tuesday).

I thought Sunday so Lauratchi could make it as well?

Doesn't matter to me, akaic.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

Imagine4vr

otolith wrote:Looking forward to it regardless of the day (except Tuesday).

I thought Sunday so Lauratchi could make it as well?

Doesn't matter to me, akaic.

Either is good for me.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Sunday or Monday is good for me. Joel can't make Monday night cause he has pesky class.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Either day is good for me. Sunday is fine and if we do that I'll take a vacation day so I don't have to rush out if it runs late.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

lauratchi

Ideas.. Ideas...

KFC and wine at the Hyatt with the good doctor

Greektown (close to Doc, not sure about all the goofy corkage fees, but they have free valet parking down there)

TMR pulls a magic BYOB out of his hat (tho from one of the byob sites, they are few and far between south of the loop). There is a Vietnamese place on Lincoln (Simply It) near Childrens' Memorial that is BYO.

Putting our wines in paper bags and going to Millenium Park.

And I am ony kidding about KFC. Could be Popeye's as well.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

Monday works for me. as for BYOBs in the South Loop, that just t'ain't my hunting grounds.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

otolith

I'm not afraid of driving in Chicago. I was born there, you know. I will probably bring the wife's car, however, and she doesn't have GPS (but it gets 10mpg more on the highway). That said, name the place, and I'll find my way there.

Although KFC does go pretty good with beer. Oops, wrong beverage.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

So shall we shoot for Monday? I'm going to try and meet with some candidates to interview them over dinner. Probably try to do that on Sunday and Tuesday. Name the place, and I'll be there. May try to bring a friend along as well.

Certainly am looking forward to putting some faces to the names.

--John Muir

Imagine4vr

otolith wrote:So shall we shoot for Monday? I'm going to try and meet with some candidates to interview them over dinner. Probably try to do that on Sunday and Tuesday. Name the place, and I'll be there. May try to bring a friend along as well.

Certainly am looking forward to putting some faces to the names.

Monday it is then! Now to pick a place ...

Someplace we've been? Tango Sur? Cotes d Rhone?
KFC in the park?
Someplace new?

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:Monday it is then! Now to pick a place ...

Someplace we've been? Tango Sur? Cotes d Rhone?
KFC in the park?
Someplace new?

we could skip the wine thing altogether for once & eat Fred Flinstone-style at Fogo de Chao!

otolith

themostrighteous wrote:we could skip the wine thing altogether for once & eat Fred Flinstone-style at Fogo de Chao!

Not sure I could potentially eat there twice in one week, as I have plans to go to Cirque du Soleil on 9/28, and dinner at Fogo after the show.

We could always eat at Medieval Times, although that would be quite a drive from down town.

--John Muir

themostrighteous

otolith wrote:Not sure I could potentially eat there twice in one week, as I have plans to go to Cirque du Soleil on 9/28, and dinner at Fogo after the show.

We could always eat at Medieval Times, although that would be quite a drive from down town.

get your priorities straight, man: change your dinner reservations for 9/28!

just kidding. there are a TON of places we could go. Chicago is a foodie town after all. some ideas:

Salpicón: killer Mexican, ridiculous wine list & OK priced at that - but even better margaritas!
Joe's Stone Crab (NOT Joe's Crab Shack): HAMANAHAMANAHAMANAH!!! quite possibly my favorite restaurant in the entire planet. Alaskan King Crab Legs to die for. or a Texas Cut that'll kill you.

but if you really wanna slum it TMR-style...

Café Iberico: quite possibly the BEST SPANISH RESTAURANT this side of Barcelona. best QPR on this list to boot too. YUM!

lauratchi

themostrighteous wrote:get your priorities straight, man: change your dinner reservations for 9/28!

just kidding. there are a TON of places we could go. Chicago is a foodie town after all. some ideas:

Salpicón: killer Mexican, ridiculous wine list & OK priced at that - but even better margaritas!
Joe's Stone Crab (NOT Joe's Crab Shack): HAMANAHAMANAHAMANAH!!! quite possibly my favorite restaurant in the entire planet. Alaskan King Crab Legs to die for. or a Texas Cut that'll kill you.

Café Iberico: quite possibly the BEST SPANISH RESTAURANT this side of Barcelona. best QPR on this list to boot too. YUM!

Cafe Iberico or Salpicon. I got one of those fish/seafood kinda itchy poofy lip things going on, so I prefer no crab. Tho being with Oto, at least someone would know what to do with their Tom Mix pocket knife.

Altho if this is the group fav, well, I'm sure they have something a forced landlubber could eat.

themostrighteous

lauratchi wrote:Cafe Iberico or Salpicon. I got one of those fish/seafood kinda itchy poofy lip things going on, so I prefer no crab. Tho being with Oto, at least someone would know what to do with their Tom Mix pocket knife.

Altho if this is the group fav, well, I'm sure they have something a forced landlubber could eat.

well, my dearest ms. laura, their full name is Joe's Seafood, PRIME STEAK, and Stone Crab. that's the "Texas Cut" i was referring to. IMO they serve up the best steak in town outside of a Churrascaria like Fogo. but YMMV.

EDIT: but i'll gladly come up w/ any excuse to go to Iberico. amazing food in an amazing environment. plus i getz to act the local there!

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:well, my dearest ms. laura, their full name is Joe's Seafood, PRIME STEAK, and Stone Crab. that's the "Texas Cut" i was referring to. IMO they serve up the best steak in town outside of a Churrascaria like Fogo. but YMMV.

EDIT: but i'll gladly come up w/ any excuse to go to Iberico. amazing food in an amazing environment. plus i getz to act the local there!

Never had Joe's...Gene and Georgetti's is the best steak I've had downtown.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

themostrighteous

themostrighteous wrote:get your priorities straight, man: change your dinner reservations for 9/28!

i forgot to mention that, price FOOD-wise (ie EXcluding alcohol), i'd say that Iberico is inexpensive, Salpicon is moderately priced & Joe's is expensive.

themostrighteous

tommythecat78 wrote:Never had Joe's...Gene and Georgetti's is the best steak I've had downtown.

G&G is as old school as it gets, and while i enjoy the occasional visit w/ out-of-town friends who want to visit the "Institution", it is a step in quality below Joe's (which is old school down in South Beach in its own right) IMO.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I'm gonna cry. Seriously. So let's see... 4 more years on the house... then I can sell it... and move to Chicago! Yeah!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

otolith

These are all restaurants I haven't been to, so I am game for any of them. Iberico sounds mighty intriguing, however.

--John Muir

Imagine4vr

otolith wrote:These are all restaurants I haven't been to, so I am game for any of them. Iberico sounds mighty intriguing, however.

Joe's for crab and steak, yum! It is one of the best in Chicago, if not the best.

I've never been to Cafe Iberico but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I love Spanish Tapas, Emilio's on Clark/Fullerton is my favorite. Are they comparable?

My vote is for Cafe Iberico, cost being a motivating factor.

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:Joe's for crab and steak, yum! It is one of the best in Chicago, if not the best.

I've never been to Cafe Iberico but I've heard nothing but good things about it. I love Spanish Tapas, Emilio's on Clark/Fullerton is my favorite. Are they comparable?

The only Tapas place I've been to is Babareeba. Which was fantastic. If Iberico is a tapas place that definitely gets my vote.

Edit: Just looked at the menu...DEFINITELY gets my vote.

cbecer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbecer

Winefest Chicago is this weekend. Did anyone go last year? Is it worth it?

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:Joe's for crab and steak, yum! It is one of the best in Chicago, if not the best.

never been to Emilio's. alls i know is that my Spanish friends go to Iberico. and the atmosphere is a rockin'!

themostrighteous

cbecer wrote:Winefest Chicago is this weekend. Did anyone go last year? Is it worth it?

never heard of it. checked out the site. looks very interesting. let us know how it goes if you do go.

otolith

Imagine4vr wrote:My vote is for Cafe Iberico, cost being a motivating factor.

So is it settled?

Fue a Espana por dos semanas quando estuve en le escuela secundaria, y me da mucho placer para comer comida espanol. Wow, my Spanish certainly has been pushed to the depths of my brain. That sentence took 3 hours to write.

I would love to eat some authentic Spanish food. I'll see if I can find a nice bottle of Spanish wine to bring along, unless they frown upon that.

--John Muir

Imagine4vr

otolith wrote:So is it settled?

Fue a Espana por dos semanas quando estuve en le escuela secundaria, y me da mucho placer para comer comida espanol. Wow, my Spanish certainly has been pushed to the depths of my brain. That sentence took 3 hours to write.

I would love to eat some authentic Spanish food. I'll see if I can find a nice bottle of Spanish wine to bring along, unless they frown upon that.

As long as it would take me to translate! *giggles* I'm off to the game, so I'm hoping someone will have it translated by the time I get home :hint hint:

Looks we're decided, Cafe Iberico, Mon night the 22nd ... say 7pm? Looks like they have a wine list so I'm thinking they probably won't allow it, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

cheron98

otolith wrote:Fue a Espana por dos semanas quando estuve en le escuela secundaria, y me da mucho placer para comer comida espanol.

Let's see...

So you went to Spain for two weeks when you were in high school. And it would give you much pleasure to eat Spanish food. Si?

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:As long as it would take me to translate! *giggles* I'm off to the game, so I'm hoping someone will have it translated by the time I get home :hint hint:

Looks we're decided, Cafe Iberico, Mon night the 22nd ... say 7pm? Looks like they have a wine list so I'm thinking they probably won't allow it, but it couldn't hurt to ask.

7 works for me.

otolith

cheron98 wrote:Let's see...

So you went to Spain for two weeks when you were in high school. And it would give you much pleasure to eat Spanish food. Si?

You betcha!

Plus, it's only 3 miles from my hotel, which means I could probably take a cab to and fro. Just in case a little too much imbibing happens.

--John Muir

cheron98

otolith wrote:You betcha!

Plus, it's only 3 miles from my hotel, which means I could probably take a cab to and fro. Just in case a little too much imbibing happens.

My translation skills r0x0r. I don't even know Spanish. Tee hee

And again, I so wish I could be there. But alas, I am but a misplanted Chicagoan apparently, who chose wrongly where to settle...

themostrighteous

otolith wrote:You betcha!

so is it 6 of us then? Iberico only takes reservations for 6 or more. let's see: you, me, Imagine, lauratchi & tommy. who'd i miss?

btw, Iberico is NOT BYOB (not even for a corkage fee), but their Sangria is the real deal IIRC.

EDIT: i went ahead & made a reservation anyway under my last name (for those of you who know it) as well as "wine tasting group" (for those of you who don't)!

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
otolith wrote:Fue a Espana por dos semanas quando estuve en le escuela secundaria, y me da mucho placer para comer comida espanol.

A few Spaniards for two sea men when Stevie squeals twice, and I have a lot of places for combing Spaniards., si?

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

cheron98

smlauren wrote:A few Spaniards for two sea men when Stevie squeals twice, and I have a lot of places for combing Spaniards., si?

is it funny? is it the wine? maybe a little of both, but i'm laughin!

tommythecat78

smlauren wrote:A few Spaniards for two sea men when Stevie squeals twice, and I have a lot of places for combing Spaniards., si?

Hilarious!

otolith

Sent out some contact info to you guys. Feel free to send me yours just in case I get lost so I can ask you for help! I may have another friend who I might be able to drag along. I'll let you know when I have a better idea.

--John Muir

otolith

Good to know the first person who responded to my PM(s) got the joke.

--John Muir

lauratchi

otolith wrote:Good to know the first person who responded to my PM(s) got the joke.

Things we night shift people do at 2 am trying to stay awake.

Looking at the Cafe Iberico menu thinking about things to order. And wine to drink.

Imagine4vr

lauratchi wrote:Things we night shift people do at 2 am trying to stay awake.

Looking at the Cafe Iberico menu thinking about things to order. And wine to drink.

It's not 2am yet! Their menu looks great, I'm really looking forward to it.

I just hope I'm recovered from what I hope to be tomorrow's celebration!

lauratchi

Imagine4vr wrote:It's not 2am yet! Their menu looks great, I'm really looking forward to it.

I just hope I'm recovered from what I hope to be tomorrow's celebration!

That was last night!