MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

bump

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Cesare

quality posts: 1473 Private Messages Cesare
MarkDaSpark wrote:bump

why
Oh wait. This gives me the opportunity to post a recent NY Times article about Madeira.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

MarkDaSpark

Cesare wrote:why
Oh wait. This give me the opportunity to post a recent NY Times article about Madeira.

Cause I went to a Madeira tasting and really liked it. And there's good info in the thread.

And others may have questions on it. And someone may post a link to a recent NY Times article.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
MarkDaSpark wrote:And others may have questions on it. And someone may post a link to a recent NY Times article.

It's psychic you are, young Sith.

Did you buy the RWC 3-bottle special?

-- T
(Perhaps we can bring you back from the dark side to the caramel-ly brown side.)

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

Cesare

Opened a Blandy's Alvada recently. It was pretty good. A little simple maybe but still good, and cheap. I have some left in the fridge and it's fine so that's always an added bonus with madeira.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
zTimothyBz wrote:It's psychic you are, young Sith.

-- T
(Perhaps we can bring you back from the dark side to the caramel-ly brown side.)

You And Joatmon have convinced me. I plan to order soon. (EDIT: Have a call in. Trying to get the special shipping rate that Joatmon posted last month to ship to my daughter in ME. They can't ship to CT.)

And I got a proper absinthe glass and spoon for Christmas. That motivated me to search out better absinthe. Based on your post a while back, I found some results from a tasting that the Wormwood Society did on their website. I had already ordered the Kubler, based on your recommendation and it was the only other absinthe my shop could order. Then I stumble on a shop with some in stock. And they had the Duplais verte, which was the highest rated absinthe at that tasting. Really enjoying it. So, thanks.

(I'll have to post a thank you regarding the Madeira in a few weeks, once I have received and tasted.)

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:It's psychic you are, young Sith.

-- T

Yes. It should be at the Irvine wine locker, so I'll check it out the next time I'm down there to put it into my locker. Which may be tomorrow or Monday.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Jancis Robinson of the Financial Times on Madeira

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

zTimothyBz

Oh bother.

I'd hoped that Madeira would remain our little secret.

(Repeating this from the deals thread.) By the way, the Rare Wine Company has release a new bottling of their New Orleans Terrantez, which may be of interest to people in the Century Club.

-- T

My cellar

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
zTimothyBz wrote:Oh bother.

I'd hoped that Madeira would remain our little secret.

(Repeating this from the deals thread.) By the way, the Rare Wine Company has release a new bottling of their New Orleans Terrantez, which may be of interest to people in the Century Club.

-- T

Nope it's out, sorry!
RWC is offering the 5 bottle set now for $230. I thought this was irresistible.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

One of these days I'll have to try a Madeira. Or maybe I shouldn't, since they are so expensive.

It's funny, on Sunday just as I was getting ready to leave my grandmother's after the Mother's Day stuff she was doing a crossword puzzle. She asked me what Portugese wine starts with an M. I told her Madeira, and that was exactly what fit the spot she needed to fill.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

HitAnyKey42 wrote:One of these days I'll have to try a Madeira. Or maybe I shouldn't, since they are so expensive.

It's funny, on Sunday just as I was getting ready to leave my grandmother's after the Mother's Day stuff she was doing a crossword puzzle. She asked me what Portugese wine starts with an M. I told her Madeira, and that was exactly what fit the spot she needed to fill.

Well, I might bring a little something on the RPM trip.

If I make it onto the bus.

(as of 2011-03-02)

merbill

quality posts: 28 Private Messages merbill
JOATMON wrote:Well, I might bring a little something on the RPM trip.

If I make it onto the bus.

As one of the lucky ones who got to taste both the 1950 and the 1886, I'm so glad you did. For Century Club consideration, do you know the grape varietals for the Madeira's we savored?

Wine Wooters Part Deaux FFL Champion and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tour #2 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

JOATMON

merbill wrote:As one of the lucky ones who got to taste both the 1950 and the 1886, I'm so glad you did. For Century Club consideration, do you know the grape varietals for the Madeira's we savored?

Only what the bottle says.

I have no idea what the laws were as far as Madeira varietals in the label vs. in the bottle; could there be a percentage of foreign grapes and still be labeled as a single varietal? I just don't know.

Having said that, the 1886 is labeled as a Malvasia, aka Malmsey (listed on the application as Malvasia). The 1950, OTOH, is labeled as a Tarrentez, which is a grape variety that isn't grown on Madeira much any more, nor are Madeiras made from that varietal any more. Terrantez was not on my century application; I had to add it.

(as of 2011-03-02)

merbill

quality posts: 28 Private Messages merbill
JOATMON wrote:Only what the bottle says.

I have no idea what the laws were as far as Madeira varietals in the label vs. in the bottle; could there be a percentage of foreign grapes and still be labeled as a single varietal? I just don't know.

Having said that, the 1886 is labeled as a Malvasia, aka Malmsey (listed on the application as Malvasia). The 1950, OTOH, is labeled as a Tarrentez, which is a grape variety that isn't grown on Madeira much any more, nor are Madeiras made from that varietal any more. Terrantez was not on my century application; I had to add it.

Thanks. Is Terrantez related to or a synonym for Torrontes? Similar spellings, similar pronunciations, and similar origins (Spain/Portugal).

Wine Wooters Part Deaux FFL Champion and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tour #2 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

JOATMON

merbill wrote:Thanks. Is Terrantez related to or a synonym for Torrontes? Similar spellings, similar pronunciations, and similar origins (Spain/Portugal).

It doesn't seem so. Torrontes is actually a name that is applied to three grape varietals, which seems to be more closely related to Malvasia that Terrantez.

(as of 2011-03-02)

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 28 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
JOATMON wrote:Only what the bottle says.

Having said that, the 1886 is labeled as a Malvasia, aka Malmsey (listed on the application as Malvasia).

I notice on CT the Malvasia one is actually set up as a White Blend. Any thoughts on why, or if whoever created it just did it wrong and no one else has corrected it? Obviously Malvasia is one of the grapes, but you think it's really low enough of percentage for it to be considered a White Blend?
I had to create the wine for the 1886 Malvasia vintage so I could upload my photo for it.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

HitAnyKey42 wrote:I notice on CT the Malvasia one is actually set up as a White Blend. Any thoughts on why, or if whoever created it just did it wrong and no one else has corrected it? Obviously Malvasia is one of the grapes, but you think it's really low enough of percentage for it to be considered a White Blend?
I had to create the wine for the 1886 Malvasia vintage so I could upload my photo for it.

I just don't know.

The percentage limit for blend vs. varietal is different from location to location and time to time. 51% used to be the threshold for California, but that has been raised to 75%. Someone told me that Washington state has set the threshold at 90%, can anybody verify?

Madeira, I don't know, but I suspect that it used to be 51%; the EU may have changed that. What may have been a varietal in the past may now be a blend, depending on which rules you follow.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

Rare Wine Company Historic Madeira Series Commemorative Set

(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Rare Wine Company Historic Madeira Series Commemorative Set

Ordered 1 set, although tempted to order 2. The sets arrived this week, and should ship next week.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 225 Private Messages kylemittskus

Came across this in my recreational reading:

"...but rich beyond anything either man had expected, enough so that each year Burnham bought a barrel of fine Madeira and aged it by shipping it twice around the world on slow freighters."

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

Madeira-tini

Served in a chilled martini glass

2 oz. Stoli “O”(Stolichnaya Ohranj)
1 oz. Alvada Madeira
“Burnt” orange twist
Candle
Orange slice

• Fill mixing glass with ice.
  • Add Stoli “O” and Alvada Madeira.
  • Stir. Add to chilled martini glass.
  • Garnish with “Burnt” orange twist.
  • Take orange twist and gently hold it over the candle with exterior side of the orange facing the flame. You should see small sparks just above the candle. (This shows the oil has been released and heated.)

* By Vincent A Batiato
Mattison’s - Sarasota, Florida
www.mattisons.com

MarkDaSpark

Blandy’s Dessert in a Glass

Served in a martini glass

1 1/2 oz. + a splash of Alvada Madeira
1 oz. vodka, preferably chilled
1 oz. cream
Bittersweet chocolate

• Fill an old-fashioned glass half way with ice.
  • Add Madeira, vodka and cream, and stir.
  • Grate a little chocolate on top and add a final splash of Madeira.
  • Savor the moment.

* By Laura Werlin, Author,
The New American Cheese - San Francisco
www.laurawerlin.com

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

I'm on a SIWBM but now that I'm reading this (and saw how many Madeira's some of you have in your CT lists...zTimothyBz will any be open for tasting at your party?) I'm wondering if this is a good buy/deal/idea. Thoughts?

zTimothyBz

time2testit wrote:I'm on a SIWBM but now that I'm reading this (and saw how many Madeira's some of you have in your CT lists...zTimothyBz will any be open for tasting at your party?) I'm wondering if this is a good buy/deal/idea. Thoughts?

Going by list prices, $95 for four half bottles is hardly any premium at at. For you it would give a taste of four styles of Madeira. (For me it's almost tempting for the booklet, but I will strive to overcome.)

Of the four in that set, I have three here - the Savannah Verdelho is in the wine locker and I''m not going get out there today. I'll be happy to open one.

My cellar

merryberry

quality posts: 10 Private Messages merryberry

Gary Vay-ner-chuk reviewed the New York Malmsey Madeira on Wine Library TV episode #964.

Not to spoil the ending, but he really liked it.

My Cellar in CT

kylemittskus

I am so close to pulling the trigger. SIWBM but I'm very curious.

Cesare

merryberry wrote:Gary Vay-ner-chuk reviewed the New York Malmsey Madeira on Wine Library TV episode #964.

Not to spoil the ending, but he really liked it.

Correct link

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple

JOATMON

Bump

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

Madeira: Wine World Glory/Patriotic July 4 Choice

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

If you want to buy Madeira, Rare Wine Company is your friend.

Rare Wine Company has a series of Madeira called the RWC Historic Series. Each one is designed and named to evoke the style of Madeira that the region liked. There have been seven so far: New York Malmsey, Savannah Verdelho, Charlston Sercial, Boston Bual, New Orleans Special Reserve (two series), Benjamin Franklin Special Reserve, and Stratford Special Reserve. The 750s are available for around $50 each, and I see that Rare Wine Company still has some of the four bottle 375ml sets left (which includes a booklet).

Rare Wine Company also carries a few modern Madeiras that were bottled especially for Rare Wine Company. The Barbeito VB [Verdelho-Boal] Madeira Lot 3 may be another Madeira to try. The Barbeito Canteiro Madeiras are another option.

If you go nuts, the 1810 Borges Sercial Madeira at $1,895.00 is the oldest and most expensive they currently have. Their current stock list is here.

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

John Hancock and Madeira

(as of 2011-03-02)

JOATMON

Sercial

(as of 2011-03-02)

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda

Madeira is a really interesting wine, and an acquired taste. While I haven't seen one, look for tastings in your local wine shop.

Yes, its expensive - but its like a fine port - your only drinking a little, and it keeps forever once you open it! ;)

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

wkdpanda

quality posts: 10 Private Messages wkdpanda
JOATMON wrote:John Hancock and Madeira

So, having read this article - one wonders about John Hancock, and how much he was into liberty, and how much just to get away from the Customs man!

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:There's *almost* a deluxe Madeira tasting in San Francisco the weekend of May 18th.

I sent a PM to Joatmon, but there's no indication he's seen it. So if someone has his email, please ask him to look at this thread:

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?t=14775

And if anyone else is wild enough to want to be part of a Madeira tasting where I'm contributing a 1920 and an 1862, please check it out.

http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?t=14775

Need to bring this thread back to the top!

kylemittskus

I like this bump. I really want to buy some Madeira, but it'll have to wait until after summer.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
kylemittskus wrote:I like this bump. I really want to buy some Madeira, but it'll have to wait until after summer.

I like how your SIWBM goes back several years and includes several purchases.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

kylemittskus

otolith wrote:I like how your SIWBM goes back several years and includes several purchases.

Intermittent symptoms.