tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

Calling all Chicagoans. Saturday September 13th is the tentative date for CWWT#5. Everyone please chime in with thoughts, suggestions, and the like. It is short notice so if not very many people can make it we'll set up another one for soon after this date. I will update this post as we get more info.

We still need more suggestions for time and place. So far the fallback is Tango Sur.

-TtheC

Attendees:
cheron98
tmr
Imagine4vr (maybe, get well)
TarynShea (?)
Mattazuma (+1)
myself

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

I'm in!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
cheron98 wrote:I'm in!

well, then, so am i!

no, seriously, i am.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cheron98

Okay, I gots me a room booked. Who wants to meet for a late dinner (9 - 10ish PM) on Friday 9/12?

Leaving after work on Friday, planning on getting to work early and working through lunch so I can leave around 4 my time, which should.. SHOULD... put me at the hotel between 8-9 PM your time. And I'll be hungry. So I'd sure like some dinner company

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Okay, I gots me a room booked. Who wants to meet for a late dinner (9 - 10ish PM) on Friday 9/12?

Leaving after work on Friday, planning on getting to work early and working through lunch so I can leave around 4 my time, which should.. SHOULD... put me at the hotel between 8-9 PM your time. And I'll be hungry. So I'd sure like some dinner company

Is a good possibility.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Doods. You couldn't do it on 9/20 instead? or Do you want to also do Tasting #6 on 9/20?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cheron98

otolith wrote:Doods. You couldn't do it on 9/20 instead? or Do you want to also do Tasting #6 on 9/20?

But... But... I already booked room... and... but... it's only 4 hours... I could... maybe... My boss is gonna kill me... Is it October yet? Stupid pager...

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
otolith wrote:Doods. You couldn't do it on 9/20 instead? or Do you want to also do Tasting #6 on 9/20?

We can do both!

TarynShea

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TarynShea

I'm in! I'm more excited about the 13th than the 20th...but I live in chicago, so I'm flexible!

TarynShea

I'm in! I'm more excited about the 13th than the 20th...but I live in chicago, so I'm flexible!

TarynShea

Mattazuma

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Mattazuma

Where and when on the 13th? I have plenty of woot wine to share

cheron98

Good lord, they're crawling out of the ductwork...

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:We can do both!

I agree.

tommythecat78

Mattazuma wrote:Where and when on the 13th? I have plenty of woot wine to share

No location or time set yet. Open to suggestions.

themostrighteous

tommythecat78 wrote:No location or time set yet. Open to suggestions.

later is better for me that evening. say 7:30 PM or so? i thought Tango Sur worked pretty well for CWWT#3, so that could be our fall back, especially if we can't come up w/ anything else. as for theme, i would suggest that we keep it simple since we have several new folks a comin' - how about your favorite wine.woot bottle (but let's try to avoid duplicates)? i will gladly contribute my magnum of Polyphemus.

just some ideas for y'all to chew over.

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:later is better for me that evening. say 7:30 PM or so? i thought Tango Sur worked pretty well for CWWT#3, so that could be our fall back, especially if we can't come up w/ anything else. as for theme, i would suggest that we keep it simple since we have several new folks a comin' - how about your favorite wine.woot bottle (but let's try to avoid duplicates)? i will gladly contribute my magnum of Polyphemus.

Works for me. My schedule is entirely in the hands of you Chicagoans. Though I might find myself getting lost at Shedd's for a few hours

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous wrote:later is better for me that evening. say 7:30 PM or so? i thought Tango Sur worked pretty well for CWWT#3, so that could be our fall back, especially if we can't come up w/ anything else. as for theme, i would suggest that we keep it simple since we have several new folks a comin' - how about your favorite wine.woot bottle (but let's try to avoid duplicates)? i will gladly contribute my magnum of Polyphemus.

Last time we (well not me, I missed it) met at Tango Sur was a Sunday...will it be a problem with a large group on a Saturday night, especially if we are there a long time?

And it's great to see so many new people in the area chiming in. The more the merrier!

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:Last time we (well not me, I missed it) met at Tango Sur was a Sunday...will it be a problem with a large group on a Saturday night, especially if we are there a long time?

And it's great to see so many new people in the area chiming in. The more the merrier!

'tis true - just depends on how many we end up having - but i'd rather go to a new BYOW all the same! i'd think of Tango Sur as a fallback. 'sall.

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:'tis true - just depends on how many we end up having - but i'd rather go to a new BYOW all the same! i'd think of Tango Sur as a fallback. 'sall.

Do we want to put a maximum # of attendees if we do a restaurant? I just don't want to run into the same problem we had at CWWT#3 with so many people that we couldn't all comfortably talk with each other due to being so spread out.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Do we want to put a maximum # of attendees if we do a restaurant? I just don't want to run into the same problem we had at CWWT#3 with so many people that we couldn't all comfortably talk with each other due to being so spread out.

Well so far there's what... 6 or 7 of us? Where's smlauren, anyways? Wanna update the attendees list so we can see who we've got? I think so far it's TMR, you, me, Imagine, and the two new faces? Maybe sm? If we ever find him from whatever rock he's crawled under...

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

I'll talk to one of my friends who is probably driving down with me if you guys are available on the 20th. I'm sure he'd be game. Otherwise, we could always do Sunday or Monday. Tuesday I have something going on, and I'll probably leave to visit family in Rockford on Wed evening when the conference is wrapping up.

Hmmmm, still gotta get a hotel room.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
cheron98 wrote:Well so far there's what... 6 or 7 of us? Where's smlauren, anyways? Wanna update the attendees list so we can see who we've got? I think so far it's TMR, you, me, Imagine, and the two new faces? Maybe sm? If we ever find him from whatever rock he's crawled under...

I was thinkin I might quit drinkin.
I'm just not sure what I would do with the 150 bottles I have.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

cheron98

smlauren wrote:I was thinkin I might quit drinkin.
I'm just not sure what I would do with the 150 bottles I have.

GASP! Wine isn't "drinking". It's "complementing a meal". But really, good for you, if you need to! And I have an idea what you could do with those 150 bottles...

But can't you wait until AFTER 9/13 to quit?

If you're serious though, see if HDH can sell your bottles for you. Not sure what kind of cost that involves, but you should be able to get $$ back for it at least.

smlauren

cheron98 wrote:GASP! Wine isn't "drinking". It's "complementing a meal". But really, good for you, if you need to! And I have an idea what you could do with those 150 bottles...

But can't you wait until AFTER 9/13 to quit?

If you're serious though, see if HDH can sell your bottles for you. Not sure what kind of cost that involves, but you should be able to get $$ back for it at least.

I'm thinkin my collection is not up to HDH standards. It's really pretty average stuff. I was thinking of offering it to the people here on W.W for whatever half the price that CT says it's worth. You would have to come and get it from my house though. I'm not delivering it and I'm certainly not shipping it. And since I've been burned once from "selling" a few Ty Caton's to a person on here and never getting paid for them, I would insist on cash.
So, take a look at my CT.
I'm just west of O'Hare Field by Woodfield Mall.
PM me if you are interested.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

cheron98

smlauren wrote:I'm thinkin my collection is not up to HDH standards. It's really pretty average stuff. I was thinking of offering it to the people here on W.W for whatever half the price that CT says it's worth. You would have to come and get it from my house though. I'm not delivering it and I'm certainly not shipping it. And since I've been burned once from "selling" a few Ty Caton's to a person on here and never getting paid for them, I would insist on cash.

You should consider setting up a paypal account to collect money from people. That way those of us who tend to enjoy racking up our credit cards can still pay you. And if we're honest, we'll add the additional 3% or so that paypal likes to skim off the top

smlauren

cheron98 wrote:You should consider setting up a paypal account to collect money from people. That way those of us who tend to enjoy racking up our credit cards can still pay you. And if we're honest, we'll add the additional 3% or so that paypal likes to skim off the top

I've got a PayPal account.
That's cool too.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

cheron98

smlauren wrote:I've got a PayPal account.
That's cool too.

So, out of curiosity, why the decision to forsake the juice of the gods?

smlauren

cheron98 wrote:So, out of curiosity, why the decision to forsake the juice of the gods?

Combination of marital discord, new job pays $35k less than old one, & health problems.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

cheron98

smlauren wrote:Combination of marital discord, new job pays $35k less than old one, & health problems.

ugh, so sorry

smlauren

cheron98 wrote:ugh, so sorry

I'm actually excited about the new job. Going from Project Manager, AKA Status Reporter, back to programming. Hopefully my new company won't decide to outsource to India.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

cheron98

smlauren wrote:I'm actually excited about the new job. Going from Project Manager, AKA Status Reporter, back to programming. Hopefully my new company won't decide to outsource to India.

I had an opportunity to become a Project Manager, but the pay was worse than the developer pay and i said "nope". Then I had an opportunity to become a Systems Manager, but I am not ready for that yet. I like development too much

And ever since we were bought out by an Indian company, WE are the outsourcing. Go figure.

themostrighteous

smlauren wrote:Combination of marital discord, new job pays $35k less than old one, & health problems.

hey, sm, i am REALLY sorry to hear about all of this. i appreciate that you may not be buying from wine.woot going forward, but that does NOT mean that you are not still a member of this community, so don't be a stranger & chime in from time to time. i wish you the best of luck.

themostrighteous

smlauren wrote:I'm thinkin my collection is not up to HDH standards. It's really pretty average stuff. I was thinking of offering it to the people here on W.W for whatever half the price that CT says it's worth. You would have to come and get it from my house though. I'm not delivering it and I'm certainly not shipping it. And since I've been burned once from "selling" a few Ty Caton's to a person on here and never getting paid for them, I would insist on cash.

a couple of questions for you:

1. what do you want me to do w/ the bottles that i have for you from Loweeel? i'd be happy to buy the three KR ones from you if that will make things easier. else i'll figure out a way to get them to you.
2.i am interested in acquiring a number of your bottles. i will PM you a list shortly. please let me know if they are still available.

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:hey, sm, i am REALLY sorry to hear about all of this. i appreciate that you may not be buying from wine.woot going forward, but that does NOT mean that you are not still a member of this community, so don't be a stranger & chime in from time to time. i wish you the best of luck.

I would like to echo tmr's sentiments. I really do hope that you stay active here and still decide to come hang out with us on occasion. I hope the health issues aren't too serious and you could at least come out and enjoy some great food with us from time to time.

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie

sml, bummer. I'm sure everyone here will be happy to help you out though. :/

Imagine4vr

I hope things get better for you! Good luck with the new job, sometimes a pay cut is worth it for less stress and to do what you like.

Take care of yourself!

themostrighteous

otolith wrote:I'll talk to one of my friends who is probably driving down with me if you guys are available on the 20th. I'm sure he'd be game. Otherwise, we could always do Sunday or Monday. Tuesday I have something going on, and I'll probably leave to visit family in Rockford on Wed evening when the conference is wrapping up.

Hmmmm, still gotta get a hotel room.

hey, doc, tommy et al., if y'all decide to do this Sunday or (better yet) Monday evening, that might actually work best for me, so let me know.

Imagine4vr

Suggestions for a restaraunt

Thai food anyone? Opart Thai House on N Western near Lawrence is my favorite Thair place and it's BYOB and it's casual and inexpensive.

There is a Peruvian place on Clark St near Devon, it's BYOB, it's a family place, in a strip mall that was on Check, please and got some awesome reviews. I'll have to dig the name out from the site if we're interested.

Italian food? I believe Dave's Italian Kitchen in Evanston is BYOB and I know their food is excellent.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous wrote:hey, doc, tommy et al., if y'all decide to do this Sunday or (better yet) Monday evening, that might actually work best for me, so let me know.

Any of those days work for me, I'd prefer Mon-Tues but I'm pretty flexible. Laura, I hope you can make it too??