yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
andyduncan wrote:
Well, you're in good company at least. The list was just something we came up with while we were waiting for an answer from WD – a little game to pass the time. Little did we know he must have had writers cramp.

Weren't we told 'Before Thanksgiving'? That gives him a couple of weeks still...

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD

I must admit, I have yet to drink my mystery wine. But did some investigating when I recieved my bottles. Compared the lot # on the base of the bottles with my wellington stash and came up with the answers. To see the lot # take a flshlight and look at the base(not bottom)
ZIN..q1 076
19 03 72

Peter, Is this correct?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 232 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
ERMD wrote:I must admit, I have yet to drink my mystery wine. But did some investigating when I recieved my bottles. Compared the lot # on the base of the bottles with my wellington stash and came up with the answers. To see the lot # take a flshlight and look at the base(not bottom)
ZIN..q1 076
19 03 72

Peter, Is this correct?

We use glass from different suppliers, and sometimes use two different lots for the same wine. What you say is generally true, but not absolute (the lot # is for the glass, not from the bottling). You may have noticed different color glass also. As I said previosly, sometimes suppliers become ex-suppliers.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 25 Private Messages ddeuddeg
andyduncan wrote:...I ... have spent way too much time and money here...

At least you've gotten some decent wine out of it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

gsandoval

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gsandoval
SonomaBouliste wrote:We often have to resort to the comment "It's a Cab drinker's Merlot" just to get people to try it. I've also used the phrase, "I make Merlot using the Bordeaux model, not the KoolAid model".

Sweet, I didn't even have to think of an excuse for guessing wrong.

skelator818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skelator818

Had a green dot, knew there would be time between bottles so we took notes. Our notes on "The Duke" are different from the notes on the varietal noted in the unofficial list. Not expecting a certificate, but our Duke certainly was different than the leading opinion says. Unless a few weeks in the wine fridge can make a Cab go Zin.

Come on Bandolier of Carrots!

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
skelator818 wrote:Had a green dot, knew there would be time between bottles so we took notes. Our notes on "The Duke" are different from the notes on the varietal noted in the unofficial list. Not expecting a certificate, but our Duke certainly was different than the leading opinion says. Unless a few weeks in the wine fridge can make a Cab go Zin.

You know, you and I must have gotten bottles with the wrong dot. I was certain that MY green was zin.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan
polarbear22 wrote:You know, you and I must have gotten bottles with the wrong dot. I was certain that MY green was zin.

Um, yeah! My dot was wrong too! Yeah, that's right, wrong dot!

SB, I will accept a "double" certificate and another bottle as an apology. I believe you have my contact info.

Thanks.

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

ddeuddeg

andyduncan wrote:Um, yeah! My dot was wrong too! Yeah, that's right, wrong dot!

SB, I will accept a "double" certificate and another bottle as an apology. I believe you have my contact info.

Thanks.

I'm all over that. I knew there must have been a mistake. Hey, WD, save postage and bring Andy's and mine to Vegas with you.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

SonomaBouliste

andyduncan wrote:Um, yeah! My dot was wrong too! Yeah, that's right, wrong dot!

Thanks.

Andy, you and PB have a lot of nerve. I may lose track of things and be guilty of dispensing a lot of misinformation, but we were careful to do only one wine at a time. All hail Cesare!

ddeuddeg

SonomaBouliste wrote:Andy, you and PB have a lot of nerve. I may lose track of things and be guilty of dispensing a lot of misinformation, but we were careful to do only one wine at a time. All hail Cesare!

I knew it was too good to be true.

polarbear22

SonomaBouliste wrote:Andy, you and PB have a lot of nerve. I may lose track of things and be guilty of dispensing a lot of misinformation, but we were careful to do only one wine at a time. All hail Cesare!

You know that we are only trying to rationalize our lack of tasting ability. I did not mean to impugne your dotting accuracy, or more correctly your daughter's dotting accuracy.

So I will render onto Cesare that which is Cesare's. All Hail!

(mumble font -- still can't believe I mistook a Cab for a Zin. /mumble font

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

SB: please check your email.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
polarbear22 wrote:You know that we are only trying to rationalize our lack of tasting ability. I did not mean to impugne your dotting accuracy, or more correctly your daughter's dotting accuracy.

I know, me too. And posted for all to see. And make fun.

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
polarbear22 wrote:You know that we are only trying to rationalize our lack of tasting ability. I did not mean to impugne your dotting accuracy, or more correctly your daughter's dotting accuracy.

PB, I like your mumble font.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

andyduncan

quality posts: 32 Private Messages andyduncan

Don't worry SB, one day you'll get a black square too. :-)

I'm putting WD's kids through college.

j7f

quality posts: 0 Private Messages j7f
philmck wrote:Is this the "official" complete list?

Up on soapbox:
you know woot, I thought this would be a fun idea. Took the time to order, tasted , thought I submitted my guesses. Enough time passes so that I can't remember what I guessed or drank... only to find out that my guess did not register. male... Count me out next time.
Down of soapbox

Bring back Corrison!

Phil

congrats to all!

mr wellington...your wines really are truly excellent. wish some nyc shops/restaurants would carry you, tho!

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
j7f wrote:congrats to all!

mr wellington...your wines really are truly excellent. wish some nyc shops/restaurants would carry you, tho!

Join the Wellington Vineyards Wine Club, you won't be disappointed!

Winery website

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

I am vindicated!!!!

(or am I?)

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
timbyrd wrote:I am vindicated!!!!

(or am I?)

-- T

love that X signature!!!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

luckyinla

quality posts: 5 Private Messages luckyinla
themostrighteous wrote:love that X signature!!!

I received my "not a winner" certificate as well. Thanks WD & SB; I appreciate the free bottle & the laugh I had when I got this in the mail! Until the next challenge...

The wine seems to be very closed-in and seems to have entered a dumb stage. Sort of a Marcel Meursault.
Paul S. Winalski

my cellartracker
The best use of bad wine is to drive away poor relations.
French proverb

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel

I wonder if I'll get a similar notaward for missing all of my gifted order's guesses?

SonomaBouliste

j7f wrote:congrats to all!

Maximum Distributors of NJ has recently launched operations in the great state of New York. I don't have NY office phone #s, but the NJ headquarters' is (732) 786-9610.

bkarney

quality posts: 5 Private Messages bkarney
SonomaBouliste wrote:Maximum Distributors of NJ has recently launched operations in the great state of New York. I don't have NY office phone #s, but the NJ headquarters' is (732) 786-9610.

same with S FL. I have basically begged all of wine shops that I frequent to contact you. Is there anyone within, say 50 miles, of Fort Lauderdale/Miami area that carries your wine?? *crossing fingers*

CT

AjaxLives

quality posts: 0 Private Messages AjaxLives

(or am I?)

-- T

Got mine today also. Seriously hilarious! To slightly butcher a song,
one out of three ain't bad.

Thanks again Peter and WineDavid.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

(or am I?)

-- T

Got mine, too, for the Zinfandel-Peter's-Daughter-Dotted-As-If-It-Were-A-Merlot mis-guess.

What say next year we have a "Guess what vintage of Screaming Eagle!" contest?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

polarbear22

Corrado wrote:Got mine, too, for the Zinfandel-Peter's-Daughter-Dotted-As-If-It-Were-A-Merlot mis-guess.

C'mon, you know that Peter's daughter did it right. The damn dots were temperature sensitive and changed color as they got into New England.

And I want to go with your contest.

My Cellar

ddeuddeg

I give up. Even when I open a labeled bottle, I get it wrong. At least I'm consistent. We enjoyed a bottle of what the label said was Wellington Merlot with my favorite stovetop pork roast Saturday, and I could have sworn it was a Cab. Same wrong guess I made in the contest. I really don't care. The only thing that matters to me at this point is when I pop the cork on a Wellington, I just know it's going to be damn good.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:I give up. Even when I open a labeled bottle, I get it wrong. At least I'm consistent. We enjoyed a bottle of what the label said was Wellington Merlot with my favorite stovetop pork roast Saturday, and I could have sworn it was a Cab. Same wrong guess I made in the contest. I really don't care. The only thing that matters to me at this point is when I pop the cork on a Wellington, I just know it's going to be damn good.

I think that is why I really like his Merlot. Tastes like a good Cab. Side by side, they are different.

My Cellar

eric9tx

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eric9tx

(or am I?)

-- T

It's hard to read the bottom left corner...
"Authorized electronically with the least amount of human ____ possible. ___ ___ ___ ___" Help?

213 wooted bottles

I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - Mitch Hedberg

last wine.woots: S.Harvey Trio x2, Krupp, TyC, Wellington Zin vert, Twisted trio, WootCellars Triacipedis x2, Helix, Madison, InZin trio x2, Wellington Victory, (aw crap... I need to update this)
CT

Cesare

quality posts: 1548 Private Messages Cesare
eric9tx wrote:It's hard to read the bottom left corner...
"Authorized electronically with the least amount of human ____ possible. ___ ___ ___ ___" Help?

Authorized electronically with the least amount of human exertion possible. October, two thousand and eight.
full size

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
eric9tx wrote:It's hard to read the bottom left corner...

Did you click on the picture to see the larger scan?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

kramsauer

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kramsauer

I feel like I'm back in third grade soccer, getting a reward just for trying.

And it feels great!
Now I want a candybar.

kramsauer

Cesare wrote:Authorized electronically with the least amount of human exertion possible. October, two thousand and eight.
full size

What's odd is that the username appears to be written out by hand. At least on mine. Or the font they are using changes letters.

kramsauer

Corrado wrote:Got mine, too, for the Zinfandel-Peter's-Daughter-Dotted-As-If-It-Were-A-Merlot mis-guess.

That's over at broke.woot.com

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

kramsauer wrote:What's odd is that the username appears to be written out by hand. At least on mine. Or the font they are using changes letters.

Does appear that some love went into making these as well. Probably made Gatzby do it just so he'd have something to do during the day.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

SonomaBouliste

bkarney wrote:same with S FL. I have basically begged all of wine shops that I frequent to contact you. Is there anyone within, say 50 miles, of Fort Lauderdale/Miami area that carries your wine?? *crossing fingers*

No success finding a Florida distributor yet, but at least we can ship direct to consumer.

polarbear22

SonomaBouliste wrote:No success finding a Florida distributor yet, but at least we can ship direct to consumer.

Any chance that you will be shipping to CT, or anywhere in New England, next year?

My Cellar

MaskedMarvel

quality posts: 11 Private Messages MaskedMarvel
MaskedMarvel wrote:I wonder if I'll get a similar notaward for missing all of my gifted order's guesses?

Thanks "X!!!"

Cesare

quality posts: 1548 Private Messages Cesare
polarbear22 wrote:Any chance that you will be shipping to CT, or anywhere in New England, next year?

NH State Liquor carries Wellington. For example: Victory.
Oh look, from this page you can see the distributor is Vinextra.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber