conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo

Hi gang, I'm posting in the first spot for easy reference.

The OWWT#1 will happen on Saturday, Oct. 25, 7:00 p.m. at Visible Voice Books (and wine bar) in Cleveland! WooHooooo!

djvitruvius will try to stop in and say howdy!

WD will be sending a surprise!

conroo = Polyphemus
bill3490
Luci444
Daystar plus 2 = manchego (cheese) and a Castoro Cellars Reserve Tempranillo 2005
squeaks321 + 05 Poizin and some hard goat's milk cheese & crackers

not sure: skrist01

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

conroo

I'm in!
Sept. is good except 26-27
Any weekend in Oct. would be great (my birthday month)!

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
conroo wrote:I'm in!
Sept. is good except 26-27
Any weekend in Oct. would be great (my birthday month)!

Hello conroo. Where are you at in Ohio? Those days don't work for me eithor, but I'm open throughout the rest of the month & October. Any ideas how to get others involved?

djvitruvius

quality posts: 0 Private Messages djvitruvius

I'd be down for some action in the NEOhio area.

Available the following weekends:
Aug 22-24
Sep 6-8
Sep 13-15
Last half of October

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Live in Brunswick, but have very busy schedule. Have das boat in Lorain and hook line sinker season is fast approaching. Would consider.

conroo

MaxAlex wrote:Hello conroo. Where are you at in Ohio? Those days don't work for me eithor, but I'm open throughout the rest of the month & October. Any ideas how to get others involved?

I'm in the NW corner in a little town named Ottawa. (Remember last year's flood in the news?) I'm perfectly willing to travel to the Cleveland area for a get-together. My sister is in Bay Village, so I can stay there.

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar

I'm in. I'm in Akron - Cleveland.

Will keep an eye on the thread to see where this goes.

bill3490

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bill3490

Sounds like fun. I'll be there!

75 total.woots
04.01.2008 Bundles of Clones X3
04.01.2011 Bundles of Clones Level 10

MaxAlex

conroo wrote:I'm in the NW corner in a little town named Ottawa. (Remember last year's flood in the news?) I'm perfectly willing to travel to the Cleveland area for a get-together. My sister is in Bay Village, so I can stay there.

On a serious noet. What wines should we try? I know a few wine shops that would be more than happy to host us and not charge us through the nose. I'm not in acentral location, nor an easy place to get to. I also know of a catering facility who would lend us a room and even be part of the group.

Let's pick a date in September - a friday or saturday evening?

conroo

MaxAlex wrote:On a serious noet. What wines should we try? I know a few wine shops that would be more than happy to host us and not charge us through the nose. I'm not in acentral location, nor an easy place to get to. I also know of a catering facility who would lend us a room and even be part of the group.

Let's pick a date in September - a friday or saturday evening?

Since this is our 1st owwt, wht don't we keep it to wooted wines, but aim for a variety. Begin with whites and end with reds?

conroo

Gah! Sept. 18-21 is out for me, too!

I'm game for Saturday, Sept. 13. What do you all think?

MaxAlex

conroo wrote:Gah! Sept. 18-21 is out for me, too!

Okay. Lets work with Sept 13th. Where is the next question. Anyone else out there with some ideas?

conroo

MaxAlex wrote:Okay. Lets work with Sept 13th. Where is the next question. Anyone else out there with some ideas?

DJ offered up his place the last time. Are you game DJ? I still have you on my Google Earth.

djvitruvius

conroo wrote:DJ offered up his place the last time. Are you game DJ? I still have you on my Google Earth.

Sure! Why not? I can do the 13th.

Daystar

I will be in NY from 11th - 13th for the Minitek Festival. No worries though, I'll catch the 2nd one.

conroo

djvitruvius wrote:Sure! Why not? I can do the 13th.

DJ, that's great! Thank you so much!

Ok, we have a place to go. Is everyone else good with Sept 13?

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
conroo wrote:DJ, that's great! Thank you so much!

Though I live in Michigan, I am from Akron and I wanted to share a recent "buckeye" story with you all. The Dairy Store and MSU has taken to making a "Big 10" lineup of ice cream flavors. The one for Ohio says it contains buckeyes. Not thinking that buckeyes are even edible, I asked the person behind the counter if it does actually contain buckeyes. They emphtically said yes. Of course, I tried it and didn't notice any nut kind of stuff at all. I said, where are the buckeyes. And they pointed out these Reeses like round orbs of chocolate. "Those are the buckeyes" they exclaimed. I suggested that these are buckeye candies, not real buckeyes. Turns out, they thought that what "real" buckeyes were - had never seen nor heard of the real thing. A light went on when they realized that the OSU mascot was a pretty weird looking character.

conroo

woopdedoo wrote:Though I live in Michigan, I am from Akron and I wanted to share a recent "buckeye" story with you all. The Dairy Store and MSU has taken to making a "Big 10" lineup of ice cream flavors. The one for Ohio says it contains buckeyes. Not thinking that buckeyes are even edible, I asked the person behind the counter if it does actually contain buckeyes. They emphtically said yes. Of course, I tried it and didn't notice any nut kind of stuff at all. I said, where are the buckeyes. And they pointed out these Reeses like round orbs of chocolate. "Those are the buckeyes" they exclaimed. I suggested that these are buckeye candies, not real buckeyes. Turns out, they thought that what "real" buckeyes were - had never seen nor heard of the real thing. A light went on when they realized that the OSU mascot was a pretty weird looking character.

Funny story woopdedoo. Those MSU students aren't too bright, are they.

I challenge them to walk barefoot under a Buckeye tree in the fall. They surely will change their minds about the ferocity of the Buckeye! OUCH!

MaxAlex

conroo wrote:DJ, that's great! Thank you so much!

I'm can make the 13th.

fermentedwisdom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages fermentedwisdom

Hi conroo,

Sorry, but I'm in Columbus -- and am an OSU grad -- so Sept. 13th is already booked for me (and almost everyone else in this city, I imagine). Thanks for keeping me in the loop on these, I'll try and hit the next one.

Jim

conroo wrote:Gah! Sept. 18-21 is out for me, too!

conroo

fermentedwisdom wrote:Hi conroo,

Sorry, but I'm in Columbus -- and am an OSU grad -- so Sept. 13th is already booked for me (and almost everyone else in this city, I imagine). Thanks for keeping me in the loop on these, I'll try and hit the next one.

Jim

Without Daystar and fermentedwisdom, maybe we should try for a date in October instead.
What does everyone want?

djvitruvius

conroo wrote:Without Daystar and fermentedwisdom, maybe we should try for a date in October instead.
What does everyone want?

Does seem like a small crowd. Perhaps postponing is the best way to go.

MaxAlex

djvitruvius wrote:Does seem like a small crowd. Perhaps postponing is the best way to go.

I would agree. It would appear that there is less than 10 who have shown any interest. I'm very flexible as to dates.

Daystar

conroo wrote:Without Daystar and fermentedwisdom, maybe we should try for a date in October instead.
What does everyone want?

That would be great! I'd really like to join. I'll keep an eye on this thread, suggest a date, Oct. is pretty open at this point.

conroo

Daystar wrote:That would be great! I'd really like to join. I'll keep an eye on this thread, suggest a date, Oct. is pretty open at this point.

Well, lets shoot for October, Cuyahoga Valley would be very pretty in the fall, that is if we keep the Cleveland location.

I'm open every weekend in October.

Does anyone have a preference on dates? Please post away!
Lets do this!

EDIT:
fermentedwisdom, the Bucks have away games on 10/4 (Wisconsin) and 10/18 (Michigan State) do you attend away games?

skrist01

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skrist01

I'm from Columbus. But if you want to do NE Ohio (and pick up some MI wooters), I'll bet The Andersons would love to host us.

Let me know. I was a manager there for many years and am still a devoted wine customer.

soozq

djvitruvius

The first weekend in October is definitely no good for me. The other weekends in October are all up in the air for me at the moment, so my availability for October (and November for that matter) is tentative at best. So, I may have to sit this one out.

Luci444

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Luci444

I am interested. From Columbus but not an OSU fan so most weekends are good for me. I will share one of my precious PoiZin bottles.

conroo

Luci444 wrote:I am interested. From Columbus but not an OSU fan so most weekends are good for me. I will share one of my precious PoiZin bottles.

Oh, how very gracious of you! Mine are all gone! I'm hoping there will be another offering this fall.

conroo

djvitruvius wrote:The first weekend in October is definitely no good for me. The other weekends in October are all up in the air for me at the moment, so my availability for October (and November for that matter) is tentative at best. So, I may have to sit this one out.

Sorry DJ, you have offered your place twice and the OWWT#1 hasn't come together yet. (We must be driving you mad. Muuwhahahahaha!)
Thank you very, very much for your generosity.

I'm going to post some dates based on what's been noted in this forum as soon as I get home from work. (I'm on a deadline, here)

conroo

H-e-l-l-o-o! Were is everyone?

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege

BUMP! I'm trying to help you get some interest here, conroo! Good luck! Suggest you just pick a date and work from there. No one seems to like to decide.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cjsiege wrote:BUMP! I'm trying to help you get some interest here, conroo! Good luck! Suggest you just pick a date and work from there. No one seems to like to decide.

That's interesting, I was just looking at this thread, thinking that Cleveland is only a few hours from Buffalo. The next month is pretty jammed up, but I could see making the journey to NE Ohio, if the date works. I'd like to see you guys make it happen.
I'm still thinking about trying to get a Western NY tasting set up. I'd host it, but it's starting to look like not until spring.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

conroo

cjsiege wrote:BUMP! I'm trying to help you get some interest here, conroo! Good luck! Suggest you just pick a date and work from there. No one seems to like to decide.

Thanks cjseige!

I will propose Saturday, Oct. 25 in Cleveland, based on the comments of the Ohio wine-wooters.

Anybody second, third, fourth, etc. it? Let's make it happen!

Daystar

I can do any weekend except 9/11-9/14 and 9/26-9/28

MaxAlex

conroo wrote:Thanks cjseige!

I will propose Saturday, Oct. 25 in Cleveland, based on the comments of the Ohio wine-wooters.

Anybody second, third, fourth, etc. it? Let's make it happen!

I'm in for the 25th.

djvitruvius

Best to still list me as up in the air for the 25th, but we'll see what my schedule brings.

Daystar

Is this moving forward?

cjsiege

quality posts: 14 Private Messages cjsiege
Daystar wrote:Is this moving forward?

Appears to be moving forward on 10/25. Check first post - conroo has updated it.

conroo

Daystar wrote:Is this moving forward?

I'm hoping so. We need boatman72, MaxAlex, fermentedwisdom, skrist01, and ddeuddeg to check in and make a commitment one way or another.

Then we need to figure out the other details, such as:
Where
What time
Who's bringing what

:fingers and toes are crossed: