polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Arrived today. No photo as I am leaving to FL in under an hour to visit my daugher.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex

I got my certificate yesterday as well. I am very proud of this accomplishment. I will frame it along with the wine grape varietal table!

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Congrats to both of you. The original post has been updated. No member numbers since it doesn't seem any of us are getting those.

For now I count 5 confirmed wooters. Have I missed anyone? Speak up if I did.

And wow, it's almost a year to the day since I started the thread. One year to try 64 grapes I had never even heard of at the time. Sweeeeet.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen
javadrinker wrote:
For now I count 5 confirmed wooters. Have I missed anyone? Speak up if I did.

Ahh - I'm at 73 (it was 65 less than a month ago.) Could get up to 81 with some of the wines currently in my cellar. Still trying to join you - hopefully soon!!

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex
nmachen wrote:Ahh - I'm at 73 (it was 65 less than a month ago.) Could get up to 81 with some of the wines currently in my cellar. Still trying to join you - hopefully soon!!

Its actuaaly amazing to realize the number of grapes you reaaly try and don't even realize it. Once I knew about the century club I took more notice of teh grapes that were belnded and even began to try other selecetions that I had bnever had before. It was a great ride; one that just continues. Good luck - try some of teh great wines from Greece or Portugal.

nmachen

MaxAlex wrote:Its actuaaly amazing to realize the number of grapes you reaaly try and don't even realize it. Once I knew about the century club I took more notice of teh grapes that were belnded and even began to try other selecetions that I had bnever had before. It was a great ride; one that just continues. Good luck - try some of teh great wines from Greece or Portugal.

How strange, I'm drinking a wine from Portugal while reading your note & did get 2 new varietals in it to bring my current total to 75...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
polarbear22 wrote:Very nice. I sent an e-mail and got a response from Steve that it was just mailed. I have to say I am surprised that you got it in CA before I did in CT. [pout] And I submitted mine first. [/pout]

Way to go. Just don't laminate it and put it on a neck cord like some people we know.

Don't know what you mean. My Century Club Certificate is nicely framed and not laminated at all.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
MaxAlex wrote:Its actuaaly amazing to realize the number of grapes you reaaly try and don't even realize it. Once I knew about the century club I took more notice of teh grapes that were belnded and even began to try other selecetions that I had bnever had before. It was a great ride; one that just continues. Good luck - try some of teh great wines from Greece or Portugal.

Just had some Greek wine, including some retsina. I'm closing in on 90. I need to get some more obscure white wines, I think, to cross the threshold.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

javadrinker

Got a little surprise boost for the second hundred with the house Chianti at a little Italian restaurant last night. Checked the back of the bottle and it turns out the Sangiovese was blended with Canaiolo, Trebbiano Bianco, and Malvasia. Two of those were new for me. So now I'm at 103. This second hundred is going to take awhile.

MarkDaSpark

May 8th is this year's Century Club Celebration.

We’re now 721 members strong and growing! Included in this number are 24 Doppel Members and one Treble Member.
This year, we’re again going to celebrate online (and in local groups in) recognition of the international nature of the club. With a little diligence, focus and graptitute we should be able to make short work of last year's formidable number of 159 grape varieties collectively consumed.
Wherever you may be, please raise a glass of something interesting and delicious on May 8th in honor of the club and the glory that is you. And if at all possible please post a short note about the wine you had on the Wine Century Club Site. The note can be as simple as the name of the wine and its grape variety(ies).

The Wall Street Journal wants to meet you

For some reason*, the Wall Street Journal is desperate to cover the event this year. If you're interested in getting a group of members together on the 8th and have space for a Wall Street Journal reporter, please let me know.
If you happen to be in London, England on May 8th, please join me, Deborah De Long and Paula Sindberg at Paula’s giant wacky wine tasting. To sign up, please contact Paula.
Hope to see you online (or in London) on May 8th!

Veni, Vino, Vici!

Steve

*The reason must be related to the fact that we are AWESOME!

Anyone want to get together and see if we have enough people for the WSJ?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
MarkDaSpark wrote:May 8th is this year's Century Club Celebration.

Anyone want to get together and see if we have enough people for the WSJ?

How about he or she comes on the boat?

I have to fill in my form, I've been very lax.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
Krugsters wrote:How about he or she comes on the boat?

I have to fill in my form, I've been very lax.

I've just filled out my form and have over 150. Geez. sad.

Huexelrebe, Reichensteiner, Phoenix, Madeline Angevine, Triomphe, Regent, Rondo, in England added to the mix.

shamer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages shamer
Krugsters wrote:I've just filled out my form and have over 150. Geez. sad.

Huexelrebe, Reichensteiner, Phoenix, Madeline Angevine, Triomphe, Regent, Rondo, in England added to the mix.

The finest English grapes! (Just checking my avatar really)

nmachen

Now at 89 - getting closer!!!

- Maria Robinson

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Anybody need Aligote for their application?

Rare Wine Company is offering 2007 Jean-Philippe Fichet Bourgogne Aligote for $17.50 a bottle or $199 a case, plus $15 a case shipping in California and $25 a case shipping outside California. It will be delivered sometime later this spring. I'm tempted to get a fair bit, and then distribute around.

Anybody interested?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice
JOATMON wrote:Anybody need Aligote for their application?

If you're in Texas, I would be interested.

Z

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill

I just hit 100 this week! Number 100 was a good, sparkling Prosecco. Very nice for the price. I don't plan to turn in the form until I get to about 110-115, just to be sure, since I've added about 13 at the bottom.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

JOATMON

zmanonice wrote:If you're in Texas, I would be interested.

Z

I'll be in Dallas November 7-12, if that helps.

(as of 2011-03-02)

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

I tried a 100% Marquette from Vermont last weekend. It was not good.

signed.

MarkDaSpark

Wine Century Club Birthday Celebration!

Today is the big day!

Please raise a glass of something interesting and delicious in honor of the club and the glory that is you. And if at all possible please post a short note about the wine you had on the Wine Century Club Website. The note can be as simple as the name of the wine and its grape variety(ies).

It's just noon on the East Coast and we're already up to 77 grapes, which is nearly half way to last year's 159 varieties!

Another interesting development is that since I announced this year's tasting we now have a quattro (400 varieties) member, 3 treble members and 28 doppel members! Congratulations to Thomas Reagan Jr. as our current grape champ with 426 varieties!

You may also want to attend one of the local meet-ups and events. Please check with the contact person for space availability for each event.

New York City:
Snooth.com Headquarters
a BYOB party from 4-8 pm May 8th
Snooth, Inc.
162 Madison Ave, Floor 4
New York, NY 10016
rsvp: Constance Chamberlain constance_chamberlain @ comcast.net

Washington, DC
Washington Wine Academy
Tasting of 25 Uncommon Varietals
May 8th 7-9PM
$36.50
1201 South Eads, Suite 400
Arlington, VA 22202

Kansas City, Missouri
Wines by Jennifer Wine Garden
2:00 PM – 3:30 PM May 8th
405 Main Street
Parkville, Missouri 64152
RSVP: Don and Jennifer Stanton 816.505.WINE

Redwood City, CA (San Francisco Bay Area)
Savvy Cellar
8:00 PM – 10:00 PM May 8th
2048 Broadway Street
Redwood City, CA
RSVP: Marni Rubin marnirubinwines @ ymail.com

Hendersonville, NC
Blue Water Seafood and Wine Cellar
532 Kanuga Road,
Hendersonville, NC
May 8th
BYOB w/ $15.00 cover.
RSVP: 828.697.0503 Keith Dalbec kpdalbec @ morrisbb.net

Milton, DE
Oak Creek Wine and Spirits
28266 Lewes Georgetown Highway
Milton, DE
May 8th 4 to 7 p.m
Wine Tasting and Membership Drive! Our goal is to sign up 50 new future members!
RSVP: 302-684-2929 Bernie Knowllinger

San Antonio, TX
Wine 101
14743 Old Bandera Road
Helotes, TX 78023, United States
(210) 372-9002
May 8th 7 p.m
$10 plus the cost of the wine you drink
RSVP: 302-684-2929 fahnert @ aol.com

Columbus, OH
Tutto Vino
Wine Cellar & Bistro
7178 Muirfield Drive
Dublin, Ohio 43017
Saturday, May 8
5:00 pm to 8 pm
$30 per person plus the cost of the wine you drink
RSVP: 614/799.9222 molly @ tutto-vino.com

Cheers,

Steve

So raise a glass of a new varietal today!!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

If you're looking for new varietals, there's a $10 Picpoul on WL with free shipping

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

JOATMON

kylemittskus wrote:If you're looking for new varietals, there's a $10 Picpoul on WL with free shipping

Thanks for the heads-up. Bottle ordered.

My first Wine Library purchase. I hope this doesn't turn out like another wine.woot.

(as of 2011-03-02)

kylemittskus

JOATMON wrote:Thanks for the heads-up. Bottle ordered.

My first Wine Library purchase. I hope this doesn't turn out like another wine.woot.

Really?! I've made multiple purchases and one from CW (although MANY more have tempted me). Either way, no worries.

JOATMON

kylemittskus wrote:Really?! I've made multiple purchases and one from CW (although MANY more have tempted me). Either way, no worries.

The vast vast majority of wine I drink comes from Wine.Woot.

I have some bottles from the last RPM tour, which I guess could be indirectly considered Wine.Woot. I have madeiras I order from Rare Wine Company, along with a few other wines (Tokaji Essencia, for one). I buy Domain Chandon Blanc de Noir as an everyday drinker. I get a bottle here and there for the pursuit of the 100% century club. I get some wine at restaurants when i eat out. And everything else is Wine.Woot.

And I don't drink fast enough.

(as of 2011-03-02)

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
JOATMON wrote:The vast vast majority of wine I drink comes from Wine.Woot.

I have some bottles from the last RPM tour, which I guess could be indirectly considered Wine.Woot. I have madeiras I order from Rare Wine Company, along with a few other wines (Tokaji Essencia, for one). I buy Domain Chandon Blanc de Noir as an everyday drinker. I get a bottle here and there for the pursuit of the 100% century club. I get some wine at restaurants when i eat out. And everything else is Wine.Woot.

And I don't drink fast enough.

I drink a lot of wtso and have friends in retail who can get me real discounts.

signed.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

I went to a small "obscure varietals" tasting last week. Some weren't that obscure, just rare, like Scheurebe and Nerello, but I actually had several of which I had never heard, including Romorantin (a sibling of Chardonnay and Aligote), Kisi (from "old" Georgia), and Hondarrabi beltza (Basque w/ Cabernet-like aromas).

kylemittskus

Another Wine Library free shipping offer that includes some obscure varietals: Clairette and Rolle (Vermentino). Unfortunately, it's farmed VDDD (if you care).

kylemittskus

Once again, WL's free shipping site is offering another obscure varietal: a Falanghina.

JOATMON

Merriman's Market Cafe in Waikoloa is a restaurant that seems to specialize in the more obscure varietals in the wines they carry. They only have 36 wines on their list, all available by the glass, and among them they have the following varietals:

Albarino 100%
Aleatico
Barbera 100%
Cabernet Sauvignon
Carignan
Chardonnay 100%
Drupeggio Malvasia
Garnacha/Grenache 100%
Grechetto
Malvasia Nera
Merlot
Monastrel/Mourvedre 100%
Moscato Fior d'Arancio/Orange Muscat
Moschofilero 100%
Naoussa
Negroamaro
Pinot Bianco/Pinot Blanc 100%?
Pinot Grigio 100%
Pinot Noir
Procanico
Prosecco 100%
Riesling
Sangiovese
Sauvignon Blanc
Syrah
Tempranillo
Tinto Francesca
Tinto Nacional
Tocai
Touriga
Trepat
Verdejo 100%
Verdello/Verdelho
Verdicchio 100%
Vermentino 100%
Viognier

That's 36 varietals, some of which you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere. And there may be others; some of the lines listed on the wine list don't list all the varietals present.

Going there for dinner has certainly helped me in filling out my Wine Century Club application.

(as of 2011-03-02)

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

Just hit 100 tonight with having the 08 Uvaggio Vermentino. I'll probably add 5 or so more just in case I do have dupes due to variations in names but I think I've got it.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

kylemittskus

InShadows wrote:Just hit 100 tonight with having the 08 Uvaggio Vermentino. I'll probably add 5 or so more just in case I do have dupes due to variations in names but I think I've got it.

Woot!!! I really need to start a sheet.

JOATMON

I am sucking on a Kenneth Volk 2006 Cabernet Pfeffer tonight.

Yeah, you read that right: Cabernet Pfeffer. Known elsewhere as Gros Verdot, it's grown in about three vineyards in California.

It definitely lives up to it's "pfeffer" moniker; cab with a peppery layer. Actually quite tasty.

(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:Woot!!! I really need to start a sheet.

Download the Excel spreadsheet from their site.

Someone now has 431 varietals tasted, and they just beat out someone who had 417!

And think I'm only at 157 now ... must drink out more!!!

MarkDaSpark

DOPPEL, TREBLE & QUATTRO MEMBERSHIP
In addition to regular membership, we also recognize serious grape nuts who have tried at least 200 (Doppel), 300 (Treble) or 400 (Quattro) varieties.

A big help in the quest for Doppel+ membership is the expanded application and database developed by Dr. Thomas Mercer-Hursh. You can find both on his site, A Muse in the Cellar.

Basically, you have to copy from the database into the expanded application, instead of marking an 'X' in the original Excel/Word form.

The database is nice, in that it lists the country of origin, so it can help you find what section to look in for those pesky varietals.

zmanonice

quality posts: 21 Private Messages zmanonice
MarkDaSpark wrote:Download the Excel spreadsheet from their site.

Thanks Sparky. Been sitting at 80 for a while, but I have at least 10 varieties that aren't on the checklist. Will have to check the database to see if they are valid. Pesky countries have to use a different name for the same grape!

Z

bahwm

quality posts: 28 Private Messages bahwm
SonomaBouliste wrote:I went to a small "obscure varietals" tasting last week. Some weren't that obscure, just rare, like Scheurebe and Nerello, but I actually had several of which I had never heard, including Romorantin (a sibling of Chardonnay and Aligote), Kisi (from "old" Georgia), and Hondarrabi beltza (Basque w/ Cabernet-like aromas).

SB, we had a Handurrabi Zuri at Sip & Sail last August! I guess they're related somehow. Haven't checked yet. Just saw your post.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

May 26th -- Wine Century Club Anniversary

Time to drink a different varietal that day!!!

MarkDaSpark

Happy 6th Birthday, Wine Century Club!

Global Tasting Challenge is today.

Happy Birthday to us!

Wherever you may be, please raise a glass of the most obscure wine you can find in honor of the club and the glory that is you. And if at all possible please post a short note about the wine you had on the Wine Century Club Site. The note can be as simple as the name of the wine and where it came from

We're going to see just how many different global wine regions that we can collectively taste - AVAs, US States, California Counties, AOCs, AOPs, DOCs, DOs, IGTs, VDPs, IGPs etc. etc. all count. Subregions count. If in doubt, just write in all of the location info from the label.

We've already had a couple of early postings from members in the US.

Hope to see you online today!

Veni, Vino, Vici!

Steve DeLong

As if I had to ask this group to drink!

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Happy 6th Birthday, Wine Century Club!

Global Tasting Challenge is today.

As if I had to ask this group to drink!

I need to get the list out and add to it!

Mabye that'll be a goal by the end of the year.

javadrinker

So I haven't had a chance to really update the lead post in awhile...anyone new to the Century Club that wasn't included in this list?

Loweeel: Century Club member #464
MarkDaSpark: Century Club member #465?
javadrinker
polarbear22
MaxAlex