annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Was waiting for me on my return from Chicago Old Wine Tasting (aka Chicago W.W. Tasting #9)!

I think they lost my original email back in November, since they said we're up to 529 members now. And they didn't tell me my number, nor is it on the cert.

Woo hoo!! Yay for Mark!

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

There is currently a bottle of 100% corvina on wtso for whoever was trying to do the century with unblended wines.

signed.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 173 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
annsalisbury wrote:Woo hoo!! Yay for Mark!

Thanks!

And the new official Century Club website is now up!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Loweeel wrote:My Century Club certificate arrived today! I'm am the world's 464th member. :-D

Maybe I am the 465th member. That's the number on the official site. Don't remember where the other number came from .... it was in the letter that came with the cert. Guess they're backlogged on updating the official site.

And it appears they have a birthday bash/party (4th annual upcoming) in April in NYC. No date yet, but that's what they've done each year.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

porterlu

quality posts: 0 Private Messages porterlu
MarkDaSpark wrote:
...the new official Century Club website is now up!

The website seems to be down. Not sure for how long or why, but if anyone is looking for the application, I found a .xls version located here:
http://www.theheads.org/wine/application.xls

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
porterlu wrote:The website seems to be down. Not sure for how long or why, but if anyone is looking for the application, I found a .xls version located here:

And it's already filled out!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori
otolith wrote:
And it's already filled out!

Cool! That will save both time and my liver.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MarkDaSpark wrote:Maybe I am the 465th member. That's the number on the official site. Don't remember where the other number came from .... it was in the letter that came with the cert. Guess they're backlogged on updating the official site.

And it appears they have a birthday bash/party (4th annual upcoming) in April in NYC. No date yet, but that's what they've done each year.

Finally got around to updating the original post with your landmark accomplishment (and your presumed club number). WTG man!!!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

porterlu wrote:The website seems to be down. Not sure for how long or why, but if anyone is looking for the application, I found a .xls version located here:

It's back up again. And you should be able to find the application on the DeLong web site as well.

And they've updated the member number to 539.

annsalisbury

For you 100 percenters, I found some wines at Wine Exchange (www.winex.com) today that might help you: a 100% Corvina and a 100% Arinto, both for $9.99.

yumitori

quality posts: 22 Private Messages yumitori

So I started tracking this recently, and I have already found two varietals that aren't on the application form without even trying - Souzão & Négrette.

Am I just not aware of other names for these grapes and they are actually listed, or am I correct to add them in? What other additional ones have folks come across?

MarkDaSpark

yumitori wrote:So I started tracking this recently, and I have already found two varietals that aren't on the application form without even trying - Souzão & Négrette.

Am I just not aware of other names for these grapes and they are actually listed, or am I correct to add them in? What other additional ones have folks come across?

I had to add Souzão in as well on my app. And I am suprised that Négrette isn't on the app, since it is on the DeLong's variatel listings.

But anything you aren't sure of, do a quick google search to see if it known as a different name, and add it to the list if it's not on it.

About 13 of my 100+ weren't on the list either. I totaled 104 when I sent it in.

annsalisbury

yumitori wrote:So I started tracking this recently, and I have already found two varietals that aren't on the application form without even trying - Souzão & Négrette.

I cross-referenced varietal names with the Wine Lover's Companion to make sure that I didn't double (or triple) count varietals that have more than one name (and yet somehow added Monastrell even though they have Grenache listed - D'oh!). If the Companion is not available to you, try the "grapes" link at www.winegeeks.com, or Wikipedia.

I found that the Century list did not contain a number of the grapes that make up a port blend, nor Negrette and Lenoir.

merryberry

quality posts: 10 Private Messages merryberry

The list the Century Club provides on their website lumps Zinfandel and Primitivo together, yet I've seen wine labels that list them as separate grapes in a blend. I also remember some discussion here on the topic a while back, and I think the consensus then was that while they may have a shared lineage, genetic testing had proven they were different grapes.

Any thoughts? Can I list them separately on the form and take credit for 2 varietals (after I consume a recently purchased 100% Primitivo-labeled bottle)?

I'm currently at 69, although that's probably overstated since I've added 14 to the end of the list that I haven't completed due-diligence on (to make sure I'm not double-counting an alternative-named grape). For example, I just recently learned that Mourvedre = Monastrell = Mataro. I suspect that Muscat Ottonel = Orange Muscat, but I haven't confirmed it. And what the heck is Symphony (in Scott Harvey's One Last Kiss White)?

My Cellar in CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
merryberry wrote:The list the Century Club provides on their website lumps Zinfandel and Primitivo together, yet I've seen wine labels that list them as separate grapes in a blend. I also remember some discussion here on the topic a while back, and I think the consensus then was that while they may have a shared lineage, genetic testing had proven they were different grapes.

Any thoughts? Can I list them separately on the form and take credit for 2 varietals (after I consume a recently purchased 100% Primitivo-labeled bottle)?

I'm currently at 69, although that's probably overstated since I've added 14 to the end of the list that I haven't completed due-diligence on (to make sure I'm not double-counting an alternative-named grape). For example, I just recently learned that Mourvedre = Monastrell = Mataro. I suspect that Muscat Ottonel = Orange Muscat, but I haven't confirmed it. And what the heck is Symphony (in Scott Harvey's One Last Kiss White)?

Symphony is a separate grape. have not seen it under other names. Very light white. I made some Symphony and it was great cold on the patio before dinner.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

annsalisbury

merryberry wrote:The list the Century Club provides on their website lumps Zinfandel and Primitivo together, yet I've seen wine labels that list them as separate grapes in a blend. I also remember some discussion here on the topic a while back, and I think the consensus then was that while they may have a shared lineage, genetic testing had proven they were different grapes.

According to the Wine Lover's Companion, Orange Muscat is a separate variety of Muscat, and Muscat Ottonel (aka Muskotaly) is thought to be a cross between an unknown strain of Muscat and Chasselas.

I wrote in Orange Muscat.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
annsalisbury wrote:According to the Wine Lover's Companion, Orange Muscat is a separate variety of Muscat, and Muscat Ottonel (aka Muskotaly) is thought to be a cross between an unknown strain of Muscat and Chasselas.

I wrote in Orange Muscat.

As did I. Quady Essensia and Mandolina 2007 Moscato.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

According to this article, they (Zin and Primo) are genetic twins.

According to the wikipedia article:

Primitivo was brought to California in 1968, and ampelographers declared it identical to Zinfandel in 1972.

So they should be considered the same ....

polarbear22

I had a bottle of Amarone last week. When I looked it up, it is a Corvina blend, and I got three new varietals. Currently at about 95, and just got a special order bottle of Charbono to add that varietal.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

The Wine Century Club annual shindig on May 7th.

We’re now 590 members strong and growing!

This year, instead of our annual shindig in New York City, we’re going to celebrate online in recognition of the international nature of the club (not to mention the massive global financial meltdown).

Wherever you may be, please raise a glass of something interesting and delicious on May 7th in honor of the club and the glory that is you. Bask in grapeness, recite the sacred oath and if at all possible please post a short note about the wine you had here. The note can be as simple as the name of the wine and its grape variety(ies).

It would be amazing if we could collectively taste 100 or more different grape varieties that day. It would be more amazing if we could taste over 200 in honor of the newly minted Doppel Members.

If you happen to be in London, England on May 7th, please join me, Deborah De Long and Paula Sindberg at Paula’s giant Swiss wine tasting. We’ll be toasting the anniversary with Heida (Païen), Cornalin, Resi, Lafnetscha, Gamaret, and Gwäss(yes, these are grape varieties!). To sign up, please contact Paula.

Swiss Wines – Grape Varieties You’ve NEVER Heard Of
Date – 7 May 2009 (Thursday)
Venue – Bacchus & Comus, 57 Pelham Street (private home), London SW7 2NJ
Time – 6:30 – 8:00 pm
Cost - £40/person – sorry but Swiss wines are expensive!

This tasting will feature 12 (!!) unique grape varieties that you’ve probably have never heard of so it’s a real opportunity to add to your grape variety “life list”.
All these wines are rare and seldom made anywhere, even in Switzerland. Most are from the Valais, that beautiful valley along which the Rhône River flows on the way from to Zermatt. The tiny producers here make some outstanding wines. The wines aren’t cheap but, then, what is in Switzerland. So to experience the pleasures of Heida (Païen), Cornalin, Resi, Lafnetscha, Gamaret, and Gwäss, among others, join us on 7 May. Book & pay in advance to secure your place.

Yes, you read correctly. There are some who have tasted 200 or more varietals. Doppel Members.

New Goal!!!

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:I had a bottle of Amarone last week. When I looked it up, it is a Corvina blend, and I got three new varietals. Currently at about 95, and just got a special order bottle of Charbono to add that varietal.

Congratulations to PolarBear for hitting 100+ varietals at the Buffalo/WNY #1 tasting!

And it also helped me on my way to 200!

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Congratulations to PolarBear for hitting 100+ varietals at the Buffalo/WNY #1 tasting!

And it also helped me on my way to 200!

Thanks. Now to complete my application and get it in.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

Happy Bday to Wine Century Club Members!

Today is the day to celebrate and drink some new varietals!

Happy Birthday to us!

Wherever you may be, please raise a glass of something interesting and delicious today in honor of the club and the glory that is you. Bask in grapeness, recite the sacred oath, wear your tastevin, and if at all possible please post a short note about the wine you had on the Wine Century Club Site. The note can be as simple as the name of the wine and its grape variety(ies).

It would be amazing if we could collectively taste 100 or more different grape varieties that day - I'll keep a tally. It would be more amazing if we could taste over 200 in honor of the newly minted Doppel Members.

Please have a look at the running tally if you're undecided as to what bottle to open up tonight. Yes, Merlot might put us over the top!

Veni, Vino, Vici!

Steve

Wine Century Club

Hmmm, what to taste later ....

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Thanks. Now to complete my application and get it in.

Did you get your certificate yet? And order your Tastevin?

Up to 125 for the Doppel club ...

MaxAlex

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MaxAlex

Just a query. I finally completed my application and sent it in. What a great feat! When should I expect a response? Anyone know how long the process takes? Anyone else from Ohio in the club as well?

polarbear22

No certificate yet for me. (I assume I will learn how to order my tastevin when I get the cert. If not, Sparky can you give me details?)

I sent in the application via e-mail on 5/25 I think.

My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

MaxAlex wrote:Just a query. I finally completed my application and sent it in. What a great feat! When should I expect a response? Anyone know how long the process takes? Anyone else from Ohio in the club as well?

Depends. I sent mine in to them in November, but it got lost, so I didn't get mine until late January. I think they usually take 2 weeks or so.

And no wooters from Ohio, but check their site out, as they have groups all over.

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:No certificate yet for me. (I assume I will learn how to order my tastevin when I get the cert. If not, Sparky can you give me details?)

You can order the Tastevin via the DeLong's web site.

And you might want to follow-up on your email with Steve in the main thread. Sometimes they lose the emails.

javadrinker

polarbear22 wrote:No certificate yet for me. (I assume I will learn how to order my tastevin when I get the cert. If not, Sparky can you give me details?)

I sent mine in via e-mail on 6/22. No response at all so far. Let me know when (if) you get yours.

stevedelong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stevedelong
javadrinker wrote:I sent mine in via e-mail on 6/22. No response at all so far. Let me know when (if) you get yours.

I'm sorry about the delay - the next batch of certificates are going out tomorrow 1st Class Mail from London UK.

polarbear22

stevedelong wrote:I'm sorry about the delay - the next batch of certificates are going out tomorrow 1st Class Mail from London UK.

Thanks!! I was just going to send an e-mail since it has been nearly 8 weeks for me. But now I don't have to.

I will have to frame it right next to the wine chart. Have to go home and determine if I have a spot for the map. Which really means, find a spot for the map.

My Cellar

stevedelong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stevedelong
polarbear22 wrote:Thanks!! I was just going to send an e-mail since it has been nearly 8 weeks for me. But now I don't have to.

I will have to frame it right next to the wine chart. Have to go home and determine if I have a spot for the map. Which really means, find a spot for the map.

Yes, a spot for the map is very important! ;)

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
stevedelong wrote:Yes, a spot for the map is very important! ;)

When people submit applications with write-in grapes, do you guys review them to make sure they don't include synonyms as separate grapes? Or is that the submitter's responsibility?

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

javadrinker

stevedelong wrote:I'm sorry about the delay - the next batch of certificates are going out tomorrow 1st Class Mail from London UK.

Wow...thanks Steve!!!

nmachen

quality posts: 35 Private Messages nmachen

OK - after all the recent discussion about the Century Club here, I had to go download the app & see what my current total was (confident in the diversity of my taste and cellar...)

This is a lot harder than it sounds! I went through lists of tastings I've been to, cellartracker records, etc. and came up stuck at 65.

It appears I'm going to have to spend a lot more time in the "Misc" section of the wine shops for a while.

I hope to join you Century Wooters sometime soon - save a spot for me in the club.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
- Maria Robinson

MarkDaSpark

nmachen wrote:OK - after all the recent discussion about the Century Club here, I had to go download the app & see what my current total was (confident in the diversity of my taste and cellar...)

This is a lot harder than it sounds! I went through lists of tastings I've been to, cellartracker records, etc. and came up stuck at 65.

It appears I'm going to have to spend a lot more time in the "Misc" section of the wine shops for a while.

I hope to join you Century Wooters sometime soon - save a spot for me in the club.

We will. Also you should keep your eye out for woot gatherings. We've had a few with specific eyes out for interesting varietals.

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

131 and counting (and each verified as its own varietal, no repeats b/c of different regional names) after this weekend.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

polarbear22

Still no info from them on my application. So I just sent a follow-up e-mail with a copy of the application. They really should acknowledge receipt of the message at least.

My Cellar

javadrinker

polarbear22 wrote:Still no info from them on my application. So I just sent a follow-up e-mail with a copy of the application. They really should acknowledge receipt of the message at least.

Have a little patience my friend...

polarbear22

javadrinker wrote:Have a little patience my friend...

Very nice. I sent an e-mail and got a response from Steve that it was just mailed. I have to say I am surprised that you got it in CA before I did in CT. [pout] And I submitted mine first. [/pout]

Way to go. Just don't laminate it and put it on a neck cord like some people we know.

My Cellar