Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

My Century Club certificate arrived today! I'm am the world's 464th member. :-D

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Cesare

quality posts: 1651 Private Messages Cesare
canonizer wrote:I had this bottle last night, which was 60% Tannat.

iByron wrote:That's (Laplace) a good cheap Madiran, if a bit soft (but then it's a third label of the famed Chateau D'Aydie). See my notes on the 2004.

iByron

Gary just had it on the show today.

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron
Cesare wrote:Gary just had it on the show today.

Thanks, Pio!

He's not kidding though. I've had some high-end 100% Tannat Madirans. It is not a wine to be trifled with. He's going to leave that 3rd label 60% Laplace open for three days. He'll probably have moreto say about it then. I've left some 100% open for a month and it still bit me back! And the stuff from Uruguay is only a wee bit tamer.

I must make a cassoulet again to welcome in winter. Cassoulet and Madiran are a natural pair (though neither is for the faint of heart).
iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

Loweeel

iByron wrote:Thanks, Pio!

He's not kidding though. I've had some high-end 100% Tannat Madirans. It is not a wine to be trifled with. He's going to leave that 3rd label 60% Laplace open for three days. He'll probably have moreto say about it then. I've left some 100% open for a month and it still bit me back! And the stuff from Uruguay is only a wee bit tamer.

I must make a cassoulet again to welcome in winter. Cassoulet and Madiran are a natural pair (though neither is for the faint of heart).
iByron

Sounds like a perfect item for our 12/20 Wootmas party!

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
Loweeel wrote:My Century Club certificate arrived today! I'm am the world's 464th member. :-D

Congrats brotha!!! The original post has been edited to note your accomplishment. Tbyrd and I helped Sparky break the century mark tonight so you should have some company soon.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
MarkDaSpark wrote:Oooh .... that would be great! But not sure I can hold out that long. This week, I might get the cert before Xmas .....

Got some in mind:

2003 Chateau Musar Cuvée Blanc Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (Obaideh).

2007 Bodegas Ostatu Rioja Spain (Viura).

2005 Vinas de Vila Tinto Fundacion Argentina, Mendoza (Bonarda, Malbec, & CS)

Sorry CJ, Java & TimB helped me reach 100. Takes 4-6 weeks to process, so this way, I might get it before New Year's .... Yahoo!

The Viura is the same as Macabeo on the Century Club chart, and I already had it. With Rioja Blanco, Viura is the prominent grape (also known as Macabeo) and is normally blended with some Malvasía and Garnacha Blanca.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
Loweeel wrote:My Century Club certificate arrived today! I'm am the world's 464th member. :-D
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sorry CJ, Java & TimB helped me reach 100. Takes 4-6 weeks to process, so this way, I might get it before New Year's .... Yahoo!

The Viura is the same as Macabeo on the Century Club chart, and I already had it. With Rioja Blanco, Viura is the prominent grape (also known as Macabeo) and is normally blended with some Malvasía and Garnacha Blanca.

congrats!
x 10!

iByron

Okay, I was able to get to 43 using only 100% varietal wines, and a blend of two varietals (Trebbiano and Malvasia) got me to 45. I have not counted any ports.

I'd like to have at least 50% be 100% varietal wines, but that could be difficult.

BTW, for those of you who had the Nissley Vineyards Whisper White at NoVA/DC #3 (the first one at Hershel's), the wine was 70% blend of Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc & Cayuga. The remaining 30% was, of course, Bosc Pear.

Your Private WIneaux

iByron

So think back to your college days.

If you drank Black Tower (the black bottle), you've had Rivaner

If you drank Blue Nun Liebfraumilch (not the current QbA), you've had Müller-Thurgau

Still trying to verify what Kellergeister was/is.

Your Private WIneaux

Loweeel

iByron wrote:Okay, I was able to get to 43 using only 100% varietal wines, and a blend of two varietals (Trebbiano and Malvasia) got me to 45. I have not counted any ports.

I'd like to have at least 50% be 100% varietal wines, but that could be difficult.

BTW, for those of you who had the Nissley Vineyards Whisper White at NoVA/DC #2 (the first one at Hershel's), the wine was 70% blend of Seyval Blanc, Vidal Blanc & Cayuga. The remaining 30% was, of course, Bosc Pear.

I think the first at Hershel's was #3. I hosted the first 2.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

iByron

Loweeel wrote:I think the first at Hershel's was #3. I hosted the first 2.

You know I was thinking that as I typed, too. Must still be feeling the effects of Wellington's Victory.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux

MarkDaSpark

iByron wrote:So think back to your college days.

If you drank Black Tower (the black bottle), you've had Rivaner

If you drank Blue Nun Liebfraumilch (not the current QbA), you've had Müller-Thurgau

Still trying to verify what Kellergeister was/is.

NOW you tell me. Oh well, two more for the surplus side of 100 .....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

DeLong's Wine Varietal Chart is back, with the Index for those who missed it last time .....

stevedelong

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stevedelong

Thank you javadrinker for starting this thread!

And congrats to Loweeel and MarkDaSpark for making it to the century mark.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't know about this thread until now. If anyone has any questions about the club, please let me know.

Veni Vino Vici!

Steve De Long
President
The Wine Century Club

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

If'n you are trying for the 100% club, Coppola has just released a Magenta Label 100% Alicante Bouschet. It's available at Cost Plus World Market for $14.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah
JOATMON wrote:If'n you are trying for the 100% club, Coppola has just released a Magenta Label 100% Alicante Bouschet. It's available at Cost Plus World Market for $14.

It's in Noir de Noirs.

But I'll have ot pick that up. I like Alicante!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

javadrinker

PetiteSirah wrote:It's in Noir de Noirs.

But I'll have ot pick that up. I like Alicante!

No no...he's one of those unrealistic chaps trying to reach the Century Club by only drinking wines that are a 100% of a single grape variety.

I, however, harbor no such limitations...1% in a blend is good enough for me.

And updated count...82!!!!

And I still haven't opened my Noir de Noirs. Maybe during the holidays.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

I'm at 15.

This should be a good challenge.

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

and now for an update to my progress with a little help from some lyrics..

We're half way there
Livin' on a prayer
Take my hand and we'll make it - I swear
Livin' on a prayer

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

I need some help. I bought this wine at Costco as a century club contributor, but now I can't remember which grapes were in it. Maybe your google kungfu is better than mine?

edit: apparently if I look at Cellartracker, it is Insolia? Is that right?

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
aces219 wrote:I need some help. I bought this wine at Costco as a century club contributor, but now I can't remember which grapes were in it. Maybe your google kungfu is better than mine?

tried to independently verify, but couldn't - back to google judo 101! :P

do you know... what biodynamics is?

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
aces219 wrote:I need some help. I bought this wine at Costco as a century club contributor, but now I can't remember which grapes were in it. Maybe your google kungfu is better than mine?

I haz GoogleFu.

Info on the Inzolia grape

Confirmation on Giordano Inzolia whatever it was... just increase the size and scroll to the right. It's there.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

themostrighteous

cheron98 wrote:I haz GoogleFu.

Info on the Inzolia grape

Confirmation on Giordano Inzolia whatever it was... just increase the size and scroll to the right. It's there.

did you mean the Inzolia Sicilia Bianco IGT? that is not the name of the wine that aces linked to CT. just my $0.02.

MarkDaSpark

themostrighteous wrote:did you mean the Inzolia Sicilia Bianco IGT? that is not the name of the wine that aces linked to CT. just my $0.02.

According to my De Long's Wine Grape Varietal Table, it's Inzolia. Google search shows both spellings though.

And FYI, the DeLong's web site is having problems. I called it in to them.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
themostrighteous wrote:did you mean the Inzolia Sicilia Bianco IGT? that is not the name of the wine that aces linked to CT. just my $0.02.

well, that page i linked to is a listing of the Giordano wines. And her listing says "Giordano Bianco Gold Label Sicilia IGT". And the page is Giordano Inzolia Sicilia Bianco IGT. That's pretty darn close. CT sometimes does funny things that make the name weird, depending on how the user enters it. If there was no "Gold Label" designation put in, it would match. You can do better? Have at it.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

annsalisbury

quality posts: 4 Private Messages annsalisbury

So very, very close...

Thank goodness for CellarTracker. We got 2/3rds of the way there just by looking at a report of consumption by varietal. I then spent an embarrassingly large number of hours looking up various blends on winery websites. Because I'm completely AR, I spent a few more hours cross-referencing varietal names with the Wine Lover's Companion to make sure that I didn't double (or triple) count varietals that have more than one name.

After all that, I found myself at 97.

Fortunately, Wine Exchange has an advanced search by varietal. I found three I didn't have and took the hubs shopping. We grabbed four new varietals, so by the end of the week, I should be mailing my app.

But I'm not quite sure where my weekend went.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
annsalisbury wrote:So very, very close...

Thank goodness for CellarTracker. We got 2/3rds of the way there just by looking at a report of consumption by varietal. I then spent an embarrassingly large number of hours looking up various blends on winery websites. Because I'm completely AR, I spent a few more hours cross-referencing varietal names with the Wine Lover's Companion to make sure that I didn't double (or triple) count varietals that have more than one name.

After all that, I found myself at 97.

Fortunately, Wine Exchange has an advanced search by varietal. I found three I didn't have and took the hubs shopping. We grabbed four new varietals, so by the end of the week, I should be mailing my app.

But I'm not quite sure where my weekend went.

Way to go. I have about a dozen to go. Need to do what you just did.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

javadrinker

polarbear22 wrote:Way to go. I have about a dozen to go. Need to do what you just did.

Same boat. Added a few more varieties this weekend so only 14 left to go.

annsalisbury

javadrinker wrote:Same boat. Added a few more varieties this weekend so only 14 left to go.

If enough people were willing to come to OC for a tasting, I could ask Wine Exchange to set one up with "unusual varietals." I can't promise they would do one, but if there were enough interest, I would certainly suggest it to them.

javadrinker

annsalisbury wrote:If enough people were willing to come to OC for a tasting, I could ask Wine Exchange to set one up with "unusual varietals." I can't promise they would do one, but if there were enough interest, I would certainly suggest it to them.

You might not have been checking the boards back then but we had a woot gathering in Vegas last November where we focused on the lesser known varietals. I think we knocked some 20+ wines off of our lists during the course of the evening. You also missed a So Cal gathering at my place in Fullerton just yesterday. Hopefully you can make a future gathering.

Still, Wine Exchange is close enough to several of us that it would be fun if they could put something like that together. Let us know what they say.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
edthebedhead wrote:I'm at 15.

This should be a good challenge.

17!!

annsalisbury

javadrinker wrote:You might not have been checking the boards back then but we had a woot gathering in Vegas last November where we focused on the lesser known varietals. I think we knocked some 20+ wines off of our lists during the course of the evening. You also missed a So Cal gathering at my place in Fullerton just yesterday. Hopefully you can make a future gathering.

Still, Wine Exchange is close enough to several of us that it would be fun if they could put something like that together. Let us know what they say.

I was bummed about missing the 17th, but we had already made dinner plans for that date the month before. I won't make February either, but perhaps the March gathering.

I'll contact Wine Exchange and see what they say. I think their themes are set for all of January and February. Maybe March?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I am going to be sooooo far behind all of you cats, but nevertheless! I am starting my own checklist and working my way to 100. Wish me luck and few hang overs.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
annsalisbury wrote:I was bummed about missing the 17th, but we had already made dinner plans for that date the month before. I won't make February either, but perhaps the March gathering.

I'll contact Wine Exchange and see what they say. I think their themes are set for all of January and February. Maybe March?

I just crossed 50 - ports rock for varietals! - and I drive by WineEx each night on my way home. Hope this idea works out.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
merbill wrote:I just crossed 50 - ports rock for varietals! - and I drive by WineEx each night on my way home. Hope this idea works out.

Where is this place?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

annsalisbury

Wine Exchange is in Orange, off the 55 Fwy, in what used to be The Mall of Orange (now known as The Village). Link to the website.

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 238 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

85 that I know for sure, and probably several more in French, Italian and Spanish blends over the years. Plus a few that aren't on the list. I've only made wine from 37 of the listed varieties.

MarkDaSpark

Was waiting for me on my return from Chicago Old Wine Tasting (aka Chicago W.W. Tasting #9)!

I think they lost my original email back in November, since they said we're up to 529 members now. And they didn't tell me my number, nor is it on the cert.

themostrighteous

SonomaBouliste wrote:85 that I know for sure, and probably several more in French, Italian and Spanish blends over the years. Plus a few that aren't on the list. I've only made wine from 37 of the listed varieties.

that right there has got to be an even more exclusive club! :D

themostrighteous

MarkDaSpark wrote:

Was waiting for me on my return from Chicago Old Wine Tasting (aka Chicago W.W. Tasting #9)!

I think they lost my original email back in November, since they said we're up to 529 members now. And they didn't tell me my number, nor is it on the cert.

'tis a beautiful thang Sparky!