MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
JOATMON wrote:I've more than tasted Noir de Noir; I bought a bottle on the tour, consumed it, and did a poorly received unofficial labrat report on it.

I bought one on the tour, and two more during the offer. Haven't opened any yet. It has some varieties for the app too.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker
MarkDaSpark wrote:Seghesio had the Arneis and the Fiano.

I remember the Arneis but not the Fiano. When did Seghesio pour that one?

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:I remember the Arneis but not the Fiano. When did Seghesio pour that one?

In the tasting room, after lunch (Arneis during lunch).

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

YEAH! three quarters of the way there!

Roditis, Mavrodaphne, and Bual all tasted with TByrd and Java!! Whoo Hoo!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

I'm filling my form out. It's fairly easy for me, so I'm adding the challenge of noting either my very first or my most recent wine. And I'm going for named varietals instead of blends (at least for now).

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

The Best Grapes You Never Heard Of

Chardonnay is California's most widely planted grape, at nearly 95,000 acres, with cabernet sauvignon a distant second. But the state's vineyards also boast an astonishing range of grape varieties. Some are so sparsely planted that they aren't listed in the annual California Grape Acreage Report.

I love sampling wines made from these esoteric grapes. Some of the grapes — think tocai friulano or verdelho — are widely used in other countries but little-known here. Others aren't well-known anywhere. I first encountered a broad range of these sorts of wines at Wild Horse Winery in Templeton. Then-owner Ken Volk loves working with these oddball grapes, and he was always looking for something new. "What's the hardest thing to pronounce, and where can I get the grapes?" he joked at the time.

Volk sold Wild Horse, but he's up to his old tricks at his new winery, Kenneth Volk Vineyards in Santa Barbara County, where he makes wines like verdelho and négrette. Wild Horse also continues to produce some of the wines that Volk liked so much. And these days I'm seeing more of these unusual wines from a number of wineries around the state.

Albariño is a good case in point. The white grape from Rias Baixas in northwest Spain was brought to California in the late 1990s by Michael Havens in the Napa Valley. His Havens Wine Cellars produced California's first commercial albariño. It's still not listed separately in the grape acreage
Advertisement
report, but now there are at least half a dozen California wineries making albariño. Tangent winery in Edna Valley has made a major commitment to it; its 2007 albariño ($17) is crisp and citrusy, with white peach and a soft finish. Bonny Doon also produces a good one under its Ca' del Solo label; the 2007 Ca' del Solo Albariño ($20) is fresh, crisp and floral, with white nectarine and citrus flavors.

Verdelho is a white grape from Portugal that's actually listed in the acreage report, with all of 84 acres. Dan Lee of Morgan Winery produces a good one under his Lee Family Farm label. The 2007 Lee Family Farm Verdelho ($15), made from Lodi grapes, is refreshing and bright, with lemon and green apple flavors. Lodi is also the grape source for the 2007 Fenestra Verdelho ($15), which is fresh and crisp, with green apple and pear flavors. The 2007 Kenneth Volk Verdelho ($24) from Paso Robles offers bright green apple, a hint of peach and just a trace of heat on the finish.

Tocai friulano is an import from northeastern Italy. (Although the European Union has ruled that its name must be changed to simply "friulano" because of a dispute with Hungary's tokaji producers, Californians can still use the old name.) The 2007 David Noyes Tocai Friulano ($20) is crisp and refreshing, with citrus and a hint of almond paste, while the 2005 Borgo Buon Natale Tocai Friulano ($18), from Jim Clendenen of Au Bon Climat, is a little rounder. Arneis is another Italian grape, in this case from the northwestern Piedmont region. The 2007 August Ridge Arneis ($21) is zingy and fresh, with citrus and almond paste flavors.

While muscat isn't uncommon, it's usually made in a sweeter style. The 2007 Ca' del Solo Muscat ($17) is just off-dry and very perfumey, with citrus and white peach flavors. The 2007 Alicats Dry Muscat ($12) is dry and intensely floral, with pear and almond notes. Navarro Vineyards is another reliable producer of dry muscat; its version is usually fairly rich.

Then there are the white grapes that used to be popular in California but are rarely seen now in premium wines. Chenin blanc is one such grape, but you can still find a few good ones, like the 2007 Dry Creek Dry Chenin Blanc ($11.50), which is fresh and crisp, with white peach, pear and a hint of pink grapefruit. French colombard is another, but it's the main component in the delightful, racy non-vintage Seven Daughters Winemaker's Blend ($15). (Both of these grapes are still heavily planted in the Central Valley and used mostly for jug blends.)

I'm less enthralled overall by the unusual reds being produced in California, but there are definitely some good ones. Négrette is a grape from southwest France, and there are some plantings in Cienega Valley, in San Benito County. Those vines are the source of the 2005 Kenneth Volk Négrette ($24), which is spicy and a little floral, with bright berry, a hint of white pepper and a smooth finish, as well as the 2006 Wild Horse Négrette ($24), which is slightly minty, with robust berry flavors and a hint of tobacco.

De Rose Vineyards in Hollister makes a wonderful, concentrated négrette from 150-year-old dry-farmed vines, but I haven't tasted the current vintage, 2006 ($40).

A lot of vintners, especially in warmer growing areas, have planted the traditional Portuguese varieties used in port, like touriga nacional and tinta cao. Now these grapes are starting to appear in table wines, too.

For example, there's the 2006 Fenestra Touriga ($23), which offers ripe black cherry flavors, accented by cedar, spice and a hint of chocolate. There's also the 2004 Murrieta's Well Zarzuela ($29), a blend of touriga nacional, tempranillo and a bit of souzao that's bright and spicy with ample berry fruit and a soft finish. Fenestra also makes a wine from alvarelhao, another Portuguese grape; the 2005 ($19) displays bright blueberry and spice flavors, with a smooth finish. It benefits from some aeration.

Lagrein hails from Italy's hilly Alto Adige region, where it produces rich, low-tannin wines that are often light in color. The California lagreins I've tasted have little in common with their Italian cousins, but some are tasty nonetheless. For example, there's the 2005 Santa Barbara Winery Lagrein ($26), which is quite dark, dense and aromatic, with plump blueberry and raspberry fruit.

Nearly 200 acres of tannat are planted in California, but the grape is better known in southwest France and Uruguay. Lone Madrone in Paso Robles produces a good one; the 2005 ($50) is big and dense, with berries and chewy tannins, along with a remarkable freshness. And the 2005 Ursa Tannat ($18) is inky and floral, with ample black fruit.

Few people have heard of cabernet pfeffer, and its origins are murky. Volk had it tested and found that it was actually a French variety called gros verdot. "Pfeffer" means pepper in German, and the 2005 Kenneth Volk Cabernet Pfeffer ($28) shows plenty of that spice, along with dark fruit and a hint of cedar.

Charbono used to be common in California, but there are now only about 85 acres of it; more than half of it, surprisingly, is planted in the cabernet-centric Napa Valley. The 2006 Fortitude Frediani Field Blend ($24) is about three-quarters charbono; it offers lots of bright blueberry and blackberry with some attractive spiciness.

Because these wines are unusual, most of are made in limited quantities, too. There are exceptions, like the Dry Creek Dry Chenin Blanc, but your best bet for finding many of the wines will be to call or visit the winery or order online.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I'm having a problem with the list. Maybe not necessarily the list but a particular wine. Over the weekend I had the Henriques & Henriques Rainwater Madeira. I enjoyed it, albeit after I left it open for a little bit. Now I'm going back and listing the varietals that were in the wine. I'm coming up short. Google searches and even CellarTracker are almost non-existent. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were or should I just go back to the place I bought it and ask them.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
JOATMON wrote:The Best Grapes You Never Heard Of

....snipped....
Because these wines are unusual, most of are made in limited quantities, too. There are exceptions, like the Dry Creek Dry Chenin Blanc, but your best bet for finding many of the wines will be to call or visit the winery or order online.

JOATMON, thanks for a great post. Timely, too, for our so-cal gathering. Thanks!

sanity

quality posts: 5 Private Messages sanity
InShadows wrote:I'm having a problem with the list. Maybe not necessarily the list but a particular wine. Over the weekend I had the Henriques & Henriques Rainwater Madeira. I enjoyed it, albeit after I left it open for a little bit. Now I'm going back and listing the varietals that were in the wine. I'm coming up short. Google searches and even CellarTracker are almost non-existent. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were or should I just go back to the place I bought it and ask them.

I got a chuckle out of your quote, thanks. I checked their site, and not much detailed info on there either. They might be happy to tell you if you emailed them directly.

JOATMON

InShadows wrote:I'm having a problem with the list. Maybe not necessarily the list but a particular wine. Over the weekend I had the Henriques & Henriques Rainwater Madeira. I enjoyed it, albeit after I left it open for a little bit. Now I'm going back and listing the varietals that were in the wine. I'm coming up short. Google searches and even CellarTracker are almost non-existent. I was wondering if anyone knew what they were or should I just go back to the place I bought it and ask them.

Manny Berk of Rare Wine Company might know. I'll send out an email....

(as of 2011-03-02)

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters
CpprCr8 wrote:39 confirmed and another 7 strong "maybes". I'll have to go through and check on some past blends.

Has anyone added a grape yet? I've added one - Xinisteri - so far.

Added :
Viura (Spanish grape),
Poulsara (french Bugey)
Ciliegiolo (Italian)
and Colorino (Italian)
(also, Petit Meunier is listed as Meunier on this list)
Up to 75 so far.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Anyone in the Twin Cities looking to add a varietal or two take note - I'm planning to open my bottle of Bully Hill Buffalo Sabres Hockey Night red for the Sabres opener on Oct. 10.

It's a blend of Chancellor and Rougeon, and it's Bully Hill, so I'm sure it'll taste like bilge water. I'd be happy to share it with others.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Currently at *97*.

Free.winelibrary.com has helped me have 2 more on the way -- yesterday a Loureiro (portuguese white); today a Prieto Picudo. I'll be up to 99 shortly.

Now, what should my 100th be?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
coynedj wrote:Anyone in the Twin Cities looking to add a varietal or two take note - I'm planning to open my bottle of Bully Hill Buffalo Sabres Hockey Night red for the Sabres opener on Oct. 10.

It's a blend of Chancellor and Rougeon, and it's Bully Hill, so I'm sure it'll taste like bilge water. I'd be happy to share it with others.

Ahh, generosity. Willing to share bilge water.

I visited Bully Hill about 7 years ago. Hate to admit we liked a couple of their "wines". I suspect I would not enjoy them any more.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

javadrinker

Loweeel wrote:Currently at *97*.

Free.winelibrary.com has helped me have 2 more on the way -- yesterday a Loureiro (portuguese white); today a Prieto Picudo. I'll be up to 99 shortly.

Now, what should my 100th be?

Nice!!! Be sure to post when you get your cert. I think I'll start updating the original post with all of the members of the Century Club once people start getting accepted. The only person i know of who is officially already a member is Subsignia but he doesn't post here anymore.

Loweeel

javadrinker wrote:Nice!!! Be sure to post when you get your cert. I think I'll start updating the original post with all of the members of the Century Club once people start getting accepted. The only person i know of who is officially already a member is Subsignia but he doesn't post here anymore.

I think I'll go with a PX. It's appropriate to celebrate. Hopefully I can convince iB to bring one down with him...

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

JOATMON

JOATMON wrote:Manny Berk of Rare Wine Company might know. I'll send out an email....

I haven't heard anything back yet.

(as of 2011-03-02)

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows
JOATMON wrote:I haven't heard anything back yet.

Okay thanks for trying. I'll email H & H and see if they respond. If all else fails, I'll just have to drink more wines.. oh darn!

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

I had a wine last night that ticked off 5 unusual grape varieties and was delicious to boot.
It was Frères Grosjean Torrette

GRAPES:
80% of Petit Rouge and 20% of Vien de Nus, Doucet, Fumin and Mayolet.
These grapes are all write-in's.

Loweeel

Krugsters wrote:I had a wine last night that ticked off 5 unusual grape varieties and was delicious to boot.
It was Frères Grosjean Torrette

GRAPES:
80% of Petit Rouge and 20% of Vien de Nus, Doucet, Fumin and Mayolet.
These grapes are all write-in's.

I had my Verdiccio last night. Tonight is the Prieto Picudo (#99!)

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

gcdyersb

quality posts: 141 Private Messages gcdyersb
Loweeel wrote:I had my Verdiccio last night. Tonight is the Prieto Picudo (#99!)

Mmmmm, Prieto Picudo. I had that in a blend (probably from the same producer) and it was great for the price.

Cabernet Franc: it's not just for blending! It's also for blogging.

MarkDaSpark

Well, up to 78, but have some new wines to try. Need to pop them open soon and get a move on getting to 100.

javadrinker

And up to 54 thanks to T-byrd's Albarino last night. More than half way there.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:And up to 54 thanks to T-byrd's Albarino last night. More than half way there.

Up to 81 due to TB's generosity. The others were all ones I haven't had yet either.

T-byrd ....

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Coming soon, to SoCal #4, Seyval Blanc from Honeymoon Trail Wine Company, about 5 miles from Niagara Falls, NY, Baco Noir from Henry of Pelham in Southern Ontario, Canada, and Rkatsiteli from the first Winery in the country to make it, Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars in the Finger Lakes. I'm also bringing extras of those to help JOATMON work toward his ultra-orthodox 100% Wine Century Certification. I assume JOAT and Sparky have work out the details of the compensation for transporting the goods.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

JOAT, I got lucky on the Rkatsiteli: it was on sale at $5 off. PM me, and I'll let you know what I wound up spending.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

JOATMON

ddeuddeg wrote:JOAT, I got lucky on the Rkatsiteli: it was on sale at $5 off. PM me, and I'll let you know what I wound up spending.

PM sent.

As an aside: I'm sitting in the Asiana business class lounge in Incheon, Korea, using their wireless networking to read these discussion boards and email. Technology is getting pretty darn close to that magic that Clarke talked about.

(as of 2011-03-02)

Loweeel

ddeuddeg wrote:Coming soon, to SoCal #4, Seyval Blanc from Honeymoon Trail Wine Company, about 5 miles from Niagara Falls, NY, Baco Noir from Henry of Pelham in Southern Ontario, Canada, and Rkatsiteli from the only Winery in the country making it, Dr. Konstantin Frank Vinifera Wine Cellars in the Finger Lakes. I'm also bringing extras of those to help JOATMON work toward his ultra-orthodox 100% Wine Century Certification. I assume JOAT and Sparky have work out the details of the compensation for transporting the goods.

I'm sorry, you are INKORREKT about the rKats. Horton Vineyards in Virginia also makes one.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd
javadrinker wrote:And up to 54 thanks to T-byrd's Albarino last night. More than half way there.

The varietal of the Amontillado was "Palomino Fino". Did you count that, too?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

timbyrd wrote:The varietal of the Amontillado was "Palomino Fino". Did you count that, too?

-- T

Si. Too bad Hendrick's isn't on it ......

cjsiege

quality posts: 13 Private Messages cjsiege
Loweeel wrote:I'm sorry, you are INKORREKT about the rKats. Horton Vineyards in Virginia also makes one.

And it's pretty good. I've got a bottle in my stash right now.

Loweeel

timbyrd wrote:The varietal of the Amontillado was "Palomino Fino". Did you count that, too?

-- T

All Sherry is made from that grape, except for the eponymous PX.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

ddeuddeg

Loweeel wrote:I'm sorry, you are INKORREKT about the rKats. Horton Vineyards in Virginia also makes one.

So does Tomasello Winery in New Jersey. I think my aging memory was playing tricks on me again. The source I was looking at listed Dr. Frank as the FIRST (not the only) to grow and cultivate the grape in the US. My apologies, and my thanks to Loweeel for his vigilance.

iByron

Loweeel wrote:All Sherry is made from [Palomino Fino], except for the eponymous [Pedro Xîmenez].

And some Moscatel.

Lustau also makes one with a red grape called Tinta or Tintilla de Rota (probably Grenache/Garnacha) which also get's the Jerez label.

But 85-90% of what can be called "Jerez-Xérès-Sherry" is PF.

Your Private WIneaux

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:So does Tomasello Winery in New Jersey. I think my aging memory was playing tricks on me again. The source I was looking at listed Dr. Frank as the FIRST (not the only) to grow and cultivate the grape in the US. My apologies, and my thanks to Loweeel for his vigilance.

Nah, not the memory, the eyes ... always blame the eyes!!! Or Corrado. It's always Corrado's fault ....

MarkDaSpark

Okay, the Vegas tasting was a success! Java is up to 76 now, and I am at .... drum roll please ....
... 99!

So who wants to help me drink #100???

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8
MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, the Vegas tasting was a success! Java is up to 76 now, and I am at .... drum roll please ....
... 99!

So who wants to help me drink #100???

If you can wait a few weeks, I'll help! Provided that MW doesn't have a long list of things she wants me to do when I'm visiting.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

MarkDaSpark

CpprCr8 wrote:If you can wait a few weeks, I'll help! Provided that MW doesn't have a long list of things she wants me to do when I'm visiting.

Oooh .... that would be great! But not sure I can hold out that long. This week, I might get the cert before Xmas .....

Got some in mind:

2003 Chateau Musar Cuvée Blanc Lebanon, Bekaa Valley (Obaideh).

2007 Bodegas Ostatu Rioja Spain (Viura).

2005 Vinas de Vila Tinto Fundacion Argentina, Mendoza (Bonarda, Malbec, & CS)

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer

iByron

canonizer wrote:I had this bottle last night, which was 60% Tannat.

That's (Laplace) a good cheap Madiran, if a bit soft (but then it's a third label of the famed Chateau D'Aydie). See my notes on the 2004.

iByron

Your Private WIneaux