javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

For those of you that didn't get a chance to see this during the De Longs Wine Grape Varietal Table offering, the De Longs people also have a Wine Century Club. The club is open to those honest wineaux who have tasted at least 100 different grape varieties. This includes any varietal including those used in blends. I think if some of our wine.woot brethren/sisteren really looked into this, we'd find that many of us are closer to this milestone than we'd think.

Pop on over to the club site and print the PDF application. It will serve as an easy check off tool as you build your palate on some of these many varietals. Post your current count and let us all know if any of you make it to 100.

Also, share if you find a blend that includes one of the harder to find wine varietals. Even some of our woot offerings have a surprise or two if you dig deep enough. For example, if any of you purchased the Jepson offering way back when, the Summertime White included 70% French Colombard...who knew? Or the 2003 Mandolina Toccata...that had 15% Friesa.

Good luck to us all.

Edit: Wine Century Club wooter roll call:

• Loweeel
  • MarkDaSpark
  • javadrinker
  • polarbear22
  • MaxAlex
  • InShadows
  • merbill

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

javadrinker

And as of today...I'm at 36. This could take a while.

Edit: 37...how the hell did I miss Zinfandel?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
javadrinker wrote:And as of today...I'm at 36. This could take a while.

44 here, look at some of the previous woot offers too.

Standing Stone Callioux had a blend of Chardonnay (53%), Gewurztraminer (4%), Pinot Blanc (4%), Pinot Gris(4%), Pinot Meunier (4%), Muscat Ottonel (4%), Riesling (7%) and Vidal (20%). Score!!

Edit: For those interested, this post has links to varietal databases. Also, the post before it has a link to the Century Club site with their Excel/Word files to help you document your progress.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Krugsters

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Krugsters

So far I'm up to 65.

InShadows

quality posts: 1 Private Messages InShadows

I guess since the membership form states "Check the box next to each grape variety you have tasted." that the various wine.woot tasting events that we have been to count? I tasted all those wines so I've had those? correct? I'm beginning to fill mine out so I'll get back to ya'll later.

CT
“Every time you think something or someone is stupid, it just means there is another thing in this world you don’t understand.” - In memory of Robert, 1975-2009
If you make a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. If you set him on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Past NoVA Gatherings

MarkDaSpark

InShadows wrote:I guess since the membership form states "Check the box next to each grape variety you have tasted." that the various wine.woot tasting events that we have been to count? I tasted all those wines so I've had those? correct? I'm beginning to fill mine out so I'll get back to ya'll later.

You check every varietal you have personally tasted. So if you tasted all the wines at a wine.woot event, you have had the varietals in each one.

And Java and I found a Grillo wine from Sicily at TimByrd's bday party. nyah, nyah, nyah, nyah ....

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Java,

Four more grapes in Wellington Noir de Noirs we tasted during RPM Tour. Also may be in tonight's offering.

Noir de Noirs

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Java,

Four more grapes in Wellington Noir de Noirs we tasted during RPM Tour. Also may be in tonight's offering.

Noir de Noirs

I was thinking about that except I think I was touring the barrel room with SB when everyone tasted the NdN...I do have a bottle here though so I may have to open it up soon.

I also picked up some inexpensive Nero d'Avola and Pinot Blanc bottles yesterday to knock some more varietals off of my list. I want that damn certificate...I don't think I put anywhere near this much effort into my degree.

CpprCr8

quality posts: 5 Private Messages CpprCr8

39 confirmed and another 7 strong "maybes". I'll have to go through and check on some past blends.

Has anyone added a grape yet? I've added one - Xinisteri - so far.

cjsiege & CpprCr8: A girl & a car, living the w.w dream!

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
CpprCr8 wrote:39 confirmed and another 7 strong "maybes". I'll have to go through and check on some past blends.

My list is back at the office.

This is something else that Cheron should code up for us .

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

rpm

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rpm
CpprCr8 wrote:39 confirmed and another 7 strong "maybes". I'll have to go through and check on some past blends.

I added "Perelli 101" - a grape developed by my great uncle and used in certain A. Perelli-Minetti & Sons blends back in the late 1970s. There is very little of it around, but it's referred to in some of the literature.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark

I've added the following:

Chambourcin (NoVA/DC #4 & SoCal #2)
Petit Meunier
Grillo
Lenoir
Grand Noir
Petite Bouschet
Vinha Velha (Port wine tasting)
Sousão (Port wine tasting)

... and up to 62 now.

Edit: Removed Muscat Cannelli from list (it's aka is Muscat Blanc), so down to 62)

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

javadrinker wrote:And as of today...I'm at 36. This could take a while.

Gotcha by 1 with 38.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114

For those coming to DC #6, I am bringing a Sicilian wine that has 25% Frappato Nero, 25% Nerello Cappiccio, 25% Nerello Mascallese, 25% Nedo d'Avola. May help push you a few more ahead.

CT | | | | | |

MarkDaSpark

jwhite6114 wrote:For those coming to DC #6, I am bringing a Sicilian wine that has 25% Frappato Nero, 25% Nerello Cappiccio, 25% Nerello Mascallese, 25% Nedo d'Avola. May help push you a few more ahead.

Thank you!!!! Really looking forward to it (NoVA/DC #6 that is!)

javadrinker

Corrado wrote:Gotcha by 1 with 38.

Oh...C-man's victory was oh so short lived. Was up in Sacramento on business for a couple of days and they have a wine tasting bar in the airport terminal. I was able to try some international wines including one from Greece made with a varietal I had never heard of despite being the first one on the application: Agiorgitiko. That coupled with some other ones I've added recently has me at...dun dun dun...42. Woo hoo...a mere 20 grapes behind Sparky!!! This could still take a while.

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:I've added the following:

Chambourcin (NoVA/DC #4 & SoCal #2)
Petit Meunier
Grillo
Lenoir
Grand Noir
Petite Bouschet
Vinha Velha (Port wine tasting)
Sousão (Port wine tasting)

... and up to 62 now.

Edit: Removed Muscat Cannelli from list (it's aka is Muscat Blanc), so down to 62)

Just FYI, the Grand Noir is aka Baga which is on the list.

And Vinha Velha (from what I can tell) is a blend or a descriptor, not a varietal. Vinha Velha means Old Vine in Portuguese.

No, I'm not checking your work, I'm just researching to see if it reminds me of any wines I might have had. Like the Lenoir which looks like it is used in sacramental wine so I thought I might have had it...turns out no. Last time I go to church just for the booze.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Just FYI, the Grand Noir is aka Baga which is on the list.

And Vinha Velha (from what I can tell) is a blend or a descriptor, not a varietal. Vinha Velha means Old Vine in Portuguese.

No, I'm not checking your work, I'm just researching to see if it reminds me of any wines I might have had. Like the Lenoir which looks like it is used in sacramental wine so I thought I might have had it...turns out no. Last time I go to church just for the booze.

Thanks. Will check on the Baga/ Grand Noir.

Vinha Velha was listed as a variety on the Roriz Port page. Had it at a Port Wine tasting at The Wine Exchange. So I'll check on that one too.

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Thanks. Will check on the Baga/ Grand Noir.

Vinha Velha was listed as a variety on the Roriz Port page. Had it at a Port Wine tasting at The Wine Exchange. So I'll check on that one too.

This is from the Quinta de Roriz website:

"The principal components of the Quinta de Roriz 2004 Vintage were drawn from the old mixed vines, the Touriga Nacional and the Tinta Roriz. Significant contributions were also made by the Tinta Barroca and the Sousão, the latter having been somewhat overlooked in the Douro although it continues to thrive at Roriz. It offers an extra dimension to the Quinta’s Vintage Ports, contributing great complexity, concentration and tannic structure."

I'm thinking the "Vinha Velha" description on the PDF you referenced was meant to be part of the Tinta Roriz mentioned above (which is Tempranillo).

Man, I need to pick up my grape poster from Clayfu. This varietal stuff is fascinating once you start digging in to it.

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:This is from the Quinta de Roriz website:

"The principal components of the Quinta de Roriz 2004 Vintage were drawn from the old mixed vines, the Touriga Nacional and the Tinta Roriz. Significant contributions were also made by the Tinta Barroca and the Sousão, the latter having been somewhat overlooked in the Douro although it continues to thrive at Roriz. It offers an extra dimension to the Quinta’s Vintage Ports, contributing great complexity, concentration and tannic structure."

I'm thinking the "Vinha Velha" description on the PDF you referenced was meant to be part of the Tinta Roriz mentioned above (which is Tempranillo).

Man, I need to pick up my grape poster from Clayfu. This varietal stuff is fascinating once you start digging in to it.

For Graham's Port - QUINTA DOS MALVEDOS:
Percentage Vineyard Area
by Varietal
Touriga Franca 35,8% ● Touriga Nacional 28,6% ● Tinta Barroca 18,1% ● Tinta Roriz
12,0% ● Tinta Amarela 3,1% ● Tinto Cão 1,7% ● Vinha Velha 0,4% ● Mixed Varieties
0,3%

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:

For Graham's Port - QUINTA DOS MALVEDOS:
Percentage Vineyard Area
by Varietal
Touriga Franca 35,8% ● Touriga Nacional 28,6% ● Tinta Barroca 18,1% ● Tinta Roriz
12,0% ● Tinta Amarela 3,1% ● Tinto Cão 1,7% ● Vinha Velha 0,4% ● Mixed Varieties
0,3%

Nope, still not buying it. From what I found, Vinha Velha is just how port makers refer to old vine mixed plantings. You linkee me up to a page that shows Vinha Velha as a distinct varietal and I'm in.

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous
javadrinker wrote:Nope, still not buying it. From what I found, Vinha Velha is just how port makers refer to old vine mixed plantings. You linkee me up to a page that shows Vinha Velha as a distinct varietal and I'm in.

i'm w/ java (not that he asked) cuz i similarly can't find any independent reference to vinha velha (which does mean old vines in Portuguese) as a varietal.

do you know... what biodynamics is?

hardground

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hardground

@53. Drinking Italian, Spanish and dessert wines gets you half way there.

We need to have a tasting where everyone brings an obscure varietal blend.

Why is there so much wine left at the end of my money?

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Nope, still not buying it. From what I found, Vinha Velha is just how port makers refer to old vine mixed plantings. You linkee me up to a page that shows Vinha Velha as a distinct varietal and I'm in.

Fine. Be that way. I may not share the Greek Wine I brought back from NoVA/DC with you then ....

Especially since you missed out on the 4 Sicilian grapes .....

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel

Wow. I'm at 91 after the weekend, thanks in large part to the four-play and Cat's Valiant. Am I missing anything else wacky that I probably didn't have?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

jwhite6114

quality posts: 119 Private Messages jwhite6114
Loweeel wrote:Wow. I'm at 91 after the weekend, thanks in large part to the four-play and Cat's Valiant. Am I missing anything else wacky that I probably didn't have?

91?! Heck, that's close enough to start buying bottles just to get the new varietal. And with some of the blends out there, you could probably do it in as few as three bottles!

CT | | | | | |

javadrinker

Loweeel wrote:Wow. I'm at 91 after the weekend, thanks in large part to the four-play and Cat's Valiant. Am I missing anything else wacky that I probably didn't have?

That cert is gonna look mighty purdy next to your law degree.

javadrinker

MarkDaSpark wrote:Fine. Be that way. I may not share the Greek Wine I brought back from NoVA/DC with you then ....

Especially since you missed out on the 4 Sicilian grapes .....

Keep your steenkin' Sicilian grapes (although that bottle did look good in the DC thread)...I just found 4 more varietals in a bottle of Valpolicella that I had at my parents house a while back. The bottle was flawed but damnit I drank it anyway so it counts...woo hoo for Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara, and Negrara (an adder to the list). For those that said to go after Italian blends to build up the list...wtg!!!!

MarkDaSpark

javadrinker wrote:Keep your steenkin' Sicilian grapes (although that bottle did look good in the DC thread)...I just found 4 more varietals in a bottle of Valpolicella that I had at my parents house a while back. The bottle was flawed but damnit I drank it anyway so it counts...woo hoo for Corvina, Rondinella, Molinara, and Negrara (an adder to the list). For those that said to go after Italian blends to build up the list...wtg!!!!

So I take it you don't want to add the Greek grape to your list? It's on the CC list (Roditis).

And up to 68 (maybe more, but must find my other tasting notes first).

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

I have about 64. And I am still reviewing some older bottles.

This is another fun quest, like trying to get that black box.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

gmoore19

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gmoore19

Sweet Jesus. Lots of people aren't aware that there are more than 10 varieties. I'm at 41 ont he current list. Not sure if I have the patience to make it to the full hundy.

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Am I missing something, or is Orange Muscat not on the list?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Am I missing something, or is Orange Muscat not on the list?

Don't see it, and it's listed separately in Wikipedia on Muscat. Add it in one of the blank rows.

JOATMON

Only 30 so far, and 21 of these are from single varietal wines (>75%)

(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Only 30 so far, and 21 of these are from single varietal wines (>75%)

Did you add in the varietals we tasted during the RPM tour? Lots of them there. Seghesio had the two whites, and also at Wellington in the Noir de Noirs.

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Did you add in the varietals we tasted during the RPM tour? Lots of them there. Seghesio had the two whites, and also at Wellington in the Noir de Noirs.

Do you recall what was in the two whites? Easier to ask than dig back through the rpm thread.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Do you recall what was in the two whites? Easier to ask than dig back through the rpm thread.

Seghesio had the Arneis and the Fiano.

JOATMON

MarkDaSpark wrote:Did you add in the varietals we tasted during the RPM tour? Lots of them there. Seghesio had the two whites, and also at Wellington in the Noir de Noirs.

I've more than tasted Noir de Noir; I bought a bottle on the tour, consumed it, and did a poorly received unofficial labrat report on it.

(as of 2011-03-02)

polarbear22

MarkDaSpark wrote:Seghesio had the Arneis and the Fiano.

Thanks with those two, and realizing I hadn't checked off Viognier, I am at 67. 2/3 of the way.

My Cellar

JOATMON

Did we taste those two whites at lunch, or afterwards? I may not have tasted everything you'all tasted in the tasting room.

(as of 2011-03-02)