tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

*NEW THEME OF "PRICEY WINES"!!*

It seems there was not enough interest in the palate training we originally planned for, so we changed it to "pricey wines". One bottle of $40+ wine per person. You can bring more than one bottle if you would like, but only the first bottle has to be of the pricey persuasion. If anyone with a grill would like to volunteer their location please speak up. If not we will meet up at Imagine4vr's place on Sat. 8/16. While the official palate training has been shuffled off onto the back burner for now, you are still welcome to bring an item or two to represent a flavor in the wine you bring. Also, no one chimed in on a varietal theme so I think it is bring what you want, no restrictions.

Location: Chicagoland, The Windy City, The 2nd City whatever you want to call it. Come in from out of town and have some fun, or stay away we don't want you drinking our SUPER AWESOME WINE anyway!!

-Tom

Here is a list of attendees and regrets and too good for's. Imagine graciously offered up her place at the start of planning and has not said anything to the contrary. Imagine please confirm if this is still the plan. Timewise I am open as long as its not early morning (which I would doubt anyway ). Everyone attending please chime in with your thoughts.

Like, fer sure:
Imagine4vr
Craiggery
hardground
smlauren (2005 Duckhorn Vineyards Paraduxx - $46 +1 bottle)
tommythecat78 (2002 Heitz Cellars Napa Cab - $66, 2006 Pillar Box Red - $11)
Zool (+2, Gatekeeper and Keymaster-in human form)

Maybe:
LGDeacon

Must unfortunately decline:
crusaderRabbit (good luck in the race)
lauratchi (stupid work!)
TMR (prior obligation)
pfcouvar (travel)
Walstib
cbecer

Too good for us:
cheron98

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

AWESOME idea!!! i'm so completely & totally there (when we determine when & where, that is). RADOOL!!!

in terms of items to bring, however, i would suggest that you consider a slightly different approach. consider finalizing a list of firm attendees at least a week in advance, having everyone contribute, say, $20 to the pot & buying as many things as we can think of & afford at Trader Joe's. (i'm happy to volunteer to do the shopping if needed.) i think that we'll get to taste many more things that way. anyway, this is your gig, and this is just an idea.

did i mention that this event is a ROCKIN' idea?!?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:AWESOME idea!!! i'm so completely & totally there (when we determine when & where, that is). RADOOL!!!

in terms of items to bring, however, i would suggest that you consider a slightly different approach. consider finalizing a list of firm attendees at least a week in advance, having everyone contribute, say, $20 to the pot & buying as many things as we can think of & afford at Trader Joe's. (i'm happy to volunteer to do the shopping if needed.) i think that we'll get to taste many more things that way. anyway, this is your gig, and this is just an idea.

I am very open to suggestions and ideas and thanks for the input. I like the idea of a community pot as it would probably go much smoother that way. And what the hell is RADOOL?

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
themostrighteous wrote:AWESOME idea!!! i'm so completely & totally there (when we determine when & where, that is). RADOOL!!!

What about using something like this? I've seen them before, and always thought it was kinda pricey, but if a bunch of us contributed, possibly even shared it cross country, it might not be a bad thing? I don't even know if these are any good, just throwing out the idea

I wouldn't mind hostessing again, up to you all.

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:What about using something like this? I've seen them before, and always thought it was kinda pricey, but if a bunch of us contributed, possibly even shared it cross country, it might not be a bad thing? I don't even know if these are any good, just throwing out the idea

I wouldn't mind hostessing again, up to you all.

What would "this" be?

themostrighteous

tommythecat78 wrote:I am very open to suggestions and ideas and thanks for the input. I like the idea of a community pot as it would probably go much smoother that way. And what the hell is RADOOL?

well, you did say you watch GV, didn't ya?!? radool. Gary's most oft-used descriptor after AWESOME & PAZZZZZZZ!

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:oooops forgot the link! http://www.amazon.com/Wine-Enthusiast-Complete-Tasting-Aroma/dp/B0018ANZGC

my personal preference would be to go the GV way for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which would be that it looks like a ludicrous amount of FUN - and i'm all about fun! but i'll go w/ the group consensus. oh, and thank you so much for offering up your place - that's just so RADOOL!

tommythecat78

Yes I agree with TMR as far as the kit goes. The fun is what I was going for with the "GV way". As far as RADOOL goes...I have only seen a couple of episodes so far. I am not home very much and videos are blocked from my full-time jobs computers.

themostrighteous

tommythecat78 wrote:Yes I agree with TMR as far as the kit goes. The fun is what I was going for with the "GV way". As far as RADOOL goes...I have only seen a couple of episodes so far. I am not home very much and videos are blocked from my full-time jobs computers.

the very opposite of RADOOL!

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:the very opposite of RADOOL!

Yes, but at least I can watch the pitch-by-pitch for the late Cubs games on MLB Gameday. Probably a good thing (the videos being blocked) otherwise I would get nothing accomplished at work.

Back to the sweaty socks...Imagine, if you want hostessing duties that is cool with me and its one less thing to worry about. We'll see how the response is for a little while before throwing out any tentative dates.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tommythecat78 wrote:Back to the sweaty socks...Imagine, if you want hostessing duties that is cool with me and its one less thing to worry about. We'll see how the response is for a little while before throwing out any tentative dates.

If you pick a good date and I can swing it, I'll come on by. IF one of you comes to the DTW one. Since I posted it first. And thus, it's really my idea. Cuz you can't get enough training.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:If you pick a good date and I can swing it, I'll come on by. IF one of you comes to the DTW one. Since I posted it first. And thus, it's really my idea. Cuz you can't get enough training.

First huh...I posted about doing this in last weeks pub! Don't worry...if I can swing it I will be up there for yours.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:First huh...I posted about doing this in last weeks pub! Don't worry...if I can swing it I will be up there for yours.

Yeah but that wasn't like an official type posting Cuz no one noticed <i wins>

themostrighteous

cheron98 wrote:If you pick a good date and I can swing it, I'll come on by. IF one of you comes to the DTW one. Since I posted it first. And thus, it's really my idea. Cuz you can't get enough training.

well, it's really GV's idea that we are all emulating here, but you're spot on there being no such thing as too much training! come on by! join the CWWT'ers!

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:well, it's really GV's idea that we are all emulating here, but you're spot on there being no such thing as too much training! come on by! join the CWWT'ers!

True, true, and he was given credit... And stop having your tastings on Sundays. I can't do Sundays. Sundays are bad, m'kay?

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:Yeah but that wasn't like an official type posting Cuz no one noticed <i wins>

Stupid Technicalities!!

tommythecat78

What does everyone think about maybe doing some of the items as a blind tasting. I think this would be cool for some of the berries and really get those taste buds thinking. Would work for some of the spices as well I would think.

tommythecat78

Bumpin' it up for a little exposure.

themostrighteous

tommythecat78 wrote:Bumpin' it up for a little exposure.

tommy, i would suggest that you put down some dates that folks can respond to. i would also suggest that you add the word "Chicago" to the forum title so that folks who skim the community forums can tell if this is relevant to them. but this is your gig & these are just suggestions!

everybody else, SPEAK UP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!! (click here if you don't know what tommy is referring to by the "GV palate training video.") this is an awesome idea!!!

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
themostrighteous wrote:

everybody else, SPEAK UP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!!

Yes, Sir!!

I'm interested, but July is going to be tough. Pretty booked up already. If It will fit with SWMBO's schedule for me, I'm in.

tommythecat78

Walstib wrote:Yes, Sir!!

I'm interested, but July is going to be tough. Pretty booked up already. If It will fit with SWMBO's schedule for me, I'm in.

Yes, July is bad for me as well...busiest time of the year work wise. I was thinking early to mid August. I will post some tentative dates in the main post tonight or tomorrow.

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:tommy, i would suggest that you put down some dates that folks can respond to. i would also suggest that you add the word "Chicago" to the forum title so that folks who skim the community forums can tell if this is relevant to them. but this is your gig & these are just suggestions!

everybody else, SPEAK UP IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!! (click here if you don't know what tommy is referring to by the "GV palate training video.") this is an awesome idea!!!

Thank you for the input and suggestions.

tommythecat78

Anyone have thoughts on these tentative dates: 8-2, 8-9, or 8-16?

themostrighteous

tommythecat78 wrote:Anyone have thoughts on these tentative dates: 8-2, 8-9, or 8-16?

8-2 doesn't work for me. 8-9 does for now but, what w/ the Cubs likely being in the middle of a hot pennant race then & playing their most likely contenders (as of now) the Cards, i'm going to that game if i can & you just KNOW Imagine is going to be there. so how about 8-16 (Cubs @ FLA)?

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:8-2 doesn't work for me. 8-9 does for now but, what w/ the Cubs likely being in the middle of a hot pennant race then & playing their most likely contenders (as of now) the Cards, i'm going to that game if i can & you just KNOW Imagine is going to be there. so how about 8-16 (Cubs @ FLA)?

Guess I'll have to pass on this go around - 8/2 is the only date of those three that I have a chance of making it to. We're having ours on 8/16, and 8/9 I'll be in VA. Maybe next time!

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous wrote:8-2 doesn't work for me. 8-9 does for now but, what w/ the Cubs likely being in the middle of a hot pennant race then & playing their most likely contenders (as of now) the Cards, i'm going to that game if i can & you just KNOW Imagine is going to be there. so how about 8-16 (Cubs @ FLA)?

I'm agreeing with this logic and 8-16 would be my pick.

cheron98

cheron98 wrote:Guess I'll have to pass on this go around - 8/2 is the only date of those three that I have a chance of making it to. We're having ours on 8/16, and 8/9 I'll be in VA. Maybe next time!

...What I meant was, we're having our Tasting on 8/16. Our palate training is July. 19. Ish. Besides, tommy backed out of coming to our training, so I am no longer bound to come to this one No KRPS for you!

themostrighteous

cheron98 wrote:...What I meant was, we're having our Tasting on 8/16. Our palate training is July. 19. Ish. Besides, tommy backed out of coming to our training, so I am no longer bound to come to this one No KRPS for you!

so: you going to VA both on 8/9 & two weeks later for D&D? that's a lot of VA'ing.

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:so: you going to VA both on 8/9 & two weeks later for D&D? that's a lot of VA'ing.

Yep. 8/9 is the nephew's 1st birthday. Well, 8/7 is his bday, 8/9 is the "party". So I must be out there for that.

cbecer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cbecer
cheron98 wrote:...What I meant was, we're having our Tasting on 8/16. Our palate training is July. 19. Ish. Besides, tommy backed out of coming to our training, so I am no longer bound to come to this one No KRPS for you!

Hey everyone I ended up here from the Saxon Brown discussion and I am so excited to meet other wine wooters in Chicago. I am really interested in these gatherings. Unfortunately, I have a party to attend on July19th and most of August I'll prob be in Philadelphia or down the shore, but I might be back for the tasting on the 16th. Maybe in the next couple weeks we might be able to get a group together to go to Cru or another wine bar for some tasting. Quartino has wine tastings on Fridays every few weeks that I've been meaning to go to. I live near the water tower so my knowledge of wine spots is limited.

cheron98

cbecer wrote:Hey everyone I ended up here from the Saxon Brown discussion and I am so excited to meet other wine wooters in Chicago. I am really interested in these gatherings. Unfortunately, I have a party to attend on July19th and most of August I'll prob be in Philadelphia or down the shore, but I might be back for the tasting on the 16th. Maybe in the next couple weeks we might be able to get a group together to go to Cru or another wine bar for some tasting. Quartino has wine tastings on Fridays every few weeks that I've been meaning to go to. I live near the water tower so my knowledge of wine spots is limited.

Oh don't take any of my comments into account for this, I'm actually from the Detroit area and am trying to make it to a Chicago SOMETHING.

themostrighteous

cbecer wrote:Hey everyone I ended up here from the Saxon Brown discussion and I am so excited to meet other wine wooters in Chicago. I am really interested in these gatherings. Unfortunately, I have a party to attend on July19th and most of August I'll prob be in Philadelphia or down the shore, but I might be back for the tasting on the 16th. Maybe in the next couple weeks we might be able to get a group together to go to Cru or another wine bar for some tasting. Quartino has wine tastings on Fridays every few weeks that I've been meaning to go to. I live near the water tower so my knowledge of wine spots is limited.

yo, cbecer, nice of you to join! cheron is local to Detroit, so her dates refer to events in that area, and not in the Chicago area. (EDIT: what she said above.) tommythecat started this thread to schedule an event tentatively set for 8/16, which you will hopefully be able to make, but keep checking in here for updates.

if you are interested in trying to get a group together for another event sooner than that - the more events the merrier! -, then i would suggest the following approach:

1. start your own thread w/ a name that clearly communicates to folks surfing the forums what it is that you are looking for (e.g. Chicago WIne Bar Tasting)
2. provide a description of what you have in mind & suggest some dates so that folks can respond to something concrete
3. post a link to your thread in both the main weekly offering thread (though i would limit yourself to just one post there in the interest of not hijacking it) as well as in the cyber Pub (where you can post away to your heart's delight)

just some suggestions for your consideration.

themostrighteous

cheron98 wrote:Oh don't take any of my comments into account for this, I'm actually from the Detroit area and am trying to make it to a Chicago SOMETHING.

you are not going to, you know, thwack me if you come here?!?

cheron98

themostrighteous wrote:you are not going to, you know, thwack me if you come here?!?

Only if you deserve it

tommythecat78

Just catching up...8/16 works for me if thats what everyone else is feeling. The following weekend is my 30th b-day so I know I won't be able to do anything that weekend, arthritis setting in and all that. Cheron98...I am sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, I was looking forward to seeing your thwacking in person. Like I said in your copycat thread the 19th is not a total 100% no go, just like 95%. Cbecer, glad to see you made it over from the main thread. I have never been to Cru or any other wine bar for that matter so that would be cool. Like TMR said and I learned the hard way, set up a seperate thread for your event. I mentioned it in the Pub and cheron98 stole my idea for her own. Glad to see his thing starting to take shape.

craiggery

quality posts: 2 Private Messages craiggery

Count me in for the tasting. a good excuse to get together with everyone again AND train my palette a bit more. pretty much any of those dates work for me so ill just keep checking back until something is concrete.

cheron98

tommythecat78 wrote:Just catching up...8/16 works for me if thats what everyone else is feeling. The following weekend is my 30th b-day so I know I won't be able to do anything that weekend, arthritis setting in and all that. Cheron98...I am sorry to hear you won't be able to make it, I was looking forward to seeing your thwacking in person. Like I said in your copycat thread the 19th is not a total 100% no go, just like 95%. Cbecer, glad to see you made it over from the main thread. I have never been to Cru or any other wine bar for that matter so that would be cool. Like TMR said and I learned the hard way, set up a seperate thread for your event. I mentioned it in the Pub and cheron98 stole my idea for her own. Glad to see his thing starting to take shape.

No one even NOTICED your post in the pub thread. I came up with the idea totally without your influence at all. So yer the copycat Harrumph. And I'm sure eventually I'll be able to be there and you'll be able to witness the live thwacking

tommythecat78

cheron98 wrote:No one even NOTICED your post in the pub thread. I came up with the idea totally without your influence at all. So yer the copycat Harrumph. And I'm sure eventually I'll be able to be there and you'll be able to witness the live thwacking

In case you haven't noticed, I'm kind of a smart ass. So I wouldn't be surprised if my witnessing said thwacking will be me on the receiving end of aformentioned thwacking.

tommythecat78

Update: So far it seems the best date would be 8-16. Imagine has graciously offered to host, and TMR has graciously offer to do the shopping. The way we will work this is everyone will throw some money in a community pot and we will get as many items as we can to stuff ourselves with. I think the amount will depend on the # of attendees. As far as wine goes, I'm not sure if we want to do a full blown tasting or just a few good examples of wines that best display some of the characteristics we are simulating with the food.

Like, fer sure:
TMR
Imagine4vr
Craiggery
hardground
tommythecat78
Zool (+2, Gatekeeper and Keymaster-in human form)

Maybe:
Walstib
cbecer
LGDeacon

Must unfortunately decline:
crusaderRabbit (good luck in the race)
lauratchi (stupid work!)

Too good for us:
cheron98

Since TMR and Imagine are donating time and location they are exempt from any monetary obligations. As long as there are at least 5 or 6 of us paying it should only be about $20 per person (plus wine). Also, we don't need to buy everything. We can bring things like spices, rocks and dirt. I will start a list of items sometime in the next few days so we can all start salivating.