themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

well, well, well. here we go! WOOT!!!

seriously, folks, for those of you who were at CWWT#2 this past Saturday, you knew that this was coming. for those of you who did not, read about CWWT#2 here, develop the proper sense of envy & jealousy for having missed out & then promise yourself that YOU ABSOLUTELY & POSITIVELY WILL NOT MISS THIS AGAIN!!! it's time to start planning CWWT#3!!!

TIME: the time elapsed between CWWT#1 & CWWT#2 was about 1 1/2 months. i think that that worked out pretty well for most. that would suggest an end-of-May date, but that presents a complicating factor in that MWWT#1 is likely going to take place around that time, and a number of us here in Chicago are planning on attending that event. that suggests one of two potential approaches:

1. wait for MWWT#1 to be finalized & then schedule CWWT#3 around it on a different weekend

2. schedule CWWT#3 around the end of June

i have absolutely no preference.

PLACE: we had previously considered having a tasting at Tango Sur. NoVA CWWT#2 guest participant L & i had a pre-CWWT#2 tasting of sorts there last Friday, and IMO this would be a PERFECT BYOB this is to host a tasting, both in terms of the setup & the food itself. i would STRONGLY recommend that we consider this as the location for CWWT#3. if y'all agree, then please keep in mind that this would then suggest a Sunday afternoon tasting, since that is the one day of the week when we would be afforded the time to hold a leisurely tasting (read: they are not nearly as busy on Sundays).

please post your thoughts on both TIME & PLACE. looking forward to seeing you, old faces & new, at CWWT#3! WOOT!!!

do you know... what biodynamics is?

mrflippy

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mrflippy

Tango Sur sounds pretty neat. I might have to try to get over there to evaluate the location at some point.

I don't have a preference for dates right now. It looks like my calendar is fairly open.

ianchudson

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ianchudson

I'm game for almost any weekend to go to TS. If we wanted a fri/sat night I could probably get my roommates to agree to an event at our apartment in Lincoln Park. There's probably enough space for the same size crowd as was at Imagine's. I'll go to both/all events so long as I'm available, so I'm flexible.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr
themostrighteous wrote:well, well, well. here we go! WOOT!!!

TIME: the time elapsed between CWWT#1 & CWWT#2 was about 1 1/2 months. i think that that worked out pretty well for most. that would suggest an end-of-May date, but that presents a complicating factor in that MWWT#1 is likely going to take place around that time, and a number of us here in Chicago are planning on attending that event. that suggests one of two potential approaches:

1. wait for MWWT#1 to be finalized & then schedule CWWT#3 around it on a different weekend

2. schedule CWWT#3 around the end of June

i have absolutely no preference.

PLACE: we had previously considered having a tasting at Tango Sur. NoVA CWWT#2 guest participant L & i had a pre-CWWT#2 tasting of sorts there last Friday, and IMO this would be a PERFECT BYOB this is to host a tasting, both in terms of the setup & the food itself. i would STRONGLY recommend that we consider this as the location for CWWT#3. if y'all agree, then please keep in mind that this would then suggest a Sunday afternoon tasting, since that is the one day of the week when we would be afforded the time to hold a leisurely tasting (read: they are not nearly as busy on Sundays).

please post your thoughts on both TIME & PLACE. looking forward to seeing you, old faces & new, at CWWT#3! WOOT!!!

My vote for CWWT#3 is Tango Sur on a Sunday when the Cubs are away. That would be June 8, 15, or 29th or July 20. My preference would probably be the latter 2 dates thinking milwWWT will be May 31?

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:My vote for CWWT#3 is Tango Sur on a Sunday when the Cubs are away. That would be June 8, 15, or 29th or July 20. My preference would probably be the latter 2 dates thinking milwWWT will be May 31?

it's still early in the balloting process, but i would encourage June 29th over July 20th. the latter is just too far off in time to satisfy my inner wino!

but, again, i would hold off on putting anything down until we know for sure if & when MWWT#1 is happening.

joekerjr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joekerjr
themostrighteous wrote:it's still early in the balloting process, but i would encourage June 29th over July 20th. the latter is just too far off in time to satisfy my inner wino!

but, again, i would hold off on putting anything down until we know for sure if & when MWWT#1 is happening.

So far, with the voting being led by Chicagoans, the date being leaned toward is May 31st. Of course, that means nothing if some Cheese heads start piping in.

ianchudson

themostrighteous wrote:it's still early in the balloting process, but i would encourage June 29th over July 20th. the latter is just too far off in time to satisfy my inner wino!

I can't make either of those dates, sadly.

June 28th I will be in Las Vegas for the week.
July 20th I will be in Sonoma Valley sleeping peacefully knowing that the very next day begins RPM's magical tour.

I would probably be able to make June 8th or 15th. They're also sooner.

Imagine4vr

just bumping this up ... didn't see any input on the MWWT thead, how about here?

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:just bumping this up ... didn't see any input on the MWWT thead, how about here?

my vote would be to give the cheeseheads this week to get their act together. if they do, then we can PAR-TAY all the way to Milwaukee on 5/31. if they don't, then let's plan something down here right then & there.

joekerjr, what say ye from the land of all things cheesy? does it look like this gig is happenin' at the end of May?

joekerjr

themostrighteous wrote:my vote would be to give the cheeseheads this week to get their act together. if they do, then we can PAR-TAY all the way to Milwaukee on 5/31. if they don't, then let's plan something down here right then & there.

joekerjr, what say ye from the land of all things cheesy? does it look like this gig is happenin' at the end of May?

Doesn't look good.

themostrighteous

joekerjr wrote:Doesn't look good.

well, in that case, should we we be planning CWWT#3 for Sunday 6/8 in the afternoon at Tango Sur? (the Cubs are in town on Sunday 6/1 so that won't work at Tango Sur.) if so, will you join us? let us know.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

We are headed out on a road trip for the first couple weeks of June. It bumps us out of the Wisconsin event and maybe CWWT3. We'll catch up with you all at some point. Really we will....

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
themostrighteous wrote:well, in that case, should we we be planning CWWT#3 for Sunday 6/8 in the afternoon at Tango Sur? (the Cubs are in town on Sunday 6/1 so that won't work at Tango Sur.) if so, will you join us? let us know.

Not that anybody asked, but 6/8 would work for me (or 6/15). 6/1 and 6/22 are no go.

Imagine4vr

Walstib wrote:Not that anybody asked, but 6/8 would work for me (or 6/15). 6/1 and 6/22 are no go.

6/8 works for me too.

joekerjr

I'll be at the Printer's Row Book fair until 6pm on June 8th.

tommythecat78

quality posts: 18 Private Messages tommythecat78

This sounds like a good time and a good intro to wine for me. I see that it is BYOB, so how many bottles would one bring, and what should I expect to spend at the restaurant itself?

Thanks for the link imagine4vr.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
My Cellar (has not been updated in forever)
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

foobarski

quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski

A little late chiming in, but I (and the Mrs.) would definitely be interested in finally doing a CWWT. The last weekend in June is no good for us - got a wedding to attend on the 28th - but otherwise I think we're wide-open.

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

Imagine4vr

tommythecat78 wrote:This sounds like a good time and a good intro to wine for me. I see that it is BYOB, so how many bottles would one bring, and what should I expect to spend at the restaurant itself?

Thanks for the link imagine4vr.

You are welcome!

The idea is everyone brings a bottle ... and I'm thinking we'd just order off the menu for ourselves? TMR has talked with the owner (I think) about the details of how this would work. Check out the restaurant link in the first post of this thread (tango sur) for a price range.

Right now we're still deciding on a date, so feel free to chime in with your preferences. I think Sun June 8 (afternoon) is the suggested date in question right now.

tommythecat78

Imagine4vr wrote:You are welcome!

The idea is everyone brings a bottle ... and I'm thinking we'd just order off the menu for ourselves? TMR has talked with the owner (I think) about the details of how this would work. Check out the restaurant link in the first post of this thread (tango sur) for a price range.

Right now we're still deciding on a date, so feel free to chime in with your preferences. I think Sun June 8 (afternoon) is the suggested date in question right now.

I am pretty open date wise. June 8th sounds as good as any, and it gives me some time to sample a few different varietals to see what I like before the actual event.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Do the people want fire that can be applied nasally? -Golgafrinchan Marketing Consultant

ianchudson

With Milkwakeeeeee being dead, can we move this up to May 31st?

I've been quiet lately, uber busy with RL stuff, but I'll try to catch up on the boards this week. I'm in Ohio, again...ugh.

themostrighteous

ianchudson wrote:With Milkwakeeeeee being dead, can we move this up to May 31st?

I've been quiet lately, uber busy with RL stuff, but I'll try to catch up on the boards this week. I'm in Ohio, again...ugh.

5/31 doesn't work at Tango Sur b/c it's a Saturday AND the Cubs are playing at home that day (which also rules out 6/1). 6/8 works b/c it's a Sunday AND the Cubs are playing away. i vote for 6/8.

y'all: time to start nailing down level of interest. please reply to this post if you are interested in doing this on 6/8. if you can't make it, please post alternative dates that you might be available. 'k?

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous wrote:5/31 doesn't work at Tango Sur b/c it's a Saturday AND the Cubs are playing at home that day (which also rules out 6/1). 6/8 works b/c it's a Sunday AND the Cubs are playing away. i vote for 6/8.

y'all: time to start nailing down level of interest. please reply to this post if you are interested in doing this on 6/8. if you can't make it, please post alternative dates that you might be available. 'k?

I'm in for June 8.

crusaderRabbit

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crusaderRabbit
Imagine4vr wrote:I'm in for June 8.

I have sailboat races June 22 & 29. Otherwise, no scheduled events in June.

Wine and Sailing: mother nature's conversation with man.

joekerjr

themostrighteous wrote:5/31 doesn't work at Tango Sur b/c it's a Saturday AND the Cubs are playing at home that day (which also rules out 6/1). 6/8 works b/c it's a Sunday AND the Cubs are playing away. i vote for 6/8.

I'm in after the book fair on the 8th.

themostrighteous

joekerjr wrote:I'm in after the book fair on the 8th.

just make sure to wear your penny loafers that day!

ianchudson

6/8 works for meeee.
My girlfriend's birthday is June 6th, I'm pretty sure we're doing dinner at Bin 36 downtown. 2 wine things in a weekend sounds yum.

tommythecat78

June 8th sounds good to me.

Imagine4vr

tommythecat78 wrote:June 8th sounds good to me.

Just bumping this up. Looks like June 8 is good for most of us and since it's less than a month away, do we want to make it happen? TMR how much notice do you have to give Tango Sur?

Let's drink more wine! Go Cubs!

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:Just bumping this up. Looks like June 8 is good for most of us and since it's less than a month away, do we want to make it happen? TMR how much notice do you have to give Tango Sur?

Let's drink more wine! Go Cubs!

very little. IIRC, they don't take reservations, but i'll call the restaurant to confirm. still, i'd like to pin group composition & potential wines down over the next couple of weeks, wouldn't you?

btw, CWWT#1 & #2 were what i would call "general" tastings, ie we all brought whatever we fancied. would y'all be interested in a more focused tasting along the lines of what our DC brethren are doing (Sparklers in their case)? if so, we could focus on a particular varietal(s), region(s), etc. thoughts?

crusaderRabbit

I've cleared the calendar for 6/8. What should I bring? I've got Woot:: Iron Horse CF, Rock Hollow Chard, Wellington Syrah, Polyphemus on the way. Or, I can drop by Binney's for something requested. Let me know how I can participate.

And a BIG question. I want to introduce my 15yo daughter to wine tasting. As I know nothing and cannot afford a 25 wine tasting in my kitchen, this gathering seems a perfect place to educate her. ( I have a theory. If she understands wine then when presented with some plonk at a party she will turn it down as undrinkable. Plus, if alcohol has a "purpose" the novelty of the forbidden is reduced. She's sensible (for 15yo) and we talk about the difference between drinking tasty wine and drinking to get drunk) We will be at a restaurant - will they forbid her participation? AND will any of the participants be put out by her presence?

I really want to hear thoughts on my idea. Thanks.

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous wrote:very little. IIRC, they don't take reservations, but i'll call the restaurant to confirm. still, i'd like to pin group composition & potential wines down over the next couple of weeks, wouldn't you?

btw, CWWT#1 & #2 were what i would call "general" tastings, ie we all brought whatever we fancied. would y'all be interested in a more focused tasting along the lines of what our DC brethren are doing (Sparklers in their case)? if so, we could focus on a particular varietal(s), region(s), etc. thoughts?

Yes I'd agree with everything you said! Since we are going to be at a steak house, I think that lends itself to those big bold reds. We could narrow it down even further, I'm open for whatever everyone would prefer.

crusaderRabbit wrote:
And a BIG question. I want to introduce my 15yo daughter to wine tasting. As I know nothing and cannot afford a 25 wine tasting in my kitchen, this gathering seems a perfect place to educate her. ( I have a theory. If she understands wine then when presented with some plonk at a party she will turn it down as undrinkable. Plus, if alcohol has a "purpose" the novelty of the forbidden is reduced. She's sensible (for 15yo) and we talk about the difference between drinking tasty wine and drinking to get drunk) We will be at a restaurant - will they forbid her participation? AND will any of the participants be put out by her presence?

I really want to hear thoughts on my idea. Thanks.

I understand your thought process and do not disagree. However, I would be very uncomfortable with a 15 year old at our "party". I do not know the laws well enough to know if they'd let her drink wine or not.

And just my opinion, why not share a taste or 2 of what you drink at h.ome? We went thru 20 bottles at the CWWT#2, and even though most of were spitting, we drank much and were pretty buzzed. I can't imagine a 15 year old drinking 15 wines and not being drunk.

If my thoughts count for anything, please leave your daughter at h.ome this time. Thank you for listening

Imagine4vr

delete please

themostrighteous

crusaderRabbit wrote:And a BIG question. I want to introduce my 15yo daughter to wine tasting. As I know nothing and cannot afford a 25 wine tasting in my kitchen, this gathering seems a perfect place to educate her. ( I have a theory. If she understands wine then when presented with some plonk at a party she will turn it down as undrinkable. Plus, if alcohol has a "purpose" the novelty of the forbidden is reduced. She's sensible (for 15yo) and we talk about the difference between drinking tasty wine and drinking to get drunk) We will be at a restaurant - will they forbid her participation? AND will any of the participants be put out by her presence?

sorry, CR, but this is clearly illegal in Illinois & a common sense no-can-do. i would recommend that you post your query in either the Pub or that you start your own thread to solicit others' opinions on how to educate your daughter in the privacy of your own home. cool?

crusaderRabbit

themostrighteous wrote:sorry, CR, but this is clearly illegal in Illinois & a common sense no-can-do. i would recommend that you post your query in either the Pub or that you start your own thread to solicit others' opinions on how to educate your daughter in the privacy of your own home. cool?

Thank you TMR. I read the link. Based on its summary I could bring her with me if the tasting was at a private residence. I had some small hope that this tasting would end up at a private residence and could include her (legally).

My question was not "What to do" but rather are you comfortable with my plan. Thank you Imagine. My intent was to get feelings, and if anyone is uncomfortable I shall not bring her.

As to teaching her myself; I know nothing. I cannot teach what I do not know. I hope to learn much, and quickly, at tastings like this. But I would not be able to teach for years. And what I could afford at home would be plonk, which is counter-productive.

themostrighteous

crusaderRabbit wrote:Thank you TMR. I read the link. Based on its summary I could bring her with me if the tasting was at a private residence. I had some small hope that this tasting would end up at a private residence and could include her (legally).

My question was not "What to do" but rather are you comfortable with my plan. Thank you Imagine. My intent was to get feelings, and if anyone is uncomfortable I shall not bring her.

As to teaching her myself; I know nothing. I cannot teach what I do not know. I hope to learn much, and quickly, at tastings like this. But I would not be able to teach for years. And what I could afford at home would be plonk, which is counter-productive.

the first two CWWT's were at private residences, so CWWT#3 at Tango Sur is actually a change of pace for us (which i think is important to keep things interesting). i'm certain that we will go back to private residences for one or more future tastings. but, since you asked, i will be perfectly honest w/ you: i would NOT feel comfortable w/ your plan. i am NOT a lawyer, but i have engaged professionally w/ too many of them, and i have admittedly developed an extremely low tolerance for potentially controversial situations. but others may disagree.

as for teaching her yourself, i can only recommend that you teach her what you learn as you learn it, and that will still put her years ahead of you in her learning curve (which is exactly what i hope to do w/ my son).

btw, i'm not sure i understand your reference to plonk: the only difference between tasting 10-20 wines in a CWWT tasting v. tasting them at home is the amount of time that it takes to sample the same (1 night v. many nights) & NOT the quality of the same. let me explain: w/ a just a couple of exceptions, most of the wines that we tasted at the first two CWWT's were in a "woot"-like price range (especially since many of them were woots!) & therefore presumably either already in your possession or w/in your reach. but (again) that's just my $0.02.

hope you can make it to CWWT#3.

themostrighteous

details, schmetails! here we go:

THEME: TBD
DATE: 6/8 mid afternoon
HOST: Tango Sur

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

YES
themostrighteous
Walstib (+ 1?)
Imagine4vr
joekerjr (for part of it)
tommythecat78
ianchudson (+ 1?)

MAYBE
mr flippy
foobarkski + 1
crusaderRabbit

NO CAN DO-EY
lauratchi + Joel

did i miss anyone or mislabel anyone's status? please post up. and please share your views on theme (varietala? regions? pot luck?).

getting pretty excited about this!!!

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:details, schmetails! here we go:

THEME: TBD
DATE: 6/8 mid afternoon
HOST: Tango Sur

ATTENDEES LIST (so far):

YES
themostrighteous
Walstib (+ 1?)
Imagine4vr
joekerjr (for part of it)
tommythecat78
ianchudson (+ 1?)

MAYBE
mr flippy
foobarkski + 1
crusaderRabbit

NO CAN DO-EY
lauratchi + Joel

did i miss anyone or mislabel anyone's status? please post up. and please share your views on theme (varietala? regions? pot luck?).

getting pretty excited about this!!!

I may have 1 or 2 extras...theme suggestion: "Big and Bold"...as Imagine mentioned it is a steak house.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib

Been passing on the last few woot offerings, so haven't been on the boards as much. Yep, I'm in +1.

As far as a theme, I have mixed feelings. The variety at CWWT#2 was really nice. It was fun to move through the various types of wines. That said, focusing on "Big and Bold" or "Goes With Steak" sounds like it could also be interesting (and right up my alley in terms of preferred varietals).

I'm on the fence and will go along with consensus.

Sounds like much fun. Do we want a bigger group? Maybe a post on next week's main thread would draw some more drinkers?

themostrighteous

Walstib wrote:Sounds like much fun. Do we want a bigger group? Maybe a post on next week's main thread would draw some more drinkers?

will do. but i admit that i wouldn't mind a smaller tasting than last time. though that was pretty wicked cool!

my vote wrt theme would be "Goes w/ Steak" which is ALMOST always "Big & Bold" but not entirely. regardless of whether we have a theme or what that theme turns out to be if we do have one, i would strongly recommend that we do not repeat any of the wines that we had at CWWT#1 or #2, in the interest of our palates' ongoing education. i will post a cumulative list of those wines later this week to that end.

tommythecat78

themostrighteous wrote:will do. but i admit that i wouldn't mind a smaller tasting than last time. though that was pretty wicked cool!

my vote wrt theme would be "Goes w/ Steak" which is ALMOST always "Big & Bold" but not entirely. regardless of whether we have a theme or what that theme turns out to be if we do have one, i would strongly recommend that we do not repeat any of the wines that we had at CWWT#1 or #2, in the interest of our palates' ongoing education. i will post a cumulative list of those wines later this week to that end.

please do post the wines...and any special request you might have that you can't find in Chicago...I am in Los Angeles this weekend and maybe I'll be able to find it here and bring it to the tasting.