dontwantaname

quality posts: 13 Private Messages dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

AlienResearchGrpHome wrote:
Please be a part of the cure.

just a bump.

If anyone has any charity, this is the place to put it!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!
No greater love is lost than that not shared.

GodfatherND

quality posts: 0 Private Messages GodfatherND

I do volunteer work for a local charity (Bible Camp) by selling donated items on eBay. We just received a donation from an old antique store. I'm trying to sort through the items and list them as I can.

There's quite a variety, and they'll be listed with small starting prices. I should mention that I don't receive any funds; all the money goes directly to the camp organization.

If you're interested, please add us as a favorite seller (badlandsministries).

Thanks!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Bump.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Page 3?
Nobody has a charity?
Argh's is trying to raise money for research. Lets give Alien a Chirstmas gift!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bump for the new year.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

NeoLuddite

quality posts: 0 Private Messages NeoLuddite

Bump

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
-Sir Winston Churchill

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Corrado, our wine.woot mod, will do a polar bear dive for the Special Olympics this weekend. In Vermont!

Go over to wine.woot, find him and the link is in his sig line.

Shrinkage.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:Corrado, our wine.woot mod, will do a polar bear dive for the Special Olympics this weekend. In Vermont!

Go over to wine.woot, find him and the link is in his sig line.

Shrinkage.

There is still time!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Fen, stop bumping threads and knocking this back!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

dontwantaname wrote:Fen, stop bumping threads and knocking this back!

bump

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

times are tough for a lot of people. things could be getting worse before they get better. how about lending a helping hand to someone?

post your charity ideas here in this thread.

PemberDucky

quality posts: 39 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

"It is under the greatest adversity that there exists the greatest potential for doing good, both for oneself and others."
The Dalai Lama told me that.

It's getting warmer out, and lots of orgs are going to be arranging walks/runs. Get involved with those! You'll raise money for a cause and get a little exercise. And a free shirt!

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Dear GuideStar User,

Come see the new and improved GuideStar Web site! We're still at www.guidestar.org, but with a brand-new look and great new features. Here are just a few:

Better navigation and searching—new task-oriented navigation gets you where you need to be. Search enhancements make it easier than ever to find and use the information you want.
More information for donors—attractive new reports let you learn what's really important—how well a nonprofit accomplishes its mission. Photos and video let you see an organization in action, and peer reviews tell you about others' experiences with a nonprofit.
Better ways for nonprofits to get the word out—if you're with a nonprofit, the GuideStar Exchange gives you more options for reaching out to donors and funders. Upload photos, link to videos, post key documents, and more.
We can all use a bright spot in this gloomy economy, and we've been working hard to make GuideStar shine even brighter. So please visit today and let us know what you think of the new site—you'll find a "feedback" link on every page.

Best Regards,

Bob Ottenhoff
President and CEO
www.guidestar.org

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

soliver

quality posts: 27 Private Messages soliver

Hi gang! A fellow Wooter suggested I post this as a charity suggestion for consideration (thanks KtCallista!).

My sister is runnning a triathlon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Seattle. Her goal is raise $3,900 before her event in June. She has already made it to the $2,000 mark and is looking for more support. If you can spare a donation, or a kind and supportive word, she would be most appreciative.

She is tracking her training efforts on her blog. Her latest post even highlights a woot shirt (Without Porpoise)!

You can read her blog here and donate here. Donations are tax-deductable. As an added bonus, she sends out these really niffty thank-you cards.

kdccrosby

quality posts: 7 Private Messages kdccrosby
soliver wrote:Hi gang! A fellow Wooter suggested I post this as a charity suggestion for consideration (thanks KtCallista!).

My sister is runnning a triathlon for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in Seattle. Her goal is raise $3,900 before her event in June. She has already made it to the $2,000 mark and is looking for more support. If you can spare a donation, or a kind and supportive word, she would be most appreciative.

She is tracking her training efforts on her blog. Her latest post even highlights a woot shirt (Without Porpoise)!

You can read her blog here and donate here. Donations are tax-deductable. As an added bonus, she sends out these really niffty thank-you cards.

gave $10. it's not much, but hopefully it helps. best wishes to your sister!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Bottom of page two.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

soliver wrote:Hi gang! A fellow Wooter suggested I post this as a charity suggestion for consideration (thanks KtCallista!).

This is still active!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

It looks like some of ARGH's pictures are disappearing.
Anyone who wants them had better print them soon.

Then go donate to his charity!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Hi wooters!

It has been three years today since ARGH showed up, out of the blue, and posted this.

6/7/06

killingtime wrote:

Maybe he doesn't like us anymore...

LOL

I LURV YOU GUYS!

Dork!!!

What we didn't know then was he may have been telling us goodbye. It sure looked like it when we all went back to read everything posted in all the threads that day.

If you remember ARGH, it is a good day to donate to his favorite charity!
Are you willing to take the chance that there is an afterlife that allows people to know what is happening down here?
Are you willing to have to answer to ARGH in the afterlife if you don't????
The beautiful child is 8 or 9 now. Do it for him!

Argh's sister changed her email, so I don't think there is any way to let his family know. Do it anyway!

Please be a part of the cure.

^^^^^^^^^^Link^^^^^^^^^^^

For all you new wooters,;..you missed out on knowing one truly amazing person!
A person who would have been on probation almost every day for his pictures! Yet, he was never reported!

I'm still trying to decide if I should take the quote out of my sig line.
3 years.
Well, I'll think about it.
Maybe next year.

Oh, and that House episode....I still think it was about him. He lived in CA. The writer for House, who's child had SMA, lived in CA. You know ARGH would have been active in FSMA and they must have met.
His sister told KT (runs and hides from KT for repeating something in that email) that Argh had service dogs and really loved them.
Remember guys, that charactor came back in the next show to haunt House for killing his dog!

Just make the donation!

Than make another on the 10th.

The origional charity thread was thrown out of order. Any thread from 06 that you try to post in makes all the posts go out of order.
Unstuck in time.

Hey Alien....
WE LURV YOU! DORK!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

Make that donation!

Make it now!

The site changed. The original screen for donations isn't secure, you have to click on the donate button on top of the page, and then the secure screen comes up.

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

no1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages no1

bump, for no particular reason.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

I asked Zilla If I wanted to give money to a veteran charity, which one would he recommend.
This is what he gave me.

Luke's Wings
Source: lukeswings.org
Thanks for visiting Luke's Wings to learn more about our organization. Luke’s Wings provides travel planning services and airplane tickets for the families of wounded warriors currently hospitalized at medical and rehabilitation centers all over the country.

It would be a real way to thank our veterans!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

pblgov

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pblgov

pooflady

quality posts: 20 Private Messages pooflady
pblgov wrote:

It sounds like the three of you make a terrific family.

pblgov

pooflady wrote:It sounds like the three of you make a terrific family.

there are five of us...

Thank you for your kind gift.

realtormom4

quality posts: 0 Private Messages realtormom4

Chase is giving away money to nonprofits on Facebook!

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/

If you are a facebook user, us the link above download the application and vote for Beulah House, Inc. located in Dublin VA.

Beulah House, Inc provides competent, compassionate care for terminally ill individuals who do not have a willing/able caregiver that would allow them to remain in their own homes.

After you have voted for Beulah House, Inc. find 19 other charities to support and vote for them!

Chase is giving $25,000 to 100 charities with the most votes.

GET CLICKING!

kdccrosby

pblgov wrote:

Bless you and your family. I'm glad you posted this in here.

pblgov

dontwantaname wrote:pblgov, do you want that link in?
Because it isn't in the picture anymore, but it is in Poof answer.
So it seems we either have to add it or take it out of a post!

it's embedded in the picture as a link.

bvillarreal

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bvillarreal
dontwantaname wrote:just a bump.

If anyone has any charity, this is the place to put it!

I just stayed up way past my bedtime reading this thread. How very sweet to take the time and space for this. I didn't know ARGH, but read about SMA on the web site linked. St. Jude's children's hospital, as someone else mentioned is a good charity!
Don'twantaname, I came across this article about promising research into SMA I thought you might appreciate too: http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/article.php?q=08053044
And one more charity - our local food pantry greatly appreciates donations and volunteers, as I'm sure most do - especially after the holidays, when they really are low on supplies and volunteers. You can google or bing food pantry in your city and probably find a web site where you can even donate online! Thanks for sharing these stories and charities.

jasneko

quality posts: 30 Private Messages jasneko

Free charities - people can click once a day and sponsors will donate money for the causes. I try to go as often as I can... I posted this in a few threads during the stop hunger with hope derby, but perhaps it could be used here by people..

http://thehungersite.com/
And there are other causes at the top tabs you can also click on. Just takes a few seconds a day!

Here is another site I go to that donates to causes for clicks:
http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/

There are many different causes:
children,
big cats like tigers,
seals,
primates,
wolves,
breast cancer,
etc

I have actual charities I'd recommend too, but perhaps I'll just put these for now! With these you can take a minute a day to make a difference (it adds up!) even if money is tight, since it's free to click.

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

bvillarreal wrote:I just stayed up way past my bedtime reading this thread. How very sweet to take the time and space for this. I didn't know ARGH, but read about SMA on the web site linked. St. Jude's children's hospital, as someone else mentioned is a good charity!
Don'twantaname, I came across this article about promising research into SMA I thought you might appreciate too: http://www.sciencecentric.com/news/article.php?q=08053044
And one more charity - our local food pantry greatly appreciates donations and volunteers, as I'm sure most do - especially after the holidays, when they really are low on supplies and volunteers. You can google or bing food pantry in your city and probably find a web site where you can even donate online! Thanks for sharing these stories and charities.

Thanks!

I know that my church collects food on the first sunday of the month. No middle man!
I bet other churches do too. So even if you don't go to church, you can drop the food off

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pblgov wrote:

I guess we have a new kid on the thread!

We don't know what happened to ARGH's nephew, the beautiful child.
Now we can give to pblgov's little one.
Can I post her name?

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

jasneko

Giving this thread a bump, wanted to name a few places...

Mental illness affects so many people and yet so many of these illnesses are still in the dark ages as far as treatment, stigma and support goes. It can take otherwise healthy, wonderful people - often teenagers and young adults - and put them and their families into a living nightmare for which there is no clear cure, little understanding and little help. And because of all this and more, it can be tragically fatal.

Considering the large percentage of the population that have various mental illnesses, there is a shocking lack of research, funds and awareness going towards mental illness compared to other illnesses.

Please take a moment to read more about it, or donate to either of these groups that strive to better the situation...

-------------------
NAMI - (National Alliance on Mental Illness):

www.nami.org

--At the heart of NAMI's mission is our grassroots and the sharing of information with people with mental illness, their families, friends, mental health professionals, and the general public. NAMI strives to offer hope, reform and health to our American community through support, education , and advocacy efforts. Research is constantly providing us with new information about the brain and the nature of mental illnesses and, consequently, more effective treatments.

Donate to NAMI
-----------------
NARSAD (previously known as the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression) is a private, nonprofit group that raises money for research into mental illness.
www.narsad.org

Donate to NARSAD
------------------

arparham

quality posts: 0 Private Messages arparham

Help me with this years NAMI

Here is my walk team page
www.nami.org/namiwalks10/NOR/journeywalkers

And here is my personal page
www.nami.org/namiwalks10/NOR/msash

You can sponsor me. Ever cent will help. Just giving $2, $1...$0.5 anything will help. If ya get enough people together, we can teach enough people the lesson.

PM me if ya want more information.

pblgov

dontwantaname wrote:I guess we have a new kid on the thread!

We don't know what happened to ARGH's nephew, the beautiful child.
Now we can give to pblgov's little one.
Can I post her name?

yup

dontwantaname

Volunteer Moderator

pblgov wrote:

Ok, this is Shira.
Please click on the picture and give to her cause.
It is a genetic disorder that seems to run though all races and nationalities.
One of those disorders you never heard of, until someone you know gets it.

Lets find a cure for Shira!

While you are at it, don't forget ARGH's nephew.
Plus all the other's who have listed here!

WE LURV YOU TOO! Dork!!!

jasneko

I thought perhaps I should post this quick when so many people are shopping at Amazon right now... do you think it should have its own thread?
Anyway here goes...

If you shop at amazon, bookmark this link:
http://www.SavetheChildren.org/shop-amazon

Shop at Amazon.com and Earn $$$ for Save the Children

What if Save the Children earned $$$ every time you made a purchase on
Amazon.com? And — at no extra cost to you!
Shop at Amazon.com
Click to shop at Amazon

When you use our special Amazon.com shopping link, your Amazon.com
purchases can earn a 4–15% for us. You’ll help the Save the Children
on every purchase you make.

You don't need to do anything special. Amazon.com will send any $$$
earned to Save the Children directly.

After clicking on our Amazon shopping link, bookmark it in your
browser and use this bookmark every time you shop at Amazon.com and
you will continue to support Save the Children's mission of creating
lasting change for children in need in the U.S. and around the world.
Shop at Amazon.com Shop at Amazon

Spread the Word:

Pass the word along to friends. Send them the following direct
Amazon.com shopping link to bookmark and use when they shop:
http://www.SavetheChildren.org/shop-amazon

You can also send the following URL link to your friends to learn more
about this:
http://www.savethechildren.org/get-involved/more-ways-to-help/amazon-associates-shopping.html
http://www.savethechildren.org/get-involved/more-ways-to-help/amazon-associates-shopping.html?WT.mc_id=sn_combined_12-2009

kdccrosby

A friend posted this on Facebook:

...A cause that’s very important to me has a real opportunity to win $1M to help CURE Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA), the #1 genetic killer of young children. My sister has lost 2 sons to SMA. Please follow the link below, vote and then repost this message and help turn this $1M MIRACLE into a reality…VOTE… http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charities/710566 for the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation in the Chase Community Giving campaign on FB.
Thanks XOXO

This is a foundation dedicated to SMA, which has touched more peoples lives than I realized, or that it should have.

If you have FB and don't mind, please vote. The link here doesn't work, so follow these steps

1 In the upper right corner of FB, in the search bar type Chase Community Giving and search.
2 If you would like to participate, allow the application
3 Click the Vote Here Tab
4 Click View the Leaderboard, and then View Top 100 by List
5 Scroll to the Gwendolyn Strong Foundation (for SMA) or choose the charity of your choice

It seems complicated, but it doesn't take long.