themostrighteous

quality posts: 12 Private Messages themostrighteous

I am positively jealous. It seems that everywhere I look in the forums, yet another tasting in yet another city other than Chicago is being planned, held, remembered. I want in on the wine.woot community tasting action!

Haven't thought about the where, the when, or even the format / theme. I am happy to take the initiative or to cede it to anybody else who has experience organizing a tasting (I certainly don't). But we have to start somewhere:

Who is interested in participating?
Does someone have experience organizing a tasting?
Suggestions as to where, when, format / theme?

Bonus Question: Can anyone figure out a way of cajoling SB or rpm into joining us?

do you know... what biodynamics is?

Loweeel

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Loweeel
themostrighteous wrote:I am positively jealous. It seems that everywhere I look in the forums, yet another tasting in yet another city other than Chicago is being planned, held, remembered. I want in on the wine.woot community tasting action!

Haven't thought about the where, the when, or even the format / theme. I am happy to take the initiative or to cede it to anybody else who has experience organizing a tasting (I certainly don't). But we have to start somewhere:

I can't get you to come to VA? If I can find cheap airfare, I'll try to get to yours.

Bonus Question: Can anyone figure out a way of cajoling SB or rpm into joining us?

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:I am positively jealous. It seems that everywhere I look in the forums, yet another tasting in yet another city other than Chicago is being planned, held, remembered. I want in on the wine.woot community tasting action!

I can't get you to come to VA? If I can find cheap airfare, I'll try to get to yours.

Favorites: Roessler ¬ KRPN ¬ Etude ¬ Stuart ¬ KRPort ¬ Tøøthstejnn ¬ Titus ¬ URSA ¬ InZin ¬ SBMystery ¬ SxBS&Z+4 ¬ DC3&4 ¬ TyC3&FB ¬ FeEquus ¬ PSPS ¬ Harvey ¬ SBRes&CR ¬ Corison ¬ Noceto ¬ Humbug ¬ KRSEXY3SOME ¬ PoiZin06 ¬ POLY ¬ Castoro ¬ SBCab ¬ KRPS2K ¬ HW12 ¬ GSaké ¬ הגפןCab ¬ PepBr

CT ¬ PSychos' Path
"The one difference between me and Petite Sirah is that I don't have a dumb period." - YT

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:I can't get you to come to VA? If I can find cheap airfare, I'll try to get to yours.

My new gig may very well take me back to DC, so I'll definitely keep you posted, but right now it looks like it'd be just you & me in a Second City tasting.

Imagine4vr

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Imagine4vr

I'd be interested in participating, and perhaps even help with the planning?
I have no experience with wine tastings either.
My suggestion would just be something casual and as much to meet other wooters as well as tasting wines.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

I'd be in.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

cmfisher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmfisher

i'd also be interested. we tried to do this once and the bottom kind of fell out of it.

themostrighteous

Well, four is definitely a start (five if Loweeel can join us), so why don't we tackle the prospective when first & worry about the other details next. I would suggest either a Thursday or a Friday in February. (I know that Friday's are tough for some, but I could certainly do it, so I'm throwing it out there.) Any particular preference for Thursday v. Friday?

Imagine4vr: I am totally on board w/ something casual, and I am more than happy to share the planning responsibilities w/ you, so feel free to post (or PM me w/) your thoughts on this.

Loweeel: If you do manage to come out, I just might have to break out a bottle of PS that you haven't tried, say something like this? I know, I know, I am downright evil sometimes.

Loweeel

themostrighteous wrote:Well, four is definitely a start (five if Loweeel can join us), so why don't we tackle the prospective when first & worry about the other details next. I would suggest either a Thursday or a Friday in February. (I know that Friday's are tough for some, but I could certainly do it, so I'm throwing it out there.) Any particular preference for Thursday v. Friday?

Imagine4vr: I am totally on board w/ something casual, and I am more than happy to share the planning responsibilities w/ you, so feel free to post (or PM me w/) your thoughts on this.

Loweeel: If you do manage to come out, I just might have to break out a bottle of PS that you haven't tried, say something like this? I know, I know, I am downright evil sometimes.

February isn't good for me, but I hope to be able to swing march, between $ and time. But worry more about the locals than about me.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
themostrighteous wrote:Loweeel: If you do manage to come out, I just might have to break out a bottle of PS that you haven't tried, say something like this? I know, I know, I am downright evil sometimes.

Bah, you really wanna be evil tempt him with the violation, it's probably much harder to get, not as costly, but perhaps more rare.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

Loweeel

bhodilee wrote:Bah, you really wanna be evil tempt him with the violation, it's probably much harder to get, not as costly, but perhaps more rare.

Now if the mighty Bowtie himself were to make an appearance, it would be even easier for me to get out there.

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
Loweeel wrote:Now if the mighty Bowtie himself were to make an appearance, it would be even easier for me to get out there.

The Chi really isn't far, but that'd lead to the first divorce before marriage in history. I could stop in Amana Colonies and pick up some wicked fruit wines though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:February isn't good for me, but I hope to be able to swing march, between $ and time. But worry more about the locals than about me.

March works for me as well, and the locals ain't chimed in yet, so we'll see, we'll see...

bhodilee wrote:Bah, you really wanna be evil tempt him with the violation, it's probably much harder to get, not as costly, but perhaps more rare.

About the same net price to me, actually, though I agree that the Violation is probably more rare. In either case, however, we'd be committing vino-infanticide, but a little sacrifice never hurt anyone...

bhodilee wrote:The Chi really isn't far, but that'd lead to the first divorce before marriage in history. I could stop in Amana Colonies and pick up some wicked fruit wines though.

That WOULD suck, I admit, but look at it this way: I crack a bottle of the Violation open, you get to sample it AND suppress your almost maddening desire to crack one of yours open, and you still have two of those beautes in your cellar when all is said & done. Almost worth pre-marital strife. Strike that: Definitely.

Imagine4vr

themostrighteous wrote:March works for me as well, and the locals ain't chimed in yet, so we'll see, we'll see...

I know there are a LOT of Chicago people around the forums, was hoping to get more interest generated first. Might want to post in the main forums as many don't always check this side.

March would be fine for me, but I'll be gone the 5th-12th. Otherwise I'm pretty open for Feb or March.

Where does everyone live? If we're going to do a weeknight as you suggested, I think location would be more important then on a Sat or Sun (for most)

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:I know there are a LOT of Chicago people around the forums, was hoping to get more interest generated first. Might want to post in the main forums as many don't always check this side.

March would be fine for me, but I'll be gone the 5th-12th. Otherwise I'm pretty open for Feb or March.

Where does everyone live? If we're going to do a weeknight as you suggested, I think location would be more important then on a Sat or Sun (for most)

Post away, but I find that the more, err, "established" wine.wooters tend to lurk in the community forums more so than those who are only occasionally interested in wine.woot, and I admit that that is who I thought you meant when you suggested that the tasting be as much about meeting other wine.wooters as about the wine itself.

I live in the North Shore, ply my trade in the Loop, and am happy to meet anywhere in between. Incidentally, if Saturday or Sunday works best for others, that'd be fine w/ me as well. I will do just about anything for good wine & good company.

cmfisher

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cmfisher

thursdays are not really good for me. i have brazilian jiu-jitsu classes on those nights and its tournament season so i cant really miss any classes.

but then again, my schedule is always a little up in the air. i travel a decent amount for work, so my times change a lot. you all go ahead and set a date and hopefully i can make it if i'm not gone for work.

i live downtown (right around the hancock) and work up in Northbrook.

themostrighteous wrote:Post away, but I find that the more, err, "established" wine.wooters tend to lurk in the community forums more so than those who are only occasionally interested in wine.woot, and I admit that that is who I thought you meant when you suggested that the tasting be as much about meeting other wine.wooters as about the wine itself.

I live in the North Shore, ply my trade in the Loop, and am happy to meet anywhere in between. Incidentally, if Saturday or Sunday works best for others, that'd be fine w/ me as well. I will do just about anything for good wine & good company.

solarfish42

quality posts: 3 Private Messages solarfish42

As a side, I get up to Chicago (Milwaukee and Valparaiso) several times a year. I'll keep checking in here to see if I can't time a trip together with a tasting if interest continues.

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

I'm all in.
I live and work close to O'Hare, but I'm willing to go just about anywhere for the meeting, (I'll even cross state lines if Loweel and BowTie are gonna be there).
Fridays would be better for me. Feb and March are fine for me except for Feb. 15th.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

oppsie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages oppsie
smlauren wrote:I'm all in.
I live and work close to O'Hare, but I'm willing to go just about anywhere for the meeting, (I'll even cross state lines if Loweel and BowTie are gonna be there).
Fridays would be better for me. Feb and March are fine for me except for Feb. 15th.

Make it a weekend and I could consider dragging the DH down for a quickie vacation from DTW.

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
oppsie wrote:Make it a weekend and I could consider dragging the DH down for a quickie vacation from DTW.

If my better half has travel up there for work I might be able to swing this also, pending his flights and schedule.

121 Woots and counting

themostrighteous

Imagine4vr wrote:I know there are a LOT of Chicago people around the forums, was hoping to get more interest generated first. Might want to post in the main forums as many don't always check this side.

Took your advice after all (see). I suggest that we wait & see what interest looks like by the end of this week before we start throwing out specific dates for everybody's consideration.

marcman

quality posts: 0 Private Messages marcman

I am so in - dont know if im the best resource for trying to plan this since I havent lived here for too long, but I think its an awesome idea. I live in lakeview and work in the west loop/right by union station.

As long as its scheduled far enough in advance, any date should pretty much work for me. Im rocking a nice bachelor schedule of having nothing to do but drink wine and go to the gym, so im good for anything. My thinking on the topic is that we should find a BYOB steak joint and each bring a different bottle or two for tasting purposes while we enjoy our red meat. I think cafe babareeba is BYOB possibly, I'll have to double check though

P.S. good call posting in the other forum, I normally dont check the other threads beyond the current wine offering

Loweeel

marcman wrote:I am so in - dont know if im the best resource for trying to plan this since I havent lived here for too long, but I think its an awesome idea. I live in lakeview and work in the west loop/right by union station.

As long as its scheduled far enough in advance, any date should pretty much work for me. Im rocking a nice bachelor schedule of having nothing to do but drink wine and go to the gym, so im good for anything. My thinking on the topic is that we should find a BYOB steak joint and each bring a different bottle or two for tasting purposes while we enjoy our red meat. I think cafe babareeba is BYOB possibly, I'll have to double check though

P.S. good call posting in the other forum, I normally dont check the other threads beyond the current wine offering

Oh man. That's a wonderful idea. I hope they have good stemware (and a hell of a lot of patience!)

CT ¬ PSychos' Path

marcman

bigmay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigmay
marcman wrote:EDIT: Tango Sur was what I was thinking of, read about it here

http://chicago.metromix.com/restaurants/south_american/tango-sur-wrigleyville/135583/content

or

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tango-sur-chicago

I was about to say that. I had a good buddy that used to live right around the corner from that place and I've been there a couple of times. Had my first (and only) experience with Caymus there. Unfortunately they don't use stems for BYOB - or at least they didn't a few years ago. Steaks were great though.

themostrighteous

marcman wrote:My thinking on the topic is that we should find a BYOB steak joint and each bring a different bottle or two for tasting purposes while we enjoy our red meat. I think cafe babareeba is BYOB possibly, I'll have to double check though

I agree w/ my main man L. K i l l e r idea. If anybody else has any other BYOB restaurant suggestions, speak up or forever hold your peace.

marcman wrote:P.S. good call posting in the other forum, I normally dont check the other threads beyond the current wine offering

You can thank Imagine4vr for that.

marcman

bigmay wrote:I was about to say that. I had a good buddy that used to live right around the corner from that place and I've been there a couple of times. Had my first (and only) experience with Caymus there. Unfortunately they don't use stems for BYOB - or at least they didn't a few years ago. Steaks were great though.

yeah, I havent been there yet, but I am a HUGE proponent of BYOB and and even bigger proponent of steak restaurants. That being said, I hear this place is incredible - huge portions, no corkage fee, etc. I know its probably against the rules, but I love to BYOB red wine to sushi places. Never a big fan of white wine, and while the sushi probably doesnt compliment the wine too well, i still love it. Most BYOB places unfortunately dont have real stemware though, just cheapo ikea cups usually. oh well

themostrighteous

bigmay wrote:I was about to say that. I had a good buddy that used to live right around the corner from that place and I've been there a couple of times. Had my first (and only) experience with Caymus there. Unfortunately they don't use stems for BYOB - or at least they didn't a few years ago. Steaks were great though.

Well, if they let us BYOS, we should be good to go!

If the restaurant manager / owner is Argentine, then we might have a shot. Spanish is my native language, and I have spent quite a bit of time in B.A. in my days (that's Buenos Aires for the uninitiated), so I might just be able to sweet-talk him / her into letting us bring our own stems. My guess is that it will be a function, among other things, of what day of the week & time in the day we schedule this, but more on that later this week.

marcman

themostrighteous wrote:Well, if they let us BYOS, we should be good to go!

If the restaurant manager / owner is Argentine, then we might have a shot. Spanish is my native language, and I have spent quite a bit of time in B.A. in my days (that's Buenos Aires for the uninitiated), so I might just be able to sweet-talk him / her into letting us bring our own stems. My guess is that it will be a function, among other things, of what day of the week & time in the day we schedule this, but more on that later this week.

I would think later in the week or on a weekend would be ideal due to the high level of alcohol that will most assuredly be imbibed by us all, but I'm all for it any day of the week. I do think its a cool idea if we all bring something different that maybe each of us havent had a chance yet to try/purchase. Woot exclusive wines of course. For example, im kicking myself for not picking up any of that copolla reserve pinot noir last summer and would LOVE to try some (maybe not ideal for steak though? I'm not so good at pairing as previously stated!)

bigmay

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bigmay
themostrighteous wrote:Well, if they let us BYOS, we should be good to go!

Yeah, I'd say go for it. It never hurts to ask. I think I've only ever been there on a Saturday night and they were quite busy but again, this was a few years ago. You're lucky to have good BYOB restaurants in Chicago. I really wish we had that option here in the Twin Cities. I spent a couple of weeks in Australia and BYO is huge down there. We had a great time with it. And I so badly would love to get to Buenos Aires one day.

themostrighteous

bigmay wrote:And I so badly would love to get to Buenos Aires one day.

Everybody should. Preferably while you are still single. And that is not a sexist comment, BTW, it applies to EVERYBODY.

themostrighteous

Loweeel wrote:That's what I was planning on bringing to Chicago, if I come. I think the '88 Topolos should be good as well.

Well, brother, that just about settles it: we're going to have to schedule this baby when you & your lovely PS companion bottle can make it out here.

damightyanteater

quality posts: 12 Private Messages damightyanteater

I would be interested.

May I suggest Bin 36 next to the house of Blues. They have flights ready if we want to have those.

My last 5 woots:
  • Robert Craig Mount Veeder Cabernet Sauvignon x2
  • Woot Cellars Boss Monster Zinfandel Six - Pack
  • Armida Winery Poizin Trio
  • Olivestri Siloro olio nuovo
  • Wellington Vineyard Designate Cabernet Trio

richc7

quality posts: 4 Private Messages richc7
damightyanteater wrote:I would be interested.

May I suggest Bin 36 next to the house of Blues. They have flights ready if we want to have those.

I guess Tango Sur really doesn't have much food for you :-/ although the chicken was pretty good...

I'm a big fan of Tango Sur as my friends and I go there on occassion, but don't expect the best service or salad for that matter. The steaks though are fantastic (we usually get the llomo relleno) and not that expensive when you split a portion for 2. They can, however, take a long time with cooking the steaks, but that'll just give you more time to enjoy the wine. However, I would advise against going on a Friday or Saturday because it'll be absolutely packed with very long waiting times unless you make a reservation well in advance (assuming they let you depending on the party size).

Another BYOB that I've enjoyed is a Thai restaurant called Opart Thai. They have 2 locations and while I've only been to just 1, the food has been very good the few times I've been there and, somewhat surprisingly, hasn't been that busy.

If I could suggest a date to meet it'd be for late February. Unfortunately med school exams and boards >>>>> wine.woot gatherings

evrything4fun

quality posts: 0 Private Messages evrything4fun

I am about 3 1/2 hours away and would love to join but in my last semester of college and it is kinda crazy. If another one is planned after May I will be in!

Actively searching for a wine.wooter annonymous meeting

jr24

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jr24

I'm in the burbs and would love to join the party.

Imagine4vr

richc7 wrote:I guess Tango Sur really doesn't have much food for you :-/ although the chicken was pretty good...

I'm a big fan of Tango Sur as my friends and I go there on occassion, but don't expect the best service or salad for that matter. The steaks though are fantastic (we usually get the llomo relleno) and not that expensive when you split a portion for 2. They can, however, take a long time with cooking the steaks, but that'll just give you more time to enjoy the wine. However, I would advise against going on a Friday or Saturday because it'll be absolutely packed with very long waiting times unless you make a reservation well in advance (assuming they let you depending on the party size).

Another BYOB that I've enjoyed is a Thai restaurant called Opart Thai. They have 2 locations and while I've only been to just 1, the food has been very good the few times I've been there and, somewhat surprisingly, hasn't been that busy.

If I could suggest a date to meet it'd be for late February. Unfortunately med school exams and boards >>>>> wine.woot gatherings

Opart Thai is one of my favorite Thai places! Rarely busy, food is excellent and prices reasonable.

I live and work from home on the far north side in the city. As far as availability, just about anytime would work for me.

ashecorvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashecorvin

Thanks for posting in the other thread. Like someone else mentioned, I rarely read anything other than the main thread.

I am definitely interested in a tasting. I've heard wonderful things about Tango Sur, but have never actually gone myself. BYOB places are a'plenty here though, which is a beautiful thing.

My availability is fairly open with the exception of March 14 - 24th, during which I'll be out of the country. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays are the best days for me as I have pool leagues Tuesdays and Thursdays, though I'd probably be more than happy to skip a week depending on what the standings look like.

I live Near North (Chicago and Western) and work in Northbrook (Glenview, really) like cmfisher. Glad I'm not the only sucker making that long commute every morning.I'm open to any place in the city. I'd avoid the burbs if I could, but I'd go if that's where everyone decided to go.

Cheers!
Ashe Corvin

123 bottles and counting...

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

WineDavid has sent some kind of "treat" to the Minnesota wine tasting gathering. Another reason to make sure we do this.

EDIT: He sent something to the NYC gathering as well.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

bunnymasseuse

quality posts: 2 Private Messages bunnymasseuse
smlauren wrote:WineDavid has sent some kind of "treat" to the Minnesota wine tasting gathering. Another reason to make sure we do this.

EDIT: He sent something to the NYC gathering as well.

ADDITIONAL EDIT: He also sent something to the first DC/VA/MD w00t wine gathering

121 Woots and counting