DonaldWilliams

quality posts: 29 Private Messages DonaldWilliams
yermej wrote:True, but woot does spell it Champagne at the top of the page and the actual box says Champagne as well. Along with Bouquet of Fruirts or whatever it used to say, it seems woot was just sloppy with this one. It's happened before...not too long ago actually. Maybe somebody needs to review that new hire?

Furthermore, the US is not a signatory to the treaty regarding calling a wine champagne. Although many of the better sparkling wine producers (e.g., Chandon, Iron Horse, et. al.) abide by the spirit (no pun intended) of said treaty, many others, especially the cheaper ones, do not.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

yermej wrote:True, but woot does spell it Champagne at the top of the page and the actual box says Champagne as well. Along with Bouquet of Fruirts or whatever it used to say, it seems woot was just sloppy with this one. It's happened before...not too long ago actually. Maybe somebody needs to review that new hire?

Um..it was a WD typo..

skizzy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages skizzy

Chocolate and wine?

no brainer..in for one..

j-o-h-n

quality posts: 4 Private Messages j-o-h-n

Sham pawn ya!

Higher prices AND crappier blanks, no thank you

yermej

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yermej
Winedavid39 wrote:Um..it was a WD typo..

Well, that's a different story then. That just shows that you're going above and beyond in your duties to sample new wines for woot to offer. Thanks!

tkastorff

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tkastorff

In for one, will pawn off at least 2 as gifts ... assuming I don't eat them all first

sure is better than that lame tree ;-)

w.w bottles| 308 L: Spelletich Lodi Sangiovese

"Life's too short for bad coffee, bad chocolate, and bad wine"

All4Gardners

quality posts: 0 Private Messages All4Gardners
tenor1trpt wrote:Does anyone know if these are good sized truffles? ...

Tuffles aren't supposed to be real big anyway - a box of 9 seems like enough for a gift... They're 23.95 here:
http://www.gourmetgifts.vons.com/products/truffles.html

rg

Lyresti

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Lyresti

I picked up a set. These should work well for gifts to holiday party hosts. Like the girlfriend's aunt...

As a general comment, I happen to think what wine.woot is doing this week is great. WD, how about a microbrew beer sampler? Some of us aren't partial to wine, we are just all around alcoholics. =)

ackmondual

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ackmondual
fzzywolf wrote:[quote postid="1781316" user="ackmondual"]?Champayne"? That's a web site as far as I can tell, but is that a mistype, or is there some cloned champagne or champagne substitute called "Champayne"? Is it like drinking "malk" instead of milk??Champayne"? That's a web site as far as I can tell, but is that a mistype, or is there some cloned champagne or champagne substitute called "Champayne"? Is it like drinking "malk" instead of milk?

No typo on this one: That spelling of Champagne seems to be a kitchy way of avoiding lawsuit problems. A sparkling wine legally cannot be called Champagne unless it is made in the Champagne region of France. The style of "méthode champenoise" is using a secondary fermentation in the bottle (as opposed to in a bulk tank or just injecting CO2) and that technique is used throughout the world.

Yeah, I'm a wine nerd.

Good for me, as that answered a lot.
I like the real thing, champaGne, but if it's too cost prohibitive, I'd rather get the champaYne instead.

al77382 wrote:Is that REALLY a concern? ;)

YES. If these are some "oddball" chocalates that don't last as long as typical chocolates for some reason, I'd like to know about that. Unlike in the past, I don't have much in the way of formal affairs this christian holiday, so these wine filled chocolates will likely get stored on my pantry till next August, minus a box or 2 for myself.

marriage is the price men pay for sex
sex is the price women pay for marriage

gagz135

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gagz135

What is a lab rat?

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo

Received my Humbug today. I assured the UPS driver that I was not intoxicated, and the whole concept was lost on him - didn't know about the restriction. So - one less thing to worry about ...

dynersooner

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dynersooner
gagz135 wrote:What is a lab rat?

pppffftttt, What ISNT a lab rat...

Elvis Random 4 pack (lots) | Rasmussen PS (lots) | Parker Station Quartet (some) | Poizin Zinfandel Trio (few) | G Saké (few) | Helix by Reininger Quartet (some) | 2004 Highway 12 Cab Blend Trio (some) | Chateau Souverain Zinfandel Single-Vineyard Sampler Trio (lots) | FFC Reserve 2005 Pinot Noir (lots) | Mosaic White Quartet (some) | Stuart Cellars Temecula Trio (some) | Wellington Cab Collecton Trio + 1 (some) | Fife Redwood Valley Trio (lots) | Chaucer Mead (some) | Mosaic Meritage (lots)

kkv123

quality posts: 10 Private Messages kkv123
gagz135 wrote:What is a lab rat?

As per Wikipedia:

Beginning the week of October 7th, wine.woot began a new practice dubbed "Labrat". According to woot: if you make a winery purchase through Wine.Woot by 10 a.m. Central time Monday, AND you're one of the lucky ones, you will automatically receive an additional bottle or more of that week's offer overnight, in addition to your regular order. If fate bestows this wine to you, you must taste the wine and post what you think on the wine.woot forums that week. You can simply give a thumbs up or thumbs down, or create tasting notes to your hearts desire. You can say "eh, didn't like it" or "Notes of horse underbelly sweat and squid ink mingle with newly-cut clover atop the majestic Alps on an early April morning. No, wait, more like a late March morning." Whatever. "Labrats" must register for this privilege.

To register, send your request to: labrat@woot.com

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
vaaccess wrote:As for the tasting? I'll taste it after lunch and have a couple of other people sample it, too! (I'm on the East Coast.)

Onto the Tasting Notes...

I tried one right after I got back from work and I think the food I ate (burrito) was causing the wine to taste a little off and it unfortunately made it not that great.

I then gave it to two co-workers immediately after lunch...One liked it, one didn't. The one that didn't ate the same food I did and isn't as much of a red wine fan, so that probably came into play considering my experience.

A couple hours later I tried it again and the wine flavor was much better. However, I think the cab they put in there was pretty cheap stuff and I don't think it is a wine I would like drinking. Even though the chocolate flavor is great, in my opinion, I think the wine they used detracted from the experience. Overall, however, I think it works...But, I think if they would have been better off using a nicer wine and ultimately it would have created an awesome treat.

To finish, I just gave one to a co-worker who is pretty heavy into wines and he liked it a lot. I made a comment to him about the wine quality not being great and he said, "Dude, it's not about the wine. It's about the overall experience and I think it is great."

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
vaaccess wrote:Onto the Tasting Notes...

I tried one right after I got back from work and I think the food I ate (burrito) was causing the wine to taste a little off and it unfortunately made it not that great.

I then gave it to two co-workers immediately after lunch...One liked it, one didn't. The one that didn't ate the same food I did and isn't as much of a red wine fan, so that probably came into play considering my experience.

A couple hours later I tried it again and the wine flavor was much better. However, I think the cab they put in there was pretty cheap stuff and I don't think it is a wine I would like drinking. Even though the chocolate flavor is great, in my opinion, I think the wine they used detracted from the experience. Overall, however, I think it works...But, I think if they would have been better off using a nicer wine and ultimately it would have created an awesome treat.

To finish, I just gave one to a co-worker who is pretty heavy into wines and he liked it a lot. I made a comment to him about the wine quality not being great and he said, "Dude, it's not about the wine. It's about the overall experience and I think it is great."

So you're saying we should poke a hole in it and decant for an hour? So noted ;)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

eyeslikesugar

quality posts: 2 Private Messages eyeslikesugar
fittzwm wrote:http://www.rcgiftboutique.com/chfitr1.html

They've got them listed at $26 per box.

Product Description:
Introducing 12 of our wine filled gourmet chocolates.

12!? Why 9 in the picture? /confused.

-James Cho -EdgarRMcherly Shirt.Woot.Com - Ye Oldest Sucker - 2009

ashecorvin

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ashecorvin
bhodilee wrote:So you're saying we should poke a hole in it and decant for an hour? So noted ;)

Or don't eat them with burritos!

I'm really looking forward to these, though most will go as gifts! :-(

123 bottles and counting...

Bryan818

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bryan818

im gonna kick myself tomorrow if i don't purchase. they look delicious and like good gifts too.

Please check it out

balarko

quality posts: 0 Private Messages balarko

Yeah! What a sweet christmas present. Of course, I'm keeping one for myself!

Failoan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Failoan

In for 2, this makes great presents

hdavis4000

quality posts: 2 Private Messages hdavis4000

The big gold button is bouncing!!

"Wine is bottled poetry." -Robert Louis Stevenson

agentos

quality posts: 1 Private Messages agentos

My father and step-mother are big wine drinkers so this a great fit for them for x-mas. At $10 a box, they make a great gift for family members and good friends. They also seem like premium chocolates which are expensive any way you shake it. Thankfully they are not $25 a box like on a site mentioned earlier.

conroo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages conroo
Winedavid39 wrote:Um..it was a WD typo..

WD, I can't believe the hubbub over a typo!!!! Glad you came clean, though. The spelling police where getting restless.

W:too many to count
WW:too many to count
SW:too many to count
SOW:too many to count

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

bhodilee wrote:So you're saying we should poke a hole in it and decant for an hour? So noted ;)

You're my hero.

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

pengu1n

quality posts: 13 Private Messages pengu1n
superspryte wrote:You're my hero.

And you are mine for not saying "Your my hero".....

And to the other person 5 or so post above (too lazy to hit back button)...there were 9 chocolates in my labrat box, not 12.

pbandpn

quality posts: 0 Private Messages pbandpn
timbyrd wrote:On the third day of Wootmas, WineDavid offered me
Wine Truffles
a BlindWine Wine Game
and a Bonsai Juniper Tree

--- T

Sweet (keep it going)!

Patchitect

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Patchitect

Now those look tasty.. tempting.. soo tempting...

lohrswhowoot

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lohrswhowoot

Ok, so maybe I missed it somewhere in the blog, but does the recipient really need to be home to receive it (as with wine purchases)? If so, do they still have to be sober?? Either way I already bought one, and sent it to my pops, but just curious....

groupiegirlnj

quality posts: 1 Private Messages groupiegirlnj

This is my first time seeing a wine.woot sell out.

10 Woots
2 Wine Woots
1 Shirt Woots
... and counting

michelleshari

quality posts: 1 Private Messages michelleshari
groupiegirlnj wrote:This is my first time seeing a wine.woot sell out.

It's actually a pretty regular occurrence...

Check out our cellar

lolalina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lolalina

Have we gotten another clue yet?

tacky.woot (2) shirt.woot (11) wine.woot (4)

"Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus"
Now is the time to drink, now the time to dance footloose upon the earth.

dixbry

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dixbry

another clue please

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

about time for a Wine.Woot corkscrew of some type

edit: On second thought I bet they save that item for the close of the week, kind of like closing a woot off with Screaming Monkeys

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

WineWootaholic wrote:about time for a Wine.Woot corkscrew of some type

edit: On second thought I bet they save that item for the close of the week, kind of like closing a woot off with Screaming Monkeys

...a monkey-themed corkscrew where the 'arms' of the monkey are raised up & down, causing the spiral 'tail' to go into the cork. When the cork is pulled as the arms come down, the 'screaming monkey' sound is triggered.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic
Corrado wrote:...a monkey-themed corkscrew where the 'arms' of the monkey are raised up & down, causing the spiral 'tail' to go into the cork. When the cork is pulled as the arms come down, the 'screaming monkey' sound is triggered.

WD, can I preorder 3?

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

alukan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages alukan

Any clue yet?

superspryte

quality posts: 21 Private Messages superspryte

Volunteer Moderator

michelleshari wrote:It's actually a pretty regular occurrence...

But not if you're not familiar with the differences between wine.woot and classic woot. ^_~

w: 7 | t.w: 1 | h.w: 1 | tg.w: 0 | sp.w: 0 | a.w: 0 | k.w: 0 | s.w: 15 | w.w: 15 | so.w: 2

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

alukan wrote:Any clue yet?

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

lolalina

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lolalina

Will wine be delivered to Florida? I'm moving there in March and I'm hoping that I can continue my wine.woot buying.

tacky.woot (2) shirt.woot (11) wine.woot (4)

"Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus"
Now is the time to drink, now the time to dance footloose upon the earth.

yathink2

quality posts: 4 Private Messages yathink2
lolalina wrote:Will wine be delivered to Florida? I'm moving there in March and I'm hoping that I can continue my wine.woot buying.

My wallet can attest to the fact that they do deliver to Florida. Avg about 10 days for delivery right now.