subinsignia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages subinsignia

My bi-monthly Cosentino 3 pack arrive in fine shape yesterday.

Steve Jones

subinsignia

Steve's wine experiment...2005 Earth Zin and Fire. Received cooked bottle and replacement. Drank replacement with friends July 4th. More than acceptible, decent zin. Not wonderful but a good bottle. Just opened the cooked wine after it sat for 2 weeks at room temp. The cooked wine cork was deformed a bit. The wine smelled off. Vegetal and metal nose. The flavor is not describable. It is not zin flavors. It is not completely awful but it is far from as good as it was. I would say it is not poisonous. It is not good. No recollection of the wine it was. Maybe I should have opened it two weeks ago. Let's let it breathe and even decant an hour.

Steve Jones

subinsignia

subinsignia wrote:Steve's wine experiment...2005 Earth Zin and Fire. Received cooked bottle and replacement. Drank replacement with friends July 4th. More than acceptible, decent zin. Not wonderful but a good bottle. Just opened the cooked wine after it sat for 2 weeks at room temp. The cooked wine cork was deformed a bit. The wine smelled off. Vegetal and metal nose. The flavor is not describable. It is not zin flavors. It is not completely awful but it is far from as good as it was. I would say it is not poisonous. It is not good. No recollection of the wine it was. Maybe I should have opened it two weeks ago. Let's let it breathe and even decant an hour.

It is not that good. After an hour and 15 min, the wine tastes like a Syrah that has been open for a week. It is cooked and finished. Drinkable but not good.

Steve Jones

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess
mung wrote:Has anyone received Robles in East Coast? I order the wine on July 2nd, I received the UPS track number on July 3rd and today (July 12) UPS tracking page still only says "Billing info received on July 3". Reading the new summer shipping policy my understading is that at least the wine should have entered the UPS delivery system by now.
Any idea when I should expect the wine to arrive? I live in NC btw.

Thanks.

Just checked my tracking number and UPS received the Rose TODAY at 6PM! Guess what that means? Yeah...Warehouse over the weekend. Thankfully it isn't as hot now as it was earlier in the week...But...I think this is unacceptable.

WD...I realize this is new process and there are going to be hiccups, but this just isn't acceptable. Can you tell us why the wine was late getting to UPS? Based on what was described I think it was supposed to enter the UPS hub in NJ yesterday.

Unless the delivery can be more consistent and reliable, I think you should strongly consider starting the shipments a day earlier on your end so it arrives in NJ on Tuesday or Wednesday. That way we'll get our wine on the East Coast Thursday or Friday isntead of Friday or Monday...Your time table was probably a tad too aggressive because there doesn't appear to have been any wiggle room in there for "stuff" that might happen.

I guess the other alternative would be to tell this delivery company that if they can't get it to UPS in NJ by Wednesday that they need to leave the truck chilling the wine until Monday morning.

OR....Get a different delivery company.

*ponders*
So, you can tell if a wine is cooked when it has a cork because it will leak or protrude. What exactly will happen with a screw top and how can we tell if we have cooked wine? I've never had a Rose before so I don't have any real way of knowing what it should taste like.

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie

So here's what I'm thinking. I'm open to a tongue lashing if I am deemed wrong by the majority, cuz I may well be, but here goes...

No question there have been some hiccups in this process. And a public discourse helps problem-solving to a degree. But maybe those of us who know and love all that is good about wine.woot forget how many potential buyers drop by here and read the forums before they decide to buy.

We regulars know that wine.woot has excellent (or at the very least unusually good) customer service. Perhaps that is being missed by visitors who see posts that would, in fact, be more helpful if they were instead sent directly to customer service.

Again, I'm not saying we can't be honest about the occasional fly in the soup. But are we, like the complacent spouse who forgets to be thankful for the great dinner cuz s/he's too busy carping about the mess in the kitchen, publicly posting about the problems and forgetting to carefully represent the overall success of wine.woot? Just something to consider.

It's like the quote in the article about wine scores that SB posted. It only takes a minute for someone to adversely (or positively) impact someone's entire livelihood.

As an aside, I was in a very, very hot Costco recently, and the wine sitting in the crates on display was very, very hot as well. I don't know for sure, but I imagine the wine in the back storage area was as hot if not hotter. Probably had been cooking for most of the past hot, hot week. Just something to keep in mind.

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen
nallie wrote:So here's what I'm thinking. I'm open to a tongue lashing if I am deemed wrong by the majority, cuz I may well be, but here goes...

Certainly no tongue-lashing, but I do want to clarify my motivation (of course, I cannot speak for anyone other than myself). My Vina Robles, like those of Vaaccess, did not get dropped into the UPS system until yesterday (Thursday), which means they will sit in a UPS warehouse over the weekend, or, worse yet, sit in the back of a truck on the loading dock in Landover (as did my Bargettos and Armidas–and honestly, nobody should have to spend the weekend in Landover). When I finally got back to my office yesterday to inspect those shipments, I did not notice any visible signs of damage. I am hopeful that the bottles survived last weekend's appalling heat without any lasting injury, although there is no way to know for sure. For this latest shipment, I am disappointed that, on a week without the disruption of a holiday, the system still did not work. I do not say this to bluster and whine, nor will I threaten to not buy any more Woot wine (hey, a little poem!). Rather, I post these comments to inform WineDavid and the Woot staff that there are still kinks in the summer delivery system that need to be worked out. They obviously went to a fair amount of trouble cooking this system up (no pun intended), and so they need to know–and I am sure want to know–how well it works (or does not).

The fact is, I remain on the fence on the current offering, but not because of the shipping issues–I fully expect them to be worked out. My hesitation is solely because SWMBO has noted the weekly drain on our joint checking account. And yet, I am weakening . . . .

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

Looks like the Bargetto and Roseum caught up with themselves. And are both enroute from NJ. Oh boy.. big wine drop off next week. Happy dance....

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
nallie wrote:So here's what I'm thinking. I'm open to a tongue lashing if I am deemed wrong by the majority, cuz I may well be, but here goes...

No question there have been some hiccups in this process. And a public discourse helps problem-solving to a degree. But maybe those of us who know and love all that is good about wine.woot forget how many potential buyers drop by here and read the forums before they decide to buy.

We regulars know that wine.woot has excellent (or at the very least unusually good) customer service. Perhaps that is being missed by visitors who see posts that would, in fact, be more helpful if they were instead sent directly to customer service.

Again, I'm not saying we can't be honest about the occasional fly in the soup. But are we, like the complacent spouse who forgets to be thankful for the great dinner cuz s/he's too busy carping about the mess in the kitchen, publicly posting about the problems and forgetting to carefully represent the overall success of wine.woot? Just something to consider.

It's like the quote in the article about wine scores that SB posted. It only takes a minute for someone to adversely (or positively) impact someone's entire livelihood.

As an aside, I was in a very, very hot Costco recently, and the wine sitting in the crates on display was very, very hot as well. I don't know for sure, but I imagine the wine in the back storage area was as hot if not hotter. Probably had been cooking for most of the past hot, hot week. Just something to keep in mind.

i was talking to one of the wine guys at costco. Costco itself is AC"d and SHOULDN"T (doesn't mean it won't) go over a certain Temp. And at night they actually take the box of the primo wines (if your costco has it you'll see the ones , usually 100+) and store them in a temperature controlled room.

Its definitely not the best place, but its better than alot of places. I do think they need to do better for their top shelf 1st growths and Grand Cru burgundies, its just not in ideal storage conditions.

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

Perhaps rather than be posted on the CURRENT wine offering, posts regarding shipping of PAST weeks' offerings could be consolidated in an ongoing special discussion thread in "World of WIne Woot." I do see Nallie's point about potential new winewooters being turned off in reading about delivery problems as they peruse the current week's offering. We want to see wine.woot prosper, and it will inure to our benefit if they do. At the same time, a more obscure place for shipping problems to be listed does make some sense from a consumerist point of view.

<<Shipping complaints could be moved to the proposed thread if "misposted" in the current week's offering. Moreover, I see no reason for horror stories to exist in the "delivery problems thread" for more than a month--let them "time out" and disappear as each meets that time mark. By that time they're not going to be very relevant anyway.>>

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

clayfu

new customers ought to be turned away if there are shipping problems.

WHat's worse, a first time customer getting bad wine or a customer who waits until it gets cooler?

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

What happened to the ketchup packs? Are those not being used? I received both the Roseum and Bargetto today and neither had the thermal packs.

Just curious.... not kvetching. Really.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

My Roseum had ketchup packs. My Surf Zin was shipped under the old system and appears to have popped his cork. I emailed service@woot last Thursday and still haven't heard anything. Do they only write back once they have a remedy or what?

txisheaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txisheaven
aces219 wrote:My Roseum had ketchup packs. My Surf Zin was shipped under the old system and appears to have popped his cork. I emailed service@woot last Thursday and still haven't heard anything. Do they only write back once they have a remedy or what?

I'd PM WineDavid if you haven't heard from the service@woot email yet...

ajs228

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ajs228

I'm confused. Here you say you can ship to Arizona, it just takes longer. On the main page Arizona is not listed. Which is it?

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

ajs228 wrote:I'm confused. Here you say you can ship to Arizona, it just takes longer. On the main page Arizona is not listed. Which is it?

Depends on the week & winery. Some wineries can/will jump through the hassle-hoops of shipping wine to AZ, NJ, IN, MA, etc. Some don't.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219
txisheaven wrote:I'd PM WineDavid if you haven't heard from the service@woot email yet...

I got email from them today.

cactx

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cactx

Is this wine Refurbished?

clayfu

cactx wrote:Is this wine Refurbished?

yeah you should pass on it.

rvbert0

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rvbert0

I placed order Number 21637877, which included 2 orders of the Francis Copolla, but have not received any shipping updates as of today.

What is your recommendation on what to do? I've emailed Woot 3 times with no response and have posted several messages under my ordered Wine thread.

grammiedaboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grammiedaboss
rvbert0 wrote:I placed order Number 21637877, which included 2 orders of the Francis Copolla, but have not received any shipping updates as of today.

What is your recommendation on what to do? I've emailed Woot 3 times with no response and have posted several messages under my ordered Wine thread.

Did you PM Winedavid?

The end is near...drink big wine.

grammiedaboss

rvbert0 wrote:I placed order Number 21637877, which included 2 orders of the Francis Copolla, but have not received any shipping updates as of today.

Did you check a post to you on the FFC wine thread? Winedavid has a question for you.

docpw

quality posts: 0 Private Messages docpw
Winedavid39 wrote:get your order in by Wednesday a.m., the truck will leave Thursday and enter into the carrier hub the following Wednesday for Thurs/Friday delivery

WD,
While I applaud the measures you're taking to protect our wines on their long trek cross-country, this aspect of the plan doesn't appear to be working as planned. My order from Monday doesn't appear to have made it on this week's truck (or at least there's no "billing info received" or tracking number as of Thursday evening.)

It may not always be possible to get product loaded, etc. within a few days, but if it's often going to be a week or more from order to load, that should be the expectation that is set. I'd always rather be pleasantly surprised by an early arrival then frustrated by an "extra" week's delay.

Hopefully would cut down on the number of "where's my wine?" emails you're dealing with,too!

Just my two cents worth...

pagreen

docpw wrote:WD,
While I applaud the measures you're taking to protect our wines on their long trek cross-country, this aspect of the plan doesn't appear to be working as planned. My order from Monday doesn't appear to have made it on this week's truck (or at least there's no "billing info received" or tracking number as of Thursday evening.)

It may not always be possible to get product loaded, etc. within a few days, but if it's often going to be a week or more from order to load, that should be the expectation that is set. I'd always rather be pleasantly surprised by an early arrival then frustrated by an "extra" week's delay.

My issue has not been with the timeliness, but with the problem the reefer truck seems to have been having making the "drop" on Wednesday, so that the wine can be delivered by Friday. Each week, my wine has not been dropped until Thursday, so that it sat in the UPS system (perhaps even in a parked truck) over the weekend. I am heartened to not have specific shipping info, in that it implies that my wine remains in the parked--and refrigerated--reefer truck over the weekend, rather than sitting at UPS (it's getting into the mid 90s this weekend). If that means my wine will not be delivered until Wednesday, while that may be a long time to wait, at least that means it will more likely arrive in good shape. Besides, that is how this new system is supposed to work--if the wine can't be dropped by Wednesday, it should sit in under the watchful gaze of Woot's hand-selected Road Trippers for the weekend.

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

WineDavid, has there been any discussion about sending the refer truck a day earlier with a goal of getting wine delivered on a Thurday? That way, if there is slippage in the schedule (as seems to happen with greater regularity than expected) there's a buffer day? I should be getting a few shipments this Friday, delivered to almost the extreme of wine.woot's delivery range. Hopefully if the shipments do get delayed I'll at least be able to pick them up on Friday afternoon.

mheeren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mheeren

WineDavid....
Is there something wine.woot could do to let us know where our wine is in the complex summer shipping process? To have the status = shipped as soon as the label gets to UPS (happened to me on 7/31 according to UPS tracking) with no info as to if the wine is actually moving until 2 days before delivery is rough on those of us waiting. How about some additional status types: "will ship on climate-controlled truck on____(date)", "Has shipped on climate controlled truch - expected actual UPS pickup on _____(date)"

It's just so frustrating to see the same status for over a week, and only be able to hope that something is actually moving.

Thanks!

Daystar

quality posts: 4 Private Messages Daystar
mheeren wrote:WineDavid....
Is there something wine.woot could do to let us know where our wine is in the complex summer shipping process? To have the status = shipped as soon as the label gets to UPS (happened to me on 7/31 according to UPS tracking) with no info as to if the wine is actually moving until 2 days before delivery is rough on those of us waiting. How about some additional status types: "will ship on climate-controlled truck on____(date)", "Has shipped on climate controlled truch - expected actual UPS pickup on _____(date)"

It's just so frustrating to see the same status for over a week, and only be able to hope that something is actually moving.

Thanks!

samiratou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

Question: Are wine shipments that have to go, say, to most of the US being held up at the moment 'cause the entire effin' country is really, really hot? Just curious, as I have yet to receive a ship notice (to MN, usually 2 day air) for the Ty I ordered last Wednesday, and that's somewhat unusual, but would make perfect sense if wine shipments are being held until the country cools off a bit.

ontOtters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ontOtters

I ordered my wine on 7/25 and last wed. received a message (8/1) saying that the order was shipped.

I tracked the order through UPS and the order says "billing info received".

I contacted UPS and they said the order has not been picked up...

How do I go about finding out when I can expect the wine delivery as I will be a way next week ( and if by chance it gets delivered I won't be around). -- I really was hoping to see the wine before Friday.

How do I got about finding out my planned delivery and can my delivery be changed to a new address?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Hi All,

sorry to be out of pocket the last couple of days. Took a couple of days away (missed it...).

Some good ideas. will hit them harder in the a.m.

WD

grammiedaboss

Hey, WD, I think my Mandolinos are cooked. No leakage or funny corks, just terrible wine. The Nebbiolo is just water. No nose, no palate, no finish. Nothing. the Sangiovese is better, but certainly not stellar. I n=know we can't have wonderfulness every week, but the Nebbiiolo is beyond (in a negative way) what one would conside to be good wine. Is there a chance I can get the Nebbiolos replaced?

mheeren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mheeren

Wine David...
I had the wine shipped to my home, since I was off work for the summer. Should I expect the wine to be here by Friday? I go back to work next week. I didn't send the wine to a business address because I never thought that if I ordered on July 26 it might not make it here by August 10.
Given the comments about the Nebbiola possible being cooked, I really don't want it to have to spend an extra day on a delivery truck heading back to the UPS warehouse sometime next week.

My order number is 21698946.

samiratou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou

Okay, I guess I have an answer to my question. My wine was shipped, but I was sent no tracking number. And, it was sent Fedex instead of UPS, thereby foiling my clever plan to have my wine shipped to the UPS hub. However, I still might, because even when Fedex tries to deliver to my UPS hub, they call me and it's already in the facility so I can pick it up right away, whereas UPS would make me wait for a foiled delivery at home to have it held. And, since the trucks don't get back to the UPS hub until it closes, the wine gets to sit an extra day outside of climate controlled conditions.

It was much easier when WCC always shipped UPS.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

grammiedaboss wrote:Hey, WD, I think my Mandolinos are cooked. No leakage or funny corks, just terrible wine. The Nebbiolo is just water. No nose, no palate, no finish. Nothing. the Sangiovese is better, but certainly not stellar. I n=know we can't have wonderfulness every week, but the Nebbiiolo is beyond (in a negative way) what one would conside to be good wine. Is there a chance I can get the Nebbiolos replaced?

Grammie, we are in contact with Mandolino on this. They stand behind their wine and believe some have received a "bad batch" which does happen. According to the winery, the Neb. just received an 87 in Wine Enthusiest. Not saying that is empirical evidence to be sure, but it does indicate the problem may be isolated. More to come.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

*****Wine.Woot Shipping Udate *****

For those in the “Reefer Truck States” . We received notification the truck normally destined to arrive on Wednesday (Aug 8) had “a mechanical” (not the refrigerated part- wine's just fine) and did not make the delivery into the carrier hub on schedule.

Since the expected truck arrival was rescheduled for Friday, we are choosing to hold the wine (in a temperature controlled environment) over the weekend and drop into the hub system on Monday(Aug 13). This will result in delivery occurring Tuesday and Wednesday ( August 14,15). Wineries impacted: Some Mandolino, Early Ty Caton, a smattering of Coppola and both Woot off Wines: Stuart and Castoro.

Thanks for your patience on this, we are choosing protection over expediency. We hope you are ok with that. The wine is safe and will arrive in good condition. If you have any issues please contact service@woot.com.

****Midwest "2 day" states****

We are giving Fedex a shot at some packages. So don't be suprised if the truck is a different color this go around. Let us know if you see any service differential.

More info coming.

Thanks,

WineDavid39

mlhelm

quality posts: 8 Private Messages mlhelm
UBlink wrote: . . .there were 18 (!) packets of clear ketchup inserted into their own little notches in the styrofoam. . . . I don't think overheating was a problem once they got to Texas.

Hey, how come you get ketchup packets?! I thought maybe TX just wasn't in on the whole ketchup packet thing, but you got some, huh? Now I feel kinda like the last kid picked for dodgeball teams.

more than enough wine.woots!

clayfu

Why did my wine take nearly two weeks to get to me? what method is being used for california? (first order all summr)

Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

clayfu wrote:Why did my wine take nearly two weeks to get to me? what method is being used for california? (first order all summr)

Sounds like SmartPost.

I think CA didn't get anything really special (maybe the cooler pods/ketchup packs) since pretty much everything in-state from pick-up to delivery w/in a few days.

WD will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that WCC has some legal shipping limitations they need to be careful of. During woot offs, the overall volume increases such that they may have to hold shipping.

...or it's just as simple as the woot-off tripling (or quadrupling) their normal weekly volume that, just like juvie.woot during a woot-off, everything slows down going out the door.

clayfu

its hot in LA, not so hot up north but i still need those ketchup packets!

pagreen

Winedavid39 wrote:*****Wine.Woot Shipping Udate *****

Thanks for the update. I would, however, second (or third) the suggestion that the communication of shipping procedures could be better overall. As far as a broken-down reefer truck, that is one thing, but that only accounts for the last fiew days of the "hold." An automatically-generated email to the effect that "Your wine is being held in wine.woot.limbo (along with all of the un-baptized wine.babies) because it is too figgin' hot," with a follow-up when there is at last a revised target delivery date, would go a long way towards calming folks down.

And on another note, UPS package delivery drivers, long-haul drivers, dock workers, etc. are all union (Teamsters). USPS workers are unionized as well (at least four different unions). Their FedEx counterparts (with the exception of the pilots) are not. I prefer my packages shipped union.

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz
pagreen wrote:
And on another note, UPS package delivery drivers, long-haul drivers, dock workers, etc. are all union (Teamsters). USPS workers are unionized as well (at least four different unions). Their FedEx counterparts (with the exception of the pilots) are not. I prefer my packages shipped union.

And I prefer mine sent independant!! :P Teamsters took my money for years, and I know how UPS takes "care" of packages, because I used to be one of "care" handlers. I've always had better condition boxes arrive at my place via FedEx. Really though, I could care less. I'm happy waiting as long as it takes, as long as it gets here eventually.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59