Wigdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wigdog
winefarm wrote:

The proof is in the pudding, but thanks. yes, the Armida is being shipped via the summer methodology (but w/out the $2.00 summer surcharge). WD

Big time Sunshine State thanks!

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
Basil Fawlty

timbyrd

quality posts: 2 Private Messages timbyrd

My house has been a construction zone all year, and much as I hate to admit it, I haven' t even opened half the boxes from wine.woot. I just tucked them away in the coolest room in the house and prayed for the day when the contractors were finished. What's the statute of limitations on reporting shipping damage?

-- T

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu
timbyrd wrote:My house has been a construction zone all year, and much as I hate to admit it, I haven' t even opened half the boxes from wine.woot. I just tucked them away in the coolest room in the house and prayed for the day when the contractors were finished. What's the statute of limitations on reporting shipping damage?

-- T

yesterday. your SOL is up

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

timbyrd wrote:My house has been a construction zone all year, and much as I hate to admit it, I haven' t even opened half the boxes from wine.woot. I just tucked them away in the coolest room in the house and prayed for the day when the contractors were finished. What's the statute of limitations on reporting shipping damage?

-- T

SHIPPING damage (i.e. reporting to UPS) is pretty much upon arrival. I believe WD stated that there was a reasonable (6 mos to a year maybe) window where they would consider mitigation for a corked bottle, but I'm not sure they've ever published a formal policy.

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon
smartheart wrote:A sincere thank you Jason and Wine David (and your supporting casts) for all you do to make wine.woot run well.

I just write this stuff. David's the one who figures it all out, so he can have my share of your thanks.

donbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donbon
Jason Toon wrote:

I just write this stuff. David's the one who figures it all out, so he can have my share of your thanks.

And which one of you takes response from disgruntled customers?

Winedavid39

quality posts: 201 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

donbon wrote:

And which one of you takes response from disgruntled customers?

That would be me. i just pm'd you.

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

Nice to see Jason make the day trip over from Tacky Woot Land. I like the looks of the summer shipping policy (thanks WD). I've been out of the buying loop for a couple of weeks so I can't wait to try this out (even though I'm in Cali). Mmmmmm...giant Ketchup pack.

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

Wigdog

Wigdog wrote:

Big time Sunshine State thanks!

Trying to figure out the new shipping methodology to FL. Ordered the Armida, got a UPS tracking # that says shipped or billed on 6/25, 2nd day air. No update as of 6/30. Ordered the Bargetto, UPS says shipped or billed on the 26th, also no update as of today.

Should I assume that the UPS info only applies to the last leg of the journey, and the wine is actually still on the Magic Bus somewhere headed to the nearest UPS sort facility?

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
Basil Fawlty

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
Wigdog wrote:

Trying to figure out the new shipping methodology to FL. Ordered the Armida, got a UPS tracking # that says shipped or billed on 6/25, 2nd day air. No update as of 6/30. Ordered the Bargetto, UPS says shipped or billed on the 26th, also no update as of today.

Should I assume that the UPS info only applies to the last leg of the journey, and the wine is actually still on the Magic Bus somewhere headed to the nearest UPS sort facility?

correct, the ups tracking will populate on the last leg. WD

Wigdog

winefarm wrote:

correct, the ups tracking will populate on the last leg. WD

ribs. Does the Reefer company offer tracing on line?

Basil Fawlty

subinsignia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages subinsignia

I got a cooked bottle in a two pack from a wine club last week. The company is replacing it free. My problem is being home when UPS comes. This deleivery came three times then spent the weekend at the UPS terminal.

Steve Jones

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz
subinsignia wrote:I got a cooked bottle in a two pack from a wine club last week. The company is replacing it free. My problem is being home when UPS comes. This deleivery came three times then spent the weekend at the UPS terminal.

man I love having a door man. not only that but they keep the bloody lobby at about 55 degrees, lol.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

subinsignia

quality posts: 9 Private Messages subinsignia
akretz wrote:man I love having a door man. not only that but they keep the bloody lobby at about 55 degrees, lol.

We don't have doormen in this cornfield but I can breath and leave my doors unlocked for weeks on end if I like.

Steve Jones

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
Wigdog wrote:

ribs. Does the Reefer company offer tracing on line?

They do not. but if you order prior to Wednesday before noon, it will make the truck leaving every Thursday- with the truck arriving on Wednesday night of the following week into an east coast (for now) UPS hub. WD

clayfu

subinsignia wrote:I got a cooked bottle in a two pack from a wine club last week. The company is replacing it free. My problem is being home when UPS comes. This deleivery came three times then spent the weekend at the UPS terminal.

if you call UPS after their first attempt you can ask for it to be placed on willcall.
that's what i usually do, you just pick it up that night at the main UPS center, which ought to be in a 10-15 mile radius from you.

nyi000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyi000
akretz wrote:man I love having a door man. not only that but they keep the bloody lobby at about 55 degrees, lol.

Do you know what day my order will arrive in NY (Thursday / Friday)? I went in for the Bargetto (Sunday night) and the Roseum and was wondering if I can expect it to arrive next Thursday. I leave for a cruise next Friday and I was hoping it wouldn't have to sit in my lobbly for 10 days (although they keep it very cold down there, the door man does get thirsty). Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

nallie

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nallie
nyi000 wrote:

Do you know what day my order will arrive in NY (Thursday / Friday)? Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

Sorry, clueless on this one. Hopefully, WineDavid or others can help you out soon.

clayfu wrote:
if you call UPS after their first attempt you can ask for it to be placed on willcall.
that's what i usually do, you just pick it up that night at the main UPS center, which ought to be in a 10-15 mile radius from you.

Or if not, do as I now do - thanks to someone else's great idea on this site - and get a box at a Mailboxes, Etc./UPS Store/Postal Annex type of place. For what was for me less than $10/month you get a physical address (not a post office box) to which your packages are delivered and kept cool and comfy until you pick them up at your convenience. Since I'm 40 minutes (one way, in light traffic, which in SoCal means 'never') from the nearest UPS center, this was another invaluable tip I got from others on this site!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." - h.keller
"If you can do something about it, there is no need to worry. If you cannot do anything about it, there is no use in worrying." - j.white (and also Shantideva)

akretz

nyi000 wrote:

Do you know what day my order will arrive in NY (Thursday / Friday)? I went in for the Bargetto (Sunday night) and the Roseum and was wondering if I can expect it to arrive next Thursday. I leave for a cruise next Friday and I was hoping it wouldn't have to sit in my lobbly for 10 days (although they keep it very cold down there, the door man does get thirsty). Thanks for the help guys (and gals).

As I understand it, if you made your purchases at the beginning of this week, your shipment will not go out until Thrusday. After that, it is supposed to arrive at a local location next week on Wednesday and then be distributed to you from there. That means it is likely to arrive at your place at the end of next week, not this week for sure, as it hasn't even left the building yet.

Just understand that this is based off of the information I've been able to get out of WD et al in the past week or so, and that the new process has just begun for summer very very recently.

If your asking me what time you would normally expect the shipment without the new shipping times involved, I would say ordering sunday night you MIGHT be able to get it the same week, but more likely the following week.

Avg Bottle = $16.59

nyi000

quality posts: 0 Private Messages nyi000

Thanks for the information. I'm not leaving until next Friday, but if it doesn't arrive by then I'll just slip the door man a few bucks and ask him to keep his eyes out for it.

txisheaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txisheaven
nallie wrote:

Or if not, do as I now do - thanks to someone else's great idea on this site - and get a box at a Mailboxes, Etc./UPS Store/Postal Annex type of place. For what was for me less than $10/month you get a physical address (not a post office box) to which your packages are delivered and kept cool and comfy until you pick them up at your convenience. Since I'm 40 minutes (one way, in light traffic, which in SoCal means 'never') from the nearest UPS center, this was another invaluable tip I got from others on this site!

I'm going today to get a box at the UPS Store. I travel almost every week for work and having this will save me a lot of time and worry!

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren

WD,

Just trying to understand the new shipping system and I've got some questions....... well really just one question, where's my wine?
Don't misunderstand. I'm not upset. I've got more wine around the house thanks to you than I know what to do with, but I'm just interested to know what's goin on.
So, I ordered the Armida on Friday, 6/22.
On Wednesday 6/27 I got the "It has shipped" email from you.
I'm in Chicago and if I understand this correctly, am not part of the Woot Wine 18-wheeler across America plan.
However, since I got the email on 6/27 through this very moment, when I click on the UPS link it just says "Billing information received".
So, where's my wine been? Where's it now? and when will I get it?
Thanks!

EDIT: Just to prove to you that I'm not trying to bug the crap out of you.... I thought both LaVies were fine.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

dnarayanan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dnarayanan

i just got my mosaic meritages (from the wootoff) and both were pretty warm to the touch. they look okay by visual inspection, but the bottle temp is the warmest i've ever seen from woot. they came in the paper containers, with no special ketchup packet. was the meritage too long ago to hvae the good shipping?

thesis schmesis

last wootage: poizin

Epicuria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Epicuria

I'm placing this query on several fora. Where does sales tax fit into all this...?

UBlink

quality posts: 18 Private Messages UBlink

I think I forgot to mention this but I got my Armida in Dallas last Friday, originally shipped on Monday. It was packed in Styrofoam, and there were 18 (!) packets of clear ketchup inserted into their own little notches in the styrofoam. By the time it got to me they were all room temperature. The wine sat at my wife's office for several hours so I can't testify to the temp at delivery, but when I unpacked them at home they were fine. Given our historic rains over the time period, I don't think overheating was a problem once they got to Texas.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

samiratou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou
nallie wrote:

Or, you can do something totally free and find out where your nearest UPS hub is (mine happens to be across the street from where I work) and put "Hold for pickup" and their address in as your shipping address. You can follow it online or they'll call you when it gets in. Works like a charm, as long as you know for sure its UPS that's shipping it.

Epicuria

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Epicuria
Epicuria wrote:I'm placing this query on several fora. Where does sales tax fit into all this...?

Woot HQ responded in an email:
"Since it is sold from TX we do not collect sales tax in CA."

As a consumer, I'd like to believe they are right, but from a legal point of view I think they may be on shaky ground.

The wine is really NOT sold in TX, but at the winery. Here's the quote from the Wines and Vines article: Woot's partner, Wine Country Connection "selects the wines and handles fulfillment and logistics. The winery is the seller of record and records the sale, but WCC's license allows it to take possession of the wine without taking ownership of it."

Strictly speaking, it would seem that the winery should be collecting taxes in those states where it is required to do so according to the varying formulas imposed by the states on producers. Not doing so may put all the participating wineries, WCC and woot.com in some jeopardy.

But WineDavid a.k.a. David Studdert is one smart dude; I'm sure he has figured a legitimate way around this issue.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Epicuria wrote:

Woot HQ responded in an email:
"Since it is sold from TX we do not collect sales tax in CA."

As a consumer, I'd like to believe they are right, but from a legal point of view I think they may be on shaky ground.

The wine is really NOT sold in TX, but at the winery. Here's the quote from the Wines and Vines article: Woot's partner, Wine Country Connection "selects the wines and handles fulfillment and logistics. The winery is the seller of record and records the sale, but WCC's license allows it to take possession of the wine without taking ownership of it."

Strictly speaking, it would seem that the winery should be collecting taxes in those states where it is required to do so according to the varying formulas imposed by the states on producers. Not doing so may put all the participating wineries, WCC and woot.com in some jeopardy.

But WineDavid a.k.a. David Studdert is one smart dude; I'm sure he has figured a legitimate way around this issue.

You are correct, not so much the part about me being smart, but about the winery collecting the taxes where applicable then recording and forwarding to the state in question. The price of the offer INCLUDES sales tax (an underrated benefit IMHO along with the $5.00 err..$7.00 shipping ). Depending on the state, the tax money is extracted from the money received and forwarded along. If you look at the Winery invoice that accompanies the package, it states the price of the offer and a sentence saying " including sales tax where applicable".

thanks for asking and i will discuss with Woot C/S.

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

smlauren wrote:WD,

Just trying to understand the new shipping system and I've got some questions....... well really just one question, where's my wine?
Don't misunderstand. I'm not upset. I've got more wine around the house thanks to you than I know what to do with, but I'm just interested to know what's goin on.
So, I ordered the Armida on Friday, 6/22.
On Wednesday 6/27 I got the "It has shipped" email from you.
I'm in Chicago and if I understand this correctly, am not part of the Woot Wine 18-wheeler across America plan.
However, since I got the email on 6/27 through this very moment, when I click on the UPS link it just says "Billing information received".
So, where's my wine been? Where's it now? and when will I get it?
Thanks!

EDIT: Just to prove to you that I'm not trying to bug the crap out of you.... I thought both LaVies were fine.

Ok, so you placed the order on Friday which, in turn makes the next consol truck the following Thursday (June 28). this pesky WEDNESDAY holiday is mucking everything up this week so the Reefer truck will not likely drop off into the UPS system until Monday. Let 2 day transit and we are looking at probably a July 10 delivery. Maybe sooner. With the 4th of July, this is obviously an unusual set of circumstances. The wine should come to you in good working order. Thanks for you patience. And you are NOT bugging me..

smlauren

I thought Illinois wasn't on the reefer 18-wheeler program.
That's all right
I don't care
I love you man

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

pagreen

quality posts: 8 Private Messages pagreen

So, if I understand this, because of the holiday, my Arimidas and Bargettos are sitting on the cool party truck, somewhere in or near the East Coast, where the happy woot-drivers will part-tee till Monday in honor of the holiday. The wine will then hit the UPS system on Monday, and likely arrive at my DC door on Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on exactly where they hit the UPS system). If I order the Rosés by noon today, they will find a berth on tomorrow's slappy-happy truck, and will wend their way accross the country until the following Wednesday, when they will be placed in the careful hands and brown trucks of those righteous Teamsters, with a likely Thursday or Friday delivery. Did I pass? Or will the holiday interfere with tomorrow's departure?

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi

So, my Armida's were shipped on 6/21, according to my email from woot. I just checked the UPS tracking since I was curious as to where my wine was (on the magical mystery wine tour). The shipment was scanned in at NY. I am in Chicago. It really is a tour.

Yes I sent an email to service. I'm not complaining, really I'm not....

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

iByron

quality posts: 40 Private Messages iByron

My Bargetto was ordered on 6/25 and I received tracking on 6/27. The shipment was received in Elmsford, NY earlier this evening and arrived in Maspeth about half an hour ago. That means it will be delivered to Elmont tomorrow.

Order on Monday, billed on Wednesday, shipped on Thursday, received by UPS in NY the following Thursday, and (most likely) delivered that next Friday.

Or to put it more succinctly, a week and a day from shipment to delivery in NY.

iByron

iByron's iCellar (I'm a reciprocal CT Cellar Buddy)

Your Private WIneaux

pagreen

Yes, I too see that my two shipments of wine were dropped off at UPS yesterday (Thursday). That means they will likely move down the coast today, and sit in a UPS warehouse over the weekend for a (projected) Monday delivery. I thought the whole "sit in a UPS warehouse over the weekend" thing was what the new Summer shiping regime was supposed to avoid, particularly since the forcast is for highs in the 90s each day from today (Friday) well into next week. No?

smlauren

pagreen wrote:Yes, I too see that my two shipments of wine were dropped off at UPS yesterday (Thursday). That means they will likely move down the coast today, and sit in a UPS warehouse over the weekend for a (projected) Monday delivery. I thought the whole "sit in a UPS warehouse over the weekend" thing was what the new Summer shiping regime was supposed to avoid, particularly since the forcast is for highs in the 90s each day from today (Friday) well into next week. No?

Same deal here. My Armida ordered on 6/22 arrived at the UPS depot in New Jersey last night.
I live in Chicago.
Delivery is scheduled for Monday. It makes me ill to think of the hot buildings and trucks my wine is going to be in between last night and when it arrives at my house on Monday.
I fail to see how this is better than the old system.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

akretz

Although it's of little comfort, I'm sure they are going to ask you to remember that there was the 4th when they didn't work, and normally this would be there before the weekend. None the less I'm sure this is of little comfort, as it still jacks up the purpose for this order.

Avg Bottle = $16.59

pagreen

akretz wrote:Although it's of little comfort, I'm sure they are going to ask you to remember that there was the 4th when they didn't work, and normally this would be there before the weekend. None the less I'm sure this is of little comfort, as it still jacks up the purpose for this order.

I understand, but the plan had been (I thought) for the wine to sit out the weekend in the refrigerated truck so that it would spend no more than two days in the UPS system.

lauratchi

quality posts: 5 Private Messages lauratchi
akretz wrote:Although it's of little comfort, I'm sure they are going to ask you to remember that there was the 4th when they didn't work, and normally this would be there before the weekend. None the less I'm sure this is of little comfort, as it still jacks up the purpose for this order.

The holiday I understand. I am a bit fuzzier on the Chicago wine going to NY/NJ first.

Little Vineyards Trio began the slow start to the slippery slope. it was alllllllllll downhill from there!

txisheaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txisheaven

I ordered the rose Monday morning around 1:30amEST and UPS only shows that billing information has been received. Even with the holiday, I'm guessing I'll still get my wine within the same time frame as I did with $5 shipping. When I lived in Va it took abt a week and a half.

Are we paying extra to keep it ribs rather than expedite shipping?

clayfu

pagreen wrote:

I understand, but the plan had been (I thought) for the wine to sit out the weekend in the refrigerated truck so that it would spend no more than two days in the UPS system.

gotta be expensive to run a truck cold over the weekend.