Jason Toon

quality posts: 19 Private Messages Jason Toon

Here’s something that won’t surprise you: we think wine.woot’s vineyard-to-carrier-to-you approach is the best wine-delivery methodology in the industry today. In terms of both economics and the treatment of wine, it’s certainly preferable to piling the kids into the le Baron for a trip to the liquor store. You don’t know where that stuff’s been.

But now it’s summertime, and we’ve been getting a lot of understandable inquiries into how exactly we’re going to keep your wine from boiling in the truck before it gets to you. First, by charging you an extra two bucks for shipping beginning next week and running through mid-September. What special treatment will your wine get for your $7? Depends on where you live, like so:

For residents of eastern states (specifically FL, SC, NC, VA, WV, OH, MI, CT, VT, NH, NY), we’ve implemented a process that consolidates all the wine orders onto a refrigerated truck, shoving off once a week. This rolling icebox will pass the orders off to a small-parcel carrier near you. Another day or two after that, your wine will be in your hand, wine rack, or belly.

We’ll be keeping an eye on the weather in central U.S. states (that’d be NM, TX, ND, LA, MO, IA, MN, WI, IL, NE, CO, WY), and shipping via 2-day air upgraded service if we’re worried about the heat. And we won’t send anything out to these states on Thursdays or Fridays, so it won’t be sitting on a truck or plane over the weekend.

Since the majority of our wine comes from the West Coast, orders to those states (CA, WA, OR, ID, NV) don’t need quite as much attention. But we’ll still avoid shipping on Thursdays and Fridays.

If you live in one of those pesky non-reciprocal states like MA, NJ, IN, AZ (when available), you’ll be glad to know that your wine stays in a temperature-controlled environment until the very last step of the “tediously long” delivery process. Your wine should have no exposure problems.

And, of course, a disturbingly large number of states still don’t allow incoming wine shipments (AL, KY, MS, AR, SD, MT ,UT, GA, PA, MD, DE, ME, KS, TN, RI). If you live in one of these states, why are you even reading this? You’re only torturing yourself. Call the legislative killjoys in your state capital and/or hook up with freethegrapes.org, the grape gripe group.

One more thing: do not be alarmed if you find a thing that looks like a overgrown ketchup packet in your order. It’s a super-scientific freezer-gel pod that we threw in there to reduce the ambient temperature in the package. It won’t be frozen by the time it reaches you, but it will have performed its duty honorably. Freeze and re-use if you’re one of those people who lived through the depression and never throw away your Ziploc bags or your twist-ties. We wouldn’t put it in our iced tea if we were you, though.

Obviously, nobody likes paying more, but we think an extra two bucks is a small price to pay to ensure a summer of spoilage-free wine fun. Now let’s drink again, like we did last summer!

Winedavid39

quality posts: 180 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Here you go DonBon. I feel very good about this approach. hope you all do as well.

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz

Wish I had 2 day air here, no love for the east coast So what day does this weekly truck head out on it's cross country refrigerated voyage?

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

akretz wrote:Wish I had 2 day air here, no love for the east coast So what day does this weekly truck head out on it's cross country refrigerated voyage?

get your order in by Wednesday a.m., the truck will leave Thursday and enter into the carrier hub the following Wednesday for Thurs/Friday delivery

txisheaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txisheaven

Yay!!! Excellent news...glad I don't have to give up wine.woot in Texas for the summer.

smlauren

quality posts: 0 Private Messages smlauren
Jason Toon wrote:

I've got some questions....
1) Can I get the job driving the truck?
2) Assuming the answer to #1 is no..... When you hand off the wine to UPS for a ground shipment, do you know the exact day it will be delivered?
3) Assuming the answer to #2 is yes.... What does the predicted high temperature on any one of the days that the shipment is in transit between the west coast and the final destination have to be for you to be "worried about the heat"?

Thanks for making an effort to alleviate this problem. $2 bucks extra for shipping would be more than reasonable to get 2nd day air. I'm just a little gun shy and in the donbon camp since all 3 of my Firestone bottles showed up leaking.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53
Avg. cost per bottle $19.43

UBlink

quality posts: 16 Private Messages UBlink
Jason Toon wrote:

I know why AK and HI are excluded, but when did OK get kicked out? Do I need a passport to Muskogee?

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

Lighter

quality posts: 10 Private Messages Lighter
akretz wrote:Wish I had 2 day air here, no love for the east coast So what day does this weekly truck head out on it's cross country refrigerated voyage?

I've been grumping and moaning for a bit. The net effect is that I'm paying 2 bucks more for delivery which may be slower into Western New York which has summer temps like Texas winter temps.

Then, I thought about it. Two bucks isn't much at all. And, it did get into the eighties for a day last week. Then I thought a bit more. Western NY is where my wine ends the trip. Who knows how long it sits somewhere nice and warm on the way.

All and all, it seems like Woot has worked out a new way of shipping for just a couple more bucks. Much better than that new FedX/USPS method they are using on tacky woot where your/my purchases sit in Wisconsin for a week in the midst of the shipping!

akretz

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akretz
Lighter wrote:I've been grumping and moaning for a bit. The net effect is that I'm paying 2 bucks more for delivery which may be slower into Western New York which has summer temps like Texas winter temps.

Then, I thought about it. Two bucks isn't much at all. And, it did get into the eighties for a day last week. Then I thought a bit more. Western NY is where my wine ends the trip. Who knows how long it sits somewhere nice and warm on the way.

All and all, it seems like Woot has worked out a new way of shipping for just a couple more bucks. Much better than that new FedX/USPS method they are using on tacky woot where your/my purchases sit in Wisconsin for a week in the midst of the shipping!

oh I agree, the 2 bucks doesn't make me blink, I know it goes to help those with the 2day air costs. wouldn't bother me even if I was in CA. I'm just greedy, I want faster AND cooler, but I'll be perfectly thrilled either way, as long as I get the wine in the best possible condition.

76 Bottles -- 3 tacky woot -- 2 seachimps -- CHEESE!!!!!

Avg Bottle = $16.59

Lighter

Lighter wrote:Much better than that new FedX/USPS method they are using on tacky woot where your/my purchases sit in Wisconsin for a week in the midst of the shipping!

I just took a look and it's taken seven days for my shirt to move from CARROLLTON, TX to DALLAS, TX. Good old FEDEX SMARTPOST!

grammiedaboss

quality posts: 0 Private Messages grammiedaboss

Thanks for putting the effort into our shipments. I especially like the chill bag idea. Even here in paradise (WA) our boxes get warm on the truck. I got a toner cartridge delivered by Office Depot yesterday. It was packed in stryofoam, inside a box, then inside another box. The cartridge itself was warm when I opened it. And it was only 73 degrees here. The temp in a truck goes up dramatically. Never leave your dog, wine or kids in a car without ac!

The end is near...drink big wine.

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic

Fantastic!!!!!!!!
all that for only $2.00 extra...Great
and.....for those of you that are complaining about how this might delay shipping...it's easy, just be sure to order weekly, plus the 2 to 3 monthly woot-off wines, and after a while, you just will be surprised at a box showing up, and not knowing which one it is.

Now ....what can we get on E-bay for those frozen packets

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

WineWootaholic

quality posts: 1 Private Messages WineWootaholic
Lighter wrote:

I just took a look and it's taken seven days for my shirt to move from CARROLLTON, TX to DALLAS, TX. Good old FEDEX SMARTPOST!

ah, but is packed in ice?

A man not old, but mellow, like good wine,
Stephen Phillips (1845-1915)

"I love cooking with wine, Sometimes I even put it in the food."

33 wine.woot's, 9 woot-off wines

clayfu

quality posts: 10 Private Messages clayfu

for us california people, do we still just pay 5$?

UBlink

quality posts: 16 Private Messages UBlink
clayfu wrote:for us california people, do we still just pay 5$?

winer

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
Lighter wrote:

At least you got yours. I just finally got info on my tracking number from last week, and it just left yesterday and due to arrive in ... seven days.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

clayfu

=P, trying to get a deal here aight? haha
but i think that overgrown ketchup packet will be worth the 2 dollars, kinda curious what they are and if they are re-useable =)

jhammond

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jhammond
grammiedaboss wrote:Thanks for putting the effort into our shipments. I especially like the chill bag idea. Even here in paradise (WA) our boxes get warm on the truck. I got a toner cartridge delivered by Office Depot yesterday. It was packed in stryofoam, inside a box, then inside another box. The cartridge itself was warm when I opened it. And it was only 73 degrees here. The temp in a truck goes up dramatically. Never leave your dog, wine or kids in a car without ac!

Weird, because I got a box of wine yesterday, and it wasn't more than (low) room temperature. But it will get warmer here, soon.

polarbear22

I recently got a Woot shipment and my GOS shipment. I was glad that they came with the weather more moderate, so no signs of damage.

I definitely will order with more confidence with the new Woot shipping policy.

Cheers. Here's to you Woot staff.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

Lighter

polarbear22 wrote:
At least you got yours. I just finally got info on my tracking number from last week, and it just left yesterday and due to arrive in ... seven days.

No I haven't. It's in Texas and I'm in New York. Seven days to cross the town dividing line means that it'll be here sometime in 2057.

Walstib

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Walstib
Jason Toon wrote:For residents of eastern states (specifically FL, SC, NC, VA, WV, OH, MI, CT, VT, NH, NY)...

Um, forget DC? Or am I shut off for the summer? Probably the former, not that I don't deserve it.

polarbear22

Lighter wrote:No I haven't. It's in Texas and I'm in New York. Seven days to cross the town dividing line means that it'll be here sometime in 2057.

Sorry about that. I thought it mean you were in Dallas. Man, how long will mine take as it just left??!!

My Cellar

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Walstib wrote:

Um, forget DC? Or am I shut off for the summer? Probably the former, not that I don't deserve it.

yes, inadertantly omitted. DC will go that route.

txisheaven

quality posts: 0 Private Messages txisheaven
polarbear22 wrote:
Sorry about that. I thought it mean you were in Dallas. Man, how long will mine take as it just left??!!

I don't even have a tracking number yet for my shirts...

polarbear22

txisheaven wrote:

I don't even have a tracking number yet for my shirts...

Likely they are coming in by size or something. They did say it would be a few weeks to make the shirts.

Well, good luck. Are they going to have to start to forward things to TX for you soon?

My Cellar

deaconbluez

quality posts: 1 Private Messages deaconbluez
Winedavid39 wrote:Here you go DonBon. I feel very good about this approach. hope you all do as well.

Thanks, WD. This will make buying decisions much easier (but should I really be thanking you for that? Here I am back on the road to drunken poverty!)

"I prefer a thief to a Congressman. A thief will take your money and be on his way, but a Congressman will stand there and bore you with the reasons why he took it." -Dr. Williams

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

deaconbluez wrote:

Thanks, WD. This will make buying decisions much easier (but should I really be thanking you for that? Here I am back on the road to drunken poverty!)

hehe.. Happy to oblige.

ringobob

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ringobob

Haven't wooted a wine yet, but I'm about to run out of time since I'm going to be moving back to GA at the beginning of fall, so glad to see that the heat issues are on your mind. I'm sure I'll take part at least once during this summer.

donbon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages donbon
Winedavid39 wrote:Here you go DonBon. I feel very good about this approach. hope you all do as well.

Looks good to me, just wish had been posted sooner. And now in for one.... And my faith in wine woot has been restored - mostly. still waiting to see if the replacement mosaic gets cooked.

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
donbon wrote:

Looks good to me, just wish had been posted sooner. And now in for one.... And my faith in wine woot has been restored - mostly. still waiting to see if the replacement mosaic gets cooked.

Fair enough. WD

akrogh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages akrogh

While Congress is out for the summer and the booze orders drop, what about the rest of us in DC? Didn't see us listed in the new shipping system.

akrogh

smlauren

WD,

I asked some questions early on in this thread that didn't get answered, so I'll ask again.
It boils down to, (no pun intended), what is your decision process on deciding to use 2nd day air?
Theoretically you would have to take into account.......
1) What day is this shipment going to be delivered if I hand it off to UPS right now for ground shipping?
2) What is the temperature here and everywhere in between here and the destination between now and when it will arrive?
3) What is your threshold temperature at which you decide you are "worried about the heat"?

In regards to question #1..... If you don't know the exact delivery date when you give the shipment to UPS, how can you make the decision on 2nd day air? Unless of course, you always assume the worst, let's say 6 business days. Because if they tell you 4 days and it ends up being 6 and the first 4 days it was supposed to be 70 degrees and the last two it went up to 95, that's a problem.

In regards to question #2..... I'm in Chicago, so you check weather.com and it says the next 4 days in Chicago are going to be 72 degrees and mild, but from Sonoma to Iowa it's going to be 100 degrees.

In regards to question #3..... Wherever and whenever you are checking the weather for, what temperature makes you go to 2nd day air.... 80, 85, 90, 95?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I know you are trying to make things better. I just want to understand how this is going to work before I click the big yellow, I Want One! button.
Thx

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

samiratou

quality posts: 1 Private Messages samiratou
donbon wrote:

Even though WD said this was starting next week, my Armidas were shipped UPS 2-day to MN (without the extra $2). That was a very pleasant surprise!

Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

smlauren wrote:WD,

I asked some questions early on in this thread that didn't get answered, so I'll ask again.
It boils down to, (no pun intended), what is your decision process on deciding to use 2nd day air?
Theoretically you would have to take into account.......
1) What day is this shipment going to be delivered if I hand it off to UPS right now for ground shipping?
2) What is the temperature here and everywhere in between here and the destination between now and when it will arrive?
3) What is your threshold temperature at which you decide you are "worried about the heat"?

In regards to question #1..... If you don't know the exact delivery date when you give the shipment to UPS, how can you make the decision on 2nd day air? Unless of course, you always assume the worst, let's say 6 business days. Because if they tell you 4 days and it ends up being 6 and the first 4 days it was supposed to be 70 degrees and the last two it went up to 95, that's a problem.

In regards to question #2..... I'm in Chicago, so you check weather.com and it says the next 4 days in Chicago are going to be 72 degrees and mild, but from Sonoma to Iowa it's going to be 100 degrees.

In regards to question #3..... Wherever and whenever you are checking the weather for, what temperature makes you go to 2nd day air.... 80, 85, 90, 95?

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this. I know you are trying to make things better. I just want to understand how this is going to work before I click the big yellow, I Want One! button.
Thx

The core factor in our approach is to make sure the small parcel carrier is in possession of the wine for no more than two days. Our experience last year was even in the most severe weather conditions (remember the de Lorimier sale in July when the whole country was in the hundreds) 2 day transit was succussful. Consistent movement is also a positive factor in keeping box temperatures low. We will be including more frozen ketchup pod's if we foresee extreme temperatures.

i hope this generally answers your questions.

clayfu

also doesn't hurt its freezing cold in the airplane cargo bay...

smlauren

Winedavid39 wrote:

The core factor in our approach is to make sure the small parcel carrier is in possession of the wine for no more than two days. Our experience last year was even in the most severe weather conditions (remember the de Lorimier sale in July when the whole country was in the hundreds) 2 day transit was succussful. Consistent movement is also a positive factor in keeping box temperatures low. We will be including more frozen ketchup pod's if we foresee extreme temperatures.

i hope this generally answers your questions.

I'm not even sure if you answered my questions, but just the fact that you acknowleged me............ I'm in for one.

439 Bottles
$8,531.53

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

Been out of the loop for the week, but this is great news!

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

smartheart

quality posts: 94 Private Messages smartheart

A sincere thank you Jason and Wine David (and your supporting casts) for all you do to make wine.woot run well.

"Three be the things I shall never attain: Envy, content, and sufficient champagne."
--D. Parker

Wigdog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Wigdog
Winedavid39 wrote:

get your order in by Wednesday a.m., the truck will leave Thursday and enter into the carrier hub the following Wednesday for Thurs/Friday delivery

WD-thanks so much for this improvement. Is it too late to get the Armida shipped this way? I wooted earlier this week...

"I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret."
Basil Fawlty

150 offerings, 317 woots, 1081 Bottles. Yikes!

CellarTracker!

winefarm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages winefarm
Wigdog wrote:

WD-thanks so much for this improvement. Is it too late to get the Armida shipped this way? I wooted earlier this week...

The proof is in the pudding, but thanks. yes, the Armida is being shipped via the summer methodology (but w/out the $2.00 summer surcharge). WD