joelsisk

quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
kylemittskus wrote:Can people stop making stupid ass comparisons that are neither implied nor stated?

Since this was in direct response to my post, I will take it as a response to me, even if the rest of the post was not directed to me.

I will quote the part of edlada's post that caused me to comment (which I seldom do): " If the offensive act involves coercion, physical molestation or force and/or is absolutely unavoidable by those finding offense, then restrictions are probably necessary. "

I have seen remarkably similar descriptions of circumcision by "intactivists".

I am not making any comparisons to anything else. Nor do I overly care about the original discussion about "offense/ive".

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
edlada wrote:If that is the final story, then I believe the homeowner should be charged with murder, and there appears to be enough premeditation to charge him with 1st degree murder.

I agree, that is a description of premeditated murder.

edlada wrote:If an offensive act is merely offensive because of some moral/religious conviction but others are free to ignore it if they choose then I will probably find restrictions unreasonable. If the offensive act involves coercion, physical molestation or force and/or is absolutely unavoidable by those finding offense, then restrictions are probably necessary. Or words to that effect.

Ok, so what about simulated child calimari (comics, adults that look young, CGI, etc.)?

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
joelsisk wrote:Since this was in direct response to my post, I will take it as a response to me, even if the rest of the post was not directed to me.

I will quote the part of edlada's post that caused me to comment (which I seldom do): " If the offensive act involves coercion, physical molestation or force and/or is absolutely unavoidable by those finding offense, then restrictions are probably necessary. "

I have seen remarkably similar descriptions of circumcision by "intactivists".

I am not making any comparisons to anything else. Nor do I overly care about the original discussion about "offense/ive".

That is why I chose words like "probably" and the phrase "words to that effect". I am not a lawyer and I never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. There are many gray areas and plenty of lawyers and courts do discuss the semantics and finer points of these issues.

My dogs like me, that is important.

edlada

mother wrote:Ok, so what about simulated child calimari (comics, adults that look young, CGI, etc.)?

Part of my job in mental health while I was in the Army involved working with the Army Family Advocacy Program. I am well aware of, and more sensitive than many people, to issues involving any kind of exploitation and abuse of children. Unfortunately, if we are to maintain our freedoms we must tolerate certain kinds of expression and banning cartoons or simulations, etc. to me is very close to inviting the thought police to control our actions. These are my personal opinions, as I stated in a prior post, these are issues that the courts need to decide.

edlada

ERMD wrote:Oh that right... You are not offended. What an ass hat, grow up little one.
Oh and narcissism is treatable

I am sorry that you felt a need to come to this forum with the apparent intention of stirring up trouble. This forum was started by you as a place where we could discuss, in an adult, rational manner, issues that people have strong feelings about. For a long time people here managed to do just that without resorting to trolling and name calling. MDS asked a while back where RPM was. I think the reason RPM and others stopped posting here is the level of discussion here is slowly sliding into the same morass full of illogic, unintelligent comments and general ugly mayhem that you can find all over the internet. That is truly a shame.

I worked as an EMT in a trauma center, I am well aware of the tremendous stress levels in your job and the ugliness and horrors you see on a daily basis. Perhaps there are more appropriate ways to vent your frustrations than abusing people here.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
edlada wrote:I am sorry that you felt a need to come to this forum with the apparent intention of stirring up trouble. This forum was started by you as a place where we could discuss, in an adult, rational manner, issues that people have strong feelings about. For a long time people here managed to do just that without resorting to trolling and name calling. MDS asked a while back where RPM was. I think the reason RPM and others stopped posting here is the level of discussion here is slowly sliding into the same morass full of illogic, unintelligent comments and general ugly mayhem that you can find all over the internet. That is truly a shame.

I worked as an EMT in a trauma center, I am well aware of the tremendous stress levels in your job and the ugliness and horrors you see on a daily basis. Perhaps there are more appropriate ways to vent your frustrations than abusing people here.

Nope. RPM & PetiteSirah gave up due to the incredible blinders here. And you were one of the ones contributing. If you remember, PS actually called you a troll.

And actually, ERMD was pointing out the hypocrisy of kylemittskus, who stated he wasn't offended by anything, yet proved that wasn't true.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

edlada

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nope. RPM & PetiteSirah gave up due to the incredible blinders here. And you were one of the ones contributing. If you remember, PS actually called you a troll.

And actually, ERMD was pointing out the hypocrisy of kylemittskus, who stated he wasn't offended by anything, yet proved that wasn't true.

Yes, yes, it's true, I am so blind! But I have progressive lenses on my glasses so it's getting better. As for PS calling me a troll, I forgot about that. Thanks for taking the time to find that, it was fun to look back. Well, everybody is entitiled to their opinions and I have been called worse.

I understand what ERMD was doing but I think there was no need to engage in the name calling and sarcasm and it appeared to me he was looking for a fight from the start. We are usually civil here in spite of very differnt opinions, unlike many forums on the web. I hope we can keep it that way,

edlada

Mark,

I found myself with a little time on my hands so I read through the page and others that you linked to. PS called me a troll and yet here are some responses from some long time well respected posters here:

Ed has been called a troll several times in the short time I've been here, but I've never seen him post anything trollish. I don't get it.

Chemvictim

Just for the record the definition of a troll is not 'someone with whom you disagree'.

Nallie

I personally, am quite fond of your posts. There is a PONY BUTT LOAD of preaching to the choir in here. It's nice to read another viewpoint, even if I don't always agree with what is said (though sometimes I do).

Bowtie

Agreed on the personal insults front - those just aren't needed to make a point.

Klezman

Just as kindness =/= weakness or (necessarily) taxes, trolls =/= long standing members of a community who post for many more reasons than to agitate and annoy. In fact, by many definitions I am more troll than my friend Ed. Just sayin'.

Nallie

I couldn't find anybody that agreed with PS's assessment of my behavior yet as you can see there were many posts in support of me. I know PS and RPM are your heros in matters of politics and wine. RPM rarely agrees with me yet he never insults me in an obvious fashion and I am pretty sure he and I could sit down and enjoy an old Bordeaux or Cali Cab together and have a nice time. Since thankfully, PS rarely posts here, you are the only one here that seems to have a problem with me. Frankly, I wouldn't care to have a glass of water with you or PS but I think we can all live with that.

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Hi guys. Friendly mod stepping in. We are pretty much hands off in this thread but there are some rules that apply site-wide regardless of the thread.

Specifically, no name calling or personal attacks. I've deleted a couple posts but left some responses that seemed like civil responses.

Please feel free to tattle when someone is out of line and a moderator will step in to help out. We want this to be a place where EVERYONE feels comfortable.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ThunderThighs wrote:Hi guys. Friendly mod stepping in. We are pretty much hands off in this thread but there are some rules that apply site-wide regardless of the thread.

Specifically, no name calling or personal attacks. I've deleted a couple posts but left some responses that seemed like civil responses.

Please feel free to tattle when someone is out of line and a moderator will step in to help out. We want this to be a place where EVERYONE feels comfortable.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

No name calling? Well fine, you're a very pretty lady and that scarf is quite fetching on you! That's name calling!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:No name calling? Well fine, you're a very pretty lady and that scarf is quite fetching on you! That's name calling!

brat.

//oops

Actually, I believe that's more descriptive text than name calling.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark

For those who still think Gov't controlling Healthcare is good:

The Bureaucrat Sitting on Your Doctor's Shoulder

The story behind the VA scandal

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

It can be frustrating when people don't agree with you or seemingly refuse to take your point. I don't blame RPM or PS for leaving if they felt like it. However, wouldn't it be so boring if we agreed all the time?

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:For those who still think Gov't controlling Healthcare is good:

The story behind the VA scandal

Solutions to the "problem" of the government being the HMO to veterans:
1) Don't provide veterans with free or subsidized health care - not going to fly, politically untenable to "abandon" vets
2) Turn the system into a PPO allowing vets to find their own doctors. - more difficult to control costs, cost to tax payer go up.
3) Turn the system into credit toward private healthcare - won't likely cover full cost of good care which will lead to the abandonment argument.

I'm kinda a fan of option 3 but none of the options including the current one are great.

As far as a bureaucrat on the doc's shoulder.... Private docs have insurance companies on their shoulders and malpractice lawyers too. Rock and a hard place

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

joelsisk

chemvictim wrote:It can be frustrating when people don't agree with you or seemingly refuse to take your point. I don't blame RPM or PS for leaving if they felt like it. However, wouldn't it be so boring if we agreed all the time?

I believe that's called "association bias".

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:Solutions to the "problem" of the government being the HMO to veterans:
1) Don't provide veterans with free or subsidized health care - not going to fly, politically untenable to "abandon" vets
2) Turn the system into a PPO allowing vets to find their own doctors. - more difficult to control costs, cost to tax payer go up.
3) Turn the system into credit toward private healthcare - won't likely cover full cost of good care which will lead to the abandonment argument.

I'm kinda a fan of option 3 but none of the options including the current one are great.

As far as a bureaucrat on the doc's shoulder.... Private docs have insurance companies on their shoulders and malpractice lawyers too. Rock and a hard place

Probably a combination of Gov't HMO, 2, & 3. Provide care, but allow credits when too busy or further care is needed.

This is not the first time VA has had problems providing care for our Vets. There have been issues before, over many years.

My uncle, who was a WW2 POW, needed both of his hearing aids replaced due to a fall, yet the VA was digging their heels in.

Part of the solution is that we should force our congresspeople to go to VA for health care, instead of having their own, separate health care. I think we'd see a vast improvement.

And as was stated in the blog, you can sue the Insurance Companies, but you can't sue the government. Big difference there.

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Nope. RPM & PetiteSirah gave up due to the incredible blinders here. And you were one of the ones contributing. If you remember, PS actually called you a troll.

This is what ERMD responded to;
" For example, nothing offends me. I find things distasteful, in poor form, etc. but I see no reason to get offended at others' opinions or expressions thereof. "

He is not offended by "opinions or expressions thereof".

It's clear to me that Kyle was referring to not being offended by anything that would fall into the category of "free speech" which was the topic at hand. Bringing child calimari into the discussion was inflammatory and unnecessary.

bhodilee

Just contributed to my first Kickstarter campaign. They're already WAY above their goal so should be getting my product without any hassle. Yay Anova!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

joelsisk

bhodilee wrote:Just contributed to my first Kickstarter campaign. They're already WAY above their goal so should be getting my product without any hassle. Yay Anova!

or they "take the money and run".

But seriously, kind of neat gizmo. Bet their real business model is making/selling the "sealed plastic bag" that you can only use once, but that can withstand immersion in 200 degree water.

ETA: why didn't you post this in the Pub? I totally thought it was the Pub when I responded...

edlada

MarkDaSpark wrote:Probably a combination of Gov't HMO, 2, & 3. Provide care, but allow credits when too busy or further care is needed.

This is not the first time VA has had problems providing care for our Vets. There have been issues before, over many years.

My uncle, who was a WW2 POW, needed both of his hearing aids replaced due to a fall, yet the VA was digging their heels in.

Part of the solution is that we should force our congresspeople to go to VA for health care, instead of having their own, separate health care. I think we'd see a vast improvement.

And as was stated in the blog, you can sue the Insurance Companies, but you can't sue the government. Big difference there.

Amazingly I agree with much of what you are saying! I receive 80% disability compensation from the VA for service connected disabilities and I can assure you the system is definitely broken and has been for some time. Living overseas and having other health insurance, I can avoid some of the problems vets in the US encounter in receiving treatment in US VA Medical Centers. I can tell you before I left the US I spent the day and night from hell in the ER at the San Antonio VAMC, from being forgotten, waiting hours for the wrong medical tests and many other problems, which culminated with the pharmacy tech telling me at 3 a.m. that they wouldn't fill my much needed prescription because they were too busy with other matters. At that point the director of the pharmacy was woken up with a phone call and I got my meds and went home. I am sure many vets have similar stories.

I would happily return every cent of compensation paid to me over the years to have my health back but that won't happen. I spent 8 years in the Army and I would do it all over again and I didn't want to leave but I was medically discharged. The Army broke me, the VA promised to take care of me and they do to a point but there are many frustrations. Last summer, I had a my right knee replaced and I filed for an increase in compensation because of the change. It took the VA one year from the time I sent all of the required paperwork to them to notify me of an appointment for a doctor to examine me so they can then make a routine determination to increase my compensation. If my experience with my left knee a couple of years ago is any indicator it will take one more year for the VA to review the simple exam result (It isn't difficult to notice a total knee prosthesis) and make a final determination. Two years for a very simple cut and dried, virtually automatic claim. The vets returning from Afghanistan with complex multiple problems are being treated in a similar fashion. It is absolutely unacceptable to treat veterans this way.

I am often uncomfortable and embarrassed when people say thank you for my service. I would like to say if they truly wanted to thank vets, get involved in something meaningful like letting the government know how vets are being abused and mistreated. Instead I just mumble you're welcome or something because it is just to frustrating to discuss the situation.

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:or they "take the money and run".

But seriously, kind of neat gizmo. Bet their real business model is making/selling the "sealed plastic bag" that you can only use once, but that can withstand immersion in 200 degree water.

ETA: why didn't you post this in the Pub? I totally thought it was the Pub when I responded...

Um, I thought it was the pub...

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
MarkDaSpark wrote:For those who still think Gov't controlling Healthcare is good:

Not talking about the VA thing here...but in the WSJ article just replace "government" and "medicaid" with "insurance company" and it's the exact same thing.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:Not talking about the VA thing here...but in the WSJ article just replace "government" and "medicaid" with "insurance company" and it's the exact same thing.

Except you can SUE the insurance company, but you can't sue the Gov't. So no, it's not the same at all.

MarkDaSpark

edlada wrote:Slip and fall in a post office? Injured in a traffic accident involving an FBI agent? Medical malpractice by a Veterans Administration doctor? These are only a few examples of the potential negligence claims against the federal government. If you have a claim against the feds, often your only option is to sue the federal government under the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA). Actually you can in some cases.

Potential is the key word there. Potential. Lawyer speak for you probably don't have a case, but maybe we can get money for you and take half of what you get.

Did you bother reading the 2nd paragraph in the linked article?

"Unfortunately, suing the federal government under the FTCA is trickier than suing a private citizen -- you will have to jump through a number of hoops, and the lawsuits are subject to a lengthy and sometimes confusing list of limitations."

It has to be for negligence (careless or wrongful conduct), which means that they acted in a manner that will foreseeably injure those around us. It also has to be allowed by your state, otherwise you're SOL.

So if they are following government guidelines, they aren't "negligent".

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Santa Barbara shooting = very sad. Santa Barbara shooting =/= proof of gun policy issues.

One of the fathers of one of the victims is trying to blame the broken system, the NRA, etc.

The kid stabbed as many people as he shot (not including himself), he bought the guns legally, his parents called the police, and his parents literally tried to stop him after they saw his final video.

Sometimes, lima beans happens and you can't blame anyone or anything but the guilty party.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

kylemittskus wrote:Santa Barbara shooting = very sad. Santa Barbara shooting =/= proof of gun policy issues.

One of the fathers of one of the victims is trying to blame the broken system, the NRA, etc.

The kid stabbed as many people as he shot (not including himself), he bought the guns legally, his parents called the police, and his parents literally tried to stop him after they saw his final video.

Sometimes, lima beans happens and you can't blame anyone or anything but the guilty party.

That kid was COMPLETELY off his rocker. Did you read any of the crap he wrote? One hundred percent delusional.

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:That kid was COMPLETELY off his rocker. Did you read any of the crap he wrote? One hundred percent delusional.

Yes, but sadly the crap he wrote about women isn't original at all. Spend some time at A Voice For Men or Spearhead, and these are the milder mainstream sites. If you read through the comments you'll see plenty of crap that's along the same lines, if not as extreme. There is a subset who believes that women are evil and will take a man's money and his children with the aid of law enforcement and the gov't. A popular proposed solution to this problem is violence.
Then there is another subset, which I believe this guy belonged to, which focuses on their lack of sexual attention from women, hypergamy, and their sad status as "beta males." They are extremely frustrated and they hate/desire women in a very key lime pieed-up way. I stopped reading these men's rights forums some time ago because it was just too disturbing and made me want to never go outside again. But I wasn't a bit surprised or shocked at what this cauliflower wrote, just sad. I've seen it before.

Disclaimer: I do believe there are valid issues with men's rights that need to be addressed, which is why I ever visited those sites in the first place. They tend to veer off-topic into venting and hating.

mother

Ok, so WHAT THE (When 2 people love each other…)?! Attacking POWs is now Republican dogma?! God forbid anyone credit Obama with *anything*.

Way to toast any bonus points you got for exposing the (long existing)VA problems...

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:Ok, so WHAT THE (When 2 people love each other…)?! Attacking POWs is now Republican dogma?! God forbid anyone credit Obama with *anything*.

Way to toast any bonus points you got for exposing the (long existing)VA problems...

There's questions as to whether he actually was a POW or a deserter. There's evidence he went AWOL in an attempt to desert. If so, he should not be considered a POW. Ever.

It's one thing to be captured, it's quite another to desert.

While 4 of the 5 released may have been so-so, one has been considered for War Crimes prosecution. So not that good for us.

Edit: I haven't seen all the evidence, and I hate when the media paints someone guilty before trial. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. But I definitely want to see a Court-Martial and see if there's enough evidence.

Edit2: "According to firsthand accounts from soldiers in his platoon, Bergdahl, while on guard duty, shed his weapons and walked off the observation post with nothing more than a compass, a knife, water, a digital camera and a diary.

At least six soldiers were killed in subsequent searches for Bergdahl, and many soldiers in his platoon said attacks seemed to increase against the United States in Paktika province in the days and weeks following his disappearance."

Some are saying that his 5 years in captivity is enough punishment. If the above is true, and at least 6 soldiers died because of him, then his 5 years isn't enough.

MarkDaSpark

In other news, I applaud the latest SCOTUS ruling on a high speed chase. Although it's more about the end result.

Makes me wonder if there's ever been a successful escape from a high speed police pursuit. At least since all the police have helicopters and radio.

Edit: This one too. In essence, wife tries to poison BFF for getting pregnant by hubby (she can't have kids) using every day chemicals. Feds try to prosecute her under Chemical Weapons law.

Because prosecuting for attempted murder isn't enough?

The kicker? "The case has been through so many courts — including a previous stop at the Supreme Court — that Bond has served her prison term and reunited with her husband."

MarkDaSpark

To lighten the mood:

I'm voting for Odin, are you?

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:There's questions as to whether he actually was a POW or a deserter. There's evidence he went AWOL in an attempt to desert. If so, he should not be considered a POW. Ever.

It's one thing to be captured, it's quite another to desert.

While 4 of the 5 released may have been so-so, one has been considered for War Crimes prosecution. So not that good for us.

Edit: I haven't seen all the evidence, and I hate when the media paints someone guilty before trial. So I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for now. But I definitely want to see a Court-Martial and see if there's enough evidence.

I read the article you posted on facebook. Why would he not take his gun? He supposedly left the gun and took a camera and his diary? If that's even true, that doesn't suggest desertion to me. It suggests he wanted to get away for some quiet time/reflection. That's what I like to do, I take my camera and journal and go find a quiet spot. That would make him AWOL, but not a deserter. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
MarkDaSpark wrote:In other news, I applaud the latest SCOTUS ruling on a high speed chase. Although it's more about the end result.

Makes me wonder if there's ever been a successful escape from a high speed police pursuit. At least since all the police have helicopters and radio.

Edit: This one too. In essence, wife tries to poison BFF for getting pregnant by hubby (she can't have kids) using every day chemicals. Feds try to prosecute her under Chemical Weapons law.

Because prosecuting for attempted murder isn't enough?

The kicker? "The case has been through so many courts — including a previous stop at the Supreme Court — that Bond has served her prison term and reunited with her husband."

Tough to argue with you in those cases. I remember hearing about the chemical weapons charge some time ago, and thought that it was dunderheaded at the time. I haven't watched the high-speed chase video, but what I've read about the case has me in agreement as well (disclosure: I have three police officers in my family, so I am biased toward protecting officers from harm).

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

mother

To clarify my point: As a party- do not attack a POW swap from any and every angle eventually landing on attacking the POW who spent 5 years in captivity and expect to win national elections. Definitely don't do this when you started the second Iraq war.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I read the article you posted on facebook. Why would he not take his gun? He supposedly left the gun and took a camera and his diary? If that's even true, that doesn't suggest desertion to me. It suggests he wanted to get away for some quiet time/reflection. That's what I like to do, I take my camera and journal and go find a quiet spot. That would make him AWOL, but not a deserter. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

He was on Guard Duty. You want quiet time, you do it during your off hours, not when you are supposed to be guarding your fellow soldiers.

And if it was at night, what is more quiet time than that?

But that's why I'd like to see an official CM ... they would have the evidence of what did and didn't occur.

Edit: Also, you aren't in a war zone, with people firing at you. So yes, you wouldn't need a gun with you for quiet time. Unless you are going for quiet time in the mountains, where you have predators (lions, & bears, & terrorists, oh my!)

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:To clarify my point: As a party- do not attack a POW swap from any and every angle eventually landing on attacking the POW who spent 5 years in captivity and expect to win national elections. Definitely don't do this when you started the second Iraq war.

Again, I question that he should be considered a POW. But you could be right. We'll see in November.

Edit: And should Obama really be celebrating the release of someone wanted for War Crimes?

Mullah Mohammad Fazl - "Taliban’s former deputy defense minister and is wanted by the United Nations for his role in massacres targeting Afghan’s Shi’ite Muslim population."

It will be interesting to see just how long they actually stay in Qatar.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:Again, I question that he should be considered a POW. But you could be right. We'll see in November.

Edit: And should Obama really be celebrating the release of someone wanted for War Crimes?

I think there are tons of aspects of this we could talk about at length here.

Did they release someone super dangerous? Is that ever a smart move?

Did we just "negotiate with terrorists"?

Are the people in Guantanimo really just trapped in a bad idea that due to logistics and politics can't be corrected?

Edit: Did we violate any agreements or treaties by not turning him over to the someone to be tried for war crimes?

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:He was on Guard Duty. You want quiet time, you do it during your off hours, not when you are supposed to be guarding your fellow soldiers.

Agreed. I'm only saying it's not necessarily desertion if he walked off.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:Agreed. I'm only saying it's not necessarily desertion if he walked off.

It is when he's on Guard Duty. That's not AWOL in a war zone, that's desertion. "The primary difference between the two offenses is "intent to remain away permanently," or if the purpose of the absence is to shirk "important duty". Guarding your fellow soldiers in a war zone is an important duty.

Supposedly from someone in his unit, there's a statement going around that he actually asked some Afghan children where the Taliban were after he left his post. He also supposedly "had been acting a little strange, telling people he wanted to "walk the earth" and kept a little journal talking about how he was meant for better things."

I still want a CM to officially investigate, but the more I hear/read, the more I think he's guilty.

Edit: It's also not like he walked a little ways off, he walked far away from the outpost.