kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
redwinefan wrote:True, but I only ever see that one on this site. Am I wrong in thinking WTSO does more volume than Woot these days?

WL had a vintage, IIRC.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
kylemittskus wrote:WL had a vintage, IIRC.

Wine Spies just had an offer for the 2006 Ardente CS on October 7th.

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

2011 Iron Horse Chardonay for 19.99. Free shipping on $99+ at Wine Shopper.com.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
funbunny wrote:2011 Iron Horse Chardonay for 19.99. Free shipping on $99+ at Wine Shopper.com.

Pretty much the same price we've seen this for before, but it wasn't even in CT yet.
New release?
Any notes at all?
My '09 is drinking well now...

CT

funbunny

quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny
rjquillin wrote:Pretty much the same price we've seen this for before, but it wasn't even in CT yet.
New release?
Any notes at all?
My '09 is drinking well now...

Sorry, just the messenger. Our stores around here only carry a select few bubblies from Iron Horse so this is a deal for me over ordering from the winery.

Here is what is on the site:

91 points
Wine Enthusiast
"Iron Horse's 2011 Chardonnays are all fine in their own ways, but this Estate bottling seems to combine many of their best qualities in a single wine. With ripe orange, pear, apple and smoky oak flavors accented by brisk acidity, it shows the Iron Horse signature of elegant balance."

90 points
Wine & Spirits "This wine brings to mind a gingery English marmalade in its savory oak and orance flavors. There's also a clean, floral pear scent that comes up with air. A dry chardonnay to serve with lemony roast chicken."

Winemaker's Notes
The 2011 Estate Chardonnay is signature Green Valley. By nose, vanilla and spice, ripe red apple and a touch of lees on the finish. This Chardonnay is savory, complex and satisfying, with a touch of minerality, tarragon and vanilla.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj

AT WTSOP -

Quixote Panza Stags' Leap Ranch Vineyard Napa Valley Petite Syrah 2003

$21.99 + FS with two or more.

**** [edit] ... while it lasted.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

This is kind of a cool site if you haven't seen it, tracks and updates current wine deals on some of the flash sites. Comes in handy on the last bottle marathons..or kind of, if your cc can handle it..ha!

http://vinelog.com/deals

(no interest in the site other than a happy user)

jmdavidson

TSO: 2010 Eagles Trace Pinot Noir, Valhalla Vyd, at $30. FS w/2. No testimonial, just an announcement of availability.

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

McClean X vineyards at whole foods, all three bottles run in the $20-25 range and while this isn't really a deal I know people loved the mcclean syrahs and these are the last of those. Sexy looking bottles too!

CT

jmdavidson

cortot20 wrote:McClean X vineyards at whole foods, all three bottles run in the $20-25 range and while this isn't really a deal I know people loved the mcclean syrahs and these are the last of those. Sexy looking bottles too!

And that Whole Foods would be where?

cortot20

jmdavidson wrote:And that Whole Foods would be where?

Lol, sorry. SoCal

CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
cortot20 wrote:McClean X vineyards at whole foods, all three bottles run in the $20-25 range and while this isn't really a deal I know people loved the mcclean syrahs and these are the last of those. Sexy looking bottles too!

Think that's the wine they had left in the barrels? I am of of the McClean Syrah lovers and I was hoping Woot Cellars might have bought it to sell here.

purpletoes

quality posts: 0 Private Messages purpletoes

ptso Maroon Heritage Cab 2010 fs on 3. Just had 4 of these delivered on Saturday, too early to try any though...

cortot20

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Think that's the wine they had left in the barrels? I am of of the McClean Syrah lovers and I was hoping Woot Cellars might have bought it to sell here.

I'm guessing that this it. There's a Syrah, a zin blend and a cab blend.

CT

capitalsfn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages capitalsfn
cortot20 wrote:I'm guessing that this it. There's a Syrah, a zin blend and a cab blend.

My recollection from the McClean threads is that they got in touch with McClean X and determined it was different grapes. I don't believe anyone has tracked down where the last batch of unbottled McClean wine ended up.

cortot20

capitalsfn wrote:My recollection from the McClean threads is that they got in touch with McClean X and determined it was different grapes. I don't believe anyone has tracked down where the last batch of unbottled McClean wine ended up.

That is interesting then. I noticed next to the zin blend on the shelf was an identical bottling from 08' with the same Simone name on it. That winery on the back was called X Acres winery though and the bottle was a different shape. Now I'm curious.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

If it's at Whole Foods for 20 or 25 it will show up somewhere else for half the price

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:That is interesting then. I noticed next to the zin blend on the shelf was an identical bottling from 08' with the same Simone name on it. That winery on the back was called X Acres winery though and the bottle was a different shape. Now I'm curious.

Is this perhaps the barrel wine that remained at the time of the demise of McClean? The same juice that we suggested WD pick up and release as a woot bottling?

CT

capitalsfn

quality posts: 2 Private Messages capitalsfn
rjquillin wrote:Is this perhaps the barrel wine that remained at the time of the demise of McClean? The same juice that we suggested WD pick up and release as a woot bottling?

Found the comment in I believe the last McClean Syrah offer: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5512441&pageindex=1&replycount=34#post5513727

rjquillin

capitalsfn wrote:Found the comment in I believe the last McClean Syrah offer: http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5512441&pageindex=1&replycount=34#post5513727

Good sleuthing, I had forgotten about that post.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2012 Sola Syrah on LB for $10. FS on 6. No CT reviews. Seems like a pretty low entry to try it out though.

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:2012 Sola Syrah on LB for $10. FS on 6. No CT reviews. Seems like a pretty low entry to try it out though.

Saw that, but don't need six...

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

like the wootoff "carty favors", why not do it for wine, Have wine glasses, corkscrews, other wine items, then you buy the wootoff wine and add more to your cart to save on shipping.

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan

Anyone grab the Quixote Pretense on pTSO? Curious if anyone has had it before. Looks like a second label for Quixote.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

jmdavidson

redwinefan wrote:Anyone grab the Quixote Pretense on pTSO? Curious if anyone has had it before. Looks like a second label for Quixote.

Bought the Pretense a while back. Pd. $12 apiece for them. Tasty, but they drink like a $12 bottle of PS. So, a good everyday drinker, nothing more.

jmdavidson

If you are into trying verticals, Garagiste has this: Chateau Hourbanon Cru Bourgeois (Médoc) 6 Bottle Vertical - $98.91. (this is their grand vin – it is not a second wine; compare at 120-130+ in Europe, $140-150+ in the US). The vertical contains one bottle each: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All in this vertical are acclaimed and/or gold medal winners from various European competitions – none are cast-offs (not even the 2007, which is absolutely lovely at present).

Based on price, these are obviously not great, but for a unique opportunity, this could be worth the bucks. Only one CT review. +1

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
redwinefan wrote:Anyone grab the Quixote Pretense on pTSO? Curious if anyone has had it before. Looks like a second label for Quixote.

I have had it. I wouldn't buy it again unless it was pretty cheap.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
jmdavidson wrote:(this is their grand vin – it is not a second wine;

Where this might be good...to say grand vin might be a bit of a stretch.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jmdavidson

tytiger58 wrote:Where this might be good...to say grand vin might be a bit of a stretch.

I can't say that I have tried many french wines, so this should be an interesting adventure. Or as RPM says, pull lots of corks!

redwinefan

quality posts: 74 Private Messages redwinefan
kylemittskus wrote:I have had it. I wouldn't buy it again unless it was pretty cheap.

Thanks kyle & jim, I'll stop wondering about it.

"You need to invest in a corkscrew. Wine is for drinking." -- Peter Wellington

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

2010 Castlebank Cab from Dry Creek on plat. Good price for a single vineyard wine. Decent CT reviews.

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea
trifecta wrote:2010 Castlebank Cab from Dry Creek on plat. Good price for a single vineyard wine. Decent CT reviews.

I just saw that as well. Anyone have any personal experience with it?

rjquillin

trifecta wrote:2010 Castlebank Cab from Dry Creek on plat. Good price for a single vineyard wine. Decent CT reviews.

I think I had a bad experience with Castlebank at some point, as I've shied away from these since, but that was some time ago, and if others have recent experience I'd like to hear about it.

Are there likely different grades of these? Perhaps I got an entry level bottle. They show up enough, and at attractive price points..

CT

random122

quality posts: 6 Private Messages random122

Cougar Crest Reserve Syrah 2007 on WTSO for $19.99 each, free shipping on 4, which is cheaper than the regular estate syrah I bought (and liked) from w.w previously.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
rjquillin wrote:I think I had a bad experience with Castlebank at some point, as I've shied away from these since, but that was some time ago, and if others have recent experience I'd like to hear about it.

Are there likely different grades of these? Perhaps I got an entry level bottle. They show up enough, and at attractive price points..

FWIW: I haven't had this particular Cab but I have had the 2008 Castlebank Reserve Red Blend from TSO for about $14. It is an unusual blend of PS, Zin, and Malbec. I don't have formal notes but I had some within the last couple weeks and can recall it was fairly dark purple and I tasted dark fruits (blackberry and blueberry) . It was toasty; it has a fair amount of oak. The finish was nice and smooth. I did decant for probably an hour and a half. We liked it and thought it drank well above the price and would buy again.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
jmdavidson wrote:If you are into trying verticals, Garagiste has this: Chateau Hourbanon Cru Bourgeois (Médoc) 6 Bottle Vertical - $98.91. (this is their grand vin – it is not a second wine; compare at 120-130+ in Europe, $140-150+ in the US). The vertical contains one bottle each: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010. All in this vertical are acclaimed and/or gold medal winners from various European competitions – none are cast-offs (not even the 2007, which is absolutely lovely at present).

Based on price, these are obviously not great, but for a unique opportunity, this could be worth the bucks. Only one CT review. +1

A little late on this one, but they often have allocations left up to a few days post-offer. In any case, I had a bottle of the 2003 a couple weeks ago, got it from invino. Solid wine, definitely French and quite tasty. At about $19/bottle with delivery it's a solid deal, especially for the pristine condition vertical.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:A little late on this one, but they often have allocations left up to a few days post-offer. In any case, I had a bottle of the 2003 a couple weeks ago, got it from invino. Solid wine, definitely French and quite tasty. At about $19/bottle with delivery it's a solid deal, especially for the pristine condition vertical.

Price point on that seemed rather above average CT valuations. You sayin' I should reconsider?

CT

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Price point on that seemed rather above average CT valuations. You sayin' I should reconsider?

I'm sayin' I paid just over $19 for the bottle of 2003 I got from invino. It was nicely aged and worked for me for that price. ymmv.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jmdavidson

klezman wrote:I'm sayin' I paid just over $19 for the bottle of 2003 I got from invino. It was nicely aged and worked for me for that price. ymmv.

Without much info out there regarding these, at $16 a bottle, it seemed like an interesting science experiment/tasting experience. I'll invite my wino friends over one day and we'll do some verticals. Glad to hear that at least the 03 was tasty.

bud8jr

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bud8jr

2010 Ty's Red, Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard

Castlebank Cabernet Vivian's Vineyard 2010 Dry Creek Valley

Reserve Syrah 2007 Cougar Hills Vineyard Cougar Crest Estate Walla Walla

Hope these can compliment my 1st TJ's run in Central Florida when they open.

Thanks!