MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:Uh, yeah. Thanksgiving - New Years' is pretty much happy holidays eligible for me.

I don't care what people choose to say, as long as they don't yell at me about it. Happy whatever.





Says it all ...


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:
Says it all ...



I can't pronounce that! Happy everything, everybody!!!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:I can't pronounce that! Happy everything, everybody!!!



Sure you can! Happy Chris-ma-ka-wanza-yule-madon!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

joelsisk


quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
chemvictim wrote:Uh, yeah. Thanksgiving - New Years' is pretty much happy holidays eligible for me.

I don't care what people choose to say, as long as they don't yell at me about it. Happy whatever.



So, that includes Thanksgiving in the Holidays?

I don't take it personally if someone who doesn't know me says Merry Christmas (or any other "winter holiday" greeting. People who know me don't typically say that, and/or we have an awkward laugh about it when they realize what they said and try to figure out if it caused offense (which it doesn't).

I'm actually more annoyed when people say "Happy Hanukkah" on Dec 20, when Hanukkah ended Dec 2.

And on that note, to all my Christian brethren... how would you feel if someone said Merry Christmas on Dec 1... or Jan 20th? It's an honest question based on my realization of the above.

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
joelsisk wrote:So, that includes Thanksgiving in the Holidays?

I don't take it personally if someone who doesn't know me says Merry Christmas (or any other "winter holiday" greeting. People who know me don't typically say that, and/or we have an awkward laugh about it when they realize what they said and try to figure out if it caused offense (which it doesn't).

I'm actually more annoyed when people say "Happy Hanukkah" on Dec 20, when Hanukkah ended Dec 2.

And on that note, to all my Christian brethren... how would you feel if someone said Merry Christmas on Dec 1... or Jan 20th? It's an honest question based on my realization of the above.



I would think they're an Krampus of epic proportions. Christmas is the same day each year. Everyone in this Country knows when it is. However, I couldn't tell you when Hannukah is each year unless it's on the news or someone here or facebook mentions it. That's the problem with other holidays (don't get me started on Chinese New Years, making me think I'm a Dragon for years only to find out I'm a rabbit, a WOOD RABBIT at that!). Anyway, any holiday with a varying start time just leads to confusion.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
joelsisk wrote:So, that includes Thanksgiving in the Holidays?

I don't take it personally if someone who doesn't know me says Merry Christmas (or any other "winter holiday" greeting. People who know me don't typically say that, and/or we have an awkward laugh about it when they realize what they said and try to figure out if it caused offense (which it doesn't).

I'm actually more annoyed when people say "Happy Hanukkah" on Dec 20, when Hanukkah ended Dec 2.

And on that note, to all my Christian brethren... how would you feel if someone said Merry Christmas on Dec 1... or Jan 20th? It's an honest question based on my realization of the above.



Hahaha well I would not tell somebody Happy Thanksgiving right now, but I would feel it's okay to say Happy Holidays starting around that time and Thanksgiving could be included.

Merry Christmas on Dec 1, I would just think that person really enjoys the Christmas season. We have decorations all over the stores way before that. I think you have a few days after Dec 25 to air out "Merry Christmas" before it starts to get weird.

I think it's kind of hilarious that we all have our knickers in a twist about these greetings (or lack thereof). My personal pet peeve is "Merry Christmas" said as a challenge or in an aggressive manner. Well, any greetings said in that way would be annoying, but "Merry Christmas" is the only one I've ever heard as an intended insult. I am reminded of a certain Mr. Garrison Christmas song.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Since I like to be sensative about such things, does the following offend any of the Christians here?

edlada


quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
mother wrote:Since I like to be sensative about such things, does the following offend any of the Christians here?



With the caveat that I am not a Christian (I am an atheist), I sure do like that!

My dogs like me, that is important.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mother wrote:Since I like to be sensative about such things, does the following offend any of the Christians here?



He also had to get help from his Dad to feed the masses.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

On a somewhate hilarious note- did you all know that the Duck-decorateers are bunch of rich yuppie types? Whole thing is starting to look like a massive troll on liberals AND the southern bible thumping, Palin supporting, Hobby Lobby shopping, Chic fil A eating, queer bashing Krampuss.

(With due respect to those related to such persons)

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mother wrote:On a somewhate hilarious note- did you all know that the Duck-decorateers are bunch of rich yuppie types? Whole thing is starting to look like a massive troll on liberals AND the southern bible thumping, Palin supporting, Hobby Lobby shopping, Chic fil A eating, queer bashing Krampuss.

(With due respect to those related to such persons)



Yes, I have seen the beardless pictures before, but some of these were new to me. They were rich even before the show.

I wonder what Phil thinks about biblical passages referring to the rich. (although by all accounts, he lives very modestly; the sons do not)

jawlz


quality posts: 12 Private Messages jawlz
mother wrote:Since I like to be sensative about such things, does the following offend any of the Christians here?
IMAGE REDACTED FOR BREVITY



I suppose that is largely accurate. Not sure the veracity of the 'anti-death penalty,' and 'anti-public prayer' parts. Also, it is worth noting that he wouldn't have needed to fight for tax cuts, because taxes were really quite low in the Roman Empire compared to current tax rates in the developed world (though I admit they were somewhat augmented by various proscriptions at certain points in its history).

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mother wrote:Since I like to be sensative about such things, does the following offend any of the Christians here?



It doesn't offend me...I can only imagine offense coming from the tone, I guess, of the thing. It feels like it's trying to be confrontational.

*rant ahead, and it is not nice, but it is about "my people" and not yours*

Unfortunately, as evidenced by the reaction to the Duck Dynasty nonsense, the flavor of Christianity I was raised in is not about Jesus. I've called this Christian-lite before, because people pretty do what they want while paying lip service to Christianity and making sure they mention GOD and the BIBLE often enough to get them into heaven. Bemoaning how lack of morals (and this means sexual morality), and taking God out of school is causing the country to decline. Never mind that teen pregnancy is common, divorce is very common, adultery is damn near a given. It's a rare kid who grows up with two parents (the same two!) in the home from birth to adulthood. Yep, it's the gays that are ruining society, that and the lack of prayer in schools. I am asked to respect all deeply held religious convictions, but it is hard to respect this one.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen

It doesn't surprise me that a family with the entrepreneurial spirit and business acumen to make a fortune selling duck calls would also be capable of reinventing their personas to successfully sell themselves as a reality TV show.

It does surprise me that when the patriarch of that family says exactly what you would expect his DD persona to say about certain subjects, they pull the plug on him. Not that I care much either way since I don't watch the show. There's not much reality in reality TV, it's just another manufactured entertainment product.

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chipgreen wrote:
It does surprise me that when the patriarch of that family says exactly what you would expect his DD persona to say about certain subjects, they pull the plug on him. Not that I care much either way since I don't watch the show. There's not much reality in reality TV, it's just another manufactured entertainment product.



You just wait, he'll be back and they (Robertsons, A&E, etc.) will make 2x as much as without this.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
jawlz wrote:I suppose that is largely accurate. Not sure the veracity of the 'anti-death penalty,' and 'anti-public prayer' parts.

Actually, the anti-public prayer part was anti-self-aggrandizing public prayer.
Not offended. The truth is what it is.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, the anti-public prayer part was anti-self-aggrandizing public prayer.



Tim Tebow! lol

Edit: actually, I wonder about Phil Robertson and this one. He was always quite vocal about wanting people to know they were praying.

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
mother wrote:You just wait, he'll be back and they (Robertsons, A&E, etc.) will make 2x as much as without this.

I don't doubt it. A little controversy is good for ratings. Although I disagree with the totality of the saying that "there's no such thing as bad publicity" it usually turns out pretty good for those who are seeking to enter or remain in the spotlight. Miley Cyrus knows this all too well.

tytiger58


quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

Well Merry Christmas my Woot Poli"tick friends! And if your just generally intolerant or part of the entitlement generation enjoy the days you have off with your family

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Well Merry Christmas my Woot Poli"tick friends! And if your just generally intolerant or part of the entitlement generation enjoy the days you have off with your family



Merry Christmas. We'll return to the entitlement comment later.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
tytiger58 wrote:Well Merry Christmas my Woot Poli"tick friends! And if your just generally intolerant or part of the entitlement generation enjoy the days you have off with your family



Enjoy family? This is a foreign concept.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:Enjoy family? This is a foreign concept.

You're not supposed to be here today. Bug off!

CT

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
tytiger58 wrote:Well Merry Christmas my Woot Poli"tick friends! And if your just generally intolerant or part of the entitlement generation enjoy the days you have off with your family



Merry Christmas!

I'm far away from my family, which is a blessing and a curse.

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:Well Merry Christmas my Woot Poli"tick friends! And if your just generally intolerant or part of the entitlement generation enjoy the days you have off with your family



Merry Christmas. This turned into a work day for molarchae. Boo.
But I've got the rest of the week off (in exchange we had no company holidays from New Year's to Memorial Day this year).

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Merry Christmas. This turned into a work day for molarchae. Boo.
But I've got the rest of the week off (in exchange we had no company holidays from New Year's to Memorial Day this year).


Eh, you're kidding, today!?
And then no Good Friday to boot; horrors!

CT

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Eh, you're kidding, today!?
And then no Good Friday to boot; horrors!



Client deliverables are just that. Gotta get them done. Otherwise we'd be with her family in Tucson.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

CO legalized marijuana for recreational purchase and use as of yesterday. The only arguments I've heard (not that there aren't more out there) against it are those arguments we all love so much: "Oh, the children!"

"CO's children are being used as lab rats in this experiment" is my personal favorite.

Is anyone around these parts against the complete end of marijuana prohibition?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

joelsisk


quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk
kylemittskus wrote:CO legalized marijuana for recreational purchase and use as of yesterday. The only arguments I've heard (not that there aren't more out there) against it are those arguments we all love so much: "Oh, the children!"

"CO's children are being used as lab rats in this experiment" is my personal favorite.

Is anyone around these parts against the complete end of marijuana prohibition?



Yeah, very few are against it... even after the state constitution amendment passed with "only" 65% of the vote. No huge protests, no significant legal challenges.

Our biggest issue is that all marijuana sold (legally, either medical or now recreational) must have proper provenance... so there is a supply shortage. Prices for recreational went up over 25% just over the course of yesterday.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:CO legalized marijuana for recreational purchase and use as of yesterday. The only arguments I've heard (not that there aren't more out there) against it are those arguments we all love so much: "Oh, the children!"

"CO's children are being used as lab rats in this experiment" is my personal favorite.

Is anyone around these parts against the complete end of marijuana prohibition?



I'm fine with it. My understanding is that it's still illegal on the federal level, so I wouldn't feel comfortable partaking. I think medicinal is legal in my state...not sure.

joelsisk


quality posts: 9 Private Messages joelsisk

I received my tax return back from the IRS. It puzzles me! They are questioning how many dependents I claimed.

I guess it was because of my response to the question: "List all dependents?"

I replied: 12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million people on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons; Half of Mexico; and 535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate."

They said this was NOT an acceptable answer.

I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO THE HELL DID I MISS?

____________
I was going to put this in the jokes thread, but then remembered others who thought this type of humor should reside in this thread.

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
joelsisk wrote:I received my tax return back from the IRS. It puzzles me! They are questioning how many dependents I claimed.

I guess it was because of my response to the question: "List all dependents?"

I replied: 12 million illegal immigrants; 3 million crack heads; 42 million people on food stamps, 2 million people in over 243 prisons; Half of Mexico; and 535 persons in the U.S. House and Senate."

They said this was NOT an acceptable answer.

I KEEP ASKING MYSELF, WHO THE HELL DID I MISS?

____________
I was going to put this in the jokes thread, but then remembered others who thought this type of humor should reside in this thread.

Ha! *THIS*

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Mexican immigrant can practice law, California court rules

Technically, an illegal immigrant, brought when he was 17 months old, left at age 9, returned illegally at age 17. Dad, who became a citizen, applied for the son's green card in 1994.

"According to a 1996 federal law, states may not award public benefits to immigrants who lack legal status unless legislatures specifically approved exemptions." So of course our legislature made an exemption.


So is anyone else bothered by the fact that he broke our laws, and is now supposed to uphold them?


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim


quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:Mexican immigrant can practice law, California court rules

Technically, an illegal immigrant, brought when he was 17 months old, left at age 9, returned illegally at age 17. Dad, who became a citizen, applied for the son's green card in 1994.

"According to a 1996 federal law, states may not award public benefits to immigrants who lack legal status unless legislatures specifically approved exemptions." So of course our legislature made an exemption.


So is anyone else bothered by the fact that he broke our laws, and is now supposed to uphold them?



*shrug*

It's California. You folks are "special."

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
chemvictim wrote:*shrug*

It's California. You folks are "special."

Rather, it's the illegals that get 'special' privileges, not the citizen residents that must obey the laws.

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
MarkDaSpark wrote:Mexican immigrant can practice law, California court rules

Technically, an illegal immigrant, brought when he was 17 months old, left at age 9, returned illegally at age 17. Dad, who became a citizen, applied for the son's green card in 1994.

"According to a 1996 federal law, states may not award public benefits to immigrants who lack legal status unless legislatures specifically approved exemptions." So of course our legislature made an exemption.


So is anyone else bothered by the fact that he broke our laws, and is now supposed to uphold them?


"The state Supreme Court agreed unanimously that Sergio C. Garcia — who passed the bar examination four years ago — should receive a law license while awaiting federal approval of his green card application."

"His father, an agricultural worker who obtained American citizenship, applied for a green card for his son in 1994. The federal government accepted the petition in 1995, but Garcia is still waiting for the card."
---------------

It's not his fault that the government has taken 19 years to issue his green card. That's a bigger concern to me than the fact that they are going to allow him to practice law in the meantime.

EDIT to add that he if he was not taking steps to become "legal", then yes I would have a problem with the ruling.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

Interesting. I'm undecided and I think both Sparky and chip have strong ground to stand on. I wonder how actively he was trying to become a citizen (ie: regularly making phone calls or writing to try to get paperwork movement or seek advice of an attorney).

Edit: Uh . . .

“The fact that an undocumented immigrant’s presence in this country violates federal statutes is not itself a sufficient or persuasive basis for denying undocumented immigrants, as a class, admission to the State Bar,” Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye wrote for the court.
"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:Edit: Uh . . .

“The fact that an undocumented immigrant’s presence in this country violates federal statutes is not itself a sufficient or persuasive basis for denying undocumented immigrants, as a class, admission to the State Bar,” Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye wrote for the court.

..it is our cancer from within.
We as citizens are expected to abide by established laws, while those that have broken laws are given a pass.

This is wrong and only perpetuates a further erosion and respect for established law.

CT

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Interesting. I'm undecided and I think both Sparky and chip have strong ground to stand on. I wonder how actively he was trying to become a citizen (ie: regularly making phone calls or writing to try to get paperwork movement or seek advice of an attorney).



Quote aside, do you have any idea how long it takes to wait for the government to approve immigration petitions? It took 14 months just to get my labour certification! (That means I'm not allowed to file the immigration petition.) I have colleagues who have been waiting for their green cards for 5+ years after their petitions are approved. The system is cumbersome and makes no sense.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Quote aside, do you have any idea how long it takes to wait for the government to approve immigration petitions? It took 14 months just to get my labour certification! (That means I'm not allowed to file the immigration petition.) I have colleagues who have been waiting for their green cards for 5+ years after their petitions are approved. The system is cumbersome and makes no sense.

Yes, the system needs work and reform. The system should also not reward those that have broken our laws.

CT

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Yes, the system needs work and reform. The system should also not reward those that have broken our laws.



That always catches me between a rock and a hard place. I absolutely agree in principle, especially since I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for your government to process paperwork. On the other hand, there's no practical way to deal with the illegal immigrants. Can't simply deport them all - unless you want to spend billions of dollars doing it. Not worth it, imo. So then you're left with the status quo or doing something. I think it makes practical sense to legalize them over time - not as a reward, though. Long time frame, back taxes (if not already paid), additional fees, etc, would make it a long and difficult road. Then, however, they have some sort of legal status. I don't particularly care about citizenship for them long term, and I suspect neither do most of them.

2014: 32 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Jana Cathedral 3 L
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT