bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

Now that the temps are on the upswing and the thought of using heat in my home to cook with is unappealing, I think I'll be using the Anova much more. Kinda worked that way last year I found.

Also, I did a corned beef flat at 175 for 22 hours and it basically just fell apart. Easy shredding for hash (which is about the only way I like corned beef). 175 for the recommended 15 hours likely would have resulted in perfect slices.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:Now that the temps are on the upswing and the thought of using heat in my home to cook with is unappealing, I think I'll be using the Anova much more. Kinda worked that way last year I found.

Also, I did a corned beef flat at 175 for 22 hours and it basically just fell apart. Easy shredding for hash (which is about the only way I like corned beef). 175 for the recommended 15 hours likely would have resulted in perfect slices.

175 seems high to me. I do mine at ~142 for 2 days. Perfect for slices, which I then cube up for hash. Loses enough moisture at 142, seems like 175 would dry it out a bit.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:175 seems high to me. I do mine at ~142 for 2 days. Perfect for slices, which I then cube up for hash. Loses enough moisture at 142, seems like 175 would dry it out a bit.

possibly, but it was so coated in fat and gelatin from connective tissues you wouldn't know it. My wife found the recipe and it gave different times for how you wanted it. I was supposed to pull it at 15 hours, but my math was suspect...

Edit: She probably found Kenji's post on SeriousEats as I remember her talking about the different times and temperatures.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin

Anyone still looking for a vacuum sealer, meh has the FoodSaver V2222 for the hefty tariff of $22.
Bags cost that much, but the local Costco has them on special as well.

CT

bhodilee

Wi-Fi model is 30 bucks off for any interested lurkers.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

TJ's pork loin (striploin) at 59 degrees for 2.5-3 hours was amazing. Among the best pork I've tasted.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg

I have a favorite pork tenderloin recipe that calls for 30 minutes of marinating in lime juice, honey, EVOO, garlic, some other spices, then grilling for about 20-25 minutes.
I'm thinking about trying it on the sous vide cooker, and just finishing on the grill. Any thoughts about time and temperature?

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:I have a favorite pork tenderloin recipe that calls for 30 minutes of marinating in lime juice, honey, EVOO, garlic, some other spices, then grilling for about 20-25 minutes.
I'm thinking about trying it on the sous vide cooker, and just finishing on the grill. Any thoughts about time and temperature?

I would think what Klez posted for the pork loin above would work just fine the tenderloin as well.

As a side note, when it comes to marinating/grilling pork tenderloin, I like to take each tenderloin, cut them in half and butterfly them out to an even .75-1" thickness prior to marinating. I've definitely found that this allows the tenderloin to take in a lot more of the marinade (more surface area as well as newly exposed muscle fibers) and makes cooking much easier (probably anywhere from 5-9 min per side), based on your preferred pork done-ness. I basically throw every asian ingredient I have into the marinade and it comes out wonderful.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 31 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
klezman wrote:TJ's pork loin (striploin) at 59 degrees for 2.5-3 hours was amazing. Among the best pork I've tasted.

Can you confirm this is for pork loin, not pork tenderloin? I want to try a pork loin roast (about 3 lbs), but I can't find good/consistent information about time and temperature. Most of the recipes I find are for tenderloin or pork chops.

Anyone who has done a pork loin roast, please add comments. Thanks

klezman

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Can you confirm this is for pork loin, not pork tenderloin? I want to try a pork loin roast (about 3 lbs), but I can't find good/consistent information about time and temperature. Most of the recipes I find are for tenderloin or pork chops.

Anyone who has done a pork loin roast, please add comments. Thanks

That one looks like it was striploin, not tenderloin. I've done both, however. The tenderloins have been smaller, in the 1.25 lb range, so it cooks pretty quickly. I'd wager a guess that a 3 lb tenderloin is about 2.5" thick at the long end. That translates to about 2 hours or so at your desired doneness. A bit more if you want to pasteurize.

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm
klezman wrote:That one looks like it was striploin, not tenderloin. I've done both, however. The tenderloins have been smaller, in the 1.25 lb range, so it cooks pretty quickly. I'd wager a guess that a 3 lb tenderloin is about 2.5" thick at the long end. That translates to about 2 hours or so at your desired doneness. A bit more if you want to pasteurize.

I know what a pork loin is and I know what a pork tenderloin. However, I do not know what a pork striploin is in relation to the other two. :color me confused:

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm

I got an email from the Anova people the other day. Included was a recipe for Sous Vide Dill Pickles. I happened to find some at the farmers' market today and decided to give them a try. They were soooo easy and are soooo good! Here's the recipe: Sous Vide Dill Pickles

Enjoy!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 31 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
bahwm wrote:I know what a pork loin is and I know what a pork tenderloin. However, I do not know what a pork striploin is in relation to the other two. :color me confused:

+1
Still looking for advice for pork loin roast.

klezman

bahwm wrote:I know what a pork loin is and I know what a pork tenderloin. However, I do not know what a pork striploin is in relation to the other two. :color me confused:

Not having eaten a ton of pork growing up, I've just gone with the same nomenclature the USDA is moving to - i.e. same thing across animals. So the loin is tenderloin and striploin - i.e. what would be NY strip if it was beef. I would have to assume that what you're calling "pork loin" is what I'm calling striploin. It's the same muscle that makes up the eye of a rib steak, on the opposite side of a T-bone from the tenderloin. But then again I don't think I've ever seen a pork T-bone on offer anywhere.

Edit: The nomenclature sucks. Pork loin appears to refer to anything cut from the ribs on down the back. Striploin refers to the part of that cut which is past the ribcage (more or less). So a "pork loin" is the larger cut that could either be a pork loin rib roast (i.e. the thing that when you circle it up is a crown roast). It just seems that what should be a "pork rib steak" is often called a "pork loin chop". I think this is among the reasons the USDA is trying to push things toward a consistent nomenclature.

In any case, we're all talking about the muscle that runs along the back, above the ribs, but maybe different distances along the spine. So what I wrote above should hold regardless, so long as it's not the snout end of the animal and it starts to look like shoulder more than rib/loin/whatever we're going to call it.

bhodilee

In case it hasn't been posted

http://lifehacker.com/tag/will-it-sous-vide

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:I got an email from the Anova people the other day. Included was a recipe for Sous Vide Dill Pickles. I happened to find some at the farmers' market today and decided to give them a try. They were soooo easy and are soooo good! Here's the recipe: Sous Vide Dill Pickles

Enjoy!

My wife and daughter love pickles. Will have to try this one

kaolis

quality posts: 66 Private Messages kaolis

Been kind of busy and then summer came and we got busier and tend to cook outdoors so the sous vide kind of got pushed to the side. Time to dust it off I think. I have the Anova pre-wifi but could use a second unit for occasional use. Anyone have any experience with the NutriChef unit over on sellout!? The regular price is overstated, it is $99 on Amazon. Not a ton of info out there on it but looks like worth a gamble.

bhodilee

kaolis wrote:Been kind of busy and then summer came and we got busier and tend to cook outdoors so the sous vide kind of got pushed to the side. Time to dust it off I think. I have the Anova pre-wifi but could use a second unit for occasional use. Anyone have any experience with the NutriChef unit over on sellout!? The regular price is overstated, it is $99 on Amazon. Not a ton of info out there on it but looks like worth a gamble.

I hate the clip, but otherwise, for the price, why not?

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
kaolis wrote:Been kind of busy and then summer came and we got busier and tend to cook outdoors so the sous vide kind of got pushed to the side. Time to dust it off I think. I have the Anova pre-wifi but could use a second unit for occasional use. Anyone have any experience with the NutriChef unit over on sellout!? The regular price is overstated, it is $99 on Amazon. Not a ton of info out there on it but looks like worth a gamble.

Expensive but I like some of the features.

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?gclid=CjwKEAjwydK_BRDK34GenvLB61YSJACZ8da3VSwG7czA_9rKkvb3JsJv2jedUufD5xhPuZB4saf8khoCrdvw_wcB

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom
tytiger58 wrote:Expensive but I like some of the features.

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule?gclid=CjwKEAjwydK_BRDK34GenvLB61YSJACZ8da3VSwG7czA_9rKkvb3JsJv2jedUufD5xhPuZB4saf8khoCrdvw_wcB

Objection, Your Honor, nonresponsive!

kaolis wrote:..... Anyone have any experience with the NutriChef unit over on sellout!? The regular price is overstated, it is $99 on Amazon. Not a ton of info out there on it but looks like worth a gamble.

Anyway, enough courtroom drama, still nobody familiar with that NutriChef? It's back, a Plus sale on Home. kaolis, did you bite the last time it was up?

rjquillin

And we have the The Precision Oven to look forward to next year...

And meh has a $22 foodsaver to go with the sous vide.

CT

InFrom

I'm getting a side ad on my wine.woot pages and FB for an Anova Thanksgiving sale, $129 for the BT version. Do we think there'll be a better Black Friday deal somewhere? I was thinking about asking for an Anova for my bday next month.

joed10303

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joed10303
InFrom wrote:I'm getting a side ad on my wine.woot pages and FB for an Anova Thanksgiving sale, $129 for the BT version. Do we think there'll be a better Black Friday deal somewhere? I was thinking about asking for an Anova for my bday next month.

Just got a email from Anova, Til 11/19 BT version is $99 with code anova2-fsacbe2s.

InFrom

joed10303 wrote:Just got a email from Anova, Til 11/19 BT version is $99 with code anova2-fsacbe2s.

Thanks!

InFrom

joed10303 wrote:Just got a email from Anova, Til 11/19 BT version is $99 with code anova2-fsacbe2s.

Someone on Slickdeals posted a Target offer at the same price, next Thurs thru Sun. To that, someone commented that Best Buy will feature the same deal. I figure Amazon can't be far behind.

kaolis

InFrom wrote:I'm getting a side ad on my wine.woot pages and FB for an Anova Thanksgiving sale, $129 for the BT version. Do we think there'll be a better Black Friday deal somewhere? I was thinking about asking for an Anova for my bday next month.

Another Anova email today, Black Friday deal, well 24th - 26th, $99 again for BT

kaolis

Did Maple Leaf Farms duck breast the other night. First time trying, recipes are all over the place. I ended up scoring skin, a little salt and pepper, seared skin side down 2 min. In the bag with some fresh thyme and olive oil/rendered fat from searing. 90 minutes at 135f. Quick sear again. Perfect med rare.
Would def do again. Don't think I would do longer time for fear of getting mushy. And the skin was not as crispy, pushed a few pieces aside. But me missing an ounce of fat probably isn't a bad thing ;)

InFrom

kaolis wrote:Another Anova email today, Black Friday deal, well 24th - 26th, $99 again for BT

So in case anyone's hiding under a Black Friday rock, it's on sale for that price pretty much everywhere, with FS.

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:So in case anyone's hiding under a Black Friday rock, it's on sale for that price pretty much everywhere, with FS.

linkie

CT

siwbm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages siwbm

Anova is being bought by Electrolux for $250M

InFrom

siwbm wrote:Anova is being bought by Electrolux for $250M

And to think I only spent 99 bucks!

rjquillin

siwbm wrote:Anova is being bought by Electrolux for $250M

gonna vacuum up all of the SV market

CT

InFrom

So I made all the elements of the meal in this article: the confit of chicken leg, the roast potatoes, and the parsley salad. I liked it all, I'd make it again. I roasted some brussels sprouts besides. I doubled the cooking time in the immersion circulator, otherwise I followed the recipe pretty closely. Really good.

TaylorSwiftsHaircut

quality posts: 31 Private Messages TaylorSwiftsHaircut

Staff

InFrom wrote:So I made all the elements of the meal in this article: the confit of chicken leg, the roast potatoes, and the parsley salad. I liked it all, I'd make it again. I roasted some brussels sprouts besides. I doubled the cooking time in the immersion circulator, otherwise I followed the recipe pretty closely. Really good.

Yum! This looks fantastic!

InFrom

TaylorSwiftsHaircut wrote:Yum! This looks fantastic!

When you get the resident white-meat lover to comment that the chicken is delicious, you know you have a winner.

The recipe would have you using the rendered chicken fat/evoo for the potatoes and the salad dressing, but since I started those while the chicken was still immersed in its vacuum bag, I just used evoo for them.

I did have an evaporation problem,with my overnight cook. I had the pot partially covered, but not enough I guess. The low-water alarm went off at least an hour before I intended the cooking to stop. (Not sure how much before, I woke up this morning and the alarm was sounding.) I think I'll rig some tinfoil over it next time.

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:When you get the resident white-meat lover to comment that the chicken is delicious, you know you have a winner.

The recipe would have you using the rendered chicken fat/evoo for the potatoes and the salad dressing, but since I started those while the chicken was still immersed in its vacuum bag, I just used evoo for them.

I did have an evaporation problem,with my overnight cook. I had the pot partially covered, but not enough I guess. The low-water alarm went off at least an hour before I intended the cooking to stop. (Not sure how much before, I woke up this morning and the alarm was sounding.) I think I'll rig some tinfoil over it next time.

I use plastic wrap, works great, there's also instructions on their website of how to turn an old cooler into the sous vide vessel of your dreams.

ddeuddeg

InFrom wrote:So I made all the elements of the meal in this article: the confit of chicken leg, the roast potatoes, and the parsley salad. I liked it all, I'd make it again. I roasted some brussels sprouts besides. I doubled the cooking time in the immersion circulator, otherwise I followed the recipe pretty closely. Really good.

How closely? Did you "discipline some parsley with a knife?" I love that phrase!

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.

InFrom

ddeuddeg wrote:How closely? Did you "discipline some parsley with a knife?" I love that phrase!

I did whack it pretty good with the big knife! I don't think we'll be hearing any back-talk from that parsley again.

ddeuddeg

InFrom wrote:I did whack it pretty good with the big knife! I don't think we'll be hearing any back-talk from that parsley again.