tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
bhodilee wrote:brought my setup in to work, got a Center Cut Pork Roast that I cut off the bones, then removed the chine and threw the ribs back in the bag, cause why not. 145 for five hours, we'll see how it turns out. Probably awesome.

Why do people buy meat from Costco? Have you not butchers or am I just that spoiled cause I live in Nebraska?

Uhh yes you are spoiled living in Nebraska!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:Because they have good quality meat at good prices; why else?

Most meat-market/butchers around here overcharge for lesser quality. Costco has butchers on staff so what the difference, besides possibly fewer choices?

8.99 sounds about average, at least for choice around here. This weekend at Costco strips were 6.99, ribeye 9.99 and filet 13.99. All are $1-3 cheaper per pound if you buy the whole loin/roast. Our Costco does not sell T-Bone/Porterhouse.

Will they custom cut? Cause I had to have mine cut, then they brought them over to make sure I liked the marbling. I have no idea what they would have done had I said no, I don't like those.

There was once where I was digging through the Prime Rib and the lady who is part owner asked what I was digging for, I told her, I dunno, a Prime Rib that doesn't suck? She laughed and said, I'll be right back. She came out with this GORGEOUS Bone-on PR and said, I was saving this for me, but you know your shit so you can have it. I love my local butcher

I'm same on Ribeye, little more on strips (unless they're on special) and about $2.50 less on Filets. I'll have to join Costco again. Do they have Buffalo? I love Buffalo but it's so damn expensive!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

The pork was a hit and my boss is glad he purchased one and another co-worker is getting one the next time they have a sale. I should get a kickback.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:Will they custom cut? Cause I had to have mine cut, then they brought them over to make sure I liked the marbling. I have no idea what they would have done had I said no, I don't like those.

Costco? They will if you buy the whole loin/roast, but not individual steaks. Most of their steaks they cut 1" thick or more though, so not a huge issue. Local butchers will to, of course, but their meat isnt as good and more expensive.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Costco? They will if you buy the whole loin/roast, but not individual steaks. Most of their steaks they cut 1" thick or more though, so not a huge issue. Local butchers will to, of course, but their meat isnt as good and more expensive.

Poor sad wasteland you live in

bhodilee

This has never been an issue for me, but say you have a spouse who likes Medium and you like Medium Rare. Can you start their steak an hour ahead at 140, then back the temp down to 130 and do your steak for an hour or so? I would imagine the medium steak will still be fine yes? And yours would be still be right yeah? On the rare (hah!) occasion I cook to different temps, I just use my other Anova.

North316

bhodilee wrote:Poor sad wasteland you live in

It will be fine once I own a home and have some room. I know a few people locally who raise cows and can easily procedure a whole, half or quarter.

My CT

North316

bhodilee wrote:This has never been an issue for me, but say you have a spouse who likes Medium and you like Medium Rare. Can you start their steak an hour ahead at 140, then back the temp down to 130 and do your steak for an hour or so? I would imagine the medium steak will still be fine yes? And yours would be still be right yeah? On the rare (hah!) occasion I cook to different temps, I just use my other Anova.

Yes, I think that is the suggested way to do it. Honestly, I would think the quick sear would bring it back up to eating temp if you just wanted to take the first one out instead of keep it going.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:It will be fine once I own a home and have some room. I know a few people locally who raise cows and can easily procedure a whole, half or quarter.

Quarter, unless you have a large family. Half a cow is SO much meat

We did that once and a lot of it got freezer burnt

North316

bhodilee wrote:
I'm same on Ribeye, little more on strips (unless they're on special) and about $2.50 less on Filets. I'll have to join Costco again. Do they have Buffalo? I love Buffalo but it's so damn expensive!

I can bul the whole beef tenderloin for 10.99/lb, but packs of 4 are marked up to 13.99.

Ours has ground buffalo, not sure of the price.

My CT

North316

bhodilee wrote:Quarter, unless you have a large family. Half a cow is SO much meat

We did that once and a lot of it got freezer burnt

That's what foodsavers are for, but it would be a PITA to re-do everything the butcher wrapped.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:That's what foodsavers are for, but it would be a PITA to re-do everything the butcher wrapped.

Could you just vacuum it in the wrap?

North316

Everyone must be too busy to cook these days, I know I am.

My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:Could you just vacuum it in the wrap?

Bowtie, could you look at the Ninja blenders in home and comment.
btw, I have under 18" clear on the counter top, so vertical size is an issue.

CT

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Bowtie, could you look at the Ninja blenders in home and comment.
btw, I have under 18" clear on the counter top, so vertical size is an issue.

Email sign in is bullshit. Kinda like Ninja Blenders. Don't waste your money on them regardless of how awesome they want to sound.

The Kitchenaid Diamond Blender is probably the only one on there worth a half a shit, but I wouldn't buy it. Save your pennies and get a blendtec or a vitamix (I have both, cause I'm a freak, and I prefer the vitamix by a large margin, unless i'm just crushing ice, then the blendtec. It makes snow).

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:Email sign in is bullshit. Kinda like Ninja Blenders. Don't waste your money on them regardless of how awesome they want to sound.

The Kitchenaid Diamond Blender is probably the only one on there worth a half a shit, but I wouldn't buy it. Save your pennies and get a blendtec or a vitamix (I have both, cause I'm a freak, and I prefer the vitamix by a large margin, unless i'm just crushing ice, then the blendtec. It makes snow).

So can you use your Vitamix as a juicer? I'm kinda on a kick for V8s, but they are not the greatest since a lot of the pulp is taken out. I'd like to try my hand at making them myself, if it doesn't seem too hard.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:Email sign in is bullshit. Kinda like Ninja Blenders. Don't waste your money on them regardless of how awesome they want to sound.

Thanks. $$$ saved for more saké.

CT

bhodilee

otolith wrote:So can you use your Vitamix as a juicer? I'm kinda on a kick for V8s, but they are not the greatest since a lot of the pulp is taken out. I'd like to try my hand at making them myself, if it doesn't seem too hard.

Yes, very much so. I have yet to make an o.j. I like, but everything else is great. Thick like a shake, but tasty. Bawhm can tell you more.

https://www.vitamix.com/browse/recipes/s_Juice/

basically v8

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Thanks. $$$ saved for more saké.

No prob, I'm weird about blenders.

kaolis

quality posts: 66 Private Messages kaolis

Thoughts on today's Foodsaver on Home?

bhodilee

kaolis wrote:Thoughts on today's Foodsaver on Home?

No bells, no whistles, not even Bluetooth for chimps Saké! I love that my keyboard autocorrects to Saké.

Seriously though, that seems like a really good deal. It's a vacuum sealer, they don't need frills. If you're looking might be time.

Checked amazon, the rival brand version is 36 shipped with prime. Had one, did fine, bags are cheaper but harder to find locally. I'd get the one on home woot.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

Did a chunk of pork shoulder the other night. 59 degrees for about 10 hours. It was quite good, texture was middle of the road. I'd try 24 hours next time to see if I could get it more falling apart but without being dry.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm
bhodilee wrote:Yes, very much so. I have yet to make an o.j. I like, but everything else is great. Thick like a shake, but tasty. Bawhm can tell you more.

https://www.vitamix.com/browse/recipes/s_Juice/

basically v8

I heard my name mentioned. If my name was mentioned on earlier pages, sorry, I've been missing from this thread. Been a bit busy with other things--I wish I could say that I've been using my Vitamix exclusively, but not even that!

I have tried the Beetiful Whole Food Juice Drink on the link that Bowtie provided above. It was really good. It takes some getting used to due to the thickness of the juice with the pulp in it. Also, this juice recipe makes a lot--6 cups. I put the rest in the fridge and didn't get back to it for a few days and it started to ferment! I might have used apple cider that started to ferment and that caused the rest of the batch to go bad! So, sad! I'll have to try it again.

That "V8" juice sounds good. Smoothies, even with kale or spinach, come out beautifully smooth. I just made my favorite one with: almond milk, a splash of OJ, kale, blueberries, peaches, banana and a squirt of agave.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

Blendtec Blender This is the base model, but it still has programs. I have this one, but prefer my Vitamix by a large margin. One, the tamper is what makes the Vitamix superior, two, this Blendtec isn't heavy enough and will literally walk around your counter while working, kind of negating the whole, set it and forget aspect of programs. It is a beast though and this is a good price.

bhodilee

Doing a corned beef point. 140 for 36 hours. We'll see. Also, Colcannon? Never heard of it.

bahwm

quality posts: 58 Private Messages bahwm
bhodilee wrote:Doing a corned beef point. 140 for 36 hours. We'll see. Also, Colcannon? Never heard of it.

How frequently do you need to add water when running it for 36 hours? I'd be afraid to run it for that long a time while I'm at work. Obviously, we haven't tried cooking anything for that length of time!

You never heard of Colcannon? I guess you don't live in the Irish side of town, like we do!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:How frequently do you need to add water when running it for 36 hours? I'd be afraid to run it for that long a time while I'm at work. Obviously, we haven't tried cooking anything for that length of time!

You never heard of Colcannon? I guess you don't live in the Irish side of town, like we do!

Bout every 8 or so hours. In gonna put some plastic wrap on it today. Yeah, in kinda miffed about Colcannon as it sounds awesome.

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:Doing a corned beef point. 140 for 36 hours. We'll see. Also, Colcannon? Never heard of it.

You'll love Colcannon. Great stuff.

I think we have a flat cut. Will be done in the oven with a Jack Daniels glaze.

dlschier

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dlschier

A good corned beef reference for next time.

bhodilee

dlschier wrote:A good corned beef reference for next time.

I saw that. I prefer the moister variety so I lowered the temp and added time. Mine will be not quite 48 hours when I pull it, chill it, slice it, heat it, CONSUME IT!

North316

bhodilee wrote:I saw that. I prefer the moister variety so I lowered the temp and added time. Mine will be not quite 48 hours when I pull it, chill it, slice it, heat it, CONSUME IT!

I was very happy with the 145 degree one I did for 48 hours. Have a nice flat cut corned beef in the fridge that I got from Costco that will be done with the same prep in the very near future.

My CT

North316

bhodilee wrote:I saw that. I prefer the moister variety so I lowered the temp and added time. Mine will be not quite 48 hours when I pull it, chill it, slice it, heat it, CONSUME IT!

So how was it? Ours was delicious. We actually cooked it in two hunks. We pulled both after 48 hours (62C). One hunk was used right away to make some hash for breakfast. The other hunk was put in the fridge for dinner consumption, traditional jiggs dinner. We saved the liquid from both packages and put it in with the vegetables to roast. Came out wonderful and you would have never guessed the vegetables were not actually cooked with the corned beef.

EDIT, oh yeah, what was left will be used tomorrow for Reubens.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:So how was it? Ours was delicious. We actually cooked it in two hunks. We pulled both after 48 hours (62C). One hunk was used right away to make some hash for breakfast. The other hunk was put in the fridge for dinner consumption, traditional jiggs dinner. We saved the liquid from both packages and put it in with the vegetables to roast. Came out wonderful and you would have never guessed the vegetables were not actually cooked with the corned beef.

EDIT, oh yeah, what was left will be used tomorrow for Reubens.

Quite good, but I gotta stop being cheap and buying points. Flats from now on.

North316

bhodilee wrote:Quite good, but I gotta stop being cheap and buying points. Flats from now on.

I don't even see points around here. I'm sure I could get one directly from a butcher, but other than that they really aren't sold around here.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:I don't even see points around here. I'm sure I could get one directly from a butcher, but other than that they really aren't sold around here.

We always have either option. The points are generally 1.50/lb cheaper, which appeals to me, then I eat it and I'm like, yep, points are only good for burnt ends...

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk

Has anyone done a traditional roast beef? Looking for some guidance... have a lovely silver tip roast that I'm hoping to make for dinner tomorrow. I don't think it needs the 24+ hour cook times as the other shoulder/chuck roasts, but unclear if 4 or 6 or 10 or ?? would be better. Google is failing me right now...

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:Has anyone done a traditional roast beef? Looking for some guidance... have a lovely silver tip roast that I'm hoping to make for dinner tomorrow. I don't think it needs the 24+ hour cook times as the other shoulder/chuck roasts, but unclear if 4 or 6 or 10 or ?? would be better. Google is failing me right now...

I just did an eye of round at 140 for 36 that was crazy good.
Edit:
Silver tip roast, rubbed with salt, pepper, dried green chilis and seared on the grill and then cooked 6 hours at 130 F in the sous vide and then dried off and seared again on the grill was good enough for company, rare all the way through, served with grilled corn, and grilled tomatoes, yellow squash, and peppers with pesto. Sliced thin, the meat tasted like a sirloin steak.

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk

Well, it will be an 8 hour roast.

rubbed with horseradish, montreal steak seasoning, and smoke paprika.

North316

Results?

Has anyone tried scallops yet? Going to give that a shot tonight I think

My CT

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

Anybody ever add garlic to their steak? Looking to add some sort of flavoring to them...

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)