mtuhuskies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtuhuskies
ThunderThighs wrote:We will not be able to provide information on individual states until/if they are added to the ship-to list. Sorry.



Just FYI - I'm questioning this philosophy. A simple update might help keep people interested. Now that I've missed a few wine.woot offs and I'm still completely in the dark as to the status of Minnesota is starting to get frustrating and making me get less and less interested in checking this site for updates. A simple update might help keep the interest for me and others alive to keep checking wine.woot.

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
chipgreen wrote:Yes, I'm in the Cleveland area. Let me know... I'm up for splits sometimes or can wootleg for you. Last I heard, PA had two bills being considered which would allow shipping alcohol from out of state but I don't know if that would include wine.woot's third-party business model.



We havent allowed beer into grocery stores yet. I am not holding my breath for PA accepting 3rd party shipments.

Currently all wine and spirits must be purchased at the state store.

I will send you a pm if I see anything that strikes my fancy on WW.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
bkarlan wrote:We havent allowed beer into grocery stores yet. I am not holding my breath for PA accepting 3rd party shipments.

Currently all wine and spirits must be purchased at the state store.

I will send you a pm if I see anything that strikes my fancy on WW.

Someone just announced they were direct shipping to PA. Zahtlia? Yes
After months of working with the State of Pennsylvania, Laura Michael Wines has finally gained the license to directly ship to consumers without the use of the State Store.

Good to see you're still around, don't be so quiet.

CT

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
bkarlan wrote:We havent allowed beer into grocery stores yet. I am not holding my breath for PA accepting 3rd party shipments.

Currently all wine and spirits must be purchased at the state store.

I will send you a pm if I see anything that strikes my fancy on WW.


Some of the larger Giant Eagle grocery stores in the Pittsburgh area have a small amount of beer available. I'm not sure if it is a trial or what but maybe wine will follow!

foobarski


quality posts: 2 Private Messages foobarski

FWIW, I notice that since Ohio's back on the Wootlist, I can now also buy wine from Amazon itself for the first time ever. (Although I'm limited to domestic wines ... that was always the case with Woot as well, and I assume will continue to be.)

"Is there anything a man don't stand to lose, when the devil wants to take it all away?
Cherish well your thoughts, and keep a tight grip on your booze.
Cause thinkin' and drinkin' are all I have today."
-- John Perry Barlow / Bob Weir ("Mexicali Blues")

mrsjhaye


quality posts: 16 Private Messages mrsjhaye
WF wrote:Can WineWoot just send me an email when WV is back on the list, so I can quit wasting my time coming here to check?????



I too am waiting for WV to be back on the list. I would spend time and effort trying to influence any WV powers that be if I knew who to contact...

bkarlan


quality posts: 46 Private Messages bkarlan
rjquillin wrote:Someone just announced they were direct shipping to PA. Zahtlia? Yes
After months of working with the State of Pennsylvania, Laura Michael Wines has finally gained the license to directly ship to consumers without the use of the State Store.

Good to see you're still around, don't be so quiet.



I have found a few direct shippers. Hopefully Scott Harvey will jump onboard.

I am always lurking you cant get rid of me that easily.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse..." - John Stuart Mill

tomatillo


quality posts: 8 Private Messages tomatillo
mtuhuskies wrote:Just FYI - I'm questioning this philosophy. A simple update might help keep people interested. Now that I've missed a few wine.woot offs and I'm still completely in the dark as to the status of Minnesota is starting to get frustrating and making me get less and less interested in checking this site for updates. A simple update might help keep the interest for me and others alive to keep checking wine.woot.



A few weeks ago I made a few phone calls and wasted a few hours speaking to the bureaucrats who claim to be in charge of licensing, importation, etc. Finally, the person who called back said (most likely with a straight face), "...if the out of state vendor is paying MN taxes, (I) can't see any reason why they would have stopped shipping to our state." And claimed no one else had phoned to complain.

Now, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to anyone who believes this.

mtuhuskies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtuhuskies
tomatillo wrote:A few weeks ago I made a few phone calls and wasted a few hours speaking to the bureaucrats who claim to be in charge of licensing, importation, etc. Finally, the person who called back said (most likely with a straight face), "...if the out of state vendor is paying MN taxes, (I) can't see any reason why they would have stopped shipping to our state." And claimed no one else had phoned to complain.

Now, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell to anyone who believes this.



Thanks for the info! So Woot, what can we do to help get shipping to MN back to on the list! I guess I don't understand the problem to be able to explain to state representatives.

tuerkish


quality posts: 0 Private Messages tuerkish

Any new information on Wisconsin? Too bad it looks like I will miss out on any holiday bundles. Thanks!

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

tuerkish wrote:Any new information on Wisconsin? Too bad it looks like I will miss out on any holiday bundles. Thanks!

Sorry, no news. We can only post when a state is added. We do not have access to the information behind the scenes.



FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

jgosau


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jgosau

The complete lack of "this is why your state is dropped" info makes this very frustrating. State legislative session is coming up, time to make the phone calls to get things straightened out. But without info it's impossible to do that.

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
jgosau wrote:The complete lack of "this is why your state is dropped" info makes this very frustrating. State legislative session is coming up, time to make the phone calls to get things straightened out. But without info it's impossible to do that.


If you live in one of the states that was ok to receive wine.woot shipments until recently then I wouldn't waste the time or effort to contact your representatives.

Despite the party line that wine.woot will be opening up more states for shipping "as laws continue to evolve" the caveat is that the laws did not change in your state (unless you're in VA).

What changed is that Amazon owns woot and Amazon's legal team has decided (apparently) that the wording of existing laws is too ambiguous to take a chance on continuing to ship wine to some of the states they used to service previously.

I assume that they are continuing to examine the legalese in alcohol distribution laws for the affected states and attempting to get some clarification from state representatives as necessary.

The only thing to do is wait and hope that your state gets added back to the list in the near future. Half a dozen or so states have been added back so far so there has been some progress but there are still another 12-13 states affected that are currently in wine.woot limbo.

NOTE that most of the above is speculation based upon what little information has been available over the last several months. An "educated guess", if you will.

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
chipgreen wrote:...

That is such a nicely put statement of the situation. If I had the power to award you a point of quality, I would.

MrSparkleQ


quality posts: 0 Private Messages MrSparkleQ
chipgreen wrote:If you live in one of the states that was ok to receive wine.woot shipments until recently then I wouldn't waste the time or effort to contact your representatives.

Despite the party line that wine.woot will be opening up more states for shipping "as laws continue to evolve" the caveat is that the laws did not change in your state (unless you're in VA).

What changed is that Amazon owns woot and Amazon's legal team has decided (apparently) that the wording of existing laws is too ambiguous to take a chance on continuing to ship wine to some of the states they used to service previously.

I assume that they are continuing to examine the legalese in alcohol distribution laws for the affected states and attempting to get some clarification from state representatives as necessary.

The only thing to do is wait and hope that your state gets added back to the list in the near future. Half a dozen or so states have been added back so far so there has been some progress but there are still another 12-13 states affected that are currently in wine.woot limbo.

NOTE that most of the above is speculation based upon what little information has been available over the last several months. An "educated guess", if you will.




This restriction is clearly being driven by Amazon and likely out of the hands of anyone at Woot. Has anyone else tried contacting Amazon as to why their state is off the list?

mparikh05


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mparikh05

They REMOVED New Jersey! I cannot buy wines

klezman


quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
mparikh05 wrote:They REMOVED New Jersey! I cannot buy wines



Check again another day...each winery still needs its own license to ship their offer into your state. According to freethegrapes.org NJ laws are rather odd.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:Check again another day...each winery still needs its own license to ship their offer into your state. According to freethegrapes.org NJ laws are rather odd.


NJ does have some strange laws but they're also one of the states that are currently in wine.woot limbo so they haven't been able to buy for the last couple months.

Savagesam37


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Savagesam37

Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is for Woot to take Kansas off the naughty list.

Signed

Tannin Tim

P.S. Scrooge lives in Missouri, but please remove them as well. Lord knows, he needs the wine more than I do.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
MrSparkleQ wrote:This restriction is clearly being driven by Amazon and likely out of the hands of anyone at Woot. Has anyone else tried contacting Amazon as to why their state is off the list?



You have no idea what you're talking about. Amazon wants you to buy things; they're a business. There was a law that was I interpreted "strangely" that has affected other sites, as well. For example, WL got a cease and desist order. Amazon is obviously going to be more cautious than a smaller, independent site (WTSO), but Amazon isn't driving the restrictions. That simply makes no sense.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:You have no idea what you're talking about. Amazon wants you to buy things; they're a business. There was a law that was I interpreted "strangely" that has affected other sites, as well. For example, WL got a cease and desist order. Amazon is obviously going to be more cautious than a smaller, independent site (WTSO), but Amazon isn't driving the restrictions. That simply makes no sense.

Of course they do, but they also have lawyers, nervous lawyers, and Amazon would seem also to have way more to lose and therefore is more cautious.

Not sure Amazon is driving them, but it seems a good bet they are reacting to them.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Of course they do, but they also have lawyers, nervous lawyers, and Amazon would seem also to have way more to lose and therefore is more cautious.

Not sure Amazon is driving them, but it seems a good bet they are reacting to them.



Reacting? Unequivocally. But they're obviously working to return the most states to buyer status. I guess my poorly made point was that blaming amazon is stupid.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

mtuhuskies


quality posts: 0 Private Messages mtuhuskies

Wow this thread is dead. Are people pretty much giving up hope and shopping at other Wine sites? I reread the entire thread and sure seems like there is nothing I can do from a contacting my representatives standpoint, is that correct?

slm9951


quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951
mtuhuskies wrote:Wow this thread is dead. Are people pretty much giving up hope and shopping at other Wine sites? I reread the entire thread and sure seems like there is nothing I can do from a contacting my representatives standpoint, is that correct?



You seem to be correct. I have conntacted my state representatives with no help coming from them. They seem disinterested. My state has been off the list (Va) with no seeming end in site. I still lurk here because I love the insight, the winery participation and candid remarks of the other wooters.

WilfBrim


quality posts: 18 Private Messages WilfBrim
mtuhuskies wrote:Wow this thread is dead. Are people pretty much giving up hope and shopping at other Wine sites? I reread the entire thread and sure seems like there is nothing I can do from a contacting my representatives standpoint, is that correct?



Yup. Count me in on the "I've given up, I'm buying my wine elsewhere" camp. I was just by to look at the wine saver (which I already have). This is being driven by Amazon's apparently extremely paranoid lawyers. The powers that be at Amazon, after listening to aforementioned lawyers, have decided that the profit to be gained is outweighed by the potential legal trouble of selling in states with unclear (in the lawyer's minds) shipping restrictions. It isn't going to change.

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine
mtuhuskies wrote:Wow this thread is dead. Are people pretty much giving up hope and shopping at other Wine sites? I reread the entire thread and sure seems like there is nothing I can do from a contacting my representatives standpoint, is that correct?



Well, this thread is pretty useless. It's either people complaining (in my opinion, rightfully so) about their sudden disruption in service with no apparent effort to resolve it, or any sufficient explanation from woot. Or it's Kyle playing the white knight for amazon and relating to us the obvious motivations of corporations to make money (no way!) as a vast and vague generalization that they "Really do want to help us guys!" I'm pretty sure he works there.

The need for an explanation/update is real and a priority for some customers and shouldn't be ignored or argued.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
eluofthenine wrote:Well, this thread is pretty useless. It's either people complaining (in my opinion, rightfully so) about their sudden disruption in service with no apparent effort to resolve it, or any sufficient explanation from woot. Or it's Kyle playing the white knight for amazon and relating to us the obvious motivations of corporations to make money (no way!) as a vast and vague generalization that they "Really do want to help us guys!" I'm pretty sure he works there.

The need for an explanation/update is real and a priority for some customers and shouldn't be ignored or argued.



By all means, insult me and get upset at me instead of the three-tier distribution system or at your gov't officials for allowing it. It's the internet!

I don't work for amazon or woot or anyone, actually. But thanks for your concern. My point this entire time is very simple. Amazon is a business. Amazon wants your money. They are obviously working to fix the issues since some states have been re-added. Complain all you want, just don't clutter up the offer threads with the same posts over and over again like that's somehow going to magically fix the issue. The difference between you and me is that I'm trying to help people who don't understand what's going on with the best knowledge we have. You do what? Oh, right. Come on the thread, say it's useless, and insult people you don't know. Yeah, you win. You can go back to doing all of those things again, now. Sorry to interrupt.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:By all means, insult me and get upset at me instead of the three-tier distribution system or at your gov't officials for allowing it. It's the internet!

I don't work for amazon or woot or anyone, actually. But thanks for your concern. My point this entire time is very simple. Amazon is a business. Amazon wants your money. They are obviously working to fix the issues since some states have been re-added. Complain all you want, just don't clutter up the offer threads with the same posts over and over again like that's somehow going to magically fix the issue. The difference between you and me is that I'm trying to help people who don't understand what's going on with the best knowledge we have. You do what? You can go back to insulting people you know nothing about now.



I think Scarlett Johannsen has a Butter Face. You know, great body, butter face...

is that a good example of what you're talking about?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:I think Scarlett Johannsen has a Butter Face. You know, great body, butter face...

is that a good example of what you're talking about?



You, sir, are obviously blind and have poor taste! Good day.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:You, sir, are obviously blind and have poor taste! Good day.



seriously, she's a carpet bagger

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

eluofthenine


quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Kyle, I get your point. Businesses want to make money. We're not all intellectually challenged and you're not making some amazing revelation to us. You're just wrong in using that as an excuse. They should be telling us something.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
eluofthenine wrote:Kyle, I get your point. Businesses want to make money. We're not all intellectually challenged and you're not making some amazing revelation to us. You're just wrong in using that as an excuse. They should be telling us something.



Ok. Why are you directing that comment to me? They should tell you more. I'll . . . uh . . . let 'em know using our secret decoder rings?

I'm not making excuses. I've been trying to relay what we, as a community, have been able figure out. And I'm attempting to relay that info to the significant number of people who obviously, based on the multitude of posts in the threads, don't know. That's also, of course, the point of this "useless" thread. I'm also -- in what I'm sure is a futile effort, even if we all did it in unison -- trying to get everyone who is upset to understand that this isn't woot's or Amazon's fault. This is a legal issue that is decided by, or at least enforced by, elected officials and the three-tier BS system.

I don't care about Amazon. I quite like this community, though, and those who are part of it. So, I'll try to defend (if you want to use that word) it when misguided anger is directed at the wrong target and I'll correct misinformation that will lead to said misguided anger.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
bhodilee wrote:seriously, she's a carpet bagger



I bite my thumb at you, sir.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:seriously, she's a carpet bagger



I guess Nebraska is a lot like Texas, you know, Steers and....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:I guess Nebraska is a lot like Texas, you know, Steers and....



Sneers? Jeers? Beers? Gears? Spears (she's hot)?

But sorry, I'm not budging, that girls face is not cute in the least. Super hot body though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:I bite my thumb at you, sir.



See, it's the watery eyes, they cause you to not see her face clearly.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:I think Scarlett Johannsen has a Butter Face. You know, great body, butter face...

is that a good example of what you're talking about?

I'm astounded Butter Face isn't/wasn't a filter.

But I do however think a better job could be done in informing this community regarding status and progress, if there is any. Someone knows, but for some reason isn't/can't disclose details. Doesn't affect me here in CA, other than the ongoing chatter that clutters the main threads.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:I'm astounded Butter Face isn't/wasn't a filter.

But I do however think a better job could be done in informing this community regarding status and progress, if there is any. Someone knows, but for some reason isn't/can't disclose details. Doesn't affect me here in CA, other than the ongoing chatter that clutters the main threads.



To continue my reputation as the apologist, what would they tell us? "Almost there"? Then people would ask for a specific time-frame. Miss the time-frame and cue more anger. Or they'd ask "why X state and not Y?" My assumption is that if there is something they could tell us, there is a reason they're not keeping us abreast of every move being made. It is possible that I'm wrong and they're doing it to be sadistic wine hoarders, of course.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
kylemittskus wrote:To continue my reputation as the apologist, what would they tell us? "Almost there"? Then people would ask for a specific time-frame. Miss the time-frame and cue more anger. Or they'd ask "why X state and not Y?" My assumption is that if there is something they could tell us, there is a reason they're not keeping us abreast of every move being made. It is possible that I'm wrong and they're doing it to be sadistic wine hoarders, of course.

Something as simple as we're at the mercy of the "Amazon lawyers that are working on it" would seem to greatly clear the air. We'd then know it's not WCC or woot directly, but the corporate veil of Amazon lawyers that have a severe case of cranialrectalitus.

CT

kylemittskus


quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Something as simple as we're at the mercy of the "Amazon lawyers that are working on it" would seem to greatly clear the air. We'd then know it's not WCC or woot directly, but the corporate veil of Amazon lawyers that have a severe case of cranialrectalitus.



I think we can safely assume a couple of things based on what we know. 1) Something changed affecting wine shipment. Example: WL receieved a cease and desist order from NY. 2) WW is not structurally identical to other sites. 3) Because of 1 and 2, plus the fact that Amazon's exposure is exponentially greater than a site like TSO, Amazon's lawyers are being overly cautious.

Just my assumptions, of course.

Apologist out.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen