bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
kaolis wrote:Brisket was awesome. I went simple trying to get time and temps figured out. It was only about 1.5lbs, left all fat on. Seasoned little bit of salt,pepper,garlic powder,paprika and about 1tbs liquid smoke. Maybe a little more liquid smoke next time. 48 hours at 134. Perfect pink, tender, loved the texture. Gave it a char on the grill.

Next time might try some curing salts, but I think if you use curing salts you can't use liquid smoke. Not sure about that.

That looks so good and I will be procuring a brisket soon.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:You'll have to ask her why she didn't like it. I can't imagine not liking it unless you're like my MIL and refuse to use anything with a LED readout on it.

Don't believe she tried it. Concerned about finding a spot on her counters without using an extension cord was part. And my wife is not excited by it. We did one steak dinner, and one was slightly undercooked (hers of course). So she is very skeptical still. I will use it more than her for the time being, that is for sure.

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:Don't believe she tried it. Concerned about finding a spot on her counters without using an extension cord was part. And my wife is not excited by it. We did one steak dinner, and one was slightly undercooked (hers of course). So she is very skeptical still. I will use it more than her for the time being, that is for sure.

chicken, make chicken breast for her and she'll change her tune.

My wife was LIVID when I Kickstarted not one, but two of these, first steak and she changed her mind. Also, Valentine's is this weekend, you could do an overnight Prime Rib in it. That'd make her come around.

Course, my wife felt the same way about the Vitamix, then she used it to make custard for a pie and stopped complaining.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

rjquillin

quality posts: 287 Private Messages rjquillin

direct link as the link off side deals fails for me. $79 delivered (+tax) for a FoodSaver® GameSaver® Deluxe Plus.

CT

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:direct link as the link off side deals fails for me. $79 delivered (+tax) for a FoodSaver® GameSaver® Deluxe Plus.

yep, that's the one. I think the only real difference between it and mine is mine pivots on the back for vertical storage, which I don't care about as it's not sitting on the counter anyway.

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316
kaolis wrote:Brisket was awesome. I went simple trying to get time and temps figured out. It was only about 1.5lbs, left all fat on. Seasoned little bit of salt,pepper,garlic powder,paprika and about 1tbs liquid smoke. Maybe a little more liquid smoke next time. 48 hours at 134. Perfect pink, tender, loved the texture. Gave it a char on the grill.

Next time might try some curing salts, but I think if you use curing salts you can't use liquid smoke. Not sure about that.

What was the texture/consistency of the fat after 48 hours?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

I've been craving beef lately, just haven't had the time to go to Costco and see what looks good to prep and make/freeze for sous vide. I hate being an accountant this time of year.

My CT

kaolis

quality posts: 66 Private Messages kaolis
North316 wrote:What was the texture/consistency of the fat after 48 hours?

ng

For a true melting of fat/collagen and a fall apart piece of meat you probably want to go higher from what I understand. I'll probably try 160 next time just to see the difference. The fat on this was well rendered though if that's the right term. Was not rubbery or "fatty" to me, totally edible inmho
particularly sliced thin. But I'm new to the sous vide thing and this was brisket #1. So we'll see. Made some nice fajitas with leftovers.

Fat side is down here but you can kind of see how much thicker it was to start:

North316

kaolis wrote:ng

For a true melting of fat/collagen and a fall apart piece of meat you probably want to go higher from what I understand. I'll probably try 160 next time just to see the difference. The fat on this was well rendered though if that's the right term. Was not rubbery or "fatty" to me, totally edible inmho
particularly sliced thin. But I'm new to the sous vide thing and this was brisket #1. So we'll see. Made some nice fajitas with leftovers.

Fat side is down here but you can kind of see how much thicker it was to start:

Cool. Just wondering if it was chewy/rubbery v. melt-in-your-mouth, or somewhere in between. With the rub, and especially the finish on the grill, I was wondering why you kept so much fat on it unless the intention was to eat it.

My CT

kaolis

North316 wrote:Cool. Just wondering if it was chewy/rubbery v. melt-in-your-mouth, or somewhere in between. With the rub, and especially the finish on the grill, I was wondering why you kept so much fat on it unless the intention was to eat it.

Maybe not buttery melt in your mouth, but getting there. So maybe at that temp in between? I kept the cap on strictly as an experiment I guess for me because I hadn't done one before. And my gut was that it would add to the flavor, texture and moisture. And yes to eat it as well if it turned out favorably. It did, for me.

rjquillin

I'm pitiful and can't find a pic-post from (I thought) tytiger58 of some pork he did.
Looking for details on how it was done, as I now have some raw meat...

CT

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:I'm pitiful and can't find a pic-post from (I thought) tytiger58 of some pork he did.
Looking for details on how it was done, as I now have some raw meat...

Shoulder? Go at 57-60 C for 12-36 hours depending on the texture you're going for. You could go as high as 62-3 if you want also.

Tenderloin, you don't need much time. 58 C is probably what I'd do, followed by a pan sear. Higher temp if using the blowtorch, unless you want medium-rare pork.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bhodilee

klezman wrote:Shoulder? Go at 57-60 C for 12-36 hours depending on the texture you're going for. You could go as high as 62-3 if you want also.

Tenderloin, you don't need much time. 58 C is probably what I'd do, followed by a pan sear. Higher temp if using the blowtorch, unless you want medium-rare pork.

Who doesn't want medium rare pork?????

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Shoulder? Go at 57-60 C for 12-36 hours depending on the texture you're going for. You could go as high as 62-3 if you want also.

Yes, shoulder.
Seasoning?
Finish on the grill?

CT

kaolis

rjquillin wrote:Yes, shoulder.
Seasoning?
Finish on the grill?

Shoulder...looking for pulled pork or slicing? That could determine both seasoning and cook temp.

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Yes, shoulder.
Seasoning?
Finish on the grill?

A piece that big, I'd probably finish in the oven at max temp. But like kaolis said, how you want to serve it should dictate.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:A piece that big, I'd probably finish in the oven at max temp. But like kaolis said, how you want to serve it should dictate.

It came as chunks, good sized ones however, serving size, Costco; and will be served on a plate.
Open for any/all suggestions.

CT

North316

rjquillin wrote:It came as chunks, good sized ones however, serving size, Costco; and will be served on a plate.

If you have several smaller chunks, sounds like a perfect time to experiment to find out what you like. Package separately, pick a temp and pull at different time lengths (or put in at different times and pull at the same time), see what length you like best. Conversely, you could also put it all in at one temp, pull a chunk out, raise temp, pull a chunk out and repeat.

My CT

otolith

quality posts: 26 Private Messages otolith

Anova BT on sale on Mothership today for $139. Good deal?

What other accessories should I get?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

The Anova Bluetooth is one of the daily deals on Amazon today for $139. Seems like a decent price, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got cheaper since they'll likely do away with Bluetooth only.

kaolis

rjquillin wrote:It came as chunks, good sized ones however, serving size, Costco; and will be served on a plate.

Yeah maybe what North says. Looks like if you want "steaks" shorter times and lower temps. If you're looking for a pulled pork type texture, higher temp. But I've seen some people suggest a lower temp for as long as 72 hours+ for pulled pork.

Seasonings I gather is whatever clicks your trigger. If you're going for the pulled pork/bbq angle try the liquid smoke. Some people suggest adding butter or olive oil.

I did a pork chop last night with some fresh rosemary and fresh garlic. Pat of butter. 135F for an hour. Was tasty pink. I used a small sprig of rosemary and a medium clove of garlic, expecting the rosemary to be strong and the garlic not so much. Boy was I wrong, the rosemary was in the background and the garlic was front and center. I had only used garlic powder before. Learning.

And nice to know you are using plates ;)

kaolis

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:The Anova Bluetooth is one of the daily deals on Amazon today for $139. Seems like a decent price, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got cheaper since they'll likely do away with Bluetooth only.

It was $10 less during the Anova website Holiday Sale in December... so, yeah, I expect as they phase it out to go down.

On the other hand, if you want to start using it next week...

kaolis

bhodilee wrote:The Anova Bluetooth is one of the daily deals on Amazon today for $139. Seems like a decent price, but I wouldn't be shocked if it got cheaper since they'll likely do away with Bluetooth only.

What do you think is the next version? I have the Anova One, like it. Chose it over the BT because it's a little more powerful and it was $99 because it was the end of that model as well.

bhodilee

kaolis wrote:What do you think is the next version? I have the Anova One, like it. Chose it over the BT because it's a little more powerful and it was $99 because it was the end of that model as well.

Well, they just came out with the wifi one not long ago, so unless they make it smaller and more powerful, which they will, it'll be a bit before they come out with another. Joule by Chef Steps is coming out soon and looks fairly awesome. Much better App and much smaller while supposedly being more powerful. I don't need it, but will be interested in the reviews (oh, and it's $100 more! unless you reserve early of course).

kaolis

bhodilee wrote:Well, they just came out with the wifi one not long ago, so unless they make it smaller and more powerful, which they will, it'll be a bit before they come out with another. Joule by Chef Steps is coming out soon and looks fairly awesome. Much better App and much smaller while supposedly being more powerful. I don't need it, but will be interested in the reviews (oh, and it's $100 more! unless you reserve early of course).

Ah, missed the blue tooth to wi-fi info. The apps are fine I guess but so far just punching in the numbers on the keypad seems to be working just fine. Showing my age?

bhodilee

kaolis wrote:Ah, missed the blue tooth to wi-fi info. The apps are fine I guess but so far just punching in the numbers on the keypad seems to be working just fine. Showing my age?

Nah, I never use the app. What's the point?

bhodilee

Boss just stopped back. "Guess what I'm getting for Valentine's Day" No clue, none whatsoever. "One of your water cooker things." I told him to bring it in Monday and I'll show him how to use it.

kaolis

Next up, spare rib tips. Don't usually buy tips but they looked good and thought they'd fit in the bag easier.

North316

Made some salmon tonight. Simple saly, pepper and ginger. 40 min at 54.5. It was delicious and should be perfect to go with salad or on a sandwich.

My CT

kaolis

North316 wrote:Made some salmon tonight. Simple saly, pepper and ginger. 40 min at 54.5. It was delicious and should be perfect to go with salad or on a sandwich.

Salmon loves sous vide, or is it the other way around?

Fresh ginger? How much?

rjquillin

First try (4 experiments) with some of the cheapest Costco port imaginable; I think under $2/#.
Success, all counts.

1. Cheap red wine, EVOO and garlic clove
  2. Butter, garlic clove and Rosemary
  3. EVOO, Rosemary and some smoke
  4. butter, garlic clove and smoke

cooked ~18 hr @ 62C + 4hr @ 64C followed by a minute or two per side (4) on a gas grill set to stun.

All were tender, juicy and tasty.
The wine was my fav and SWMBO liked the EVOO, smoke and Rosemary best.

Need to add to this that there were two unused chunks; looks like they are headed for a curry pot. Before tasting the sous vide she got hold of the remainder and trimmed the snot out of and grumbled 'don't ever buy this cheap crap again'.

Nary a peep after supper...
The sous vide was untrimmed.

Oh, and the 2011 Wellington Vineyards Syrah England Crest was tasty as well...

CT

klezman

USDA Prime tritip from Costco (where else), with 1999 Chateau Lannesan Haut-Medoc. Excellent.
Lemon curd with blueberries and 2007 Clos la Chance Nectar LH for dessert. Dead ringer for a Sauternes, surprisingly.

kaolis

rjquillin wrote:First try (4 experiments) with some of the cheapest Costco port imaginable; I think under $2/#.
Success, all counts.

cooked ~18 hr @ 62C + 4hr @ 64C followed by a minute or two per side (4) on a gas grill set to stun.

Need to add to this that there were two unused chunks; looks like they are headed for a curry pot. Before tasting the sous vide she got hold of the remainder and trimmed the snot out of and grumbled 'don't ever buy this cheap crap again'.

Thanks for the update

North316

kaolis wrote:Salmon loves sous vide, or is it the other way around?

Fresh ginger? How much?

Powder. Just a dusting (my dusting may be heavier than others, I love ginger)

My CT

siwbm

quality posts: 7 Private Messages siwbm
rjquillin wrote:First try (4 experiments) with some of the cheapest Costco port imaginable; I think under $2/#.
Success, all counts.

Costco sells port at $2/#?

North316

siwbm wrote:Costco sells port at $2/#?

Sure, who doesn't want sous vide mulled port? Get with it.

My CT

rjquillin

siwbm wrote:Costco sells port at $2/#?

carp.
pork.
fat fingers, too much grape juice, poor vision, or who knows...?

CT

bhodilee

brought my setup in to work, got a Center Cut Pork Roast that I cut off the bones, then removed the chine and threw the ribs back in the bag, cause why not. 145 for five hours, we'll see how it turns out. Probably awesome.

Why do people buy meat from Costco? Have you not butchers or am I just that spoiled cause I live in Nebraska?

Valentine's Day: Two 1.5 inch Porterhouse from the butcher ($8.99 a pound, what's it like elsewhere?) 120, six hours, smoking hot cast iron, two minutes a side, crunchy goodness. Was absolutely the best steak I've ever eaten anywhere. If you're my friend on FB, you saw it! I don't know why people balk at these things. Expensive, yes, but I paid 30 bucks for two steaks that in a steakhouse woulda been around $80. It doesn't take long to pay for itself.

North316

bhodilee wrote:brought my setup in to work, got a Center Cut Pork Roast that I cut off the bones, then removed the chine and threw the ribs back in the bag, cause why not. 145 for five hours, we'll see how it turns out. Probably awesome.

Why do people buy meat from Costco? Have you not butchers or am I just that spoiled cause I live in Nebraska?

Valentine's Day: Two 1.5 inch Porterhouse from the butcher ($8.99 a pound, what's it like elsewhere?) 120, six hours, smoking hot cast iron, two minutes a side, crunchy goodness. Was absolutely the best steak I've ever eaten anywhere. If you're my friend on FB, you saw it! I don't know why people balk at these things. Expensive, yes, but I paid 30 bucks for two steaks that in a steakhouse woulda been around $80. It doesn't take long to pay for itself.

Because they have good quality meat at good prices; why else?

Most meat-market/butchers around here overcharge for lesser quality. Costco has butchers on staff so what the difference, besides possibly fewer choices?

8.99 sounds about average, at least for choice around here. This weekend at Costco strips were 6.99, ribeye 9.99 and filet 13.99. All are $1-3 cheaper per pound if you buy the whole loin/roast. Our Costco does not sell T-Bone/Porterhouse.

My CT