mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

Long day... we ended up butchering almost 300 chickens today.. plus I raised a turkey... he ended up weighing 42.5# after we got him cleaned...

as for the other pub stuff.... I like the variety of opinions and comments... it is what makes the pub fun!! if I don't agree or not interested... I just scroll down... just my opinion....

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
mommadeb1 wrote:Long day... we ended up butchering almost 300 chickens today.. plus I raised a turkey... he ended up weighing 42.5# after we got him cleaned...

as for the other pub stuff.... I like the variety of opinions and comments... it is what makes the pub fun!! if I don't agree or not interested... I just scroll down... just my opinion....

Wow that is a lot of butchering. I salute you. I don't think I could do it.

rjquillin

quality posts: 153 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:Long day... we ended up butchering almost 300 chickens today.. plus I raised a turkey... he ended up weighing 42.5# after we got him cleaned...

#42.5! After cleaning!? Sounds like a steroid monster you're gonna have to cook on an over-sized outdoor spit.
We did turkeys a few years back, and a couple topped out over 30 and really taxed to oven capacity, but 40+. Wow!
Gonna need to call in all the relatives for that feast.

CT

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
chemvictim wrote:Y'all are making me hungry with all this prime rib business.

I have ingredients for peanut butter fudge. It will be mine, oh yes.

Not really a fan of fudge, but that sounds like it would be pretty good.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

chemvictim wrote:I can't speak for others, but I'm not pissed off. But if you make a strong statement on a touchy subject, people are going to notice! The choices are to agree with you, to disagree, or to say nothing. Saying nothing makes for a dull pub.

Agreed.

I just think you think you've pissed someone off, when you haven't.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

Holy Crap! That's a big bird and a lot of birds to butcher. How many of you, and do you ever get sick of eating poultry?

--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 24 Private Messages bahwm

I like to think of the Pub as a place to hang out with a bunch of our friends. Sometimes we need a place to vent. Sometimes we need a place just to hang with friends and BS. Sometimes we come here to seek advice. Some of our wine.woot pub friends have become some of our really good friends over time. Many have traveled to Buffalo for various events and have even stayed with us and we have stayed with them. There's no place like home. And, I think we know how to call someone out for misbehavior, if needed. There are times, though, when I wish we could have access to that sarc font. . .

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

Yeah, what do you do with all of those chickens???

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:#42.5! After cleaning!? Sounds like a steroid monster you're gonna have to cook on an over-sized outdoor spit.
We did turkeys a few years back, and a couple topped out over 30 and really taxed to oven capacity, but 40+. Wow!
Gonna need to call in all the relatives for that feast.

no steroids!!!! just lots of love . .. we ended up taking the meat off the bone... the breasts were #8 each! legs were 4# each!... It was an experience... don't think I need to do again!

mommadeb1

otolith wrote:Holy Crap! That's a big bird and a lot of birds to butcher. How many of you, and do you ever get sick of eating poultry?

out of the 300 only 20 came home with us.... we raised 35 this time.. 15 went to a neighbor..

mommadeb1

we actually had to turn on the ac today.. our high was 85/6ish today!!!

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
mommadeb1 wrote:out of the 300 only 20 came home with us.... we raised 35 this time.. 15 went to a neighbor..

Friends up here raised about 40. Last year, someone gave them a "deplucker". Some kind of rotating drum with little rubber fingers that pull all the feathers off the dead chicken. Will do about six birds at once. Can't imagine 300.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Friends up here raised about 40. Last year, someone gave them a "deplucker". Some kind of rotating drum with little rubber fingers that pull all the feathers off the dead chicken. Will do about six birds at once. Can't imagine 300.

our friend built his "deplucker" so it makes it easier. and there were about 15 of us..maybe more so it wasn't too bad..

rjquillin

Do Bowties consume vodka?

CT

edlada

quality posts: 2 Private Messages edlada
mommadeb1 wrote:our friend built his "deplucker" so it makes it easier. and there were about 15 of us..maybe more so it wasn't too bad..

Killing, plucking and cleaning 300 chickens plus one 42.5 lb. turkzilla! The blood, the feathers, the mess, the horror!! I guess I am just a city guy, I can't imagine. I do love chicken soup though. Chicken soup is an art form in Poland.

My dogs like me, that is important.

klezman

quality posts: 113 Private Messages klezman
cheron98 wrote:Yup, well. Part of why I don't post so much anymore is because I end up pissing people off and I have to walk on eggshells and I don't have the energy to always have to do that, so I usually stay quiet these days. I have to save that energy for work so I don't piss off people at work. Apparently when people read stuff I type, it's always read in the wrong tone with the wrong voice and taken in the worst possible light. Does that say more about me and how I actually am - am I really that much of a lady elf? - or more about the world in general and how damn touchy everyone has become? You can't say anything anymore without pissing someone off. So I lurk more.

You know what...screw them!
Seriously...the Pub is supposed to be where none of that crap matters. Like in a real pub. So flip off your "do not offend" switch. And ddeuddeg, please don't stay in lurk mode.

2014: 17 bottles. Last wine.woot: Wellington Vitory x3 & Fjellene Walla Walla Reds
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm

The winemaker from Vinum Cellars is hanging out in the current thread.

chipgreen

quality posts: 152 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:You know what...screw them!
Seriously...the Pub is supposed to be where none of that crap matters. Like in a real pub. So flip off your "do not offend" switch. And ddeuddeg, please don't stay in lurk mode.

Anyone up for some darts?

mommadeb1

edlada wrote:Killing, plucking and cleaning 300 chickens plus one 42.5 lb. turkzilla! The blood, the feathers, the mess, the horror!! I guess I am just a city guy, I can't imagine. I do love chicken soup though. Chicken soup is an art form in Poland.

it really isn't too bad...my first try I had to stay on the bagging end... away from all the yucky stuff... all I had to do was weigh the bagged chicken.. by then it looks like what you get from the grocery store... now I'm on the rinsing station.. my son is at the defeathering or neck removal station... and mr. Mommadeb is at the killing station.. my daughter does not join us, she stays at home..for some strange reason..

mommadeb1

I haven't had a reply yet... so here goes again... anyone know about the wine made from grapes allowed to turn to raisins? good bad or indifferent? I want to get my folks some but don't want to shell out $60 for crap..

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

mommadeb1 wrote:I haven't had a reply yet... so here goes again... anyone know about the wine made from grapes allowed to turn to raisins? good bad or indifferent? I want to get my folks some but don't want to shell out $60 for crap..

Amarone?
Tokaji?

--John Muir

mommadeb1

sake made it!! which one do I want to chill for Christmas eve? we have Chinese/Thai take . (I do chill it..right?) what would the appropriate glass be to serve this?

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 168 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:I haven't had a reply yet... so here goes again... anyone know about the wine made from grapes allowed to turn to raisins? good bad or indifferent? I want to get my folks some but don't want to shell out $60 for crap..

Did you have some names? Because technically, you have Late Harvest wines (grapes left on vine after they are ready), Botrytis cinerea, or 'Noble rot' wines (grapes shriveled and unsightly), and Ice wines (grapes left on vine til frozen).

Looking up, there's Straw Wine, made from raisins. Sounds like most, if not all are sweet wines.

Reviewing it, I can recommend KEO's St. John Commandaria, one of CJ's favorites. It was very good.

French wines made in this style are called Vin de Paille. (Note: actually have it via Tablas Creek wine club, just haven't tasted it yet!)

Amarone della Valpolicella is a dry, bitter version, made by completing fermentation, but Recioto della Valpolicella is made by stopping fermentation, and thus is sweet.

Spain has Pedro Ximénez, which iByron can attest is a very good dessert wine.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Did you have some names? Because technically, you have Late Harvest wines (grapes left on vine after they are ready), Botrytis cinerea, or 'Noble rot' wines (grapes shriveled and unsightly), and Ice wines (grapes left on vine til frozen).

Looking up, there's Straw Wine, made from raisins. Sounds like most, if not all are sweet wines.

Reviewing it, I can recommend KEO's St. John Commandaria, one of CJ's favorites. It was very good.

French wines made in this style are called Vin de Paille. (Note: actually have it via Tablas Creek wine club, just haven't tasted it yet!)

Amarone della Valpolicella is a dry, bitter version, made by completing fermentation, but Recioto della Valpolicella is made by stopping fermentation, and thus is sweet.

Spain has Pedro Ximénez, which iByron can attest is a very good dessert wine.

Thanks! I think mom mentioned Amorone.. she saw it on some news show.. I will ask her...

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:sake made it!! which one do I want to chill for Christmas eve? we have Chinese/Thai take . (I do chill it..right?) what would the appropriate glass be to serve this?

The 50.
Chilled, yes; start 7~10C and let it warm from there to see how it evolves and where you like it.
Container: a masu. First rinse with water to swell the joints so they don't leak, and serve on a saucer.
Drink from a corner, unless you have a VERY large mouth.

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:The 50.
Chilled, yes; start 7~10C and let it warm from there to see how it evolves and where you like it.
Container: a masu. First rinse with water to swell the joints so they don't leak, and serve on a saucer.
Drink from a corner, unless you have a VERY large mouth.

what if I don't have a masu?

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:what if I don't have a masu?

buy one..?

CT

otolith

mommadeb1 wrote:Thanks! I think mom mentioned Amorone.. she saw it on some news show.. I will ask her...

otolith wrote:Amarone?
Tokaji?

Ahem...

--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Do Bowties consume vodka?

This is about the silliest question ever. Bowties consume pretty much anything that has proof listed on the label.

Though I don't buy vodka all that often.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:buy one..?

ha ha ha... you forget I live far from civilization!! stupid question...do I find a liquor store or specialty store? if I don't find one... what can I use as a substitute?

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:sake made it!! which one do I want to chill for Christmas eve? we have Chinese/Thai take . (I do chill it..right?) what would the appropriate glass be to serve this?

Yes, chill. I'd do the 50.

RJ, I keep seeing some new US sake from the Sierra Nevadas on TV. You had it?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:what if I don't have a masu?

Bah, drink it from your favorite wine glass.

I tend to use a zin glass

mommadeb1

bhodilee wrote:Bah, drink it from your favorite wine glass.

thanks! will prob. use wine glass... and look for other later.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
mother wrote:Ribs down- you want the fat on top so it bastes the roast while it cooks.

2nd'ed.

edthebedhead

polarbear22 wrote:We just ordered a full rib roast, about 18 lbs. Asked them to cut into two roasts. One is for Christmas Eve, but we only have four. So I expect we will send my son home with a large piece and leftovers here as well. Or should we cut the roast again before we make it.

Sounds like double the end cuts!

edthebedhead

edlada wrote:Killing, plucking and cleaning 300 chickens plus one 42.5 lb. turkzilla! The blood, the feathers, the mess, the horror!! I guess I am just a city guy, I can't imagine. I do love chicken soup though. Chicken soup is an art form in Poland.

As someone who has actually hand butchered and plucked chickens - just not 300. Good work.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Bah, drink it from your favorite wine glass.

Heathen, do yo not have a masu either?

CT

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Yes, chill. I'd do the 50.

RJ, I keep seeing some new US sake from the Sierra Nevadas on TV. You had it?

TV? Commercials?
Not aware of it.
Most, but not all, I drink is import.

You ever do shochu?

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
rjquillin wrote:Heathen, do yo not have a masu either?

I don't have one either. We had the 50 the other night, just used a wine glass. It was magnificent.