otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

In honor of Kyle,

Let's go with meh...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 30 Private Messages bahwm
ddeuddeg wrote:It's now scheduled for 7PM, with the reception tomorrow at 2. Thanks for the good wishes, good buddy.

I am sooooo glad we didn't try to get out there for this wedding! We would have had to take a day off from work on Fri, hustle to the wedding (hoping we would make it on time) and fly home on Sat morning--based on horrific airfares and timing on Sunday. Then, factoring in the terrible flooding and constant changes in plans, we would have missed the whole thing! Now, we still have our points and can use it for other travel, with a bit more time to spend, likely, these days, with our wine.woot friends! Plus, we were totally beat yesterday after the first full week of school!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

From last night & today, 15 full cases of wine and 2 3L boxes have now made their way off to storage....at a wonderful facility I was able to find (thanks to the original guy I was possibly going to use way out in Brooklyn) just 5.5 miles down the road from us.
Obtained another 5 empty cases from him while I was delivering some of the wines today, so now working on filling those up for them to also be added to the storage.
FINALLY freeing up some of the space in the condo from all these boxes of wine.
Though now also need to do a full re-inventory of the big wine fridge by probably taking everything out and re-allocating in it. Since a large number of the bottles are no longer in the bins I had them marked within CellarTracker.

But....making some progress finally!!!

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
HitAnyKey42 wrote:From last night & today, 15 full cases of wine and 2 3L boxes have now made their way off to storage....at a wonderful facility I was able to find (thanks to the original guy I was possibly going to use way out in Brooklyn) just 5.5 miles down the road from us.
Obtained another 5 empty cases from him while I was delivering some of the wines today, so now working on filling those up for them to also be added to the storage.
FINALLY freeing up some of the space in the condo from all these boxes of wine.
Though now also need to do a full re-inventory of the big wine fridge by probably taking everything out and re-allocating in it. Since a large number of the bottles are no longer in the bins I had them marked within CellarTracker.

But....making some progress finally!!!

nice! I don't have the number of bottles you do.. and I still can't find the time to do inventory!!

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mommadeb1 wrote:nice! I don't have the number of bottles you do.. and I still can't find the time to do inventory!!

Well it helps that I had the inventory going in a good way from the start, and I was always pretty good at marking bottles when I drink them and marking bottle locations when I bought new ones. It's only most recently and especially after yesterday that I now have dozens of bottles no longer in places that I could know where they are from looking at CT. So for the next round, it'll mostly be just grabbing stuff out of boxes and the fridge somewhat randomly to decide which stuff goes into storage next.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

I don't want to ruin a certain peoples yummy looking dinner so I'll just post a warning for others here, in hopes they see it later and take some immodium:

Avoid "white tuna" when eating sushi... It's almost never actually white tuna, but a fish which contains fats that you can't digest called escolar...

I think it's where they got the idea for olestra from ;)

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
mother wrote:I don't want to ruin a certain peoples yummy looking dinner so I'll just post a warning for others here, in hopes they see it later and take some immodium:

Avoid "white tuna" when eating sushi... It's almost never actually white tuna, but a fish which contains fats that you can't digest called escolar...

I think it's where they got the idea for olestra from ;)

A fine line between "white" which is quite tasty and "super white" that is run-the-other-way... Generally however Albacore will generally be named as such, or maguro. Bottom line, know and trust your Itamae!
[edit] some pics

CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rjquillin wrote:A fine line between "white" which is quite tasty and "super white" that is run-the-other-way... Generally however Albacore will generally be named as such, or maguro. Bottom line, know and trust your Itamae!
[edit] some pics

I don't have any links handy, but recent genetic testing has shown like 80%+ of all varients of "white tuna" [inclusive of "super" and "(albacore)"] being sold in the US to be escolar.

"Pant crappingly good" is the best tag for escolar ever, so thanks for that link

Apparently you never get real red snapper either, but at least the substitutes aren't natures exlax...