edthebedhead


quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
otolith wrote:So, I bought a car! Finally. A 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD with the tech package. It's awesome! It will be 3 wks ago tomorrow, which just happens to be 21 days, which just happens to be when the temporary license plates run out. First, I signed the form in the wrong place, so I had to go back to the dealer to fix that (you'd think they'd be able to tell me the correct place to sign since they're the experts at selling cars and having people sign loads of paperwork). So, did that. Next, I had to go get the plates (finally!). Put them on the car, and the tabs aren't on the plates! So, salesman says I've never seen this happen. I don't really want to drive there, so they will send them in the mail. I get the mail today, there's the letter, I open it up, and, guess what's missing? The tabs! I'm guessing they should say yes to wanting to drive them out to me to make sure I get them, no?

That doesn't even count trying to get the insurance crap figured out...



Enjoy the ride. We just got a new car too -last one was totaled (stop the damn texting... and I need to get license plates still. Oh well.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
kylemittskus wrote:Uh...It's 2013 still. I don't understand far companies and their let's pretend its 6 months from now production pitch.

MIL drives an MDX (2010 maybe?) and she loves it.



The idea is so they can hopefully be selling the last of that model year's new vehicles in its year (e.g. finishing up selling off 2013 models while it's still 2013). So basically each model year can have 18 months where it qualifies as "new", with 6 months of overlap time where you can still buy a new vehicle at a reduced rate, just not the newest vehicle. Keeps dealerships having "new car" inventory.

Just be thankful you don't see the new model year as soon as they start rolling off the production lines. In February. For realz.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Gotta spread the love or you look like a shill



Definitely need to spread the responsibility/privilege around. It's quite nice to see new folks putting their two cents in, actually.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
tdedek wrote:Of course, sending them their way. To you and Cheron as well. A lot to suddenly deal with. All my best hopes for your Grandmother to make a speedy recovery.



+1

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
cheron98 wrote:It occurs to me that one of you (usually you) always seems to fall ill upon travel to Europe...


No wonder. They never stop moving. Of course the body is going to generate a slow down signal.

They are just having too much fun.


Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:I have very sad news to share with my Woot family. An aunt to me for the past 10 years has passed away after a bad fall last night down the basement stairs of my grandmother's house where she and my uncle (who is living with the after-effects of a stroke many years ago) have been living. While trying to get down to help after the fall, my grandmother also had a fall down the same stairs cutting her leg pretty badly requiring a trip of her own to the hospital.
Please say some prayers for my grandmother, uncle, and family.



Not sure how I didn't see this yesterday. How is your grandma doing? Good thoughts for everyone headed your way.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bhodilee wrote:Not sure how I didn't see this yesterday. How is your grandma doing? Good thoughts for everyone headed your way.



She's doing ok, I guess. When she fell, she fell with her right leg under her which is what caused about a 4-inch gash in her leg. And since her skin is already so frail, they couldn't stich it. So she got a butterfly thingy with the leg being wrapped. She was already not planning on going to the wedding because she's been having a lot of back issues, though my parents had gotten a physical therapist to start working with her a few weeks ago. Apparently just a few days ago after one of the visits she actually told the therapist she was finally starting to actually feel a little better. But now all that work is down the tubes as the fall hurt her back again, and the butterfly bandage needs to remain for about a week or so. I was originally hoping that the physical therapy they got her to do would be enough to convince her to make the trip down for the wedding, but I don't see that as a possibility now.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
HitAnyKey42 wrote:She's doing ok, I guess. When she fell, she fell with her right leg under her which is what caused about a 4-inch gash in her leg. And since her skin is already so frail, they couldn't stich it. So she got a butterfly thingy with the leg being wrapped. She was already not planning on going to the wedding because she's been having a lot of back issues, though my parents had gotten a physical therapist to start working with her a few weeks ago. Apparently just a few days ago after one of the visits she actually told the therapist she was finally starting to actually feel a little better. But now all that work is down the tubes as the fall hurt her back again, and the butterfly bandage needs to remain for about a week or so. I was originally hoping that the physical therapy they got her to do would be enough to convince her to make the trip down for the wedding, but I don't see that as a possibility now.



That really sucks, my grandma couldn't make ours for health reasons also. Honestly, you won't even notice once the day starts. It's all a blur, then you get really drunk and lead conga lines that you have no recollection of until four years later when you finally go through wedding pictures, cause you're a guy and they don't interest you in the least, and you're like, did this actually happen?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:That really sucks, my grandma couldn't make ours for health reasons also. Honestly, you won't even notice once the day starts. It's all a blur, then you get really drunk and lead conga lines that you have no recollection of until four years later when you finally go through wedding pictures, cause you're a guy and they don't interest you in the least, and you're like, did this actually happen?



Speaking from experience, are we?

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cheron98 wrote:Speaking from experience, are we?



I can neither confirm nor deny that, though the photographic evidence is pretty compelling.

Word of advice, don't start your reception drinking Gentleman Jack.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

HitAnyKey42 wrote:She's doing ok, I guess. When she fell, she fell with her right leg under her which is what caused about a 4-inch gash in her leg. And since her skin is already so frail, they couldn't stich it. So she got a butterfly thingy with the leg being wrapped. She was already not planning on going to the wedding because she's been having a lot of back issues, though my parents had gotten a physical therapist to start working with her a few weeks ago. Apparently just a few days ago after one of the visits she actually told the therapist she was finally starting to actually feel a little better. But now all that work is down the tubes as the fall hurt her back again, and the butterfly bandage needs to remain for about a week or so. I was originally hoping that the physical therapy they got her to do would be enough to convince her to make the trip down for the wedding, but I don't see that as a possibility now.


Awwww. Sorry. Can you get a friend not going and a friend going to Facetime or webcast the wedding so she can watch it live?



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:If it did, they'd try to sell it in this wootoff


Nah, we'd put it in your Bricks of Chocolate



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ThunderThighs wrote:Nah, we'd put it in your Bricks of Chocolate



bah, I haven't tried for a Bricks of Chocolate in years. It used to be a nice momentary diversion to end wootoffs, but now I don't care. I did score two, and got good stuff both times though.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Well breaking down and finally getting some off site wine storage instead of trying to drink myself blind keeping up with my storage restrictions and buying habits.

Damn this hobby. But I love it! And now I'll have NJ and NY shipping addresses to help me navigate all the silly shipping laws. 2 free pick ups or deliveries every month is pretty nice too. Also have a deal set up with a lot of major stores and auction houses in NYC (Sotheby's, Crush, Chambers Street, etc) to consolidate orders for pickup @ $5 per case. Not bad.

cheron98


quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
tdedek wrote:Well breaking down and finally getting some off site wine storage instead of trying to drink myself blind keeping up with my storage restrictions and buying habits.

Damn this hobby. But I love it! And now I'll have NJ and NY shipping addresses to help me navigate all the silly shipping laws. 2 free pick ups or deliveries every month is pretty nice too. Also have a deal set up with a lot of major stores and auction houses in NYC (Sotheby's, Crush, Chambers Street, etc) to consolidate orders for pickup @ $5 per case. Not bad.



Might I ask where this is? HAK and I are badly in need of a wine storage solution that doesn't involve parents' basements and cardboard boxes.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cheron98 wrote:Might I ask where this is? HAK and I are badly in need of a wine storage solution that doesn't involve parents' basements and cardboard boxes.



Heh, she beat me to it. I was going to ask the same question, but got distracted by something else for a bit before I got around to clicking Reply.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
cheron98 wrote:Might I ask where this is? HAK and I are badly in need of a wine storage solution that doesn't involve parents' basements and cardboard boxes.



Domaine Wine Storage in Edison, NJ. They don't offer private access lockers at their NJ location. They inventory, barcode and store the wines for you. You check inventory and place orders for pickup or delivery online. Only drawback is there is a small fee per case to process and inventory them, just like other storage warehouses that operate this way.

I had to email to get full pricing info. If you're interested, you can PM me an email addy and I'll forward it over. I also have pricing info for a place in Clifton I can send over as well. Higher monthly rates but cheaper pickup and delivery.

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
tdedek wrote:I had to email to get full pricing info. If you're interested, you can PM me an email addy and I'll forward it over. I also have pricing info for a place in Clifton I can send over as well. Higher monthly rates but cheaper pickup and delivery.


PM sent.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bahwm


quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Kind of a slow start today. We grabbed breakfast at the hotel and went to the Basilica of Sacré Coeur (Sacred Heart Basilica). Beautiful views of all of Paris. This is a church meant for prayer --no photos allowed. We decided to visit the crypt and climb the 300 stairs to the dome! This is the highest point in Paris--if you're not airborne! Absolutely awesome! Got lunch nearby in the artist's square where a mime was performing. Ddeuddeg had a croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese sandwich with bread dipped in an egg batter) and I had a croque Madame (same as above but with a fried egg on top--quite good actually)with a citron pressé (freshly squeezed lemon juice served with sugar that you add as you wish and water to fill up the rest of the glass) and a mixed salad.

Got back to the hotel to rest for a little bit and freshen up before going to a concert at Saint Germain des Près. It was an awesome concert of Pachelbel's Canon in D, Albinoni's Adagio and Vivaldi's Four Seasons --all as we have never heard them before! The group that performed was phenomenal! I have never heard the presto soooo presto--but incredible! The acoustics in this church, built in 543, are sublime! I am so amazed and awed that we had the opportunity to be there.

Dinner at a cute little café: I had some ravioli with a white sauce and shaved parm. Ddeuddeg had the duck with mashed potatoes and a wine that he will post about. To bed now--another day awaits!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
polarbear22 wrote:No wonder. They never stop moving. Of course the body is going to generate a slow down signal.

They are just having too much fun.

We're just maintaining our usual tempo. Right. So today we thought we'd relax a bit, and take in a concert at the oldest church in Paris. Pachelbel Canon in D (the one everybody knows), Albinoni Adagio, Vivaldi Four Seasons Concerti. Nice relaxing evening, except that the soloist/conductor took everything faster than humanly possible. It was quite enjoyable, if not to say exhilarating. The audience was basically begging for an encore, so of course, he decided to reprise one of the presto movements, which he began by leaping about a foot in the air, and started playing on the way down. Needed a bottle of Château de la Terrière Brouilly 2011 to calm down afterwards. Did the trick nicely. Not big Beaujolais fans, but this was really lovely. Still planning tomorrow.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tdedek


quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
HitAnyKey42 wrote:PM sent.



Email sent

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
HitAnyKey42 wrote:She's doing ok, I guess. When she fell, she fell with her right leg under her which is what caused about a 4-inch gash in her leg. And since her skin is already so frail, they couldn't stich it. So she got a butterfly thingy with the leg being wrapped. She was already not planning on going to the wedding because she's been having a lot of back issues, though my parents had gotten a physical therapist to start working with her a few weeks ago. Apparently just a few days ago after one of the visits she actually told the therapist she was finally starting to actually feel a little better. But now all that work is down the tubes as the fall hurt her back again, and the butterfly bandage needs to remain for about a week or so. I was originally hoping that the physical therapy they got her to do would be enough to convince her to make the trip down for the wedding, but I don't see that as a possibility now.

sorry to hear all of this.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

ok here is my duhh mommadeb moment.....we are back in Atlanta to get our daughter... did I think of trying to get together with Atlanta wooters?? nope... not that smart!!! what can I say????

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin

International Saturday coming up..?

We need a pool.

CT

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 546 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:International Saturday coming up..?

We need a pool.


He has a pool.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:He has a pool.



I think you meant to use this one ...



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Stillman's newest blog post: short, sweet, and awesome.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin

With gravity's assistance, I seem to have created my own pool.

of now undrinkable wine and glass shards.
So far this day really sucks.

CT

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:With gravity's assistance, I seem to have created my own pool.

of now undrinkable wine and glass shards.
So far this day really sucks.



what happened?!!!! super sucky!!

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:what happened?!!!! super sucky!!

Bottom case, four down and four back. Narrow isle. Fetch bottle, after exhaustive search and twisting back, place on shelf to one side; turn, bump, fall, shatter. I think if I hadn't wretched my back earlier, I'd not have been as clumsy. I thought I knew where box 271 was, but I only find 270 and 272. Today's woot, and it smelled so good I really want a taste now. Where's the Hershey's is box 271? Waldo?

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 178 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Bottom case, four down and four back. Narrow isle. Fetch bottle, after exhaustive search and twisting back, place on shelf to one side; turn, bump, fall, shatter. I think if I hadn't wretched my back earlier, I'd not have been as clumsy. I thought I knew where box 271 was, but I only find 270 and 272. Today's woot, and it smelled so good I really want a taste now. Where's the Hershey's is box 271? Waldo?


I did that with one of my 3 bottles of Scott Harvey Forté. Actually, my cat did it but I left the bottle on a precarious perch so I have to at least share the blame.

It sure did smell good as I was cleaning it up and, like you, I have still not tasted the wine.

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Bottom case, four down and four back. Narrow isle. Fetch bottle, after exhaustive search and twisting back, place on shelf to one side; turn, bump, fall, shatter. I think if I hadn't wretched my back earlier, I'd not have been as clumsy. I thought I knew where box 271 was, but I only find 270 and 272. Today's woot, and it smelled so good I really want a taste now. Where's the Hershey's is box 271? Waldo?



double yuck... wrenched back and bottle down!! Be careful with your back!! I have pulled my back way too many times..... it sucks!!

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
chipgreen wrote:I did that with one of my 3 bottles of Scott Harvey Forté. Actually, my cat did it but I left the bottle on a precarious perch so I have to at least share the blame.

It sure did smell good as I was cleaning it up and, like you, I have still not tasted the wine.

Break a Forté? Those are too pretty to break, and the contents too good to waste.

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

So far, so good. I've only bought wine twice this month (3rd & 10th). Fingers crossed that WD doesn't put up Corison, Caton, SH, etc. up between now and Thursday!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin


quality posts: 169 Private Messages rjquillin
mommadeb1 wrote:double yuck... wrenched back and bottle down!! Be careful with your back!! I have pulled my back way too many times..... it sucks!!

Diclofenac to the rescue.

CT

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:So far, so good. I've only bought wine twice this month (3rd & 10th). Fingers crossed that WD doesn't put up Corison, Caton, SH, etc. up between now and Thursday!



great... now you cursed it!! ha ha ha.... I am hoping for more Gilbert reds....

mommadeb1


quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
rjquillin wrote:Diclofenac to the rescue.



for me its the chiropractor!

cortot20


quality posts: 131 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:So far, so good. I've only bought wine twice this month (3rd & 10th). Fingers crossed that WD doesn't put up Corison, Caton, SH, etc. up between now and Thursday!



You can pretty much count out the corison at this point. The last time she offered her cab. It was at a price I was unwilling to pay.

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:great... now you cursed it!! ha ha ha.... I am hoping for more Gilbert reds....



So am I!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:You can pretty much count out the corison at this point. The last time she offered her cab. It was at a price I was unwilling to pay.



I doubt she has any left, after what zTimBz has purchased!!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.