otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Happy 4th of July, everyone!

And heavens to BETSy!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm

Happy 4th of July everyone!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

I've been thinking of making some smoothies lately. I am not a really big smoothie fan--just because I haven't really tried them much. So, I pulled out the Breville blender that I bought here quite a while ago and low and behold--it has a smoothie setting! I had already frozen some bananas. I popped two of them out of the freezer, clean up some strawberries, washed and added some blueberries and some vanilla almond milk and turned the thing on the smoothie setting, of course! It has a timer setting that pulses for x number of seconds and a purée setting that does the same with several repetitions. In less than one minute, it's all done! This was a resounding success! My niece puts kale in her smoothies--not sure about that, but we found a few weeks ago that we do like kale--prepared correctly!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
bahwm wrote:I've been thinking of making some smoothies lately. I am not a really big smoothie fan--just because I haven't really tried them much. So, I pulled out the Breville blender that I bought here quite a while ago and low and behold--it has a smoothie setting! I had already frozen some bananas. I popped two of them out of the freezer, clean up some strawberries, washed and added some blueberries and some vanilla almond milk and turned the thing on the smoothie setting, of course! It has a timer setting that pulses for x number of seconds and a purée setting that does the same with several repetitions. In less than one minute, it's all done! This was a resounding success! My niece puts kale in her smoothies--not sure about that, but we found a few weeks ago that we do like kale--prepared correctly!

I like baby spinach and berries in mine. You can eventhrow oatmeal in as a thickener. I love smoothies

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bahwm

bhodilee wrote:I like baby spinach and berries in mine. You can eventhrow oatmeal in as a thickener. I love smoothies

Wow! There's a whole new world out there! I've just been searching various different ingredients to put into smoothies and it looks like one can make a smoothie out of just about anything!

otolith

Holy Crap is this brisket taking forever...I think it will be at least 7 hours. Must be in the stall right now.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
bahwm wrote:Wow! There's a whole new world out there! I've just been searching various different ingredients to put into smoothies and it looks like one can make a smoothie out of just about anything!

Wine Smoothies ;-)

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
otolith wrote:Holy Crap is this brisket taking forever...I think it will be at least 7 hours. Must be in the meat "dumb phase" right now.

IFTFY

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:Holy Crap is this brisket taking forever...I think it will be at least 7 hours. Must be in the stall right now.

Don't Panic!

(It's funny how we all know the stall will happen, and that it will take HOURS before temps start rising again, but can't help but get anxious over it!)

BTW Once I saw the "House seasoning" recipe following the brisket recipe, I think that sounds like a good salt/pepper heavy mix for a brisket!

otolith

mother wrote:Don't Panic!

(It's funny how we all know the stall will happen, and that it will take HOURS before temps start rising again, but can't help but get anxious over it!)

BTW Once I saw the "House seasoning" recipe following the brisket recipe, I think that sounds like a good salt/pepper heavy mix for a brisket!

It worked pretty well for a seasoning, as I liked the flavor.

Overall, although it tasted pretty good, I think it turned out ok. I've had brisket that just melts when you put in in your mouth, and this didn't quite do that. It was moist, but still a little tougher side. I did wrap it in foil and poured a little beer in with it during the stall. Then, it was taking so long, that I had to try to speed it along, so I turned up the temp on the smoker. I'm not sure what I would do differently next time. Will need to do a little more research.

--John Muir

otolith

pseudogourmet98 wrote:IFTFY

Hah!

--John Muir

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98

Are we the only ones that drank bubbly tonight? As anyone of our FB friends can see, we had a lovely 2008 Iron Horse Vineyards Classic Vintage Brut tonight while watching the fireworks on TV. And WOW, having it in Riedel glasses is such an amazing thing. We poured our first glass, and slowly sipped it throughout the Macy's fireworks display. The bubbles were still EXPLODING from the bottom of the glass over half an hour later. Then after the next glass....well, the bubbles are STILL going strong in my glass.

Everyone....you need to get yourselves some Riedel champagne glasses and drink some Iron Horse bubbly from them.....you'll simply be amazed!!!

PS. For dinner we had awesome grilled lamb with a bottle of 1999 Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah Leeds-Chavez Vineyard with it. Output Machine Failing, Guys! is it good! It's right at a good drinking phase right now, but probably just starting to come out of it's dumb phase. If you open one, decant it for an hour or so as it really didn't start to open up until we were an hour or so into our dinner. It'll really start to come into it's prime in the next 3-5 years though.

EDIT: Ooops, this was supposed to be posted by HAK. I was logged in as her again on this computer.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bahwm

cheron98 wrote:Are we the only ones that drank bubbly tonight? As anyone of our FB friends can see, we had a lovely 2008 Iron Horse Vineyards Classic Vintage Brut tonight while watching the fireworks on TV. And WOW, having it in Riedel glasses is such an amazing thing. We poured our first glass, and slowly sipped it throughout the Macy's fireworks display. The bubbles were still EXPLODING from the bottom of the glass over half an hour later. Then after the next glass....well, the bubbles are STILL going strong in my glass.

Everyone....you need to get yourselves some Riedel champagne glasses and drink some Iron Horse bubbly from them.....you'll simply be amazed!!!

PS. For dinner we had awesome grilled lamb with a bottle of 1999 Kent Rasmussen Petite Sirah Leeds-Chavez Vineyard with it. Output Machine Failing, Guys! is it good! It's right at a good drinking phase right now, but probably just starting to come out of it's dumb phase. If you open one, decant it for an hour or so as it really didn't start to open up until we were an hour or so into our dinner. It'll really start to come into it's prime in the next 3-5 years though.

EDIT: Ooops, this was supposed to be posted by HAK. I was logged in as her again on this computer.

Of course you're not the only ones drinking bubbly this evening! We opened a bottle of 2007 Iron Horse Commander's Palace Brut. In honor of Iron Horse, we used the Iron Horse glasses. Clunk, instead of Clink!

We had this with Italian Sausages with peppers and onions, homemade potato salad with bacon and grilled asparagus. Nice potato salad--supposed to be good hot or cold. We have some leftovers for tomorrow.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
cheron98 wrote:EDIT: Ooops, this was supposed to be posted by HAK. I was logged in as her again on this computer.

You'd better get used to it..

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
cheron98 wrote:Are we the only ones that drank bubbly tonight?

I wish I had, but I did not. I'll take your advice, though, for next time!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:Are we the only ones that drank bubbly tonight? As anyone of our FB friends can see, we had a lovely 2008 Iron Horse Vineyards Classic Vintage Brut tonight while watching the fireworks on TV. And WOW, having it in Riedel glasses is such an amazing thing. We poured our first glass, and slowly sipped it throughout the Macy's fireworks display. The bubbles were still EXPLODING from the bottom of the glass over half an hour later. Then after the next glass....well, the bubbles are STILL going strong in my glass.

Are you sure you weren't Cheron??

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

last night my kind wouldn't sleep, so I didn't sleep, then around 1 some guy decided he should piss on my tree so that was an interesting conversation. He told me he was really drunk and he knew it was totally inappropriate and he was really sorry, but he really had to pee man.

EVERY house on my block has a tree in the front yard. Why mine? Anyway, I'm beyond tired today

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

I know not of these tablets, but the price seems decent on the 16GB models.

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:last night my kind wouldn't sleep, so I didn't sleep, then around 1 some guy decided he should piss on my tree so that was an interesting conversation. He told me he was really drunk and he knew it was totally inappropriate and he was really sorry, but he really had to pee man.

EVERY house on my block has a tree in the front yard. Why mine? Anyway, I'm beyond tired today

He watered your tree, didn't he?

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

And darn WD for putting Clayhouse up! I Do Not Need more wine!!!!

Luckily, I was First Sucker on it last time, so I can hold out (maybe!) this time. Maybe.

otolith

bhodilee wrote:last night my kind wouldn't sleep, so I didn't sleep, then around 1 some guy decided he should piss on my tree so that was an interesting conversation. He told me he was really drunk and he knew it was totally inappropriate and he was really sorry, but he really had to pee man.

Guess peeing on the tree doesn't bother me...

Go take a nap, if you can, or do you have to work?

--John Muir

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
otolith wrote:Guess peeing on the tree doesn't bother me...

Even if you do have to work....go take a nap.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Guess peeing on the tree doesn't bother me...

Yeah, but now I gotta go out and mark my territory again damnit!

And I've been trying to take a nap, but these damn people won't leave me alone. Like I'm actually gonna do work on the day after a holiday when there are 4 people here.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

I would recommend this next year to handle any drunken 4th trouble. I'm setting mine up take out the cat next door who keeps digging up my new lawn.
http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CRO101-Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler/dp/B000071NUS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373044625&sr=8-1&keywords=scarecrow+sprinkler

CT

bhodilee

If this is even half true, Andre the Giant could have outdrank the entire pub!

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:Yeah, but now I gotta go out and mark my territory again damnit!

And I've been trying to take a nap, but these damn people won't leave me alone. Like I'm actually gonna do work on the day after a holiday when there are 4 people here.

Exactly! Especially when they know 386s will be setting off fireworks into the wee (or in your case, wee-wee) hours!

mother

x-post

mother wrote:So, a question I wish I didn't have to ask.

What's everyone's opinion on bottles that arrived and read 93.8 F when I held the tip of a Thermopen to the bottle? (Likely means it was a few degrees hotter)

Screw top = no idea if it's cooked or not, and since it's PN I'd normally give it AT LEAST a week to avoid travel shock.

The whole story here is that on Wednesday the FedEx terminal ran to my door and put a door tag on it saying nobody was home instead of actually, ya know, trying to deliver it. I instantly called FedEx and they refused to redeliver.

Three of us were sitting in the house looking out at the FedEx truck as I sheepishly admitted that while I had just gotten through telling them how I really don't buy much wine anymore, the FedEx guy just pulled up with some wine for me...

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
ddeuddeg wrote:I spent about 7 hours working on the lawn and gardens today in 89° heat. That's warm enough for me. I guess you'll just have to move north.

seeing how you have that funny thing called winter.... me moving up your way isn't going to happen!!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Wow! There's a whole new world out there! I've just been searching various different ingredients to put into smoothies and it looks like one can make a smoothie out of just about anything!

adding almond butter is also yummy!! We love making smoothies!!

mommadeb1

I can't believe it!! your tree must have spoken to him!!

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I have apparently caught the Pub's Jury duty bug, and starting today at 5pm I get to call and find out if I have jury duty next week. I get to do that every day next week. Bah, and knowing my luck I will probably not only be selected but also get seated for the trial.

mommadeb1

tiger7610 wrote:I have apparently caught the Pub's Jury duty bug, and starting today at 5pm I get to call and find out if I have jury duty next week. I get to do that every day next week. Bah, and knowing my luck I will probably not only be selected but also get seated for the trial.

Federal or county?

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mommadeb1 wrote:seeing how you have that funny thing called winter.... me moving up your way isn't going to happen!!

Winter, as a deterrent, is vastly overrated. We never experience devastating tornadoes, hurricanes, mudslides, forest fires, earthquakes, you name it. We get a bit of snow, we push it aside, life goes on. It gets a bit cold, we put on warm clothing, and go skiing, or icewine tasting, or whatever. We enjoy our 4 seasons, and the moderating influence of Lake Erie. Life is good.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

Trip plans coming together. Yeah!

mommadeb1

ddeuddeg wrote:Winter, as a deterrent, is vastly overrated. We never experience devastating tornadoes, hurricanes, mudslides, forest fires, earthquakes, you name it. We get a bit of snow, we push it aside, life goes on. It gets a bit cold, we put on warm clothing, and go skiing, or icewine tasting, or whatever. We enjoy our 4 seasons, and the moderating influence of Lake Erie. Life is good.

a bit cold?!!!!!! anything under 80 is cold!!!

I would be in for the icewine tasting!

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:a bit cold?!!!!!! anything under 80 is cold!!!

I would be in for the icewine tasting!

Ah, there we have it! Icewine tasting! We've had wooters come out this way from California for the Icewine festival in January. Javadrinker, not often seen in the pub these days, and Sparky even made it to a special tasting in uber frigid temps in Chicago. Those temps were cold for us, too! Justplainjulie & her hubby showed up this year from Texas. And, they're still alive!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:Ah, there we have it! Icewine tasting! We've had wooters come out this way from California for the Icewine festival in January. Javadrinker, not often seen in the pub these days, and Sparky even made it to a special tasting in uber frigid temps in Chicago. Those temps were cold for us, too! Justplainjulie & her hubby showed up this year from Texas. And, they're still alive!

I don't know if I could survive the cold....ha ha ha!!
oh by the way..... can I be a stowaway on your trip? please?!!
I hope you have a super great time!!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
ddeuddeg wrote:Winter, as a deterrent, is vastly overrated. We never experience devastating tornadoes, hurricanes, mudslides, forest fires, earthquakes, you name it. We get a bit of snow, we push it aside, life goes on. It gets a bit cold, we put on warm clothing, and go skiing, or icewine tasting, or whatever. We enjoy our 4 seasons, and the moderating influence of Lake Erie. Life is good.

Not saying that we don't have our fair share of weather issues in FL. I've actually had the eye of 2 hurricanes pass over me and been in/near many more over the years. I have been fortunate in that we have not had more harm than a few hours without power and a downed limb or two.

Most of my weather-related nightmares were from when I lived up north. I don't know how long you have lived near Lake Erie, but the winter of 1977 was brutal. As for tornadoes, I for one will NEVER forget Independece Day, 1969 along the shores of Lake Erie.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Not saying that we don't have our fair share of weather issues in FL. I've actually had the eye of 2 hurricanes pass over me and been in/near many more over the years. I have been fortunate in that we have not had more harm than a few hours without power and a downed limb or two.

Most of my weather-related nightmares were from when I lived up north. I don't know how long you have lived near Lake Erie, but the winter of 1977 was brutal. As for tornadoes, I for one will NEVER forget Independece Day, 1969 along the shores of Lake Erie.

I've spent my whole life here, starting in 1946, but I don't remember anything about a tornado on 7/4/1969, and neither do the history books. I do remember the winter of 1976-77, though. It was definitely a cold one, but that was before global warming. We had a bit of a blizzard arrive on January 28th, but within days, life was moving along more or less normally. If you ever decide to pay a return visit, let us know, and we'll show you some Buffalo wooter hospitality.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

mother

ddeuddeg wrote:I've spent my whole life here, starting in 1946, but I don't remember anything about a tornado on 7/4/1969, and neither do the history books.

*cough*