kerneltrap

quality posts: 8 Private Messages kerneltrap

wanted this

bardolator

quality posts: 3 Private Messages bardolator
kerneltrap wrote:wanted this

So did I. :/ The site is blocked by my school district--understandable, but annoying today!

idlorj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages idlorj

I ordered one last night. If anyone in the SF/Bay Area missed out and want a couple of bottles, feel free to contact me.

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern
bardolator wrote:So did I. :/ The site is blocked by my school district--understandable, but annoying today!

Heck I'd order it using my iphone if I had to (and have before).

bsevern

mudman2007 wrote:No problem if you missed it,they added every grape possible except the:

Hey that's false advertising, I cannot click on any of your PDF links.....what gives?

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos

I'm bummed I missed out on another holiday Woot Cellars offering. I didn't even check until the 2nd offering of the day was up. I knew I better be ready for gift week and still dropped the ball. I hope they saved some for a Woot-Off.

If anyone wishes to unload any, I'd love to get at least one bottle for the collection. Preferably with wine still in it, but I guess I'd settle for empty. I've gotten all of them before this except Humbug! and the Rinfrescante.

Flybranda

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Flybranda
Aracos wrote:I'm bummed I missed out on another holiday Woot Cellars offering. I didn't even check until the 2nd offering of the day was up. I knew I better be ready for gift week and still dropped the ball. I hope they saved some for a Woot-Off.

If anyone wishes to unload any, I'd love to get at least one bottle for the collection. Preferably with wine still in it, but I guess I'd settle for empty. I've gotten all of them before this except Humbug! and the Rinfrescante.

Where are you located? I wouldn't mind selling you one of mine if you're close by.

I'm in the DC / Northern VA area

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

bsevern

Cannot believe it, my Woot Cellars Blitzen arrived today!!!

Great job woot folks!

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith
Aracos wrote:I'm bummed I missed out on another holiday Woot Cellars offering. I didn't even check until the 2nd offering of the day was up. I knew I better be ready for gift week and still dropped the ball. I hope they saved some for a Woot-Off.

If you are near Nashville, TN, I'll give up one bottle.

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 234 Private Messages kylemittskus
bsevern wrote:Cannot believe it, my Woot Cellars Blitzen arrived today!!!

Great job woot folks!

Got mine today. Now where's my KR (not) Port?!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

noslensj

quality posts: 47 Private Messages noslensj
bsevern wrote:Cannot believe it, my Woot Cellars Blitzen arrived today!!!

Great job woot folks!

Arrived in Seattle today as well.

Aracos

quality posts: 6 Private Messages Aracos

Sorry, forgot to mention where I was located. I'm in SE WI just south of Milwaukee. Thanks in advance if anyone is interested in parting with any.

winelovernm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages winelovernm

The wine arrived at my office today. It sat out in the FEDex truck over the weekend during 20 degree day and lower temps at night. Do we have any options if the wine has gone bad due to the cold shipping conditions? I ordered a full case and just hope it will be good, but realistically, the bottles are extremely cold and the wine condition is dubious.

Gene

Just me.

DennisWKam

quality posts: 22 Private Messages DennisWKam

Staff

winelovernm wrote:The wine arrived at my office today. It sat out in the FEDex truck over the weekend during 20 degree day and lower temps at night. Do we have any options if the wine has gone bad due to the cold shipping conditions? I ordered a full case and just hope it will be good, but realistically, the bottles are extremely cold and the wine condition is dubious.

Gene

Awww... you don't want wine-icles? Alright then. Try out the wine just to make sure it hasn't gone bad. If it has, please email us at service@woot.com and we'll help you out.

tornadotj

quality posts: 6 Private Messages tornadotj

So has anyone tried this wine yet?

Mine arrived last night, and since we were about to go to a BYOB pizza place, we opened a bottle. Granted, I am fully aware that I did not open this first bottle under the best of conditions.

At first the nose was very pleasant. I immediately stated "Wow, this is a QPR winner! I should have bought my maximum allowance on these!"

After about 10-15 minutes in the glass and in the open bottle, it started to change. The wine took on a very green, vegetable character. The flavor got a little bit sour. This profile continued through the end of the bottle.

I should also mention we had a bottle of 2006 Rubissow Merlot and a bottle of 2007 Mayo Barbera open next to it. It was in tough company.

I'll be letting this wine sit for several months before opening the next bottle to see if things settle down. I'm really hoping this doesn't have underripe grapes in the mix.

Dallas, TX

mawy

quality posts: 9 Private Messages mawy

I got my case yesterday and because a couple bottles are going into gift boxes for family, I had to try it right away. I was... disappointed. The bottles were cold, but not shockingly so, so I doubt it went bad in transit - particularly as that was probably the fastest wine shipment I've had! But considering the maker and that I've never had a bad woot cellar, I just was not impressed. It was almost a smoky vinegary flavor that made me shudder when I downed the last gulp of it. Decanting and breathing may improve it, but there was very little difference between my first and second glasses. I'm afraid that its best use may be for marinating brisket, which is a little unfortunate for a wine with such a fine pedigree.

paulmd

quality posts: 5 Private Messages paulmd

Got mine yesterday, and opened one last night.. It was delicious. Thank you for a great QPR wine, Ty Caton!

tornadotj

mawy wrote:It was almost a smoky vinegary flavor that made me shudder when I downed the last gulp of it. Decanting and breathing may improve it, but there was very little difference between my first and second glasses. I'm afraid that its best use may be for marinating brisket, which is a little unfortunate for a wine with such a fine pedigree.

Sounds like you noticed the sour note I did. Mine also arrived cool, as we are in the middle of a cold snap here in Dallas. But it's not so cold that it would hurt the wine, I'm very confident it arrived in good shape.

Since we had two other bottles open, the Blitzen was open for about an hour, and never improved.

Dallas, TX

mawy

tornadotj wrote:Sounds like you noticed the sour note I did. Mine also arrived cool, as we are in the middle of a cold snap here in Dallas. But it's not so cold that it would hurt the wine, I'm very confident it arrived in good shape.

Since we had two other bottles open, the Blitzen was open for about an hour, and never improved.

I'm near Houston, so had a slightly warmer version of your cold snap! Are you going to try any mixers or use it for any cooking purposes to see if thats an improvement or just let them sit for a few months and try again?

tornadotj

mawy wrote:I'm near Houston, so had a slightly warmer version of your cold snap! Are you going to try any mixers or use it for any cooking purposes to see if thats an improvement or just let them sit for a few months and try again?

I noticed earlier in this thread a suggestion to let it sit a year. I don't know if I'll do that or not yet, but I will see what happens after a couple of months and assess further at that time.

Dallas, TX

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia
tornadotj wrote:So has anyone tried this wine yet?

Mine arrived last night, and since we were about to go to a BYOB pizza place, we opened a bottle. Granted, I am fully aware that I did not open this first bottle under the best of conditions.

At first the nose was very pleasant. I immediately stated "Wow, this is a QPR winner! I should have bought my maximum allowance on these!"

After about 10-15 minutes in the glass and in the open bottle, it started to change. The wine took on a very green, vegetable character. The flavor got a little bit sour. This profile continued through the end of the bottle.

I should also mention we had a bottle of 2006 Rubissow Merlot and a bottle of 2007 Mayo Barbera open next to it. It was in tough company.

I'll be letting this wine sit for several months before opening the next bottle to see if things settle down. I'm really hoping this doesn't have underripe grapes in the mix.

Cosign on this review. I tried my first bottle, and I was a bit disappointed. I think "sour" is a good description of what's disappointing in it. Here's hoping it improves with age.

gtcharlie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie
Cyradia wrote:Cosign on this review. I tried my first bottle, and I was a bit disappointed. I think "sour" is a good description of what's disappointing in it. Here's hoping it improves with age.

Unfortunately I am going to have to agree with the previous comments on this wines "sourness". I tasted the wine before heading to the forum so it was not a case of being influenced by the comments here. Interestingly my wife who has a more sensitive or refined palate (at least according to her) did not notice it. Granted she tasted it after it had been sitting in a decanter for a couple of hours so maybe it did open up somewhat. I too tasted it at that time and perhaps my judgement of the wine was influenced by my first glass. I puchased a case so there will be plenty of time to see how it evolves over time. Going to trust the winemakers pedigree and hope for the best. I will be interested to see others comments.

tornadotj

My assessment of it being "green" was before the wife got home. She joined us later (she works late sometimes) and I told her NOTHING of our tasting notes of the night. She started with the Rubissow, since she'd have killed me if we didn't save her some. Anyway, after that I poured her a taste of the Blitzen with a smile on my face and said "Try this!" She got a funny look and said "uh, I don't like that, it's SOUR". Sorry for the long story, but wanted to make it clear neither of us had preconceptions of what the wine was offering when we tasted it. I made it out to her like it was going to be a great wine ;)

Dallas, TX

Flybranda

Hello Great Doyens of Wine-Woot --

Maybe Ty?

Several comments above about a 'sour' and/or 'green/veg' taste.

Is this to be expected?

Is there a "solution" assuming this is not the desired flavor profile?
Does it need to lay down for a year?
Is even more aeration or extended decanting required?

I just got my shipment and was about to 'gift' some, but would really like to know what I'm giving to people and whether I need to pass on special advice along with the bottle.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. -Homer

Flybranda

Flybranda wrote:Hello Great Doyens of Wine-Woot --

Maybe Ty?

Several comments above about a 'sour' and/or 'green/veg' taste.

Is this to be expected?

Is there a "solution" assuming this is not the desired flavor profile?
Does it need to lay down for a year?
Is even more aeration or extended decanting required?

I just got my shipment and was about to 'gift' some, but would really like to know what I'm giving to people and whether I need to pass on special advice along with the bottle.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment!

F.Y.I. - I got this over on the CyberPub thread
"
MarkDaSpark wrote:Most of the more recent Woot wines (exceptions: Whites (Tri, Tri2, & Rhino), and D'ontspille) seem to need a year in the bottle to open.

Although I've gotten a "green/veg" taste when using the wrong glass sometimes.
"

wendy98765

quality posts: 1 Private Messages wendy98765

I'm not a wine drinker, but I'm highly susceptible to fun labels! Anyway, this is my 4th Woot Cellars and most probably my last if it's as bad as I'm hearing. My husband always gives me the look when I give him wine that I chose by myself due to fun labels. We still have a bottle or two of Boss Monster left. He won't even let me give it away. :\ That said, he did like the Emergency Holiday Provisions.

tornadotj

I was using a Schott Zwiesel Forte Bordeaux style glass to sample the wine.

The wine isn't "horrible". I should mention we drink wine on almost a daily basis (winos!) and are possibly hyper-sensitive to faults. I also want to remind you I had two very high quality wines next to it, both which are in the $30-$40 price range.

Upon further thought, without opening another bottle, I'm wondering if the fault is oxidation. I'd have to open another bottle to be sure, but based on memory I'm starting to think this might be it.

If the grapes were green, or if the wine is oxidized (whether while still must or when wine), it's permanent.

Anyway, I feel I'm being overcritical. It is a $10 bottle, and I've had far worse $10 wines.

Dallas, TX

gtcharlie

tornadotj wrote:I was using a Bordeaux Schott Zwiesel glass to sample the wine.

The wine isn't "horrible". I should mention we drink wine on almost a daily basis (winos!) and are possibly hyper-sensitive to faults. I also want to remind you I had two very high quality wines next to it, both which are in the $30-$40 price range.

Upon further thought, without opening another bottle, I'm wondering if the fault is oxidation. I'd have to open another bottle to be sure, but based on memory I'm starting to think this might be it.

If the grapes were green, or if the wine is oxidized (whether while still must or when wine), it's permanent.

Anyway, I feel I'm being overcritical. It is a $10 bottle, and I've had far worse $10 wines.

Very much agree with this comment also. I guess given the winemaker I was expecting a little more but you are absolutely correct. At the price point I have had worse also.

parkjam

quality posts: 0 Private Messages parkjam

Unfortunately for me I've had two delivery exceptions.
I called FedEx, but they weren't able to do anything for me.
Hopefully they deliver it tomorrow.

Chargerrt500

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Chargerrt500
Flybranda wrote:
MarkDaSpark wrote:Most of the more recent Woot wines (exceptions: Whites (Tri, Tri2, & Rhino), and D'ontspille) seem to need a year in the bottle to open.

So that means I open Twas this year and Blitzen next year? I have trouble thinking a day ahead, let alone a year.

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia
tornadotj wrote:I was using a Schott Zwiesel Forte Bordeaux style glass to sample the wine.

Also cosign on this (you're making my posting job easy!) I've had much worse bottles for $10, and I certainly drank it. I'm not opposed to pouring out wine that I find unpleasant to consume...and I didn't do that here. It's just a situation where I was hoping to win the $10/bottle jackpot, and instead am sorry I purchased 2 orders instead of 1.

Which, is only worth noting bc I've had such great experiences with Ty's wines that I'm surprised to regret ordering the full case. Of course, this experience didn't slow me down over the woot off, where I still bought up Ty's other bottles. Here's hoping the Blitzen is a fluke.

If I picked this off the grocery store shelf and opened it I'd think, well, it's not bad for $10, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

svwindom

quality posts: 12 Private Messages svwindom
Cyradia wrote:Also cosign on this (you're making my posting job easy!) I've had much worse bottles for $10, and I certainly drank it. I'm not opposed to pouring out wine that I find unpleasant to consume...and I didn't do that here. It's just a situation where I was hoping to win the $10/bottle jackpot, and instead am sorry I purchased 2 orders instead of 1.

Which, is only worth noting bc I've had such great experiences with Ty's wines that I'm surprised to regret ordering the full case. Of course, this experience didn't slow me down over the woot off, where I still bought up Ty's other bottles. Here's hoping the Blitzen is a fluke.

If I picked this off the grocery store shelf and opened it I'd think, well, it's not bad for $10, but I don't think I'll buy it again.

I am in the exact same situation and feel exactly the same way. Except I restrained myself during the woot-off, and I think it IS kinda bad for $10. Maybe I've lucked out with some $10 wines in the past, but yeah, I'm bummed that I spent the money on a case.

Corrado

quality posts: 130 Private Messages Corrado

Volunteer Moderator

gtcharlie wrote:Very much agree with this comment also. I guess given the winemaker I was expecting a little more but you are absolutely correct. At the price point I have had worse also.

Caveat: I have not had this wine.

However, with the exception of Rinfrescante, I have had all of the previous woot wines. Without exception, every red was significantly improved after a year in the cellar. If you can reasonably do so, drink one bottle of Blitzen now and take good notes on how it smells/tastes/finishes and forget about the rest of your bottles until next year's holiday wine.woot offer is released. Even if you don't have a cellar, put it in the bottom of a closest in the coolest area of your home and fuhgeddaboudit for a year.

...or you can drink it all now and kick yourself next year when wooters are talking about how vastly improved Blitzen is from when they received it...

Corrado's Training Blog @ http://DrawnOutsideTheLinesOfReason.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/Corrado

It's not my fault that I love Gatzby! He's such a pretty, pretty "man."

gtcharlie

Corrado wrote:Caveat: I have not had this wine.

However, with the exception of Rinfrescante, I have had all of the previous woot wines. Without exception, every red was significantly improved after a year in the cellar. If you can reasonably do so, drink one bottle of Blitzen now and take good notes on how it smells/tastes/finishes and forget about the rest of your bottles until next year's holiday wine.woot offer is released. Even if you don't have a cellar, put it in the bottom of a closest in the coolest area of your home and fuhgeddaboudit for a year.

...or you can drink it all now and kick yourself next year when wooters are talking about how vastly improved Blitzen is from when they received it...

Never really having had much restraint with bottles at this price I am making a new years resolution early and putting 10 bottles away in the cellar in the back corner. I must drink one more to take those notes you mentioned and because curiousity always gets the best of me...

swmbo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages swmbo

I can taste the 'green'/'sour' note but I actually find it extremely pleasant and enjoyable. I'm on my second bottle already, and usually I *never* drink the same bottle twice in a row.

Which does make me say - if anybody in the KC area ends up hating it and wants it taking off their hands, message me!

svwindom

quality posts: 12 Private Messages svwindom

Actually, the leftovers of last night's bottle taste better than it did then, which implies to me it's not an oxidation problem but a youth problem. I guess I'll put aside the bottles for a while - although I was hoping for a drink-now cheapie. I guess I'll just have to look for another one...

PS Corrado, you might recognize me from under a different name on RWOL...

mawy

4 of my case are going to be gifts in what is fast turning into a Woot gift basket! I'm going to attach a note to the wine saying to cellar for a year and then hope for the best. I'll never hear the end of it if its still bad cos I spread the good word about Wine.Woot constantly! Fingers crossed!

tonycyndy

quality posts: 14 Private Messages tonycyndy

Opened my first bottle tonight, with takeout pizza...and I truly was not disappointed. The initial nose on the glass was astounding...nearly knocked my socks off with a cherry/berry aroma before I was even close to the bowl. I ran it through the vinturi and it was pleasant enough; I really detected nothing of a "sour" nature. I was very happy with my first glass. It's now an hour later, and it's still doing well, perhaps even better as it has settled down. I'd be happy to let most of it sit till next year, but I'm sure that I'll enjoy another bottle before the holidays are over.

jelliott04

quality posts: 9 Private Messages jelliott04

We opened our first bottle tonight. I'm glad I bought a case.

Personally I think it is a little fruity almost like grape juice which may be where the sour is coming from for those of you that mentioned that? I did not share any comments on the Blitzen from the forums with my spouse. He is generally susceptible if someone tells him what to expect, so I didn't.

He said it was sharp on first taste but drinkable in a good way. Aerated and tasted immediately.

I thought it was on the sharper fruity side but enjoyable, especially at the price point. Easy to drink. We did have it sitting by a drafty window so it is a little on the chilled side.

Again, glad I bought a case.

gtcharlie

Opened a second bottle last night to taste before putting the rest away for awhile. Very pleasantly surprised. Honestly I did not notice the "sourness" I tasted the first time and this one spent less time being open as we had some friends over. All agreed while the nose was the best part of the wine right now it was an enjoyable bottle of wine. Back to being glad I ordered a case as it will be interesting to see how it develops.